Camp update

Camp update

There are 7 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Aug 13, 2008, titled Camp update. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Kyle Boller connected on eight of his first nine passes during full-team drills.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

Jacob

Catonsville, MD

#1 Aug 13, 2008
The overreaction on Connely's blog to Flacco's three pass attempts is sickening. Do people honestly believe that is a sufficient sample to be representative of how good/bad Flacco is right now?

Everytime you read something about Flacco in a redzone or two-minute drill situation, the commentary is largely positive.

I guarantee, at the very least, he becomes a solid pro, above average pro--at least on the success level of matt hasslebeck. I think he'll be much more.
Chi Chi

Lutherville Timonium, MD

#2 Aug 13, 2008
I can't believe I just read a big city newspaper reporter write the word "dawg."
Joshua Radice

Annapolis, MD

#3 Aug 13, 2008
Jacob wrote:
The overreaction on Connely's blog to Flacco's three pass attempts is sickening. Do people honestly believe that is a sufficient sample to be representative of how good/bad Flacco is right now?
Everytime you read something about Flacco in a redzone or two-minute drill situation, the commentary is largely positive.
I guarantee, at the very least, he becomes a solid pro, above average pro--at least on the success level of matt hasslebeck. I think he'll be much more.
Jacob, I suggest you read this particular bloggers previous posts again. This is the first time he has had a day where his Flacco commentary was anything more than lukewarm (at best).
Jim from Dundalk

Finksburg, MD

#4 Aug 13, 2008
I have been to several camps and based on this and several articles I'm afraid Troy hasn't stepped it up enough to justify starting him over Kyle,,,,,,,,,,I was hoping for better , like one of the Q-backs to really separate from the others,,,,,,,,,,just don't know what to expect out of this year now..........
Ravens_Flock

Menlo Park, CA

#5 Aug 13, 2008
Personally, I love how the article starts by pointing out that Kyle made 8 of 9 passing attempts in full team drills, but then mentions that he "gave it all back" by throwing ONE interception. In camp. Seriously, I would rather have a high percentage, accurate passer who throws an INT once in a while, to a wild, "run 'n gun" passer who could easily wind up throwing INTs all the time.

For all people's complaints about Kyle's alleged "short passes"....fact is, high percentage passes, "short" or not, move the chains and get a team downfield. As a matter of fact, I do believe they call that the "West Coast Offense", high percentage passes, yards after the catch, move the chains kind of football.

Also, I'm encouraged by the fact that for the first time all training camp, this article didn't include Demetrius Williams in the injured players list. Either he forgot, or that means there is finally some positive progress on Williams' leg, meaning he could actually be ready to play the season opener. Get Williams and Heap out there on the field, healthy, and Boller's numbers will go up. Trust that.
Mike in Ohio

Columbus, OH

#6 Aug 13, 2008
It ultimately only matters what you do at game time. None of the QB will amount to anything splitting reps (with the 1st team) between the three during practices. Good or Bad practices don't necessarily correlate to how well or bad they will do at game time.
Joshua Radice

Virginia Beach, VA

#7 Aug 13, 2008
Ravens_Flock wrote:
Personally, I love how the article starts by pointing out that Kyle made 8 of 9 passing attempts in full team drills, but then mentions that he "gave it all back" by throwing ONE interception. In camp. Seriously, I would rather have a high percentage, accurate passer who throws an INT once in a while, to a wild, "run 'n gun" passer who could easily wind up throwing INTs all the time.
For all people's complaints about Kyle's alleged "short passes"....fact is, high percentage passes, "short" or not, move the chains and get a team downfield. As a matter of fact, I do believe they call that the "West Coast Offense", high percentage passes, yards after the catch, move the chains kind of football.
Also, I'm encouraged by the fact that for the first time all training camp, this article didn't include Demetrius Williams in the injured players list. Either he forgot, or that means there is finally some positive progress on Williams' leg, meaning he could actually be ready to play the season opener. Get Williams and Heap out there on the field, healthy, and Boller's numbers will go up. Trust that.
If you have to pick an extreme (cautious or wild) for your QB, then cautious has been shown to be a winning formula (Brad Johnson's Superbowl run in Tampa, Trent Dilfer's Superbowl run here, Ben Roethlisberger's Superbowl run, etc...) But the elite QB's know when to play is safe, and when to roll the dice.

Boller has enough raw talent to be a serviceable QB, but when you dink and dunk all the time, the safeties start to crash down on your short and intermediate routes making your throwing lanes close down (i.e. making all your throws have to go into traffic). This also causes your running game some heartache with the safeties so close behind the linebackers. He's got to take enough shots to at least keep the DB's honest...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jim Leonhard Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dyer: Darrelle Revis Needs To Be Better Than Th... (Sep '12) Sep '12 Makes no sense 2
News 2012 NFL Mock Draft: Mock Draft Round Up New Yo... (Feb '12) Feb '12 bigtool 1
News Namath: Rex yapping too much (Sep '11) Sep '11 Joefarts 2
News Tackling the Jets' biggest questions (Aug '11) Aug '11 Mark Sanchez 6
News Former UMass defensive lineman Brandon Collier ... (Aug '11) Aug '11 your roommate Mud... 4
News CLASH OF TITANS: It's not the Super Bowl, but s... (Dec '10) Dec '10 Florida Retiree 85
News Train conductor declines NFL offer (Dec '10) Dec '10 HeadCheese 6
More from around the web