Jets made smart move in getting rid o...

Jets made smart move in getting rid of Coles

There are 15 comments on the Newsday story from Feb 26, 2009, titled Jets made smart move in getting rid of Coles. In it, Newsday reports that:

Say this much for Laveranues Coles : Since coming to the Jets as a third-round pick in 2000, the guy has been a warrior, playing through sprained ankles, sore knees and concussions.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

richieb pennsylvania

Mantua, NJ

#1 Feb 26, 2009
good move ,we need recievers that are taller !! and are fast !! thank you
Doug

Delmar, NY

#2 Feb 26, 2009
Great move ridding ourselves of Coles. Jets need some deep speed on the outside and he was always hobbled. It's about production, and 850 yards from a starting WR won't cut it.

I'll remember his drop of a lazer pass by Favre on fourth down on last possession in Seattle. That game was the killer and big players-ones who were paid as much as Coles, haul that one in.

Every year it was the same sorry song with him. For someone who has made a ton of money for a third round draft pick with a record, his grousing about money always irked Jets fans.

Then Chad was traded and he had another bone to pick. Didn't make Favre's assilimation any easier. The draft is loaded with speedsters and its time for the Jets to acquire some deadly speed on offense.

Percy Harvin can fly and so can Jermey Macklin. Go get one of them.
DTB
Joshua Rosenstock

Elmhurst, NY

#3 Feb 26, 2009
Shouldn't the Jets be thinking about drafting a QB in the first round? Is Brett Ratliffe really going to get it done?
Steven

Pomona, NJ

#4 Feb 26, 2009
Doug wrote:
Great move ridding ourselves of Coles. Jets need some deep speed on the outside and he was always hobbled. It's about production, and 850 yards from a starting WR won't cut it.
I'll remember his drop of a lazer pass by Favre on fourth down on last possession in Seattle. That game was the killer and big players-ones who were paid as much as Coles, haul that one in.
Every year it was the same sorry song with him. For someone who has made a ton of money for a third round draft pick with a record, his grousing about money always irked Jets fans.
Then Chad was traded and he had another bone to pick. Didn't make Favre's assilimation any easier. The draft is loaded with speedsters and its time for the Jets to acquire some deadly speed on offense.
Percy Harvin can fly and so can Jermey Macklin. Go get one of them.
DTB
Again, another fan with no gratitude.

1) We don't have many receivers that go down the middle much, often its slight left or right out of the pocket.

2) The Seattle game: Coles had the ball in his hands and had it knocked away at the last second.....but it never should've happened because the Jets had no business going for it on 4th down from their own 20 yard line with 3 timeouts left. Much as either way, it hurt.

3) Being pro-Chad, I can't blame him for being upset about Chad leaving. His overnight dumping was absurd and we did you apparently wanted by getting Brett not-a-Jet and look at what happened- Chad went to January, we did not. Karma was indeed a bitch.

4) Schottenheimer's play calls often had Coles and Cotchery on lock, especially in the final 5 games. Yet, he's still here!
TnJetsFan

Johnson City, TN

#5 Feb 26, 2009
Couldn't agree more Bob. Especially when Coles dropped several passes down the stretch last year including the one in Seattle which would have given Jets a first down and may have led to a win. It was a tough catch but Coles has made many tougher ones. I don't think his heart is in the game anymore - Until the team ponies up money, then he plays for a while.
scionce

United States

#6 Feb 26, 2009
coles is going to miami. everyone knows what comes next. we've seen this story too many times before.
scionce

United States

#7 Feb 26, 2009
Steven wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, another fan with no gratitude.
1) We don't have many receivers that go down the middle much, often its slight left or right out of the pocket.
2) The Seattle game: Coles had the ball in his hands and had it knocked away at the last second.....but it never should've happened because the Jets had no business going for it on 4th down from their own 20 yard line with 3 timeouts left. Much as either way, it hurt.
3) Being pro-Chad, I can't blame him for being upset about Chad leaving. His overnight dumping was absurd and we did you apparently wanted by getting Brett not-a-Jet and look at what happened- Chad went to January, we did not. Karma was indeed a ****.
4) Schottenheimer's play calls often had Coles and Cotchery on lock, especially in the final 5 games. Yet, he's still here!
i loved coles as a player. tough as nails and all team (for the most part anyway). i thought bringing in favre was a huge mistake, which, i believe, johnson forced tangini to pull the trigger on just so he could justify selling PSLs. chad would've kept the gameplans from being so limited because he could recite the playbook in his sleep and gotten us to the post season, but all that's history now.

though i would like to offer you some enouraging thoughts steven:

1. we have a receiver that can thrive in the middle in the young dustin keller, though his run blocking is still suspect.

2. by acquiring favre so late, schotty was forced to pare down the playbook - never a good thing - and had the situation compounded by mangini's micro-management. supposedly he's going to have a more free reign of the O this year, so i'll hold judgment 'til next season's end.
UR NOT THE COACH

United States

#8 Feb 27, 2009
Joshua Rosenstock wrote:
Shouldn't the Jets be thinking about drafting a QB in the first round? Is Brett Ratliffe really going to get it done?
Hey maybe you should do some research on 1st round QB's in the draft and come back and let me know how many have been drafted and how many of those actually were good enough.
Stop being a tool!
There is no guarantee the draft will give the jets anything better then they've already got.
Besides, Clemens was a 1st rounder. And Ratliff outplayed him. Why is it so inconceivable to you that ratliff has talent. There are plenty of 1st round QB's that scouts thought were great but were garbage. I'd rather spend the picks more wisely.
Maybe when you stop listening to Mel Kiper on draft day, you'll learn something.
gosiecki

Gilbert, AZ

#9 Feb 27, 2009
i miss Wayne Chrebet
True Grit

New York, NY

#10 Feb 27, 2009
Coles b*tched and moaned about money and took the money and ran to Washington. Where after a few years he b*tched and moaned and took more good money and came back to NY. Then he b*tched and moaned for an extention with two years left on his deal. Jets were nice enough to guarantee his last two years, then he b*tched and moaned again with a guaranteed 7 mil still coming in to him. Now he can b*tch and moan to no one in particular. Unless he takes less money to be with his buddy and pal Penny in Miami.
J-E-T-S

Portsmouth, VA

#11 Feb 28, 2009
JETS OFFENSE IS DONE FOR! Good luck winning with QB Ratwhoever and no weapons on the offense LOL. Oh wait you guys have Robert Royal visiting who couldn't even stay in Buffalo LOL
Coles

AOL

#12 Mar 1, 2009
I'm glad to leave. This team sucks.
gosiecki

Gilbert, AZ

#13 Mar 2, 2009
Coles wrote:
I'm glad to leave. This team sucks.
you were part of the reason it sucked. go to the fins ass. they could use your sorry ass right along with pussington.
Capt Rich

Palm City, FL

#14 Mar 2, 2009
To your point. Clemens was taken in the end of the second round (#49 pick)
Coles

AOL

#15 Mar 2, 2009
Pennington does suck, I hated playing with that joke. But he did knock the Jats out. Why do my former Jets just simply suck period?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jerricho Cotchery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trade For Kevin Norwood Shows Carolina Panthers... (Sep '15) Sep '15 Fart news 2
News Steelers receiver Antonio Brown demands more pa... (Sep '13) Sep '13 George 1
News How Will Antonio Brown Perform with Mike Wallac... (Mar '13) Mar '13 BIGG MIKE 2
News Pittsburgh Steelers: Which Free-Agent Loss Will... (Mar '13) Mar '13 John Polvere 1
News Steelers sign WR Plaxico Burress (Nov '12) Nov '12 Rob 1
News Steelers WR Brown likely to sit out vs. K.C. (Nov '12) Nov '12 Romeo Crapnel 1
News Pittsburgh Steelers: Kevin Colbert Understands ... (Jul '12) Jul '12 steel pony 1
More from around the web