Green Bay Packers Should Sign Jermichael Finley to Long Term Deal

Feb 20, 2013 Full story: BleacherReport 35

The Green Bay Packers are going to be undertaking a lot of changes to their 53-man roster this offseason.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
GBPmies

Finland

#21 Mar 1, 2013
Does anyone know or have an idea what the Packers might get this year for the draft compensatory picks in the 2013?

Lost Flynn and Wells
signed Saturday.
eric

Marshfield, WI

#22 Mar 1, 2013
They fiqure ( from what ive read) a pick after the 4th or 5th
Id like to trade either Tramon WIlliams, J.Finley or Hawk for a nice pick ( piece to trade up with OR that extra draft pick)
GBPmies

Finland

#23 Mar 1, 2013
eric wrote:
They fiqure ( from what ive read) a pick after the 4th or 5th
Id like to trade either Tramon WIlliams, J.Finley or Hawk for a nice pick ( piece to trade up with OR that extra draft pick)
Yep I would like the same, except I would like to keep TW and see how he does this year. He always covers the other teams best WR and it will be interesting to see if he can become a leader now that he is the oldest DB we have.

I think almost the entire GB dline will become FAs in 2014. We need some new talent!
eric

Marshfield, WI

#24 Mar 1, 2013
Yep, Hence trading someone like Finley or Hawk to free up cap space and an extra pick/trade up in the draft bait
eric

Marshfield, WI

#25 Mar 1, 2013
The good thing is the boring part of the offseason is almost done ( between the SB and FA starting,,early Feb. to early mid March)then some fun starts, signing FA and that can change whats what in the draft as well.
normallylikeyell ow

Altoona, PA

#26 Mar 2, 2013
Atlanta would make a deal for Finley. They just made the cap room... He'd really help them. They need corners too. Dunta Robinson got released and Brent Grimes is a FA. So how about Williams too? Happy eric? He can compete with Asante Samuel for most missed tackles.

In return I ask you not to trade AJ Hawk. Trade him for whom? A draft pick? He's the captain of our defense-especially with Woodson gone. When you read what the Packers say about this, they emphasize Hawk's 157 takcles, steady play, leadership and understanding of the scheme. You don't just replace that with a rookie. A FA is going to cost big $. And--the way his contract is structured, you only gain $ 2.25 million in cap space by getting rid of him anyway (SI Sports). He's ripe for a re-structure deal. Extend him to 3 years, then draft a replacement.
eric

Marshfield, WI

#27 Mar 2, 2013
I like Hawk,,,He solid, plays every game,calls teh defensive plays,hes a fine example of leadership but hes also 6M in cap space and slowing down a bit at LB when GB needs to get faster there..
ATL i think is trying to convince Tony Gonzales not to retire and come back for 1 more season,if he does retire,who knows.
IF GB can trade Williams for some talent,Yes,id be happy.
Shields, House and Hayward are 3 fine corners and WIlliams is clearly not the corner he was.
My problem with WIlliams is his swing and miss vs Adrian Peterson.IF Williams tried and missed id have ZERO problem,he didnt even attempt it and to the point Aikman commented on not wanting any piece of AP.( who does,but, try anyway)
We need cap space,IF they can trade Finley,prob.solved if they can trade Finley and WIlliams,fine.
NOW that Flacco is going to sign with Baltimore 6 years and one of the most expensive deals in NFL history ( from what they said on the radio) Rodgers price just skyrocketed unless he would take less as he cares more abut SB championships,then a few Million more per year ,other wise, we will need more cash..hence trading or cutting Williams.Even the coaches said Williams has to win his job next year,he was an automatic a few years ago.
normallylikeyell ow

Altoona, PA

#28 Mar 2, 2013
As I pointed out above, Hawk's deal doesn't cost his full salary in cap space in 2013, according to SI. And where's the evidence that he's slowing down? He had more tackles this year than in 2011. Desmond Bishop had 67 fewer tackles in 2011, when he played 15 games. And he missed most of last season. And he's only 1 year younger than Hawk. D.J. Smith has 61 career tackles in 9 starts. Hawk averages just under 10 a game. Robert Francios has started 3 games in his career. Terrel Manning has no starts. Brad Jones is a FA. Those are your replacements. I don't see Kevin Minter or Monti Teo giving us that kind of production out the gate. And the FA guys like Spencer and Ellerbe are going to get far north of that 5.86 we're paying Hawk. He's good value imo. We didn't lose to SF because of offense.
eric

Marshfield, WI

#29 Mar 2, 2013
I dont think Minter will be there at 26 either.If we can sign a DE like Canty or Cullen Jenkins or find a legit DE in the draft,that should certainly help things along.Evidence of Hawk slowing down is he doesnt cover the TE as well as he used to.I still say getting Bishop back will help ( even coming back from injury,) ACL arent quite as bad as he used to be as far as returning.
Perry coming back helps as well
SO,if you want to go Perry,Hawk,Bishop and Mathews across the board nad Manning ( a year under his belt) and IMO he will be a solid LB,Smith as well so anyway you look at it,GB has to bring in at least 1 LB if not 2.Im looking at Cap space and some biggies coming up
GBPfan

Ettrick, WI

#30 Mar 4, 2013
I heard: "It's possible the Packers will also part with tight end Jermichael Finley, who has reportedly refused a reduction in his salary after catching 61 passes for 667 yards and two touchdowns in 2012."

This is a no-brainer. The Packers can't tell Jennings he isn't worth slightly more than Finley and then pay Finley the assinine amount of money he would receive under his last contract. If the Packers are allowing their best receiver to leave, Finley must go! Finley isn't half the receiver that Jennings is. if Jennings is too expensive, then Finley is a complete waste of money.
eric

Marshfield, WI

#31 Mar 4, 2013
question is,do they want to lose Jennings and Finley in the same off season?
They didnt use teh franchise tag on Jennings so he hits the market ( which is no surprise),we shall see if Jennings gets the money hes looking for and if not,will he resign in GB for what he made?
Laughing Bear Fan

Denver, CO

#32 Mar 5, 2013
The Pack has to look at a 2-year timeframe. AR's contract comes due next year right? He'll probably get more than Flunko so expect a lot of cap casualties this year. That's an ugly truth
eric

Marshfield, WI

#33 Mar 5, 2013
Very true about some cap casualties.Im pretty sure( IMO) Mathews and Raji will get done this year.Im thinking Rodgers gets done next year but a few players will get it.
Woodson was one of them,Hawk ( if Desmond Bishop,DJ Smith prove healthy OR if Terrell Manning,Jamarie Lattimore prove to have taken the next step forward) OR if GB lands a LB with an upper pick.
I do believe at some point, Tramon Williams will be another.Devon House if his shoulder heals,is a legit starter( no reason why it wont) Shields is getting much better and Casey Hayward is terrific.SO while GB cut Woodson already, Williams is a big name who can be traded for a pick and turned into 2 picks.It happens to all teams at some point ( cap problems) its just who has the best teams to deal with them and TT ( so Far) has proven to have done a nice job Cap wise.IF they sign Chris Canty,im thinking after this year coming up Ryan Pickett is another 5M or so that can be freed up and at 36 or so,how much does he have.
I just hope one of the younger WRs step up ( Boykins or Jeremy Ross) as James Jones and Jordy Nelson are FA after the 13 season,so one of them will prob. be gone as well ( fortunetly at this point,GB nd TT are doing terrific at restocking WR) and Randall Cobb will get himself a huge deal in a couple of years ( unless GB can buy him out of his last year of restricted and sign him LT and save a million or 2 over 5 years) and I pray GB drafts a good kicker so Mason Crosby can be cut and save 2M or cap space as well.
eric

Marshfield, WI

#34 Mar 5, 2013
and of course Finley is a FA after next year ( thats 8.5M but that's also a horse thats been beaten to death here lately)
normallylikeyell ow

Altoona, PA

#35 Mar 7, 2013
eric wrote:
I dont think Minter will be there at 26 either.If we can sign a DE like Canty or Cullen Jenkins or find a legit DE in the draft,that should certainly help things along.Evidence of Hawk slowing down is he doesnt cover the TE as well as he used to.I still say getting Bishop back will help ( even coming back from injury,) ACL arent quite as bad as he used to be as far as returning.
Perry coming back helps as well
SO,if you want to go Perry,Hawk,Bishop and Mathews across the board nad Manning ( a year under his belt) and IMO he will be a solid LB,Smith as well so anyway you look at it,GB has to bring in at least 1 LB if not 2.Im looking at Cap space and some biggies coming up
Hawk is slowing down covering TEs because he plays the Mike in the 3-4, which means he lines up in the 2 technique on the weak side (away from TE) in base. He has 8 career interceptions. Bishop has 1 with one less year of experience and playing the Mac position.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jermichael Finley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Green Bay Packers: Tight Ends Will Produce Rega... Aug '14 Spielman 2
Preseason Power Rankings No. 5: Green Bay Packers Jul '14 eric 11
Should Anyone Take the Risk on Free-Agent TE Je... Jul '14 GBPfan 16
Owen Daniels visiting Green Bay Packers (Mar '14) Jul '14 cara murphy 19
Jimmy Graham Jul '14 cara murphy 8
Jermichael Finley Tweet Sets Off Vikings Specul... (May '14) Jul '14 GBPfan 235
Packers face tough decisions with leftover cap ... (Jun '14) Jun '14 eric 4
More from around the web