Saints coach Sean Payton explains football to curious English r...

Full story: Chicago Tribune

But there was jet-lagged Saints coach Sean Payton on Monday, outlining to a British reporter just what the American version of football is about.
Comments
1 - 2 of 2 Comments Last updated Oct 21, 2008
Hank D

Coopersburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2008

Even though I think it's unfair to both teams to have to make this long trip in the middle of the season, I hope they put on a good show so the English fans can see why American football is so much more exciting than soccer.
Huntington

Gloucester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2008

Hank D wrote:
Even though I think it's unfair to both teams to have to make this long trip in the middle of the season, I hope they put on a good show so the English fans can see why American football is so much more exciting than soccer.
Football can never hope to compete against soccer in Europe (and especially not in England, which has the world's richest league). What it can do though, is to continue to carve out a niche as a well-supported, minority sport.

The NFL has had a good profile in the UK since the mid-80s. There is a good solid fan-base and a better understanding of the game than is often credited. The fans at this Sunday's game will be fans of all teams. I'll be there (a Dolphins fan since 1984) and whilst I don't really care who wins, I am hoping for an exciting game, like you say.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Jeremy Shockey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Shockey...bad karma catches him (Sep '12) Sep '12 Rtw416 1
Jeremy Shockey nude (Jul '12) Jul '12 Willa 1
Top 5 Players Saints Fans Would Hate to See Car... (Mar '11) Mar '11 firehorse1906 1
Should Eagles Sign Jeremy Shockey? (Feb '11) Feb '11 Goodell 34
How much does Jeremy Shockey have left? (Feb '11) Feb '11 Miami Fan 4
Saints cut former Giants tight end Jeremy Shockey (Feb '11) Feb '11 Ringfarts 2
Saints release TE Shockey (Feb '11) Feb '11 Bourbon Street Ho... 2

Search the Jeremy Shockey Forum:
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••