Mike Vandermause column: Hits, misses...

Mike Vandermause column: Hits, misses from first week of Green Bay Packers training camp

There are 20 comments on the WisInfo story from Aug 10, 2009, titled Mike Vandermause column: Hits, misses from first week of Green Bay Packers training camp. In it, WisInfo reports that:

A total of 50,787 fans showed up Saturday night ready for some football at Lambeau Field.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WisInfo.

GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#1 Aug 10, 2009
Mike Vandermause is a strange person. I've never been part of a team where internal fighting was viewed as a good thing. What coach wants the distractions, rancor, and risk of injury that accompany practice fights? Striving to improve, to compete and to win are good things. No teammates perform better by fighting with one another though.
GBPmies

Helsinki, Finland

#2 Aug 11, 2009
GBPfan wrote:
Mike Vandermause is a strange person. I've never been part of a team where internal fighting was viewed as a good thing. What coach wants the distractions, rancor, and risk of injury that accompany practice fights? Striving to improve, to compete and to win are good things. No teammates perform better by fighting with one another though.
How hell would you know? "you've never been apart of a team where internal fight was a good thing" - who F'n cares about your "team" experiences? Were you a PRO? Kevin Greene was, and he has threatened to headbutt his players in the first week, is he on your list of people who should be fired, along with Ted? You said earlier you wan the Packers to be feared and maybe this new aggressive D will do just that. I like it. It is about time someone lit a fire under their asses, maybe this will help in the 4th when the game is on the line. I really like the new D coaching staff. I do not think these fights are out of hate or dislike, I just think they are fired up with way more energy!!!! YEAH!!
jeremy

Mooreton, ND

#3 Aug 11, 2009
GBPmies wrote:
<quoted text>
How hell would you know? "you've never been apart of a team where internal fight was a good thing" - who F'n cares about your "team" experiences? Were you a PRO? Kevin Greene was, and he has threatened to headbutt his players in the first week, is he on your list of people who should be fired, along with Ted? You said earlier you wan the Packers to be feared and maybe this new aggressive D will do just that. I like it. It is about time someone lit a fire under their asses, maybe this will help in the 4th when the game is on the line. I really like the new D coaching staff. I do not think these fights are out of hate or dislike, I just think they are fired up with way more energy!!!! YEAH!!
Exactly.
jeremy

Mooreton, ND

#4 Aug 11, 2009
"A big part of defensive football is attitude and tempo and guys flying around", new coordinator Dom Capers said. "It's a physical, aggressive, attacking approach. The more we can be aggressive and attack, then hopefully the more you have some offenses reacting to you instead of you reacting to the offense." This D needs an attitude change, and in order to be a championship D, they can't be passive, they need to be aggressive. The only reason for the fight is because the offense was frustrated by the aggressive D, and I love it, if anyone thinks that is wrong then they shouldn't be a NFL fan.
eric

Denmark, WI

#5 Aug 11, 2009
the Reggie Jackson/Billy Martin feud in NY and all that fighting and i think the Yankees did ok for themselves.

I agree the defense needs attitude and aggressiveness but they also cant miss as many tackles as they did last year!
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#6 Aug 12, 2009
eric wrote:
the Reggie Jackson/Billy Martin feud in NY and all that fighting and i think the Yankees did ok for themselves.
I agree the defense needs attitude and aggressiveness but they also cant miss as many tackles as they did last year!
Are you saying that Reggie Jackson and Billy Martin were better because they had physical fights as Packer players are having? If so, you are more ignorant than I already knew you were.

Other winning teams have attitude and fire without causing players to get injured in practice. Winning teams encourage strong comeraderie and tight bonds between players. Of course, The TT lovers don't care if the Packers are winners, so I'm not suprised.

P.S. I've been on many winning teams. Something you clearly know nothing about.
eric

Denmark, WI

#7 Aug 12, 2009
No i said Reggie Jackson and Billy Martin fought all the time and the yankess did well for them selves.obviously you lack the mental to get it,so ill clarify it for you.
R.J. and B.M. fought and there was alot of inter fighting ect and they won a few championships,so it didnt effec the Yankees on the field ect.
as far as Ignorant,give it up, im lowering my self to your level.although ignorant isnt nasty,but,im not firing back so it can turn into another war of words ect.think what you want,people all have their opinions and its based on statements on here.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#8 Aug 12, 2009
Let me know when you understand the difference between engaging in physical fights and bickering. Then we might be able to have an intelligent discussion. Good luck!
GBPmies

Finland

#9 Aug 12, 2009
GBPfan wrote:
Let me know when you understand the difference between engaging in physical fights and bickering. Then we might be able to have an intelligent discussion. Good luck!
Bickering- To engage in a petty, bad-tempered quarrel; squabble.

Physical fights- A confrontation between opposing groups in which each attempts to harm or gain power over the other, as with bodily force or weapons

I think I got it:) Bring on the intelligent talking. Maybe we can hear more about your winning teams you were on and how you all sang Kumbaijaa and held dinks after practice.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#10 Aug 12, 2009
Do you have any constructive questions or comments? Or do you intend to merely ridicule winning and winners while supporting losers such as Turd Thompson?
jeremy

Mooreton, ND

#11 Aug 12, 2009
GBPfan wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you saying that Reggie Jackson and Billy Martin were better because they had physical fights as Packer players are having? If so, you are more ignorant than I already knew you were.
Other winning teams have attitude and fire without causing players to get injured in practice. Winning teams encourage strong comeraderie and tight bonds between players. Of course, The TT lovers don't care if the Packers are winners, so I'm not suprised.
P.S. I've been on many winning teams. Something you clearly know nothing about.
What? PeeWee Leagues? The guys apologized and moved on like many men do. We have fights all the time at work, but as men we get over it, have a beer and share a laugh. This is not a big deal.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#12 Aug 12, 2009
jeremy wrote:
<quoted text>What? PeeWee Leagues? The guys apologized and moved on like many men do. We have fights all the time at work, but as men we get over it, have a beer and share a laugh. This is not a big deal.
The difference is that you can suffer a career ending injury and nobody would know or care.
GBmies

Finland

#13 Aug 13, 2009
GBPfan wrote:
Do you have any constructive questions or comments? Or do you intend to merely ridicule winning and winners while supporting losers such as Turd Thompson?
Yes I do.

Question- Why are you so on edge? Every time someone disagrees with you say they are a TT supporter and hate winning and are fine with the Packers losing. Take a few moments, go back and read what I wrote. Ok did you read it? Now let us begin. I was talking about the players, and how I feel about the new aggressive D, I like the change, I support the change. I also am not concerned about the fighting because the people that are there (physically and mentally) seem to be doing just fine with it.

Now you say I am ridiculing winning and winners and supporting losers like TT. DO NOT bring your disgust for TT into my argument. I was talking on the D, aggressiveness, and fighting! I dare you to show your argument for how I ridiculed winning and winners and support losers. I support the PACK! They are not losers! And I not going to sit here and let you bad mouth the PACK.

Question- How do you feel about the new Defense – coaches, scheme, players?

Comment-“I've been on many winning teams. Something you clearly know nothing about.” GBPfan to Eric
Once again…HOW would you know this? Maybe E has been on a plethora or winning teams. Winning IS something Green Bay does know more than you about.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#14 Aug 13, 2009
Winning teams do not do things to contribute to injuries. "Lighting a fire" under people doesn't require the risk of needless and foolish injuries.

Many people have made excuses for the losing occurring in Green Bay. Perhaps the most common excuse is injuries. Few teams have injuries to the extent that they devastate a team (say to the point of 7 more losses than the previous season) and that is, in part, because they take necessary precautions, such as strictly enforcing a no fight policy.

I will bet you any amount of money that Kevin Greene NEVER actually head butts a player this season. Talk carries no risk of physical injury. Throwing punches does. I can't believe that you find that so difficult to understand.

Staying relatively injury free is one of the things that frequently occurs when a team has good talent, good coaching and good management.

Regarding eric: He knows I'm right. Why do you think he didn't respond. Ordinarily, eric replies as long as he thinks there may be a snow balls chance in hell that he might be right. He's easy to read. I know things. Pay attention and you may learn a few things.
Dewy

Britton, MI

#15 Aug 13, 2009
To GBPfan, Your problem is you think you know everything .And you have yourself believing that everything you say is correct and 100% right. That is why this will be the only time I respond to you. Your last two lines in the above post support my statement. The facts don't lie you put it in print . So I have no more to say.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#16 Aug 13, 2009
GBmies wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I do.
Question- Why are you so on edge? Every time someone disagrees with you say they are a TT supporter and hate winning and are fine with the Packers losing. Take a few moments, go back and read what I wrote. Ok did you read it? Now let us begin. I was talking about the players, and how I feel about the new aggressive D, I like the change, I support the change. I also am not concerned about the fighting because the people that are there (physically and mentally) seem to be doing just fine with it.
Now you say I am ridiculing winning and winners and supporting losers like TT. DO NOT bring your disgust for TT into my argument. I was talking on the D, aggressiveness, and fighting! I dare you to show your argument for how I ridiculed winning and winners and support losers. I support the PACK! They are not losers! And I not going to sit here and let you bad mouth the PACK.
Question- How do you feel about the new Defense – coaches, scheme, players?
Comment-“I've been on many winning teams. Something you clearly know nothing about.” GBPfan to Eric
Once again…HOW would you know this? Maybe E has been on a plethora or winning teams. Winning IS something Green Bay does know more than you about.
I am a Packer fan! When people support TT, I point out how wrong they are to do so. TT is a proven loser and failure. The facts: 31-33 and only one playoff appearance during his reign of mismanagement.

The first step to solving a problem is to acknowledge you have a problem. The Packers have failed to win regularly and they rarely make the playoffs. I'm not bad mouthing the Pack. I'm acknowledging FACTS. The facts above indicate that the Packers have a problem -- Turd Thompson. The Packers need to get rid of the problem.

RE: The new defense. If it is so superior, I fault the current management and coaching staff for not implementing it sooner. We will find out soon whether your faith in the changes is deserved. I hope so, but the poor management of the last 4 years makes me skeptical. If TT didn't already have a record of losing and failure, I would share your optimism.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#17 Aug 13, 2009
Dewy wrote:
To GBPfan, Your problem is you think you know everything .And you have yourself believing that everything you say is correct and 100% right. That is why this will be the only time I respond to you. Your last two lines in the above post support my statement. The facts don't lie you put it in print . So I have no more to say.
It really isn't difficult to be right when a person limits their statements to FACTS. I state FACTS! Mindless statements that amount to little more than expressions of unfounded faith or hope often end up being wrong. I don't make such statements.

Instead of being hostile, you might want to give logic a try yourself. You may find that you too can be confident in what you say.
GBmies

Finland

#18 Aug 13, 2009
GBPfan wrote:
<quoted text>
I am a Packer fan! When people support TT, I point out how wrong they are to do so. TT is a proven loser and failure. The facts: 31-33 and only one playoff appearance during his reign of mismanagement.
The first step to solving a problem is to acknowledge you have a problem. The Packers have failed to win regularly and they rarely make the playoffs. I'm not bad mouthing the Pack. I'm acknowledging FACTS. The facts above indicate that the Packers have a problem -- Turd Thompson. The Packers need to get rid of the problem.
RE: The new defense. If it is so superior, I fault the current management and coaching staff for not implementing it sooner. We will find out soon whether your faith in the changes is deserved. I hope so, but the poor management of the last 4 years makes me skeptical. If TT didn't already have a record of losing and failure, I would share your optimism.
You are so strange. You never responded to how I was ridiculing winning or winners (because you can’t). You just started going off about TT again. I try and start a new conversation about what you think about the Defense –coaches, scheme, players… then you just start going of about bad management again. Your obsession with TT hate is making it very hard to communicate with you. By all means you are welcome to your own opinions but remember everyone on here is too. You have opinions! NO matter how hard you strongly believe them it does not make them facts.

A wise man once said “The first step to solving a problem is to acknowledge you have a problem.”-GBPfan,

Well sir, you seem to have a bit of a problem. I see no point in discussions with you, until you can have a normal conversation.
GBmies

Finland

#19 Aug 13, 2009
GBPfan wrote:
<quoted text>
It really isn't difficult to be right when a person limits their statements to FACTS. I state FACTS! Mindless statements that amount to little more than expressions of unfounded faith or hope often end up being wrong. I don't make such statements.
Instead of being hostile, you might want to give logic a try yourself. You may find that you too can be confident in what you say.
You use the FACTS a lot. Are saying you state facts? That is what I get. You can state facts but I think it is your opinions that people have a problem with. You see, you used a fact; this is the one in this thread “The facts: 31-33 and only one playoff appearance during his reign”-GBPfan. Now you see you have said a lot of other things we all call opinions. Stating one fact does not make everything you say fact…..IF it does well then I could say “the Packers switched to a 3-4 defense”,“GBPfan has issues.” Have nice weekend and enjoy the game.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#20 Aug 14, 2009
Yes. I have issues. I have issues with the bad management in Green Bay that has caused the Packers to lose and fail far too often. Don't you have any issues? Or is that fine with you?

The facts: 31-33 and one playoff appearance during TT's reign of mismanagement. DO NOT ignore the FACTS.

Thank you. I hope your weekend is pleasant also and that we all enjoy the game.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jeremy Kapinos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Steelers Notebook: Kapinos steps in again for i... (Nov '11) Nov '11 Goodfarts 2
News Steelers vs. Packers: The key matchups (Feb '11) Feb '11 yernogoood- 35
News Questions with Bob Sansevere: Vikings punter Ch... (Feb '11) Feb '11 kinnickinnick 7
News Sidelined Sepulveda will miss second straight S... (Jan '11) Jan '11 William A Moose 1
News Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy keeps sta... (Jan '10) Jan '10 eric 6
News Green Bay Packers' John Schneider out of runnin... (Jan '10) Jan '10 Matt 1
News Grading the Green Bay Packers special teams: Ma... (Jan '10) Jan '10 gopackgo 2
More from around the web