Mixing up recipe for disaster

Mixing up recipe for disaster

There are 109 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Sep 15, 2008, titled Mixing up recipe for disaster. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Shaking his head in a somber locker room, Bears center Olin Kreutz blamed himself.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last

“Stimulate THIS!”

Since: Aug 08

West Frankfort, IL

#1 Sep 15, 2008
I know McKie has had 2 "gimmie" 1 yd. touchdowns, but still, what does this guy bring to the table? Every time I see him he's catching a ball for 2 yds. or running the ball for 1 yd.(that is when he's not being called for a holding penalty)......he must have photos of Lovie like Angelo must have photos on the McCaskeys.

PS: We all know that last series in the 4th was a joke but what is a rookie TE (Davis) doing in there on the must crucial play of the game....you can see on the highlight that his man beats him badly on that 4th and 1. Once again, BAD coaching.
The Goat

United States

#2 Sep 15, 2008
Olson gets the blame. Putting the ball on the ground twice in crucial situations is inexcusable. If any of us screwed the pooch like that in our jobs, we'd be fired.
John

United States

#3 Sep 15, 2008
Lovie Smith - 6-10 baby. Enjoy this year as it is going to be your last one. Do all of us a favor and take your GM with you.
George

Carol Stream, IL

#4 Sep 15, 2008
Okay... Let the Bear-Bashing begin. For all of you Orton haters, before you get started I would just like to say it first. No, he did not make the big throws when we needed him to. BUT, I will not give the loss totally to him. Greg Olson's 2 fumbles, stupid penalties, and a HORRIBLE call on 4th and 1 at the end of the game also shares the blame for this loss. The defense was stellar as usual. Stewart ate up yards on us at the end for 2 reasons: 1) I think the Bears defense was a little tired. 2) That dude is just a load to take down. All in all tho the Bears defense did well.
Bears fans don't panic. Give Orton time to develop. I still have faith in the guy. Let's just regroup and take it to Tampa Bay next week.

GO BEARS!!! 2008 NFC NORTH CHAMPIONS!!!!
mad fan

Hoffman Estates, IL

#5 Sep 15, 2008
Here's the simple truth. The GM and coaching staff we have couldn't coach a Pop Warner team to a championship. None of them has developed anyone beyond their initial drafted talent. Their offense is predictable, we still don't have a winning QB, we call a stale defense that is well known and gets exploited regularly by average teams and have only 1 elite level player in Hester. His speed and instincts give him that. He could return touchdowns on any team. We will never again be more than an average team that plays a good game now and again until this entire regime is gone and we bring in some real football minds. A good start would be 2 Johnsons... Jimmie Johnson as GM and Jim Johnson, the defensive mind in Philly as head coach. Taub is the only coach on this team worth keeping. Send Lovie to Indy to coach their "D" to mediocrity. It would be an improvement for them. I'm truly tired of all of their rhetoric and unimaginative play.
Mgray

Atlanta, GA

#6 Sep 15, 2008
When the game comes down 2 coaching on the field of play on Sundays........the Bears will LOSE everytime.
pbulldog

Harrisburg, NC

#7 Sep 15, 2008
...without Steve Smith...a no name tight end?...LOSING a fumble
by Olsen? That ball wasn't LOST it was ripped out by a player playing like a man instead of an excuse making boy like David Haugh. Instead of talking up how much better the Bears are(n't), deliver the news accurately to your readers -- The Bears got outcoached and OUTPLAYED by a team that believes in itself, its potential, and has a belief that every minute of every game is there for a reason -- to play like its your last play because in the end, excuses don't cut it. One play doesn't win or lose a game (blocked punt in 1st qrtr. come to mind?). Get off your "whine box" and admit two posible scenarios -- either the Bears aren't as good as everyone thought and won last week to a rusty Peyton Manning, or, the Bears are a pretty good team and the Panthers are a heluva lot better than anyone thought (and yes, they will now have Delhomme's best weapon back next week).
northside mike

Chicago, IL

#8 Sep 15, 2008
Greg Olsen is starting to remind me of another underachieving number one pick from a university in Florida. Help!
jon reva

Chicago, IL

#9 Sep 15, 2008
Time yo realize that as other teams will get better the Bears will stay the same and therefore get worse. No talk by the die hard Bear's homers. No air attack. Seventeen unanswered points. Boo hoo baby! Good thing Hester git the green when he did.
The Truth

Chicago, IL

#10 Sep 15, 2008
Horrible way to lose. I blame Olsen, McGowan, and Turner.
VenturaBear

Riverside, CA

#11 Sep 15, 2008
Here we go again, the Smith/Turner formula on offense, whether it works or not keep doing it. The pass to the flat on 3 and 1 had not worked all day and was almost picked twice. The dive to McKie they had used in every short yardage situation the whole game. No surprise they use it again. The D played well enough to win but 3 and out puts them back on the field too often. Orton missed a few too many open receivers. Olsen fumbles twice. One on ones in the open field and they got tackled. Great first half but not enough points. Just holding on and letting the D win the games isn't enough these days the O has to step up and play like a winner. Do they ever run a counter play, or a screen pass? They always go the same way the line goes. Forte's TD run last week was against the grain. Try it you'll like it. With just a little more this could be a great season.
MDK

Mount Pleasant, SC

#12 Sep 15, 2008
They looked pretty good in the first half, especially the first quarter. They seemed aggressive on both sides of the ball and then, as usual, during half time; Kaput! No adjustments, no aggression, same old, same old; way too conservative play calling.

Why does this keep happening???
dabearsrule86

Peru, IL

#13 Sep 15, 2008
Individuals made mistakes but overall this was a team loss that was accentuated by poor coaching in the 2nd half. The defense choked in the clutch; Orton had Booker wide open and couldn't hit him. But Turner stunk more than anyone with the plays called on the last drive. Passing on 2nd and one???? Like the man said, looked like a Shoop play to me. Pathetic play calling and totally unacceptable.
Mgray

Atlanta, GA

#14 Sep 15, 2008
Out played, out coached. Does this sound familiar? Strike up the band.
Gimy

Indianapolis, IN

#15 Sep 15, 2008
if orton doesn't learn to throw a deep ball...get used to this outcome. i almost wish the bears would spell orton with grossman so the defense THINKS we'll throw deep to open up holes for Forte by spreading out the D. but c'mon orton, if you can't throw past 20 yards...you're going to kill this team. jeff garcia? jeff...gar...cia?

while listening on my phone...the second the guy said "mckie" i knew we wouldn't get the first down. lemme get this straight. turner and co PRAISE Forte for "never going backwards" and almost never losing yards yet...in an important run...they don't call his #. dumb. its pretty pathetic when you can't the panthers WITHOUT their best player. this is why i hate when the bears have talent and CAN win, they disappoint you with stupidity and dumb2ss mistakes.

i think the bears should be on the phone with TB and at least feeling out what it'd take to get garcia since gruden seems to hate qb's. orton isn't as crappy as he was before but forte can't rush for squat if he's going to face defenses that know orton can't throw a deep ball.
MLT

Olympia Fields, IL

#16 Sep 15, 2008
As a Panthers fan I am glad we won this game, but honestly I really think that was a game of who made the last mistake. The Bears are by far a TOUGH TOUGH opponent, very few teams can go into that 'mug' look and not get severely burned. Orton does tend to overthrow his deep throws but to some degree his recievers are not neccessarily burners that might be a big thing for the bears to look for, a wide-out with vertical speed. However I do not think this will be the last time these 2 teams meet. Hopefully it wont be in Chicago, good luck in the rest of the season
Mgray

Atlanta, GA

#17 Sep 15, 2008
Want 2 see a REAL coach? Watch the last minute of the Bronco game.
omegaman

Nashville, TN

#18 Sep 15, 2008
GIVE THE BAll TO FORTE!!!!!!!!!!and get out of the way!
Mgray

Atlanta, GA

#19 Sep 15, 2008
Prediction: Griese ROASTS the Bears on Sunday.
Hillary

Gwynn Oak, MD

#20 Sep 15, 2008
The Packer's have a new quarterback who hasn't played last year because of Brett Farve. The Packer's quarterback has shown more quality at this position than the Bears two QB's Orten or that other guy. The question then is: Why can't we ever pick talent at this position? The 3rd string guy in my view, beat both Kyle Orten and the Florida State guy out for the starting position. How can that be?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jeff King Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hilliard school gets to know military pen pals ... (Dec '10) Dec '10 Savannah Barbee 1
News Panthers WR Smith downplays issue with QB Clausen (Sep '10) Sep '10 Whatever 1
News Speed cameras irritate Arizonans (Mar '10) Mar '10 Greybeard 1
News Patriots, Panthers desperate for a win - Sentin... (Dec '09) Dec '09 Spy Cameras 2
News Bears lose control, lead, game vs. Panthers (Sep '08) Sep '08 Philo 76
News Chiefs can (Feb '08) Feb '08 basketball fever 35
News Panthers Maul Niners 31-14 (Dec '07) Dec '07 John Cena 1
More from around the web