Tampa's 2-step at QB a curious call

Tampa's 2-step at QB a curious call

There are 30 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Sep 17, 2008, titled Tampa's 2-step at QB a curious call. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Jon Gruden has won as many Super Bowls as Mike Ditka . Typically, NFL head coaches who have hoisted the Lombardi Trophy deserve respect that shields them from second-guessing. But it's impossible to overlook ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jim Griffin

United States

#1 Sep 17, 2008
61 Minutes. The HAS to be the philosophy this week. 30 won't get it done, 45 won't get it done, and I seriously doubt that 59 and 59 seconds will be enough to get it done. Let's face it, as if the blunders and penalties (even the BAD calls) aren't enough, The Bears just have lousy luck. So there's one solution and one solution only. 61 minutes of gut check football. And that might, just MIGHT...be enough to win a game that lasts 60 minutes.
Wayne

Weihai, China

#2 Sep 17, 2008
Jim Griffin wrote:
61 Minutes.
Is this just another wrinkle on the old sports cliche, "The Bears need to give 110 percent" ? You know, their backs are up against the wall. They have to give it all they've got. It is what it is.

Just funnin' ya!!!

Since: Sep 08

Bloomington,IL

#3 Sep 18, 2008
Let's hope it bothers him enough (Griese) to force him to try to play outside his comfort zone. Didn't Gruden once work for Holmgren and then was one of many to get screwed by Al Davis? Looks like a little of both rubbed off.
Jerry Angelo

Asia/Pacific Region

#4 Sep 18, 2008
Wayne wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this just another wrinkle on the old sports cliche, "The Bears need to give 110 percent" ? You know, their backs are up against the wall. They have to give it all they've got. It is what it is.
Just funnin' ya!!!
Hey...We just gotta take it week by week. Play within yourself. Put your game face on. Keep your head in the game. Don't drop the soap.
Bearfanforlife

AOL

#5 Sep 18, 2008
Haugh, do you recall the Bears BEATING Garcia to a PULP! when he played for the Lions??? The Bdears had him on the sidelines taking smelling salts, bloodied. He eventually threw an Ill-advised Int to Peanut Tilman, that he ran back for the winning TD. Garcia is probably happy he's not starting for the Bucs this week.
I respect Griese's ability, and Vasher hasn't exactly defended the pass very well so far this season.
Quite honestly the 2008 Bears could use a Greise-type QB.
AND! I'm STILL astonished that Lovie Smith and his staff, was/is so sensitive that they couldn't handle the fact that Greise had the GUTS to basically TELL THE folks he had to call the plays in that STELLAR drive in 2007 against Philly. The WHOLE truth about GREISE'S departure, has NOT BEEN FULLY explained...
Gimy

Indianapolis, IN

#6 Sep 18, 2008
i used to like, and respect gruden but c'mon...if you hate a guy, don't sacrifice your team's success out of personal issues. if that were the case, da 85 bears would have never won. this is two qb's that he's gotten in his "doghouse" and while i think griese is a valuable backup...he's a mediocre starter. he's a crutch, he's not a leg. he can't help you win, he can only help you not lose the game offensively. sort of like an elder Orton...
SAH

Bradenton, FL

#7 Sep 18, 2008
Jim Griffin wrote:
The Bears just have lousy luck. So there's one solution and one solution only.
Start Orton and run a rabbit's foot.
SAH

Bradenton, FL

#8 Sep 18, 2008
Jim Griffin wrote:
The Bears just have lousy luck. So there's one solution and one solution only.
Excuse me....Start Orton and RUB a rabbit's foot!!!
dabearsdasoxdabu lls

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#9 Sep 18, 2008
SAH wrote:
<quoted text>
Excuse me....Start Orton and RUB a rabbit's foot!!!
Agreed. It could be worse, gross man could be the starter.

DA BEARS 08!!!
Trunk

Saint Petersburg, FL

#10 Sep 18, 2008
Garcia hurt his ankle during Game 1 and didn't play because of it in Game 2...that's why Griese got the starting job. He did well last week and Gruden just wants to keep the momentum going. Simple as that versus too much time in the Florida sun.
George

Carol Stream, IL

#11 Sep 18, 2008
The Bears are going to destroy Griese. I don't care if he has the "inside scoop" on our defense. Our defense knows a lot about him as well. And a stand QB will get destroyed playing against the Bears. And he tries to get mobile and throw on the run, that out of his comfort zone and he will throw picks.
But one of pointed out that Vasher hasn't played very well this season which is true. I'm really becoming disappointed in this guy. He's playing way to far off the defender and is barely in position to make plays. He needs to get it together.

GO BEARS!!! 2008 NFC NORTH CHAMPIONS!!!
George

Carol Stream, IL

#12 Sep 18, 2008
I'm also hoping that D. Manning can shine this game, with McGowan out. Losing McGowan is big but if Manning can step in and fill that role in the nickel our defense can remain in tact. Let's hope he can make some plays and gain some confidence the week.

GO BEARS!!! 2008 NFC NORTH CHAMPIONS!!!
Billyard

Toronto, Canada

#14 Sep 18, 2008
Griese literally IS a stand-in for any startig QB in the league. He has all the credentials but, he's also getting too old to be THE MAN. Just hope the defence doesn't beat him up too bad and they have to bring Garcia in - he might light it up!
GO BEARS, TEAR 'EM UP!!!
Dave

United States

#16 Sep 18, 2008
Griese will pick apart the overrated Bears D and enjoy beating the team that kept the wrong QBs.
Big d

Northbrook, IL

#17 Sep 18, 2008
It's funny how David Haugh seems to think he knows more about Tampa Bay's QBS than Jon Gruden. If you are so smart why arn't you making 4 million a yr in the league?
Mr Biggz

Dallas, TX

#20 Sep 18, 2008
Listen up, REx will be starting after Half time if and only if good Old Kyle screws up throwing an INT and not connecting with his WR's. He better have sharpened up his throwing skills because he will need to redeem himself from last weeks disaster. I know everyone is going to jump on me for asking for REx, but he's the best chance for us to win and get to the Superbowl. Our WR's are just getting rustier by the week because Kyle can't utilize em by throwing more than 15yrds to them.
Vince Young

Duluth, GA

#21 Sep 18, 2008
Jerry Angelo wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey...We just gotta take it week by week. Play within yourself. Put your game face on. Keep your head in the game. Don't drop the soap.
What if I like to drop the soap!
Arnie

Duluth, GA

#22 Sep 18, 2008
Mr Biggz wrote:
Listen up, REx will be starting after Half time if and only if good Old Kyle screws up throwing an INT and not connecting with his WR's. He better have sharpened up his throwing skills because he will need to redeem himself from last weeks disaster. I know everyone is going to jump on me for asking for REx, but he's the best chance for us to win and get to the Superbowl. Our WR's are just getting rustier by the week because Kyle can't utilize em by throwing more than 15yrds to them.
Mr. Smalllz... You have chance of Kyle's accurancy getting better than Say Rex getting taller, Rex getting Faster, Rex getting Smarter, Rex getting better Pocket presence, Rex getting better at not fumbling, Rex getting better at throwing TD's etc. etc.
bobbyw

United States

#23 Sep 18, 2008
Message to Garcia? Bucs are on shaky turf (Soldier Field, that is).Regardless who qb's either team, Bears win on special teams and defense. Forte is a bright light and so are the receivers IF, big IF, the throws are on target. I'd prefer Rex but I don't own too much stock in the company. Just 60 years of watching and waiting for a return of the '85 experience.. Go Bears
GenBrooks55

Ocala, FL

#24 Sep 18, 2008
Peeps, This game will be low scoring & whichever team establishes the run...wins the game. The Graham/Dunn combo has been very succesful thus far..Michael Clayton & Antonio Bryant will be the starting WR & they need to show what they can do...Garcia got benched because he missed entirely too much time in Training Camp & it showed in our opener...only one person to blame there...Garcia...somehow his priorities were not set straight...

Final Score Tampa 16 Bears 13

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jeff Garcia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Rumors arise of a JaMarcus Russell comeback (Dec '11) Dec '11 muje 9
News Just Sayin': Costly QB play by the Bay (Dec '10) Dec '10 RAIDER MISTERIO OG 11
News John Henderson: Starter Or Camp Body? (Jul '10) Jul '10 TexasRaider 3
News Monte Poole: Big Ben's latest issue shows it's ... (Mar '10) Mar '10 Bullfarts 5
News Terrell Owens to the Raiders: the mother of all... (Mar '10) Mar '10 XanderSlugger 1
News Oakland Raiders: Yes, I'm Still Defending JaMar... (Jan '10) Jan '10 TexasRaider 4
News Oakland Raiders JaMarcus Russell's downward spiral (Jan '10) Jan '10 Achmed 2
More from around the web