USC coach Carroll's 'Win Forever' for...

USC coach Carroll's 'Win Forever' formula getting put to the test

There are 31 comments on the Whittier Daily News story from Sep 25, 2009, titled USC coach Carroll's 'Win Forever' formula getting put to the test. In it, Whittier Daily News reports that:

With a younger team, especially at quarterback and on defense, USC coach Pete Carroll might have to tweak his philosophies in hopes of getting his Trojans riled up after suffering a defeat.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Whittier Daily News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
SC USC Fan

Lyman, SC

#2 Sep 25, 2009
Your articles never cease to amaze me. You continually report as if you are writing an opinion piece (blogging rather than reporting the facts). Each article seems designed to create controversy where there is none. Your articles mimmic your blogs and there should be a difference. You seem much more comfortable talking about Oregon cheerleaders and Irish girl bands than reporting about big time college football. You would be better suited to report on high school sports.
Allan

Pasadena, CA

#3 Sep 25, 2009
SC USC Fan wrote:
Your articles never cease to amaze me. You continually report as if you are writing an opinion piece (blogging rather than reporting the facts). Each article seems designed to create controversy where there is none. Your articles mimmic your blogs and there should be a difference. You seem much more comfortable talking about Oregon cheerleaders and Irish girl bands than reporting about big time college football. You would be better suited to report on high school sports.
Couldn't agree more...one loss and the sportswriters become asst coaches. Interesting, as most can't even write an interesting, factual article. Go USC!
mia

Irvine, CA

#4 Sep 25, 2009
FIGHT ON!!
Bob from PV

Redondo Beach, CA

#5 Sep 25, 2009
No win formula is forever... playbooks are finite... besides masters teach students, students become masters and one day eventually old students will end up beating old masters... lessons of life

USC had a good 5 years run but PAC-10 is not what it used to be and new power houses will eventually emerge... just like what history taught us ...
Eugene

Oxon Hill, MD

#6 Sep 25, 2009
Pete Carroll will always lose a game per year to some big underdog... because he doesn't take them seriously and is too arrogant to do so.

His overall record, record in bowl games, and against top 10 teams is probably .700.

However, over the last 5 years you can't overlook USC losing to HUGE underdogs like Stanford, UCLA, Oregon State and Washington.

For "big" games Pete has these guys motivated. Against "lesser" teams? It's more like, "we'll show up and win. Doesn't matter who our QB is because we're so much better than them anyway."
JimmytheGeek

Irvine, CA

#7 Sep 25, 2009
I don't think USC has had an offensive coordinator during these lousy loss years who could adjust quickly enough to the opposing teams defensive schemes. It's been two games in a row where the SC offense has been under pressure from the flanks without effective offensive adjustment. Do something about the defensive pressure on the QB from the outside: shovel pass, traps, collapsing screens, pass to the TE, whatever.
GetNorm

Santa Ana, CA

#8 Sep 25, 2009
Get Norm Chow back and swallow your ego Pete

manhattan_beach_ dude

“Go BRUINS ”

Since: Jan 09

Manhattan Beach CA

#9 Sep 25, 2009
GetNorm wrote:
Get Norm Chow back and swallow your ego Pete
he not available, and do you really think he would come after the way he was treated by Carroll?
usc SUCKS

Culver City, CA

#10 Sep 25, 2009
Eugene wrote:
Pete Carroll will always lose a game per year to some big underdog... because he doesn't take them seriously and is too arrogant to do so.
His overall record, record in bowl games, and against top 10 teams is probably .700.
However, over the last 5 years you can't overlook USC losing to HUGE underdogs like Stanford, UCLA, Oregon State and Washington.
For "big" games Pete has these guys motivated. Against "lesser" teams? It's more like, "we'll show up and win. Doesn't matter who our QB is because we're so much better than them anyway."
Thats the whole problem! the past two games usc has scored three, 3 offensice touch down. They used to score that many points in the one quater. I do not have to point out to you that usc had to comeback from behind to beat Ohio State. They are not the same team of years past. The believe that they just reload does not apply any more. He has not brought up the QBs to playing condition. Sarkisian is gone, and now Norman Bates, just calls plays his mother lets him, Bite On!
usc SUCKS

Culver City, CA

#11 Sep 25, 2009
GetNorm wrote:
Get Norm Chow back and swallow your ego Pete
Too late, besides who wants to coach in a program that is under NCAA investigation and cheats to win games.
usc SUCKS

Culver City, CA

#12 Sep 25, 2009
JimmytheGeek wrote:
I don't think USC has had an offensive coordinator during these lousy loss years who could adjust quickly enough to the opposing teams defensive schemes. It's been two games in a row where the SC offense has been under pressure from the flanks without effective offensive adjustment. Do something about the defensive pressure on the QB from the outside: shovel pass, traps, collapsing screens, pass to the TE, whatever.
Nothing works when your players are fumbling the ball.
usc SUCKS

Culver City, CA

#13 Sep 25, 2009
Bob from PV wrote:
No win formula is forever... playbooks are finite... besides masters teach students, students become masters and one day eventually old students will end up beating old masters... lessons of life
USC had a good 5 years run but PAC-10 is not what it used to be and new power houses will eventually emerge... just like what history taught us ...
You would think they would understand, but hey, one is born every minute.
usc SUCKS

Culver City, CA

#14 Sep 25, 2009
SC USC Fan wrote:
Your articles never cease to amaze me. You continually report as if you are writing an opinion piece (blogging rather than reporting the facts). Each article seems designed to create controversy where there is none. Your articles mimmic your blogs and there should be a difference. You seem much more comfortable talking about Oregon cheerleaders and Irish girl bands than reporting about big time college football. You would be better suited to report on high school sports.
Do not hate, just because sc is about to become the door mat of the Pac-10. Mays is injured, secondary is inexperienced, linebackers are undersized, and the QBs are losing confidence. Barkley should not play, he is one push away from losing the capability to throw a ball for many years. Why can't Pete "Cheater" Carroll, put in Mustain, is he really that bad, than why did he accept his transfer. Good going coach, Bite On!
usc SUCKS

Culver City, CA

#15 Sep 25, 2009
mia wrote:
FIGHT ON!!
Bite On!(with relish and mustard)

“Blue Jean Baby..”

Since: Oct 08

LA lady..

#16 Sep 25, 2009
usc SUCKS wrote:
<quoted text>
Bite On!(with relish and mustard)
Bite me with no relish LOL!!

Fight on!!

manhattan_beach_ dude

“Go BRUINS ”

Since: Jan 09

Manhattan Beach CA

#17 Sep 25, 2009
usc SUCKS wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats the whole problem! the past two games usc has scored three, 3 offensice touch down. They used to score that many points in the one quater. I do not have to point out to you that usc had to comeback from behind to beat Ohio State. They are not the same team of years past. The believe that they just reload does not apply any more. He has not brought up the QBs to playing condition. Sarkisian is gone, and now Norman Bates, just calls plays his mother lets him, Bite On!
dude your embarrassing yourself.

manhattan_beach_ dude

“Go BRUINS ”

Since: Jan 09

Manhattan Beach CA

#18 Sep 25, 2009
Crazy Beautiful wrote:
<quoted text>
Bite me with no relish LOL!!
Fight on!!
hello beautiful
USC4ever

Los Angeles, CA

#19 Sep 25, 2009
usc SUCKS wrote:
<quoted text>
Bite On!(with relish and mustard)
Sounds like you were rejected by USC. What, your grades weren't up to par?

“Blue Jean Baby..”

Since: Oct 08

LA lady..

#20 Sep 25, 2009
manhattan_beach_dude wrote:
<quoted text>
hello beautiful
Hi sweetie =)
USC4ever

Los Angeles, CA

#21 Sep 25, 2009
SC USC Fan wrote:
Your articles never cease to amaze me. You continually report as if you are writing an opinion piece (blogging rather than reporting the facts). Each article seems designed to create controversy where there is none.
What's worse is Scott Wolf is a USC alum. Not only is he a failed sports writer, but he is a traitor as well. Sad, really.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jeff Byers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Checking injuries that matter most (Dec '12) Dec '12 Buster 2
News USC quarterback Barkley working on his followth... (Oct '09) Oct '09 Jack 4
News SHELBURNE: USC-Notre Dame rivalry should be bac... (Oct '09) Oct '09 CLAMPERMIKE 14
News Offensive linemen blame themselves for Trojans'... (Oct '09) Oct '09 mondo 1
News USC FOOTBALL NOTES: Carroll reminded that Barkl... (Aug '09) Aug '09 uncle_vito 2
News Matt Barkley could be in line to start for Trojans (Aug '09) Aug '09 southakron 2
News Best in the West: Matt Barkley is a natural at ... (Feb '09) Feb '09 Michael Frye 1
More from around the web