Detroit Lions Already Looking Ahead t...

Detroit Lions Already Looking Ahead to 2009 NFL Draft

There are 19 comments on the Associated Content story from Oct 21, 2008, titled Detroit Lions Already Looking Ahead to 2009 NFL Draft. In it, Associated Content reports that:

This is a breakdown of why the Lions are staring down the barrel of another run at an 0-16 season.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Associated Content.

rocky49er

Warren, MI

#1 Oct 21, 2008
The Lion owners should hire an outside source to annalyze the draft eligble talent, and suggest selections. Obviously they are completly incapable of making good decisions on their own. Why they continue on the path of failure is so un-necessary. Just ask for help from smart people, in southeast Michigan alone there has to be a million fans who have better ability then anyone in the front office of the team right now. The present, the future, the past, it has all been crap. Change the present leadershp and you can improve the prospects of the future. How embarrasing, they are so dumb, they don't know enough to know that they don't know anything! When your in a hole, the 1st thing you do, is stop digging. Can anyone in the organization even read, listen, and think. Perhaps it is true, they are completly in a vegatated state!
Jason Killion

Omaha, NE

#2 Oct 23, 2008
The Lions should be able to find a good GM and Head Coach considering that they have an owner who is loyal to a fault. They have a lot of great picks to play with in the 09 draft and they are not completely bare at talent on both sides of the ball. Calvin Johnson and Kevin smith give us a little hope on offense and Ernie Sims and Cory Redding give us strength on the defensive side of the ball. Yes they need major offensive line work. Picking Gosder Cherilus was almost as bad of a pick as taking Mike Williams a couple years ago. We past up much needed players on the defensive side of the ball to take a player who cant even beat out Mr. False Start (George Foster), a guy who has been cut from teams because he has to many penalties a game. Then we go into the second round and take another player who doesnít even see the field. Almost every team in the NFL has there top rookies playing and doing well enough to play. Our top two pics canít even get on the field. The best pick in the 08 drat for us was Kevin Smith. We have to get this draft right. We have two first round picks and two third round picks. These pics alone should entice any GM and Head Coach to give us a try. Not to mention we have the money to pay for a great coach and GM.

“youbeateverythin g youknowthat ”

Since: Apr 07

Buffalo, NY

#3 Oct 23, 2008
Ford is sinking like a stone, but the Lions are even worse..why don't they just sell the team?
kodman

United States

#4 Dec 5, 2008
I think they need to address their offensive line. Draft a solid OT with their first pick. Maybe Monroe or Oher or whoever. I also like a solid MLB like USC's monster big Ray..I would hire a defensive minded coach like Rex Ryan from Baltamore. Players love him and his defensive style is solid.....I also like Crabtree but they can get a solid WR later in the draft. C. Johnson is the man but they need to pick up another high flyer via free agency. Maybe Hines Ward if Pitt doesnt re-sign him. Johnson and Ward would be perfect targets for Culpepper. Keep him as the starter and pick up a solid backup via FA. Trade Kitna for a 5th and 6th round pick to whoever wants him. I think that they should also go after Matt Cassel if he is available. Do not draft a QB with the first pick. You win games in the trenches......

“Kendra is my Love.”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#5 Dec 13, 2008
I am Still a lions fan, even if they are 0-16, shoot i wouldnt even mind if they were 0-15-1!
At least they tied.

Buffalo, NY

#6 Dec 14, 2008
Gocrazy2 wrote:
I am Still a lions fan, even if they are 0-16, shoot i wouldnt even mind if they were 0-15-1!
At least they tied.
I think you mean "at least they died!"..
Jacob

Deerfield, IL

#7 Dec 16, 2008
The Lions need to try and get Florida's Tim Tibo to enter the draft early. They should pick him with their first, first round pick. With their second first round pick they need to get the best DT avaliable. Rheir offensive line needs some serious help along with practically their whole defense. If they don't win one of their last two games that will just be bad. They should also throw the ball to Calvin Johnson more and let Smith run the ball more often because that guy is good. They really need to pull it together for these last two games.
Jacob

Deerfield, IL

#8 Dec 16, 2008
I have another thing to add to because I read an above comment. Sorry about the three things that all say the same thing, technical error. Gosder Cherilus was about the smartest pick they could have made! though I agree that games are definitely won in the trenches I think they really need the most help at the QB position. Also Dan Orvolscky or Drew Stanton should be their starting QB not Culpepper and I'm not from Chicago I'm from South Haven MI.
CK Quick

San Antonio, TX

#9 Dec 16, 2008
It appears that the Lion may keep Dan O. I say let Cullpepper and Dan compete for the the starting position. We should at least see what Culpepper can do with an off season to learn the playbook and get in better shape. I don't think it could hurt.
Good discussion about keeping Dan Orlovsky:
http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/1h/cch...

“Kendra is my Love.”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#10 Dec 19, 2008
Yea, Orlovsky has been so much better than Culpepper.
Joe Kretzmer

Warren, MI

#11 Dec 22, 2008
get rid of william clay ford
golden dog

Newport News, VA

#12 Dec 22, 2008
Hey guys, look on the bright side. You close against the Packers who couldn't beat a mediocre college team at the moment, especially in cold weather!
golden dog

Newport News, VA

#13 Dec 22, 2008
Look on the bright side; the Lions close against the Pack who can't seem to pour (stuff) out of a boot with the instructions written on the sole.

Buffalo, NY

#14 Dec 22, 2008
Joe Kretzmer wrote:
get rid of william clay ford
What position does he play?
Dominico

New Orleans, LA

#15 Dec 26, 2008
Lions need to fire the entire staff, from the G.M. down! But you can bet that the Fords WON'T do that. They're to dumb!

Take Bradford with the first pick and hire a new staff. The Lions need a REAL QB! The most important player on the team, that's a fact!!
Dominico

New Orleans, LA

#16 Dec 26, 2008
Lions need to...NEED TO....pick up Bradford if he comes out early! But I can bet if Bradford knows the Lions are going to pick him up, and the Lions stick with the Mayhem and the coaching staff, he'll opt to stay another season! Who really wants to play for a idiot G.M. and coaching staff and set himself up for failure?

The qb position is the most IMPORTANT position on the team. Say what you all want .... but IT'S A FACT...you build around YOUR QB!

Buffalo, NY

#17 Dec 27, 2008
HOT OFF THE PRESS:: the club will be sold to Pee Wee Herman who will then hire Rip Taylor and his wife Elizabeth to run the team. They will then draft 10 wide receivers in a row, who will all be traded for Gallagher and a watermelon to be named later..the team will then have a seedy 2009 season..
Joe Kretzmer

Warren, MI

#18 Dec 27, 2008
It is not just the coaches that make a team, it is the players that meke the coach a winner. This means that the players we have in the trenches will determine a sucessful season. It is essental that they draft the right players to fulfill this important need. Or if the right players are not avalible in the draft they should go to the free agent players who could help fill this need.
Bob D

Greenville, MS

#19 Dec 28, 2008
paris Lenon one of the few competent players on the lions. Silly to draft a mlb with so many other needs out there

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jeff Backus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What in the World Is Going on with the Minnesot... (Sep '13) Sep '13 erie-vike fan 1
News Four Downs recap: Detroit Lions give up five sa... (Sep '12) Oct '12 Lionfart 3
News Detroit Lions vs. San Francisco 49ers Preview: ... (Oct '11) Oct '11 Anonymous 3
News Detroit Lions regain services of Jeff Backus, T... (Aug '11) Sep '11 Restorefarts 3
News Lions CB Alphonso Smith sidelined with broken foot (Jul '11) Aug '11 phatso 2
News LinkedIn's IPO priced at $45 a share (May '11) May '11 Robert Gutierrez 1
News USC's Tyron Smith visits Lions in advance of NF... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Laughing Bear Fan 1
More from around the web