Lions deserve a shot

Lions deserve a shot

There are 136 comments on the The York Daily Record story from Nov 24, 2008, titled Lions deserve a shot. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

Penn State University is headed to the Rose Bowl. We now know where Penn State is headed next month.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
No Spin Fan

Dallas, TX

#1 Nov 24, 2008
Hey Big 10: Play a conference title game. Recruit some speed. Learn about the forward pass.
better than you

Chipley, FL

#2 Nov 24, 2008
No Spin Fan wrote:
Hey Big 10: Play a conference title game. Recruit some speed. Learn about the forward pass.
Yeah, and convince Notre Dame to be a part of it. That way, they'll quit getting love from the voters during the 7-win years. They'll just be another Iowa or Minnesota.
Reality Check

Philadelphia, PA

#3 Nov 24, 2008
Deserve a shot?? At WHAT exactly??

Certainly NOT the Nat'l. Title.
local

Scranton, PA

#4 Nov 24, 2008
Penn State is not going to the National Championship game because of their WEAK schedule, its that simple!!
Leeds

Hanover, PA

#5 Nov 24, 2008
Pac 10 doesn't play a conf. championship game, but you don't hear anyone pointing that out when USC complains they deserve a shot.

I just wonder how much football some of you watch.

And oh yeah, about that speed. 2 years ago Tennessee was going to run circles around Penn St. with a team that was considered to be one of the fastest in the nation.

Someone remind me how that worked out for them?
Rankings are biased

Middletown, PA

#6 Nov 24, 2008
local wrote:
Penn State is not going to the National Championship game because of their WEAK schedule, its that simple!!
Why does everybody think the Big 12 and SEC are such dominating leagues? Look at some of the creampuffs they play against. They look dominating, because the put up high scores, but that's because they play no defense.
Bundy

Harrisburg, PA

#7 Nov 24, 2008
Why not have the top 8 teams go to the Rose, Sugar, Orange and a new bowl up north say Chicago. Then these winners play. The next week have the championship in Philadelphia. Why Philadelphia? Cause the pollsters always knock the Big Ten but have these fair weather teams like the Pac 10, Big 12 and SEC play in 15 degree weather with a 30 mile wind and snowing and see if they score 60 points. The Rose Bowl is a home game for the Pac 10 champion. Settle it on the field not by sportscasters who change their minds every week of the season.The Pac 10 and Big 10 don't want a play off as they have the Rose Bowl locked up and that means one thing and one thing only. MONEY
We Are

Atlanta, GA

#8 Nov 25, 2008
Some redemption can be made if Oregon can knock off Oregon State and put USC in the Rose Bowl. Having Penn State destroy an overrated USC team would go a long way to ending the Big Ten bias. Having USC in the Rose Bowl would also open up an opportunity for a resurging Ohio State team to earn back some respect in a BCS bowl game.

Go Lions!
Dave

United States

#9 Nov 25, 2008
You mentioned the pass interference call at Iowa almost in passing. It was a bad call by the refs, even on replay they couldn't get it right. Even if they make it on the next play they run out of time before they get a field goal attempt. So like 2005 Penn State loses on a bad call. Who can make this right the media and coaches who care enough for this system that we have now, to vote Penn State #2 in the country. They should be ahead of USC who didn't even win their conference.

“DEC 7 1941”

Since: Dec 06

AWAYS A BUCKEYE!!!

#10 Nov 25, 2008
We Are wrote:
Some redemption can be made if Oregon can knock off Oregon State and put USC in the Rose Bowl. Having Penn State destroy an overrated USC team would go a long way to ending the Big Ten bias. Having USC in the Rose Bowl would also open up an opportunity for a resurging Ohio State team to earn back some respect in a BCS bowl game.
Go Lions!
Finally, a true fan that is not blaming the Bucks for PSU not getting respect! Thank you sir/ma'am.....I'll be pulling for ya!

“DEC 7 1941”

Since: Dec 06

AWAYS A BUCKEYE!!!

#11 Nov 25, 2008
Dave wrote:
You mentioned the pass interference call at Iowa almost in passing. It was a bad call by the refs, even on replay they couldn't get it right. Even if they make it on the next play they run out of time before they get a field goal attempt. So like 2005 Penn State loses on a bad call. Who can make this right the media and coaches who care enough for this system that we have now, to vote Penn State #2 in the country. They should be ahead of USC who didn't even win their conference.
The season isn't over yet, this saturday Oregon plays Oregon St....Oregon wins, USC is in the Rose Bowl....plain and simple, you guys win out, you are not talking about not playing in the NC, you would have ended up in the NC.
Bob

Collierville, TN

#12 Nov 26, 2008
Big Ten is a weak conference? Most sane people would acknowledge that the Big Ten is stronger than the ACC and Big East. As for the Pac Ten, Penn State destroyed the current Pac Ten leader (and team that beat USC). If Oregon State wins the Pac Ten, no other conference champion can say they beat a conference champion from another BCS conference (unless FSU can actually win the ACC). USC ranked ahead of Penn State (and the thought that the Pac Ten is a better conference than the Big Ten) is a joke. As far as the SEC, I would like to know what game of relevance has been won out of conference this year by an SEC team. The SEC is a two team conference just like most other conferences. I keep hearing about how great Florida is. Anyone remember the beat down that supposedly unathletic Michigan team gave the mighty Gators in last year's Bowl game? Since the BCS came into existence the Big Ten has a winning record against the SEC in their Bowl games. Sorry SEC homers, but the facts are the facts. Live with them. With regard to the Big 12, I can't even remember the last time Oklahoma has won a relevant Bowl game. It would also be nice to see the "tough" Big 12 teams actually play somebody that plays defense. Also, how a team that gives up 60+ points and loses by more than 40 and still remains ranked in the top 10 is shocking and downright stupid. That shows that the rankings are an absolute sham. This whole situation has led me to actually defend Ohio State. I seem to recall that Ohio State was 5-0 in BCS games until the last 2 seasons. Frankly, I believe they lost the last 2 title games because of poor coaching and not lack of talent. Tressel was outcoached in those games. All you have to do is look at NFL rosters to see how many great athletes come out of the Big Ten. As far as speed goes, take a real good look at the PSU team. I would love to see PSU get a shot at Florida, Alabama, USC, Texas, Oklahoma or any of the other supposed top teams in perfect weather conditions. I hate denigrating other teams and conferences but I am sick of people who do not watch football from other conferences making uninformed statements. All of the big conferences have some good teams and to say one is better than the other is nothing but talk. The only way to tell who has the better conference is to actually play the games against each other. PSU has had 4 undefeated seasons without a National Championship so I could care less about championships. We at Happy Valley care about undefeated seasons. All of these issues could be resolved on the field if everybody would agree to what Joe Paterno has been asking for over the years. Have a playoff. We send the conference champions from the 6 BCS conferences and 2 at large bids. Don't tell us how to choose our champion (i.e. have the money maker that is a championship game). Just tell the Pac Ten and Big Ten champs where to show up and they will be ready to play.
Reality Check

Philadelphia, PA

#13 Nov 26, 2008
Give up. The Big Ten* is widely considered a weak conference this season.

*-Actually there are 11 teams in this conference, which makes them apparently too dumb to change the name.
spotter

Lancaster, PA

#14 Nov 27, 2008
Reality Check wrote:
Give up. The Big Ten* is widely considered a weak conference this season.
*-Actually there are 11 teams in this conference, which makes them apparently too dumb to change the name.
Good observation.
Oh.. but they changed the LOGO.. which kind of hides an "11" in the name, wrapped around the T.
BIG1T1EN.

As if it mattered.... Ugh.

PSU was better served as an independent.

Since: Feb 08

Highspire, PA

#15 Nov 27, 2008
spotter wrote:
<quoted text>
Good observation.
Oh.. but they changed the LOGO.. which kind of hides an "11" in the name, wrapped around the T.
BIG1T1EN.
As if it mattered.... Ugh.
PSU was better served as an independent.
Your right. At least as an independant they did not get tarred and feathered over what other teams could or could not do int the conference. Conference afiliation and conference championships are a joke since your playing your sister teams and they as well. What would a conference championship (rematch with OSU) do for Penn State? If they win, the naysayers will spout "it proves nothing", if they lose, they will scream "I told you so!"
Just like any conference. Beating your sisters as many times as you can only proves your the best amongst the teams in that conference. Example: Texas, Oklahoma, and Texas Tech all played each other and play in the same conference. Has any of them beat USC? Nope. Has any of them beat Alabama or Florida? Nope. Has any of them beat Penn St. or Ohio St.? Nope. Has any of them even beat Utah? Nope. We know nothing about these teams outside of their conference, like most of the others as well. It's all pure speculation.
brian

United States

#16 Nov 27, 2008
Screw the BCS! Every team that has one loss should get a chance. If there is no playoff then split the National Title 5 ways or however many one-loss teams there are at the end of the season. It's just not fair.
Texan

Owasso, OK

#17 Nov 28, 2008
If you played a tough schedule you would have a shot in the Big game, you choose to have your easy schedule, thats the price you pay, who besides OSU have you really played thats a good team
Leeds

Hanover, PA

#18 Nov 29, 2008
Texan wrote:
If you played a tough schedule you would have a shot in the Big game, you choose to have your easy schedule, thats the price you pay, who besides OSU have you really played thats a good team
Honestly, do some of you even pay attention?

Who has Alabama played?
Who has Oklahoma Played?
Who has Texas played?

Alabama has played UGA, and that win is looking less then stellar at this point.

Oklahoma, yeah they beat TTech, the same TTech who is barely beating Baylor as I type this.

Texas, they've beaten Oklahoma and that's the only win against a quality opponent that the three I listed have.
My Heroes

Valrico, FL

#19 Nov 29, 2008
Thanks everyone. You all are so very brilliant and have all the answers. Instead of pumping your drill press, you certainly should have some say in the formation of leagues and their invitations to bowl games. Keep up the good work.
Texan

Owasso, OK

#20 Nov 30, 2008
Leeds wrote:
<quoted text>
Honestly, do some of you even pay attention?
Who has Alabama played?
Who has Oklahoma Played?
Who has Texas played?
Alabama has played UGA, and that win is looking less then stellar at this point.
Oklahoma, yeah they beat TTech, the same TTech who is barely beating Baylor as I type this.
Texas, they've beaten Oklahoma and that's the only win against a quality opponent that the three I listed have.
You really don;t follow much college football other than Penn State, honestly you are asking who Oklahoma, Texas and Tech played, do u watch the games or just run your mouth about nothing u know, OSU has a great team, Baylor would run circles around u guys.. the big 12 is beating ranked teams,, who besides Ohio State can you guys really say is a good team? Surely not Temple, Northwestern, the list goes on, not to mention you barely did beat a good Ohio State team, a win is a win i know but before i ren my mouth about other conferences i think you need to look at yours, Tech is rated higher because they actually played some College teams..you are never going to change your mind i know, but please start watching some Collge football other than Penn State before you make your statements.. the reason they score so many points is there offense is dominating and cant be stopped, now don;t cry you have to go to California to play your bowl game, everyone says OU played Texas at a neutral field in Texas and lost Go USC

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Javon Ringer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tennessee Titans' Darius Reynaud glad to have s... (Aug '12) Aug '12 ronald smith 1
News Titans place RB Johnson on did not report list (Aug '11) Sep '11 Devisivefarts 4
News NFL Rumors: Tennessee Titans Must Show Chris Jo... (Aug '11) Aug '11 CHRIS ODOM 1
News Johnson runs for 142; Titans rout Raiders 38-13 (Sep '10) Sep '10 Laughing 2
News Forecasting the Big Ten | BuckeyeXtra (Aug '10) Aug '10 OhioWolverine Marion 7
News Five Reasons Chris Johnson's Holdout Will Last ... (May '10) Jul '10 CC Twin Falls 3
News What The Offseason Did To The Running-Back-By-C... (Jun '10) Jun '10 Bullfarts 3
More from around the web