PSU no worse than other one-loss teams

PSU no worse than other one-loss teams

There are 27 comments on the The York Daily Record story from Nov 23, 2008, titled PSU no worse than other one-loss teams. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

We now know where Penn State is headed next month. So it's the perfect time to discuss where the Nittany Lions should be going, why they aren't there and who is responsible.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Gonzo

Moorestown, NJ

#1 Nov 24, 2008
I guess we are forgetting that Oregon State is the best team that the ENTIRE big Ten Conference has beaten this year. Utah and USC are the only other teams that the big Ten played who are ranked today in the BCS. If memory serves me, Oregon State was the best team the the big Ten beat all of last year too.

One a lighter note. I am now 4 and 1 against the 5 members of my family in checkers. Last week, im happy to report, i beat up on my neighbors 11 year old cousin (she had to king me 6 times). So please bear witness here and now as i declare myself the Best Checkers Player in the World.

That is all.
Get Over It

Lancaster, PA

#2 Nov 24, 2008
I like Penn State, but quit whining. Strength of schedule... How would they have fared playing stronger teams all season? Probably not well. Oklahoma has managed to play Texas, Texas Tech and Oklahoma State. Alabama has the entire SEC to contend with. That is why they are better one-loss teams.

Why aren't you crying about Utah, who will go undefeated and without even the slightest consideration for the BCS championship?
Da_Bear

New Cumberland, PA

#3 Nov 24, 2008
I beg to differ on one statement made in the article. "A lock." We've seen in the past, and even in the current rankings, where one-loss teams rank higher than undefeated teams. It's happened to Penn State before also. So stating that Penn State would be number 2 and a lock with other teams still having 2 games to play is far-stretched. The Big Ten, even in the years of power, always seems to get the short end of the stick. I feel this is due to the lack of flashiness and lack of wide-open offenses most Big Ten teams possess. Look back over the years and you will see stingy defensive battles, not high-scoring shoot 'em up affairs like other conferences, and that is a strategy that has been a self-inflicted wound to the conference as a whole. How many times over his career has Joe Pa been criticized for pulling his starters and not blowing out teams. And when he has let his starters in and ran up the score, he's been mauled for that too by local AND national press. I didn't read one single article this weekend criticizing Oklahoma for keeping their starters in and running up the score on Texas Tech who were soundly being beaten by halftime!

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#4 Nov 24, 2008
pisu sucks! nobody cares about pisu. they want to see Texas!
George

Marshall, VA

#5 Nov 24, 2008
I am a PSU fan, but look at the fact that the Big 10 is probably one of the weakest of the major conferences! Especially with their non-conference schedules. It just does not help when you play three or four of your games against schools that are basically Div II programs.
Reality Check

Philadelphia, PA

#6 Nov 24, 2008
PSU no worse than other one-loss teams?? It can be summed up in just two words.

Soft Schedule.
Dumb Article

Mansfield, OH

#7 Nov 24, 2008
i guess the good'ole P.O. didnt' like my post...haha...don't critizie the big PUBLIC OPINION NEWSPAPER OF CHAMBERSBURG PA!!!!!!! haha
George

Marshall, VA

#8 Nov 24, 2008
Right now the Big 10 can not even compare to the SEC and Big 12. Get rid of the "soft" non-onference games!

Go back to the traditiional games as they hade before they joined the Big 10.

“I am the great an powerful Ny!”

Since: Dec 06

Lebanon, PA

#9 Nov 24, 2008
If the SEC seldom plays anyone outside of their conference how can they be considered so good? PSU thoroughly kicked the crap out of Oregon which went on to beat USC. Why is that not even considered?

Since: Feb 08

Highspire, PA

#10 Nov 24, 2008
llDayo wrote:
If the SEC seldom plays anyone outside of their conference how can they be considered so good? PSU thoroughly kicked the crap out of Oregon which went on to beat USC. Why is that not even considered?
A-MEN! The SEC plays against themselves and nobody else until the bowl games. If SEC teams play one another and the teams play evenly, it's a strong conference, if they don't (like this year Fla-Ala. only), it's a strong conference because of Fla. and Alabama. Alabama's opponents up til now just keep looking worse and worse yet nobody talks about it. It's all a bunch of preseason hog wash designed to manipulate the voting.
better than you

Chipley, FL

#11 Nov 24, 2008
llDayo wrote:
As far as your SEC comment...the SEC teams at the top of the polls have to beat nationally ranked SEC teams to get through their conference schedule and, if they are lucky, play another ranked SEC team for the championship. PSU did get their props for beating Oregon St. But a win @ Oregon State is much less convincing than a loss to Iowa. Kudos to PSU for playing a legit out of conference opponent, but until the PAC-10 and the Big 10 get a conference title game, they will always look lesser than the Big 12 and SEC to the voters. Sorry...that's life.
better than you

Chipley, FL

#12 Nov 24, 2008
Plus, you did notice that PSU played Coastal Carolina and Temple, correct? Those two football factories should have given the Nittany Lions all the credit they deserve.
George

Marshall, VA

#13 Nov 24, 2008
My point excatly! I love PSU, but since they can't do anything about the Big 10 they need to strengthen their non-conference games! I wish they would go back to playing traditional rivals like Pitt. Thats a whole lot better than Coastal Carolina!
Truebuckeye fan

Glenolden, PA

#14 Nov 24, 2008
George wrote:
My point excatly! I love PSU, but since they can't do anything about the Big 10 they need to strengthen their non-conference games! I wish they would go back to playing traditional rivals like Pitt. Thats a whole lot better than Coastal Carolina!
The same should be said for all of the Big 10. The Buckeyes did play Texas for 2 years and will be playing USC in Columbus next season. Actually, everyone who wants to be considered should play an out of conference elite team..
better than you

Chipley, FL

#15 Nov 24, 2008
Truebuckeye fan wrote:
<quoted text>The same should be said for all of the Big 10. The Buckeyes did play Texas for 2 years and will be playing USC in Columbus next season. Actually, everyone who wants to be considered should play an out of conference elite team..
My point exactly. The only problem with the SEC elite teams (i.e. Florida, Alabama, Georgia, and sometimes LSU, Auburn) is that they are hard to nail down with the home/home contract. Florida would probably play USC, Ohio St., Penn State, Texas, Oklahoma, etc., but they will not commit to playing home one year and away the next. They are fearful and should be. Until they do that, Penn St. will have to continue to schedule Coastal Carolina and Temple. The SEC is soft in that way.
George

Marshall, VA

#16 Nov 24, 2008
problem is OSU lost two out of those 3 games you mentioned! LOL
Ridiculous

Taylor, PA

#17 Nov 24, 2008
George wrote:
Coastal Carolina - agreed. But they schedule most of those games 2-3 years in advance, and they aren't as big of a cake-walk as people always make them out to be:

Obvious example is Oregon State. Last year, PSU played Florida International and they were good this year. I would love to see PSU play a USC or LSU or another key early-season matchup, but until then, I get a Syracuse or an occasional ND, that's okay with me.
better than you

Chipley, FL

#18 Nov 24, 2008
George wrote:
problem is OSU lost two out of those 3 games you mentioned! LOL
Correct, but they made it further than 117 other Division 1A teams. If they keep it up, they will be able to build a new stadium with just the bowl money.
better than you

Chipley, FL

#19 Nov 24, 2008
Ridiculous wrote:
<quoted text>
Coastal Carolina - agreed. But they schedule most of those games 2-3 years in advance, and they aren't as big of a cake-walk as people always make them out to be:
Obvious example is Oregon State. Last year, PSU played Florida International and they were good this year. I would love to see PSU play a USC or LSU or another key early-season matchup, but until then, I get a Syracuse or an occasional ND, that's okay with me.
That's the whole problem. An occasional Syracuse, ND (now), Coastal Carolina or Temple can only hurt them. They get no love from polls or computers for winning those games. It's a catch 22...they want to help the smaller programs or JoePa wants to help an up-and-coming coach at another large school and they need the win but they get nothing for it.

Since: Feb 08

Highspire, PA

#20 Nov 24, 2008
Once again the coversation moves away from Bama and back to PSU. Who did Bama play as of today, that is a team you can hang your hat on as proof they are an elite team? Georgia stinks and LSU smells even worse. Neither of these teams has beaten anybody and lost some games by huge margins, yet they are all Bama has to showcase. Florida LOST to OLE MISS! Give me a break. All teams need to play more big time games out of conference. Conference championships are only another game to play a sister team in the conference. If conference championships could be played between conferences, they might mean something.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Javon Ringer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tennessee Titans' Darius Reynaud glad to have s... (Aug '12) Aug '12 ronald smith 1
News Titans place RB Johnson on did not report list (Aug '11) Sep '11 Devisivefarts 4
News NFL Rumors: Tennessee Titans Must Show Chris Jo... (Aug '11) Aug '11 CHRIS ODOM 1
News Johnson runs for 142; Titans rout Raiders 38-13 (Sep '10) Sep '10 Laughing 2
News Forecasting the Big Ten | BuckeyeXtra (Aug '10) Aug '10 OhioWolverine Marion 7
News Five Reasons Chris Johnson's Holdout Will Last ... (May '10) Jul '10 CC Twin Falls 3
News What The Offseason Did To The Running-Back-By-C... (Jun '10) Jun '10 Bullfarts 3
More from around the web