Mike Vandermause column: Green Bay Packers General Manager Thompson clears roster of draft duds

Sep 6, 2009 Full story: WisInfo 9

Brian Brohm will go down as the Green Bay Packers' worst second-round draft choice in the past four decades.

Full Story
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#1 Sep 7, 2009
No comments?
jeremy

Barney, ND

#2 Sep 7, 2009
Every teams has draft duds, nothing new.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#3 Sep 7, 2009
That's what I've been saying all along. Others deny it. 31-33 is the proof. This article doesn't reveal anything that hasn't been obvious.
eric

Monroe, WI

#4 Sep 7, 2009
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#5 Sep 7, 2009
Good article eric. I especially agree with the following statements from the article's author:

1. "Thompson learned from former Packers general manager Ron Wolf that the only thing worse than making a mistake is living with it"

Unfortunately, for the Packers it took him 4+ years to apply that lesson.

2. "Indeed, there are reasons to question Thompson's performance as general manager .... My personal favorites are his resistance to spending in unrestricted free agency even after he struck it rich on Charles Woodson and Ryan Pickett in 2006 and his reluctance to pull the trigger on trades for playmakers such as Randy Moss, Michael Turner and Tony Gonzalez."

Of course, there is also the 31-33 record, the main reason to question TT's performance as GM. As you know, that is my personal favorite.
Danger D

Ipswich, SD

#6 Sep 8, 2009
I just had deja-vu. I swear we've had this discussion before.
normallylikeyell ow

University Park, PA

#7 Sep 8, 2009
"Getting rid of draft duds" appears to involve putting them on IR or the practice squad. The free agents aren't so fortunate.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#8 Sep 8, 2009
I assume that Ted feels that he shouldn't be the only one getting paid for so little production.
turbo88

Valley View, TX

#9 Oct 19, 2009
If we are going to get rid of draft duds..........then Justin Harrell needs to go like..........a long time ago!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jason Spitz Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Charles Woodson supports state union workers (Feb '11) Apr '11 Phillip Morris 4
Green Bay Packers vs - Hosni' Walker (Mar '11) Mar '11 DWIGHT 2
Green Bay Packers CB Charles Woodson backs Wisc... (Feb '11) Feb '11 Don from Kimberly 2
Dave Zirin: Green Bay Packers Sound Off Against... (Feb '11) Feb '11 WhatIf 1
Jersey Al's Green Bay Packers NFL Draft 2010 An... (Feb '10) Feb '10 GBPfan 14
After loss to Tampa, Pack needs to rebound (Nov '09) Nov '09 normallylikeyellow 2
Packers 14, Bucs 7, 1st Qtr (Nov '09) Nov '09 MN FAN 1

Jason Spitz People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE