Why Ted Thompson Needs to Be Fired as...

Why Ted Thompson Needs to Be Fired as GM of the Green Bay Packers

There are 149 comments on the Bleacher Report story from Aug 10, 2009, titled Why Ted Thompson Needs to Be Fired as GM of the Green Bay Packers. In it, Bleacher Report reports that:

Reports are circulating that the Green Bay Packers and their general manager Ted Thompson are interested in signing maligned quarterback Michael Vick... Why Ted Thompson Needs to Be Fired as GM of the Green Bay Packers Reports are circulating that the Green Bay Packers and their general manager Ted Thompson are interested in signing maligned ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bleacher Report.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Tstreich

Glen Allen, VA

#1 Aug 10, 2009
Another dumb ass stance against TT. Michael Vick is not even a consideration and if you had a brain in your head you'd realize it. That was just a stock answer from Ted -'we look at all options'. You've heard it before. And fire him and replace him with who? Steve Mariuchi? Maybe Brett Favre? Maybe Lombardi? Quit living in the past. This will be a contending team this year and future years. Bottom line is that he's drafted as well as Ron Wolf ever did. Wolf has the edge on free agent pickups and trades but TT has built this team into a contender and should be commended for it. Get off the poor guy's case.
Danger D

Ipswich, SD

#2 Aug 10, 2009
Jason Spitz is the best guy drafted by TT? Are you on crack? Jennings? Rodgers? And you're dissing Raji already?
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#3 Aug 10, 2009
Ron Clements states many reasons for firing Ted Thompson. However, he never mentions the main reason that TT should be fired -- the losing and the failure. TT took over a 10-6 team that frequently won and often made the playoffs. He turned it into a frequent loser that rarely makes the playoffs. The Packers are 31-33 since his arrival in Green Bay. They have made the playoffs just once. A GM hires and fires all the coaches and players. The GM is the primary person responsible for winning and losing. The record for the last 4 years is a matter of fact -- TT is a loser and a failure. Don't ignore the facts.
Danger D

Ipswich, SD

#4 Aug 10, 2009
Green Bay was bleeding talent before TT got there. He stopped that, and he's built it back up into a contender. I loved Favre at the helm, but there's no way the team would be better off with him at QB right now. And we'd be facing AR's flight from the Pack at the end of the year, because he never would have signed a new contract.

We've been prudent with money, rewarded those players who have earned it, and drafted pretty well, at least better than anyone else in the division.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#5 Aug 10, 2009
The Packers used to be contenders. The Redskins have won more games and made the playoffs more times than the Packers over the last four years. Are they contenders? I want the Packers to be respected and feared, as they once were. If you still harbor the fantasy that the Packers are contenders let me know. I can provide the quotes of fans of other teams that reveal that TT is a joke who is only respected by our rivals for the damage he has done to the team. I'de prefer not to repeat what they say, but if you insist on sticking your head in the sand, I can prove it to you.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#6 Aug 10, 2009
Danger D wrote:
Green Bay was bleeding talent before TT got there. He stopped that, and he's built it back up into a contender. I loved Favre at the helm, but there's no way the team would be better off with him at QB right now. And we'd be facing AR's flight from the Pack at the end of the year, because he never would have signed a new contract.
We've been prudent with money, rewarded those players who have earned it, and drafted pretty well, at least better than anyone else in the division.
TT's talent produced 6 wins last year, with two against the worst team in NFL history. All but a handfull of players on last year's roster were brought in by TT. TT has bled the team of talent. If he had improved the overall talent, the Packers would have a much better record than the 31-33 posted under Ted's mismanagement.

P.S. This has nothing to do with Favre. It has to do with winning and making the playoffs. Neither has happened enough under Thompson. It didn't happen enough with Favre and it hasn't with Rodgers. Don't make the mistake of focusing on the QBs while forgetting about winning.
Brammy

Cleveland, WI

#7 Aug 10, 2009
How does an article like this get printed. This guy's an idiot.
Danger D

Ipswich, SD

#8 Aug 11, 2009
GBPfan wrote:
<quoted text>
TT's talent produced 6 wins last year, with two against the worst team in NFL history. All but a handfull of players on last year's roster were brought in by TT. TT has bled the team of talent. If he had improved the overall talent, the Packers would have a much better record than the 31-33 posted under Ted's mismanagement.
P.S. This has nothing to do with Favre. It has to do with winning and making the playoffs. Neither has happened enough under Thompson. It didn't happen enough with Favre and it hasn't with Rodgers. Don't make the mistake of focusing on the QBs while forgetting about winning.
TT's teams showed improvement every year but last year. I'd argue they played below their talent level last year and a couple games above their talent level the year before. But I'd rather have this group than the group from two years ago.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#9 Aug 11, 2009
Danger D wrote:
<quoted text>
TT's teams showed improvement every year but last year. I'd argue they played below their talent level last year and a couple games above their talent level the year before. But I'd rather have this group than the group from two years ago.
In 2005 the Packer's lost 6 more games than the previous year and 7 more games in 2008 than in 2007. The worst collapses in Packer history under Ted's mismanagement. 31-33 overall and only one playoff appearance. Ted is an established loser and a proven failure. These are facts. Do not ignore the facts. The Packers are being harmed while people ignore the facts.

P.S. I admire your optimism. However, I know how effective it has been -- 31-33 and one playoff appearance. Trust me, your optimism will be better rewarded once the Packers have good management.
Rick

Olney, MD

#10 Aug 11, 2009
GBPfan wrote:
<quoted text>
In 2005 the Packer's lost 6 more games than the previous year and 7 more games in 2008 than in 2007. The worst collapses in Packer history under Ted's mismanagement. 31-33 overall and only one playoff appearance. Ted is an established loser and a proven failure. These are facts. Do not ignore the facts. The Packers are being harmed while people ignore the facts.
P.S. I admire your optimism. However, I know how effective it has been -- 31-33 and one playoff appearance. Trust me, your optimism will be better rewarded once the Packers have good management.
Ok. smarty pants... Who is "good management" these days? And please do not respond anybody but Ted....
Danger D

Ipswich, SD

#11 Aug 11, 2009
GBPfan wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's write out the actual facts.

2005: 4-12
2005: 8-8
2007: 13-3
2008: 6-10

Are you mad about 2005? TT was not the reason our talent had fallen into the toilet. He brought us back.

Really TT's critics are ticked about one year: last season. He was GM of the year in 2007. Considered a brilliant manager until last season.
eric

Monroe, WI

#12 Aug 11, 2009
GBP will bitch until Ted is fired,He claims he like Ted,but,his entries seem to look otherwise.anyway
normallylikeyell ow

Fallentimber, PA

#13 Aug 11, 2009
Regardless, we all want to win, are used to winning, will accept nothing less and it's time to start winning. That or he's out.
Rick

Olney, MD

#14 Aug 12, 2009
normallylikeyellow wrote:
Regardless, we all want to win, are used to winning, will accept nothing less and it's time to start winning. That or he's out.
Maybe Lindy Infante is available as a GM;-)
eric

Monroe, WI

#15 Aug 12, 2009
Hell we can bring back Bart Starr! and we can pull off another John hadl deal! Then maybe some will actually realize Ted isnt as bad as they think.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#16 Aug 12, 2009
Wow. The best argument that can be made for TT is that he isn't worse. You people make better cases for his firing than I do.

Obviously, TT has caused a fall off in talent. 31-33 overall and only one playoff appearance is NOT due to an imptovement in talent. It's not an improvement at all.

Excellent points everyone.
Rick

Olney, MD

#17 Aug 12, 2009
GBPfan wrote:
Wow. The best argument that can be made for TT is that he isn't worse. You people make better cases for his firing than I do.
Obviously, TT has caused a fall off in talent. 31-33 overall and only one playoff appearance is NOT due to an imptovement in talent. It's not an improvement at all.
Excellent points everyone.
One more time: Who would be better?
Pack Fan in Sea of Purple

Rogers, MN

#18 Aug 12, 2009
Rick wrote:
<quoted text>
One more time: Who would be better?
I think the Packer's board of directors are probably discussing the answer to that question as we speak. Whether you like him or not, this is TT's year to prove himself with the talent that he has assembled. If the Packer's go 8-8 or worse, TT will be gone, and possibly MM as well. Who the next Packer's GM is going to be, is a legitimate question that we should all be trying to answer. There is a significant probability that in 5 months, the Packer's will be searching for a new GM.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#19 Aug 12, 2009
I believe we should concentrate on firing TT before hiring his replacement. However, eric suggested that the following people would be great replacements: Mike Holmgren, Bill Cowher, Scott Peoli, and Bill Parcells. They all deserve to be among many qualified candidates that would logically be considered. It is hard to say which, if any, would be available and interested when TT gets fired.

Thanks for your constructive questions about how the Packers may improve themselves and become winners again.
Rick

Olney, MD

#20 Aug 12, 2009
Pack Fan in Sea of Purple wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the Packer's board of directors are probably discussing the answer to that question as we speak. Whether you like him or not, this is TT's year to prove himself with the talent that he has assembled. If the Packer's go 8-8 or worse, TT will be gone, and possibly MM as well. Who the next Packer's GM is going to be, is a legitimate question that we should all be trying to answer. There is a significant probability that in 5 months, the Packer's will be searching for a new GM.
Ok. That is all I was looking for.

Thank you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jason Spitz Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Charles Woodson supports state union workers (Feb '11) Apr '11 Phillip Morris 4
News Green Bay Packers vs - Hosni' Walker (Mar '11) Mar '11 DWIGHT 2
News Green Bay Packers CB Charles Woodson backs Wisc... (Feb '11) Feb '11 Don from Kimberly 2
News Dave Zirin: Green Bay Packers Sound Off Against... (Feb '11) Feb '11 WhatIf 1
News Jersey Al's Green Bay Packers NFL Draft 2010 An... (Feb '10) Feb '10 GBPfan 14
News After loss to Tampa, Pack needs to rebound (Nov '09) Nov '09 normallylikeyellow 2
News Packers 14, Bucs 7, 1st Qtr (Nov '09) Nov '09 MN FAN 1
More from around the web