Detroit Lions didn't play it safe in ...

Detroit Lions didn't play it safe in NFL draft

There are 10 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Apr 25, 2009, titled Detroit Lions didn't play it safe in NFL draft. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

While Bears general manager Jerry Angelo could have napped, jogged and read the better part of a good novel Saturday, his NFC North rivals were busy adding building blocks to their roster.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Rance Mohammitz

Bradfordsville, KY

#1 Apr 25, 2009
Sucks that the viqueens got Harvin. I never hope for anything bad to happen to anyone but I hope Harvin gets busted for SOMETHING stupid, otherwise, well I don't even want to think about it...
ha ha ha

Central District, Hong Kong

#2 Apr 25, 2009
Viqueens....that is so funny! Thanks for your intelligent and insightful draft analysis. I'll bet you laugh yourself silly making up names for Green Bay or St. Louis too right?
rosco

Lisle, IL

#3 Apr 26, 2009
Maybe this team can move to Chicago? The city of sports team losers!
Kirk

Atlanta, GA

#4 Apr 27, 2009
Yeah, but Angelo's Bears had a lot of late round picks, that'll show em.

“Harvin ROY 2009”

Since: Apr 09

Franklin, WI

#5 May 1, 2009
The Lions are who they are. OK, i get it, they have new management. They are looking for a new era. The Millen era was terrible, cool. Get over it.

Its a new day. I understand that DET's head coach was a former DEF COORD. So why is it they were so fixated on OFF in the 1st round? Apparently he believes the current talent will be fine, for now? Who knows. But I'll tell you this, in a couple years, Stafford/Calvin/Smith/Pettigre w are going to make for a pretty dynamic OFF.

That is assuming, they actually do SOMETHING to fix the offensive line.
Illini23

United States

#6 May 16, 2009
b1gdmart's post really says it all. I do think the Lion's were liberal with their two first round picks. On the other hand they took the talent they believe will immediate impact their offense. I really don't see the logic in picking an OT 10 picks too early with their 20th pick, which is the argument I've heard the most. Pettigrew is a beast and look for him to be jamming up guys like Jared Allen when he's not running routes. Now I consider that addressing the problems with the O Line. Not to mention Lydon Murtha, Tackle out of Wisconsin they picked up. They are headed in the right direction. Well done Lions.
Illini23

United States

#7 May 16, 2009
Error*
Lyndon Murtha out of Nebraska. My apologies.:)
wal0645

Yorktown, VA

#8 May 16, 2009
I thought the Lions had a good draft. If Strafford can sit and watch for a year or two, he could be their longterm answer at QB. What a division it would become with Rogers, Cutler, and Strafford!!! It would make for some entertaining games within the division. The Lions will get better if they draft well which has been their downfall of late under Muellen.
normallylikeyell ow

Martinsburg, PA

#9 May 16, 2009
Umm... I like the prospects, but did they do anything to address the enormous amount of sacks they surrendered the last 2 seasons?

“Harvin ROY 2009”

Since: Apr 09

Franklin, WI

#10 Jun 26, 2009
Its interesting that Detroit's coaching staff are mumbling the words.."QB COMPETITION."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jason Smith Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Moves by New York Jets' GM John Idzik may spell... (Mar '13) Mar '13 tonytocool 2
News Jets GM shows influence of Carroll (Feb '13) Feb '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News Jets cut Pace, others and clear $24M in cap space (Feb '13) Feb '13 Devonshade 2
News New York Jets 2013 NFL Draft Wish List (Jan '13) Jan '13 Cook 4
News What the New York Jets Should Do in the 2013 NF... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Draft Dodgers 2
News Jets Trade Struggling OL Wayne Hunter to Rams (Aug '12) Aug '12 No TDs 1
News Rams Sign Sam Bradford For $78 Million (Jul '10) Aug '10 Good and Evil 4
More from around the web