Report card

Full story: Baltimore Sun 27
OK, somebody has to say it. Rookie quarterback Joe Flacco has been looking a lot like Kyle Boller the past two weeks. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Richard Jones

Pleasanton, CA

#21 Oct 13, 2008
Flacco played well considering the circumstances. However, naming him the starter for the remainder of the season is trivializing the veteran core of this team. As a veteran, I would take the announcement as another Boller experiment (6 years of erratic, ineptness). They need to sure up the QB position and get a veteran backup in, just in case. If not, we will accelerate skill errosion due to injury and have to prematurely rebuild key areas that could possibly deliver solid play. Time is running out. Harbaugh should not place himself in a box. It's his responsibility to see to it that the team is not always having to defend on a short field. He has a fuduciary responsibility to field the best players NOW! by putting the pieces together to gain optimal performance/effectivness. If not, I would ask to be traded if winning is not paramount or in the forefront of this team's agenda. Everybody is one play away from a career ending injury. The future is now...
Brian

Parkville, MD

#22 Oct 13, 2008
gengidash wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree with your first point, because the commentators kept saying, over and over, how much they WARNED the team about Indy (and how horribly the Ravens traditionally play against Indy) and how the team just wasn't listening to the coaches.
I don't buy that. A large percentage of the team HAS played Indy before (lots of times). You don't have to tell Heap or Lewis about Indy; they KNOW!
I actually think part of it is completely psychological; it has to be. That's six losses to Indy in a row (at Indy, I think)?
But your point about Miami is telling. The Dolphins aren't as horrible as they have been, and they played it down to the last 2 seconds yesterday.
Getting your team fired up to play against an opponent is only one aspect of coaching. Preparing your team and having a sound game plan in place is a whole different ball game. The offensive, defensive, and special teams schemes that were employed by Harbaugh's staff were awful. e.g. passing the ball instead of running it when the game was even or still close at the beginning. Playing corey Ivy in single coverage, etc. I agree that the players have a responsibility to get up for the games but the coaching staff didn't even put them in a position to be competitive yesterday. As far as Harbaugh warning his team about Indy, I'm sure he warns his team about every opponenet they face each week. All coaches do.
FireTrembley

United States

#23 Oct 13, 2008
The Ravens lost their manhood in Indy yesterday. Right in front of 63,000 Colts fans.
Castellimon

Columbus, OH

#24 Oct 13, 2008
Sorry Preston, I beat you on mentioning that Flacco looked like Boller weeks ago. You were talking him up until this game.

Why we committed to starting Flacco for the rest of the season is beyond logic after what we've gone through over the years with our QBs.

Is there some type of mental disease afflicting the front office?
FireTrembley

United States

#25 Oct 13, 2008
Castellimon wrote:
Sorry Preston, I beat you on mentioning that Flacco looked like Boller weeks ago. You were talking him up until this game.
Why we committed to starting Flacco for the rest of the season is beyond logic after what we've gone through over the years with our QBs.
Is there some type of mental disease afflicting the front office?
It's called a QB of the future. This team isn't a winner this year even with a better QB. Get that through your head. This is the perfect year for Flacco to break into the league. Would you rather get this painful year over with and go 5-11 or delay the inevitable and go 7-9 this year and 5-11 next year. If we're going to miss the playoffs I'd prefer that at least we get something out of it.
Mongo

Woodbridge, VA

#26 Oct 13, 2008
I gotta say that Preston's grades seem "fair and balanced" to me. Ravens got rolled. Maybe, as a team that thrives and dies on its level of emotion, there just wasn't anything left in the tank after two close losses to P-Burgh and Tennessee. If so, that is indicative of the types of players Ozzie and Billick brought in.

Either way, I am most shocked at the Ravens inability to run the ball against a Colts D missing Bob Sanders. They could have started out the game doing nothing but smashing the ball between the tackles, but instead came out passing (in the interest of achieving "balance"). Should have run an unbalanced line, Power I and ground it out. Instead, we put our already slim hopes of success in the hands of a Rookie QB...on the road...against Indy.

Coaches deserve a D as well. Humiliating performance.
Sam

College Park, MD

#27 Oct 13, 2008
FireTrembley wrote:
<quoted text>
It's called a QB of the future. This team isn't a winner this year even with a better QB. Get that through your head. This is the perfect year for Flacco to break into the league. Would you rather get this painful year over with and go 5-11 or delay the inevitable and go 7-9 this year and 5-11 next year. If we're going to miss the playoffs I'd prefer that at least we get something out of it.
I've got to say that I totally agree. The best this team can hope for is an 8-8 season. Might as well get the growing pains out of the way this season so Flacco can come back strong next year.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jarret Johnson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Free Agent Inside Linebackers (Feb '13) Feb '13 The_Solution 3
slugfest (Dec '08) Jul '12 Abby wilson 1,426
BLOG: Ravens Comradery (Sep '11) Sep '11 Chirpfarts 3
One day later, Ravens DT Terrence Cody launches... (Jul '10) Jul '10 Wow 1
Fourteen years later, Ray Lewis still despises ... (Nov '09) Nov '09 WhereHaveUGoneJoh... 9
Fourteen years later, Lewis still despises losing (Nov '09) Nov '09 WhereHaveUGoneJoh... 1
Ravens continue to self-destruct in 17-7 loss t... (Nov '09) Nov '09 demented ferret 9
More from around the web