Ravens will not use franchise tag on ...

Ravens will not use franchise tag on Thomas - baltimoresun.com

There are 32 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Feb 22, 2007, titled Ravens will not use franchise tag on Thomas - baltimoresun.com. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

The Ravens have decided not to use the franchise tag on Adalius Thomas and will allow the All-Pro linebacker to become an unrestricted free agent on March 2, general manager Ozzie Newsome said today.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
awalker

Baltimore, MD

#1 Feb 22, 2007
If they don't sign him. Goodbye Defense. They need to move Ozzie out!
Matthew

Cheshire, CT

#2 Feb 22, 2007
AD is one of the best types of players on and off the field. If they let AD go and then go after someone like Cato June, I think it would be a big mistake. If you donít have money for AD then how would you have the money for June? AD is a difference maker like Ray Lewis. He is one of the best if not the best defensive player in the NFL. How many guys can play all 11 defensive positions? The Ravens lose him they lose a lot of versatility which is one of the biggest strength of the defense.
kyle boller

Englewood, CO

#3 Feb 22, 2007
we need adalius :(
Grant

New York, NY

#4 Feb 22, 2007
Any idea about what his contract will look like, aside from the bonus, and what kind of a cap hit a team will take to get him?
eden

Pittsburg, CA

#5 Feb 22, 2007
welcome to the 49ers
Nick

Sparks Glencoe, MD

#6 Feb 22, 2007
While I agree we need to sign him, and it was stupid not to use the tag on him, have we EVER been wrong on a free agent we let go? Sharper, Starks, Hartwell, Baxter, Demps.. where are these guys now? What have they done? Nothing. Thomas needs this Ravens defense as much as they need him, he knows this and they will get a deal done.
Jeff

Baltimore, MD

#7 Feb 22, 2007
I know everybody doesn't want to see AD go, but if the Ravens don't have the money, then they don't. I would say AD is a great player, but i wouldn't say that he is the best in the NFL. Ozzie will find people in the draft and undrafted people to come play and the team will be as good as it was last year. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see AD go either, but I don't think it is the end of the world for the Ravens.
Kevbro

United States

#8 Feb 22, 2007
While I understand the Ravens decision not to sign Adalius Thomas, I'd hate to see him leave the Ravens. The camraderie and cohesion the defense has is phenomenol. The defense is superb, but I believe it could be even better next year. Rex Ryan's return and basically the entire unit staying put will bode well for our defense. However, losing Thomas would be a big blow.
flyer

United States

#9 Feb 22, 2007
He's gone, it's as simple as that.
Look if they really wanted to keep him they would have used the franchise tag, especially at his age.
Antonio

United States

#10 Feb 22, 2007
Though I hate to see AD go, it's the best thing that could happen for him,he'll get paid for his hard work over the years. The Ravens were just going to low ball him like they always do their lower round draftee's turned free-agents. If your not a first round pro-bowler your history. So the search will go on for his replacement for the next two to three years. Thanks Management, that why the Ravens will be just good enuff to lose in the playoffs.
Mather

United States

#11 Feb 22, 2007
As much as I hate to see him go, it most likely is going to work out for the Ravens in the long run. They have a history of underrated players stepping up to fill the void when given a chance Jerret, Dan Cody, Cato June? Let the market play out!
mark paden

Skippack, PA

#12 Feb 22, 2007
i love the ravens but the beging of the end if thomas leaves a unique defense lose a major player
it is me

Towson, MD

#13 Feb 22, 2007
AT, let me know if you need a ride to BWI. See you around downtown, or maybe not. Buh-bye!
josh

Hilo, HI

#14 Feb 22, 2007
hes a future 49er!!!!
Jon

United States

#15 Feb 22, 2007
Why in the world didn't they franchise tag him and accept a second round draft pick in exchange for not matching an offer???????

AD would have still gotten his payday, and the Ravens would have gotten something to compensate for losing such a great player.

Teams are going to be scrambling to sign this guy. I'm sure that one of them would have ponied up a second or third round draft choice. Heck, New England got a FIRST round pick for a MUCH less valuable player (Givens)!!!
Mike

Reston, VA

#16 Feb 22, 2007
I trust that Ozzie and the guys making the decision know what they are doing, even though I don't agree. I think they should have cut Jamal Lewis to make the need cap room to place the franchise tag on A.D., but as I said I trust that the Ravens know what they are doing. I support my team, especially considering how long we were without one! Go Ravens
blane

Bloomfield, NJ

#17 Feb 22, 2007
As much as I would like to see AD stay with the Ravens, I also believe the team is making the right choice in letting him go. AD says "he would like to retire as a Raven" yet he is unwilling to deal in order to make that happen. The Raven "D" is more than just Thomas... the rest of the boys will step up to fill the void.
Face it folks, a thirty year old player isn,t worth the type of monetary commitment that AD wants. Everything will be fine.
MRL the Pearl

Washington, DC

#18 Feb 22, 2007
Franchising AD would disenfranchise the player (no pun intended), and it's a move that is cap-prohibitive.

AD is a special player, there is no doubt about it. But courtesy of their cap situation, and true to their philosophy, the Ravens aren't in a position to overpay. Remember, "right player, right price." Especially when time after time they've reluctantly let players leave, most of which have seen a major decline in production in their post-Baltimore careers.

Also, maybe the Ravens believe that, much like the last time AD hit free-agency, the market won't materialize the way he would have hoped. Everyone said last time that AD was about to get PAID... he didn't get much more than a sniff from anyone not named Matt Millen.

Maybe they feel that by not franchising him, they maintain a positive relationship with the player, and a chance at bringing him back under a more cap-friendly long-term deal.

And if they lose him, so be it. His contributions were appreciated, he was an asset to the community, and I wish him well when he's not playing the Ravens.

The Ravens rarely make personnel mistakes - I have a hunch that they know what they are doing a little bit. They'll use free agency to fill major holes, and the draft to offset the remaining ones. And they'll be competitive next season at the least, as they almost always are. And the criticism of Ozzie Newsome needs to stop - it is asinine.
Nora Skelton

AOL

#19 Feb 22, 2007
Adalius Thomas is an awesome player. I've watched him since he started in the pros. I'm not sure that I agree with what the Ravens have decided to do with him, but I hope that they can get him back in the free agency. Ozzie Newsome is a very well respected man that knows what he's doing. If he didn't, he would have fired Billick & not re-signed him to a 4 year deal. Newsome does what is in best interest of the team. He is not at fault for deciding this way, it's just what is best for the team.
Kyle Grantham

Athens, OH

#20 Feb 22, 2007
Ok, it's as simple as this, if the Ravens were going to keep AD, they would have resigned him, I dunno, any time during the past 365 days. Maybe before he had a pro-bowl season and was cheaper....

Bottom line is, most of us in the media had a feeling they weren't going to retain him going in to training camp regardless of how he played this year. He's getting older and he can't play any one position dominantly, the fact is, he's just good at all of them.

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, he's great, but we don't have the money, and there are bigger issues to address besides outside linebacker. How about QB, Steve's only got two years left max and Boller isn't going to be around after this season, how about RB, Jamal is getting cut and we know Musa and Anderson can't carry the load.

The whole line looks like it could be rebuilt if JO retires since there will be no reason for Ozzie to keep Flynn and Mulitalo around and they're already talking about letting Pashos go (good riddence).

We have much bigger problems to worry about then whether we retained a guy who had one good year at and is asking for way too much money considering his age. Let's concentrate on the bigger points, like why Brian Billick got a huge pay raise and why our offensive line that was second in the league in sacks allowed could be completely redone.

AD, wherever you go, good luck, you're a great player and you deserve to be on a good team, it's just a shame $3 million a year isn't enough. I know it would take a care of my student loans.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jarret Johnson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Free Agent Inside Linebackers (Feb '13) Feb '13 The_Solution 3
News slugfest (Dec '08) Jul '12 Abby wilson 1,426
News BLOG: Ravens Comradery (Sep '11) Sep '11 Chirpfarts 3
News One day later, Ravens DT Terrence Cody launches... (Jul '10) Jul '10 Wow 1
News Fourteen years later, Ray Lewis still despises ... (Nov '09) Nov '09 WhereHaveUGoneJoh... 9
News Fourteen years later, Lewis still despises losing (Nov '09) Nov '09 WhereHaveUGoneJoh... 1
News Ravens continue to self-destruct in 17-7 loss t... (Nov '09) Nov '09 demented ferret 9
More from around the web