Report card

Report card

There are 21 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Oct 6, 2008, titled Report card. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Joe Flacco was intercepted twice, and a third was nullified. He had trouble completing outs to wide receiver Derrick Mason as the Ravens had no long or intermediate passing attack.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Rise n Conquer

Brighton, MI

#1 Oct 6, 2008
Call it what it was: A bullsh*t call...and then a failure to respond to adversity.
PS. What's with the failure to pressure/sack the QB ever... EXCEPT the Suggs play.
Anti Gary

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#2 Oct 6, 2008
Stover should have had that suit case packed a year ago. Look, I'm not going to give Stover all the praise that alot of people in Baltimore do because he was a successful kicker under a failed offensive system. The offense never scored touchdowns under Billick's pitiful offfense. I always thought that Stover was overrated. Plus, I did not like the way that he tried to oust Gene Upshaw. The same man that gave him the opportunity to make a good living. Also, I've never seen him come to the aid of inner city youth the way he did for that teenager who murdered his mom, dad, and little brothers in Cockeysville. Kickers are very replaceable. The Ravens need a new kicker. I won't miss Stover at all. Goodbye
fggf

Columbia, MD

#3 Oct 6, 2008
Flacco's 2 identical picks (should have been 3); Stover's missed FG; "D's" inability to make a stop when it absolutely had to; and the the ref's phantom 3rd down "roughing the QB" call, all led to the Raven's 2nd loss.
Flacco has so far NOT learned from his mistakes as both ints and the one called back were identical - rolling out trying to hit a sideline throw without reading the underneath coverage.
He looks good at times but also looks alot like Boller at times - stupid throws and quick to panick and leave the pocket.
Danny

Baltimore, MD

#4 Oct 6, 2008
I agree w/ Anti Gary that Stover should be leaving. He has had a nice career and scored many points for us, but he is only 4 for 7 (i Think) in field goals this year. When you have a RC QB, you need to have a reliable kicker and Stover may be past his prime. On another note, I am having a hard time understanding why punters do not angle their kicks to the out of bounds when they are punting from around mid-field. Koch sent one punt right into the end zone. Wouldn't it be easier to aim for the 5 or 10 yard line out of bounds?
ech

Baltimore, MD

#5 Oct 6, 2008
stover has no clue, he also has no leg.
its not all stovers fault, the refs missed that call om suggs for ruffing the passer.
we played a good game and i still see the ravens going 6-10 this year.
because of flacco development, a pleaseant surprise i might add (this coming from a troy smith fan). i could see us going 7-9. go joe go ravens.
Terri

United States

#6 Oct 6, 2008
I'm on the Harbaugh wagon - this was a TEAM loss all the way around. First, our offense is still one-dimensional lacking a solid passing game. This limits our inability to score consistently. Second, I have been looking forward to a standout special teams this year and have yet to see it. Yamon Figurs was more explosive last year and the only major thing that has changed in special teams is the release of Gary Stills. It seems that he opened many lanes for Yamon last year that he isn't getting this year. Why was he released anyway? So, ST isn't good on the return game offensively or defensively, and of course, there's the Stover blunders for the past few weeks. Third and final, our defense appears to be losing steam during 3rd and 4th quarters and giving up the big play at the worst time.

Blame it on officiating if you want to but if your team is efficient, it shouldn't come down to a "bad" call.

I have a strong feeling that the Ravens will come around. They are definitely more competitive this year than last - so just hold tight everyone.
Terri

United States

#7 Oct 6, 2008
Ooops - sorry for the typo. I meant to say this limits our ABILITY to score consistently. I had a typo and put "inability" instead. Sorry.
Rich

United States

#8 Oct 6, 2008
I agree with all the above comments. We lost a tough game to the Steelers last Monday. It was just as tough for them. But they travel to Fla. and beat a very good Jaguars team, and we lose at home to a very good Titans team. Bad calls yes, but still there is something to be said for that. We are at best a year away. Now the question is - can Ray hold up for another year? Still we have played extremely well for a new coaching staff and a rookie Q-B. It's been great football to watch. Just absolute gut wrenching, ruin the rest of the day- games.
webster

Silver Spring, MD

#9 Oct 6, 2008
Mike, I think your report card is dead on.
old19fan

Washington, DC

#10 Oct 6, 2008
I think it is time for Stover to hang up the cleats. A 45 yard FG with no adverse weather conditions should be made 98% of the time by any NFL kicker, and he missed by a wide margin. He had no hook on the ball at all and from a soccer style kicker that is kind of hard to believe. He didn't just barely miss it, it wasn't close.
Dubby

Washington, DC

#11 Oct 6, 2008
I agree with the grades. I'm troubled by the last two games. It feels too much like the old Ravens. Penalties, mistakes, turnovers, poor offensive production and total reliance on a perfect performance by the defense. I guess we have to give Harbaugh, Cam and Flacco time. It's a work in progress.

I think the turning point yesterday was when the Ravens are driving down the field in the 3rd quarter. They had the Titans on the run with the lead. We get a long gain for a first down -- and what do they do?-- call a time out. Why do the Ravens need to call time out on first down!? Their big guys were gassed. They did the same thing last week. After the time out, they promptly go 3 and out. Then punt the ball into the end zone. From that point, the Titans controlled the game. It's like a basketball team running a team out of the gym and calling a timeout on themselves. Inexcusable in my book.
dave

Laurel, MD

#12 Oct 6, 2008
Our quarterback is a rookie. We cant attempt a field goal over 33 yards because Stover has not made one. He missed one and we could not attempt another long one because we have no chance. So our offense again is pathetic, and we can not win with 10 points on the board.

Get a new kicker and we can win these games.
Jake

Fruitland, ID

#13 Oct 6, 2008
let the crying begin.....NOW! I thought it would be another week or so before the whining started.
Rich

United States

#14 Oct 6, 2008
Dubby wrote:
I agree with the grades. I'm troubled by the last two games. It feels too much like the old Ravens. Penalties, mistakes, turnovers, poor offensive production and total reliance on a perfect performance by the defense. I guess we have to give Harbaugh, Cam and Flacco time. It's a work in progress.
I think the turning point yesterday was when the Ravens are driving down the field in the 3rd quarter. They had the Titans on the run with the lead. We get a long gain for a first down -- and what do they do?-- call a time out. Why do the Ravens need to call time out on first down!? Their big guys were gassed. They did the same thing last week. After the time out, they promptly go 3 and out. Then punt the ball into the end zone. From that point, the Titans controlled the game. It's like a basketball team running a team out of the gym and calling a timeout on themselves. Inexcusable in my book.
How right you are. First 2 plays they ran and got 0 yards. How is that possible? Zero! Then an incomplete pass on third down. That really was the game right there. At that piont we should have blown them away. It really is a mystery.
Phil

Havre De Grace, MD

#15 Oct 6, 2008
What happened to the grade for coaching? Is that something you did just to bash Billick?
ChefSanta

AOL

#16 Oct 6, 2008
Flacco - young - inexperienced - needs work
Stover - He has been the ONLY offense we've had for the last 10 years - BUT - It sure would be nice to have a kicker that could put the ball in the end zone on kick-offs and - and - it would be nice to be able to try a 50 yard field goal instead of punting from the 50??
OC John

Ocean City, MD

#17 Oct 6, 2008
Mike, fair assessment, but do we have special teams?
I would use the tape on the Titans special teams to show our guys what they should be doing.
Jason

Banning, CA

#18 Oct 6, 2008
I agree with everything as usual, Mike.

"But the Ravens don't have a vertical game."

Every time people mention this, I will mention him: Demetrius Williams. Get him the ball before he gets traded to another team and becomes a star.
Brian

Willow Grove, PA

#19 Oct 6, 2008
Mike,

I enjoy reading your report card every week and think this weeks assessment is very fair.

I do think, however, that and officaiting grade needs to be added to each game as well as it seems like the bad calls are becoming an epidemic!!!
Christine

Lexington, SC

#20 Oct 6, 2008
i wish we had that british dude that is with the panthers. stover should retire.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jarret Johnson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Free Agent Inside Linebackers (Feb '13) Feb '13 The_Solution 3
News slugfest (Dec '08) Jul '12 Abby wilson 1,426
News BLOG: Ravens Comradery (Sep '11) Sep '11 Chirpfarts 3
News One day later, Ravens DT Terrence Cody launches... (Jul '10) Jul '10 Wow 1
News Fourteen years later, Ray Lewis still despises ... (Nov '09) Nov '09 WhereHaveUGoneJoh... 9
News Fourteen years later, Lewis still despises losing (Nov '09) Nov '09 WhereHaveUGoneJoh... 1
News Ravens continue to self-destruct in 17-7 loss t... (Nov '09) Nov '09 demented ferret 9