Mike Preston's report card

Full story: Baltimore Sun

Quarterback: C- Rookie Joe Flacco completed 13 of 19 passes for 129 yards and had two interceptions.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of103
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
hellooo

Crofton, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2008

Flacco had a great pass on the outside to clayton that should've been 6 but the refs missed the PI
Nattybohfiend

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2008

You forgot O-line.

Also, Flacco went downfield twice. One was the pick in the endzone and the second was overthrown to Clayton on a go-route in the late third quarter.
maniak

Towson, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2008

still cant give flacco any bettre than a boller C+? wow
DaJellyBelly

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2008

Preston's report cards are only good for lining bird cage bottoms. LOL
Prospect Expert

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2008

DaJellyBelly wrote:
Preston's report cards are only good for lining bird cage bottoms. LOL
I enjoy reading the man's articles. I value his opinions. He understands the game of football.

Flacco is already a better QB than Boller was after five seasons in the NFL.
Ravens_Flock

Chico, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2008

The Ravens played very well today.........but seriously, Flacco needs to IMPROVE his passing game. Quick.

He hasn't had a rating above 60.0 yet, and while yes, it's only been two games, and he has made a handful of good looking passes, he also just about threw 4 INTs today. He's lucky one was called back and the other was dropped...but he STILL had two that could have cost the Ravens the game if circumstances had been different. He seems to make some moves in the pocket, making time to make a play. But now he just needs to start MAKING more of those plays he gives himself time for.

Point being, while our Defense, Special Teams, and Running Offense have been OUTSTANDING, nothing yet has changed on our typically bad passing offense. And you can't pin it on the receiving corp today. Mason, Heap, Clayton, Williams, they ALL looked solid. Flacco just needs to pass better, end of story. 2 INTs and a lost fumble,+0 TDs, is not a recipe for success.

I wonder, Mike Preston, back in 2003, when Boller posted the kinds of ratings that Flacco has so far, would you really be giving him a "C-" for such a HORRIBLE performance? I highly doubt it..........
Ravens_Flock

Chico, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2008

Prospect Expert wrote:
<quoted text>
I enjoy reading the man's articles. I value his opinions. He understands the game of football.
Flacco is already a better QB than Boller was after five seasons in the NFL.
And you need to be slapped HARD across the face. I mean like so hard that some teeth fall out. Flacco after 2 games, with a combined total of 2 INTs, a fumble, 0 passing TDs, and a QB rating of 55.7....and he's "better than Boller was after 5 seasons"?

This is the worst kind of homerism in the world, and you're an embarrassment to fans everywhere. You can hate on Boller all you want, but at least don't try to support that hate with BLATANT bulls**t.

FYI, Boller? After 5 seasons? Was completing over 70% of his passes in the preseason, before he was injured. He also outplayed and outperformed Smith AND Flacco (who wasn't even in contention for the starting spot until Boller and Smith went down) in the offseason. I could absolutely guarantee you, that had Boller been healthy and our starter in the last two games, we could have added a few passing TDs to our already otherwise outstanding performance.

Don't get it twisted, Flacco WILL improve, I'm sure of that. But let's be honest, he looked OKAY in Game 1, and ABYSMAL in Game 2. He sure as hell better show some serious improvement in Game 3, because it's against the Steelers, IN Pittsburgh, on Monday Night Football. Boller? You know, the guy that you said Flacco is "ALREADY better than?" Yeah....last time the Ravens had a Monday Night Football game, he OUTPLAYED league MVP Tom Brady, and almost led the injury ridden Ravens in a history making upset of the NFL's "perfect" team.

Next time you make a statement, try backing it up with some tact and intelligence. Have a nice day.
SevernDave

Fort George G Meade, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2008

Mike, how could you NOT mention the job Jim Leonard did as the kickoff return guy in your "Special Teams" section? He did an excellent job yesterday.........And Ravens_Flock, the fact of the matter is, Flacco looks more poised, and calm, and instinctive at the QB position than Boller EVER has!!! Maybe that's what Prospect Expert meant -- I don't know. Joe's gonna make mistakes -- it was only his 2nd game, for heaven's sake!! But he has better pocket presence and senses pressure better than Boller ever did and WILL be a better QB than Boller has the capability of being.
Anti Gary

Fort Huachuca, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2008

It may be time to keep an eye on Stover. I have a funny feeling that he is in decline.
Anti Gary

Fort Huachuca, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2008

Ravens_Flock wrote:
<quoted text>
And you need to be slapped HARD across the face. I mean like so hard that some teeth fall out. Flacco after 2 games, with a combined total of 2 INTs, a fumble, 0 passing TDs, and a QB rating of 55.7....and he's "better than Boller was after 5 seasons"?
This is the worst kind of homerism in the world, and you're an embarrassment to fans everywhere. You can hate on Boller all you want, but at least don't try to support that hate with BLATANT bulls**t.
FYI, Boller? After 5 seasons? Was completing over 70% of his passes in the preseason, before he was injured. He also outplayed and outperformed Smith AND Flacco (who wasn't even in contention for the starting spot until Boller and Smith went down) in the offseason. I could absolutely guarantee you, that had Boller been healthy and our starter in the last two games, we could have added a few passing TDs to our already otherwise outstanding performance.
Don't get it twisted, Flacco WILL improve, I'm sure of that. But let's be honest, he looked OKAY in Game 1, and ABYSMAL in Game 2. He sure as hell better show some serious improvement in Game 3, because it's against the Steelers, IN Pittsburgh, on Monday Night Football. Boller? You know, the guy that you said Flacco is "ALREADY better than?" Yeah....last time the Ravens had a Monday Night Football game, he OUTPLAYED league MVP Tom Brady, and almost led the injury ridden Ravens in a history making upset of the NFL's "perfect" team.
Next time you make a statement, try backing it up with some tact and intelligence. Have a nice day.
Are you crazy? Boller was terrrible. And so are your comments. Are you related to Boller?
Ravenfan

Alexandria, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2008

Just one comment on that called back interception - I was at the game, the only reason it was a interception was because the Browns player pulled our player back by the jersey and shot foward, if he had not our player would have beat the Browns player and been in position to catch the ball and possibly go in for a touch down - so you can't put the blame on Flacco. That being said yes the other two interceptions were mistakes and the almost interception near our endzone is troubling. However, overall Flacco executed Cameron's offence well enough. I have confidence that Flacco will learn from his mistakes. We will see how much he has learned next monday at the Steelers.
Ravens_Flock

Chico, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2008

You can call him "terrible" all you want, fact is, he is a MUCH more accurate passer than either Smith or Flacco. Flacco, as I said, will obviously improve, this being just his second official NFL game. But for someone to make the statement that Flacco, after two games in which he turns in fairly miserable passing performances, that he's "already better than Boller after 5 years in the NFL"....is not only an insult to Boller, someone who has worked his ass off and given EVERYTHING he has to this team and it's (largely) ungrateful fans, it's also an insult to the game of football, and anyone who actually understands it.

People can dis Kyle Boller all they like, but it's hilarious to me that these SAME people are shoveling praise on Flacco, who has looked far worse most snaps as a passer, thus far, than Boller has in YEARS, for "managing the game". F**k, if Boller had a 0TD, 2INT, AND a lost fumble kind of game, even if the team still won 28-10 as we did today, people would be calling for his head. But Joe Flacco, because he's the newest in a our carousel of QBs, turns in that kind of performance, and it barely gets mentioned. The kid has three VERY good receivers, and two VERY good tight ends out there to throw to, not to mention some very capable RBs and FBs, to throw to. He is a rookie, sure, you give him some leeway. But our team is playing well enough that we could win the AFC North for the third time and make the playoffs, if we play our cards right, and for that to happen, he needs to improve QUICKLY. This coming Monday Night game with the Steelers is no joke. Sure, we're "leading" the division right this minute, but if we beat the Steelers, we rule the division with a decisive advantage.

So, you people are welcome to your opinions and praise of Flacco all you want. But to unreasonably hate a QB like Boller THAT much, that you'd actually make a statement that is just plain BULLS**T....it's very sad, and certainly doesn't help your credibility any. No, I'm not "related to Boller". I also don't have a name that is specifically meant to p**s off ONE dumba$$ on the boards. I know your type. You're one of the same tools that was s**ting all over this team last season, when things were going terribly. Now, we've won a couple games, and guess who's a "fan" again? And if Flacco's performance continues the way it is, or, God forbid, he gets worse, guess who's not going to be on his jock anymore? You figure it out.

Me? I just want my team to win. The team I've been supporting for 13 years, win lose or draw. "Fair-weather fans" aren't fans at all. They're just an annoyance, and a disgrace to the sport.
Ravens_Flock

Chico, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2008

The above statement goes to "Anti-Gary", not you "RavensFan". I agree with what you said. Just to clarify.

DEK

Since: Jun 08

Fort Huachuca, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2008

Ravens_Flock wrote:
The Ravens played very well today.........but seriously, Flacco needs to IMPROVE his passing game. Quick.
He hasn't had a rating above 60.0 yet, and while yes, it's only been two games, and he has made a handful of good looking passes, he also just about threw 4 INTs today. He's lucky one was called back and the other was dropped...but he STILL had two that could have cost the Ravens the game if circumstances had been different. He seems to make some moves in the pocket, making time to make a play. But now he just needs to start MAKING more of those plays he gives himself time for.
Point being, while our Defense, Special Teams, and Running Offense have been OUTSTANDING, nothing yet has changed on our typically bad passing offense. And you can't pin it on the receiving corp today. Mason, Heap, Clayton, Williams, they ALL looked solid. Flacco just needs to pass better, end of story. 2 INTs and a lost fumble,+0 TDs, is not a recipe for success.
I wonder, Mike Preston, back in 2003, when Boller posted the kinds of ratings that Flacco has so far, would you really be giving him a "C-" for such a HORRIBLE performance? I highly doubt it..........
Stop eating those sour grapes. It was a great team win. Dominating on defense, special teams, and the running game is helping while the passing game improves. Relax, it's only Flacco's second regular season game.
RavensFaninNY

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2008

Flacco definetly needs to improve but I think I would give him better than a C-. What I like about Flacco is that he remains poised no matter what is coming at him. I also like his ability to convert on clutch 3rd downs to keep the drive going. What his QB rating doesn't show are those important plays that keep the offense on the field. I don't care if he ever throws a TD pass as long as we can keep drives alive that result in rushing TD's.

He made two ill-advised passes into coverage that resulted in interceptions, but that is all part of the learning process, everyone makes mistakes. Go look at the NFL stats and almost every single QB had a pick this weekend (Payton Manning had 2).

That being said the Ravens have a challenge next week. I think the Steelers will really show us what the Ravens are made of. Win or lose, next week is going to be a very rough game.
veedub

Englewood, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2008

Ravenfan wrote:
That being said yes the other two interceptions were mistakes and the almost interception near our endzone is troubling.
The first INT was definitely Flacco's mistake, as he tried to force it when he had a guy open in the flat. Rookie mistake. As for the second INT, it was a trick play and he tossed it long. I can't really put a lot of fault on him for that. In fact, I LOVED the play call.

What amazes me is Flacco's demeanor. He wasn't bothered at all by the interceptions, and he continued to make good throws. The one pass he made across his body, to a wide open Heap, was absolutely fantastic.

We need to keep in mind that yesterday was only his second start in the NFL. There will obviously be a learning curve, but I love what I've seen so far. He couldn't have a better situation either with such a dominating RB corp, and a nasty defense. Flacco = 2-0

DEK

Since: Jun 08

Fort Huachuca, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2008

Ravens_Flock wrote:
Me? I just want my team to win. The team I've been supporting for 13 years, win lose or draw. "Fair-weather fans" aren't fans at all. They're just an annoyance, and a disgrace to the sport.
You don't just want to win, you have a hidden agenda. The Ravens won yesterday, but you ranting and raving like an engraged caveman instead of savoring a great triumphant victory over a desperate team who did not want to go 0-3.
brandon

Laurel, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2008

pretty good assessment. i would give flacco a higher grade than c- though. he made some passes that were really nice. he made some tough throws. the trick play interception was not good. he should of seen all of those browns and not thrown that one.
David21009

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2008

Mike, how can you mention special teams without a shout out to the big day had by Leonhard? He was huge, the guy was everywhere! I know he got another mention in today's paper but you mention Zbikowski and Gooden by name for getting two tackles, you really should have mentioned Leonhard. You do great work, I read everything you put out there, it's not often (if ever) you forget a guy like that.
Mongo

Lexington Park, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2008

I agree with the grades except for the O-Line and Special Teams.

The O-Line is a Solid A. They dominated the line of scrimmage. The only sack Flacco has had all year came on a spectacular play of a DE against a Ravens RB. Gaither is the real deal. He is actually an upgrade over Ogden (circa 2006-7) so far this year. Saw him blocking 2 guys many times in the run game.

Special teams is a C at best. Stover can't get the ball deep in kickickoffs, and we are conceding 10-20 yards in field position as a result. He was 0 for 1 in FGs, and coupled with his miss in Week 1, looks disappointing.

I might bump Flacco up a bit. The interception on the trick play was essentially a jump ball, always a risk if the defense doesn't bite on the misdirection. He hit guys out of the break to the flats, and got the ball to their outside shoulder. Definitely an NFL arm, and the poise to match. His time is coming.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of103
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Jarret Johnson Discussions

Search the Jarret Johnson Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Free Agent Inside Linebackers (Feb '13) Feb '13 The_Solution 3
slugfest (Dec '08) Jul '12 Abby wilson 1,426
BLOG: Ravens Comradery (Sep '11) Sep '11 Chirpfarts 3
One day later, Ravens DT Terrence Cody launches... (Jul '10) Jul '10 Wow 1
Fourteen years later, Ray Lewis still despises ... (Nov '09) Nov '09 WhereHaveUGoneJohnnyU 9
Fourteen years later, Lewis still despises losing (Nov '09) Nov '09 WhereHaveUGoneJohnnyU 1
Ravens continue to self-destruct in 17-7 loss t... (Nov '09) Nov '09 demented ferret 9
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••