Mike Vandermause column: Green Bay Packers draft sends message to underperformers

Apr 23, 2010 Full story: WisInfo 22

Pack your suitcase, Justin Harrell, your days with the Green Bay Packers could be numbered.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
normallylikeyell ow

Clarion, PA

#1 Apr 24, 2010
Mike Neal, huh? Got to say that didn't exactly send me to the ticket site. We could have gotten him at 86 or later. Bennett was a solid pick.
normallylikeyell ow

Clarion, PA

#2 Apr 24, 2010
Burnett haha. oops.
Jeremy

Barney, ND

#3 Apr 24, 2010
I guess I don't get the Neal pick either, but I guess we'll see.
eric

Monroe, WI

#4 Apr 24, 2010
I get it,Jolly, if not jail will prob. be suspended and both Jolly and Jenkins are both UFA after the season and Harrell cant be relied on.
I really like the Morgan Burnett pick, we need a safety with size, who can cover.
The Packers still have 2 5th, 1 6th and 1 7th left. so the Packers can still grab a corner and some depth at the Oline,RB,WR or better still another S and or CB instead of RB
Jeremy

Barney, ND

#5 Apr 24, 2010
eric wrote:
I get it,Jolly, if not jail will prob. be suspended and both Jolly and Jenkins are both UFA after the season and Harrell cant be relied on.
I really like the Morgan Burnett pick, we need a safety with size, who can cover.
The Packers still have 2 5th, 1 6th and 1 7th left. so the Packers can still grab a corner and some depth at the Oline,RB,WR or better still another S and or CB instead of RB
But...weren't there better DE's than Neal? What about Everson Griffin? I guess they seen something they really liked.

“Go Pack Go”

Since: Jun 07

Stevens Point, Wisconsin

#6 Apr 24, 2010
Jeremy wrote:
<quoted text>But...weren't there better DE's than Neal? What about Everson Griffin? I guess they seen something they really liked.
Neal's numbers weren't that high, because he constantly drew double teams. He's a bull and will impact his first year. IMO
Jeremy

Barney, ND

#7 Apr 24, 2010
Proball5 wrote:
<quoted text>
Neal's numbers weren't that high, because he constantly drew double teams. He's a bull and will impact his first year. IMO
Good, I really don't know much about him. I hope he can have an immediate impact, GB certainly needs his help. I still would have liked to have seen a OLB taken in that spot though, but I'll leave that pick up to the experts.
eric

Monroe, WI

#8 Apr 24, 2010
The guy benches 500LB so hes got lots of power and seems to love playing football.Ted wants a football player and hopfully hes got one here.
and they picked a TE with the 5th round pick ( Penn State) im sure NLY knows more about him then i do,but, im wondering with a Compensation pick at teh end of 5th round and a 6th and 7th what is coming next and im thinking Ted must really like Brad Jones who replaced Kampman and going into a 2nd year Jones might be that much better who knows.
normallylikeyell ow

Clarion, PA

#9 Apr 24, 2010
Neal is decent, I've seen him play, but he's 2nd rounder. I saw him projected as a 5th rounder all over the net. I was questioning taking him in round 2--it seemed to catch the whole NFL Network team off guard. Yes, I know Andrew Quarless. He's a beast with great hands, but he didn't play much this year: in JoePa's doghouse for 2 DUIs. If they can keep him sober, he could be a good player. If you saw the Senior Bowl, you got a taste of what he's capable of.
Jeremy

Barney, ND

#10 Apr 25, 2010
Has anyone seen the report on this Quarless TE? Sounds like he had issues with alcohol in 2007, but hasn't had a drink since 2008 and Joe Pa said he had become the leader of the team and insiders think he could be as good as Finley....as long as he stays on the field. Weighs 255 pounds and fly's down the field like a WR, sure would be nice to have another weapon similar to Finley. I thought you would know a little about him NLY, any take on how he could turn out?
GBPfan

Fountain, CO

#11 Apr 25, 2010
This draft did send a message. It's not to underperformers though. Underperformers jobs are at risk on every team at all times. No draft affects that fact.

The message from this draft is that management believes the Packers need depth on the lines more than anywhere else. I don't disagree with that philosophy in general or specifically for the Packers. However, I wonder if one rookie safety is enough to shore up an aging secondary. Apparently, the Packers believe the natural development of some players on the defense (not just in the secondary) will be enough to fix the problems. I hope they are right. I still believe that some needs can and should be addressed through free agency. Alot of teams helped themselves with trades during the draft. It's not surprising that the Packers weren't one of them.
normallylikeyell ow

Clarion, PA

#12 Apr 25, 2010
Jeremy wrote:
Has anyone seen the report on this Quarless TE? Sounds like he had issues with alcohol in 2007, but hasn't had a drink since 2008 and Joe Pa said he had become the leader of the team and insiders think he could be as good as Finley....as long as he stays on the field. Weighs 255 pounds and fly's down the field like a WR, sure would be nice to have another weapon similar to Finley. I thought you would know a little about him NLY, any take on how he could turn out?
See above. He's good. Very good. Like I said: keep him sober and you won't be disappointed.
Jeremy

Barney, ND

#13 Apr 25, 2010
GBPfan wrote:
This draft did send a message. It's not to underperformers though. Underperformers jobs are at risk on every team at all times. No draft affects that fact.
The message from this draft is that management believes the Packers need depth on the lines more than anywhere else. I don't disagree with that philosophy in general or specifically for the Packers. However, I wonder if one rookie safety is enough to shore up an aging secondary. Apparently, the Packers believe the natural development of some players on the defense (not just in the secondary) will be enough to fix the problems. I hope they are right. I still believe that some needs can and should be addressed through free agency. Alot of teams helped themselves with trades during the draft. It's not surprising that the Packers weren't one of them.
It would be nice to add another corner. I am not understanding the the ignorance at that position.
wal0645

Yorktown, VA

#14 Apr 25, 2010
Neal was a good selection in my view. Jolly has some issues and as was mentioned, both he and Jenkins will become UFA after the season. I doubt TT will sign them both so getting Neal makes a lot of sense. I too was a little disappointed not to see a CB drafted, but overall I think there is a lot to work with here. We can pretty much assume Bulaga, Neal, and Burnett will figure into the mix, but the TE and Starks (RB) are the two players I think can really help us. I saw Starks his junior year and he looked like a pretty good player.
normallylikeyell ow

Clarion, PA

#15 Apr 25, 2010
Neal was a good selection. There was just no point taking him so early. We passed on some great players and had to trade up to get Burnett, losing a round 4 pick. I thought that was stupid. Neal would have been there in round 3 and possibly round 4, according to the scouting rankings.
eric

Monroe, WI

#16 Apr 25, 2010
You just never know,Bulaga was mentioned as a top 10 adn fell to the Packers at 23.There were a few players who dropped,you just never know.
There is time and im sure Ted will sign a corner in the time left before Trainning camp.Did anyone see the list of Undrafted players the Packers signed?
Several players at every position practically and you never know,someone finds a team and a system that perfect for them, the right coaching situation and you just never know you might get a player who can contribute the first year and become a nice player for a few years to come.Im wondering where Daryn Colledge who didnt sign his tender will fit in to this.
wal0645

Yorktown, VA

#17 Apr 26, 2010
I read where the Bears were taking a serious look at Burnett in the 3rd so moving up was required to secure him. He will definitely fill a need at safety where Bigby has slipped. Having both Burnett to go along with Collins gives us very high quality at that position and we have Bigby to backup. I see Tramon starting out alongside Woodson with either Lee or Blackmon as the nickel. We also have Underwood who should be a better player. So we have five CB's and if Harris comes back we have six. We have some quality at CB and you can't project the injuries. We were really soft at safety other than Collins.
Jeremy

Barney, ND

#18 Apr 26, 2010
wal0645 wrote:
I read where the Bears were taking a serious look at Burnett in the 3rd so moving up was required to secure him. He will definitely fill a need at safety where Bigby has slipped. Having both Burnett to go along with Collins gives us very high quality at that position and we have Bigby to backup. I see Tramon starting out alongside Woodson with either Lee or Blackmon as the nickel. We also have Underwood who should be a better player. So we have five CB's and if Harris comes back we have six. We have some quality at CB and you can't project the injuries. We were really soft at safety other than Collins.
In the 3-4 being strong up the middle is most important as in NT-MLB-SS, so the Burnett signing was nice, but is Jones or Neal gonna get to the QB? That is the question I have, where is the pass rush coming from besides Matthews? GB will need Harris, Woodson, and Williams healthy all year if GB struggles to hit the QB. Bush, Underwood and coming off of injury Blackmon just didn't get the job done last year when health was an issue at CB. I just don't see these guys coming in do to injury and GB keeps the quality at that position. GB is gonna have another tough year defending the pass, better hope for turnovers again this year. I am extremely disappointed no CB's were taken, when this is a pass first league now.
eric

Monroe, WI

#19 Apr 26, 2010
wal0645 wrote:
There is only one thing wal,Lee, Blackmom and i beleive Underwood are all coming back from injuries and Harris is 35 off a torn ACL so thats a bigger question.Blackmon is a good player but can be depended on as he is alway injured.I do like Burnet and COllins and Bigby as a backup and maybe one of the undrafted FA safeties as a back up after the 10 season,whenever there is the next football season,as Bigby will leave IMO,as he wont sit here and be a backup.TT has signed a few Undrafted guys with tons of potential that will ahve tobe practiced squaded and we will see how they turn,but, to be depended on injury prone players is dangerous IMO.We did lousy in the beginning,chalk it up to first year new defense,played well after with a hard lesson in Pitts,Minn and Ari. that our pass.defense secondary and lack of pass rush cost us dearly...Yes losing Al Harris corner #1
then Patrick Lee and Wil Blackmon makes 2 and 3 corners lost to injury,so its probowl Woodson and Decent TRamon WIlliams at the corners,,nice so far,until teams came up with 3 and 4 WR,then its
J.Bush? and others,,that wont cut it..Underwood should be good,if healthy.Safeties im not worried as much
Collins and Burnett
Bigby, Underwood, and we brought back Anthony Smith who shouldnt have been released to start with,so not great,is doable,its the corner thats the spot,but, if Jones develops a better pass rush,that will help
wal0645

Yorktown, VA

#20 Apr 26, 2010
Here's the thing why I believe TT went after Neal; Jolly is a question mark first off in 2010 and either he or Jenkins probably won't be back in 2011. TT had to cover the d-line with a quality player for Jolly. Harrell is no longer in the equation so we had Pickett, Raji, Jolly, and Jenkins.
I have no problem with Neal and I definitely have no problem with Burnett, who we probably don't get if we don't move up. I think this guy Quarless might surprise as TE, so that's the first five rounds of the draft. It just wasn't in the cards for the OLB or CB. Time will tell if TT screwed up in taking Neal instead of an OLB which is the only questionable pick here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jarius Wynn Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
[GIF] Jarius Wynn Rock Bottoms Michael Vick (Sep '13) Sep '13 Mr D D Day 59
Green Bay Packers Make Cuts to Roster (Sep '10) Sep '10 GBPmies 10
Roll, Tide! No. 8 Alabama pulls stunner on Geor... (Sep '08) Sep '08 Kurt 1
Bulldogs deliver message to Tebow (Jan '08) Jan '08 ARR 1
•••
•••

Jarius Wynn People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••