Green Bay Packers Rumors: Could Cedri...

Green Bay Packers Rumors: Could Cedric Benson or Derrick Ward Be a Potential Backup for James Sta...

There are 7 comments on the National Football Authority story from Jun 22, 2012, titled Green Bay Packers Rumors: Could Cedric Benson or Derrick Ward Be a Potential Backup for James Sta.... In it, National Football Authority reports that:

By Jason Shubnell NFL Writer When the Packers made their Super Bowl run two seasons ago, it was the emergence of rookie James Starks late in the year that gave them a huge spark.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at National Football Authority.

eric

Marshfield, WI

#1 Jun 22, 2012
I tried to pull up the article and got nothing so im going just on the article title or headline.Never heard either of these names,but, Cedric Benson is interesting.
The Packers are very high on Alex Green but coming off an ACL,there has to be a question there for the 2012 season.Starks had a real nice ending and playoffs in 2010,but,got nicked up more then once last year.John Kuhn is just a short yardage fullback who is a pretty decent blocker and pass receiver and Marc Tyler,who knows as an undrafted Rookie but sounds promising.
eric

Marshfield, WI

#2 Jun 22, 2012
Theres also Brandon Saine from Ohio State who hasnt played a whole lot but has a big upside and could be a pretty good producer as well as a few other back who are or were undrafted street FA so its nice to bring in a veteran and see what he can do and maybe the kids can learn something in the time they have playing together
GBPmies

Finland

#3 Jun 24, 2012
I think the Packers have no intensions of paying any big money to RBs. If they can bring someone in cheap then great. They might even bring Grant back since he seems to be getting no love in FA market. I donít really worry about the run game. I donít really worry about anything except how they will pay all these contracts coming up in the next few years. We have some expensive talent for cheap right now. I doubt we can keep them all but RB is probably not going to be a priority anytime soon.
eric

Marshfield, WI

#4 Jun 24, 2012
There are contracts that can be released to free up money but they need some sort of running game.A running game in the cold certainly helps and takes pressure off of AR.Who ever they sign now will come pretty inexpensively, may it be Grant,Benson or the guys on the roster.
GBPmies

Finland

#5 Jun 24, 2012
Well we all know the Pack will need to dish out some very huge contracts soon and I do not think any RB will come before that. Our RBs will be low cost, low risk- high reward type players. The URFs coming in the next years is going to be tough to pay them all. I hope we can:) I doubt we will be able to :(
eric

Marshfield, WI

#6 Jun 24, 2012
ITs going to be tough,but,maybe not quite as bad as you think.
They arleady released Chad Clifton and Nick Collins for a total around 10Mish ( give or take a few hundred thousand either way) and to my knowledge they didnt spend that much of that cash yet and they had a little room under the cap before that.
James Jones comes to mind now.
With Jennings,Nelson,Cobb,Driver,Gu rley,Smithson,Borel and a few others on the roster,Jones is certainly expendable and Minnesota a few years ago signed him to an offer sheet,so maybe that's some sort of proof he can be traded for picks to free up cash ( or we can just cut him and free up cash) 3M of cap space there.IF Jarel Worthy plays well as well as the kid from Miami ( upper 2nd round pick in 2nd round) Ryan Pickett can be released or a nice pay cut.
Hawk and his rather large cap number,esp.if guys like RObert Francois or Brad Jones ( who moved to Inside LB this year) prove to have taken that next step,or one of the younger guys like Vic So'oto step up,Hawk can free up 5-6M or so ( Hawk may not have played up to his 6-8th overall pick status) but he has been very solid,consistent and has done a nice job but again,cash can be free(d) up.
I counted 5RB and 3FB on the roster and i didn't count Ryan Grant ( since hes a FA,but, he hasn't signed anywhere yet but,as far as ive heard ( or lack of hearing) the Packers haven't made much noise toward him)i didnt include Cedric Benson ( obviously) but i can see Ted bringing in another RB.ALSO GB carried 5TE last year and i just dont see that happening again,With JaMichael Finley,Williams and Ryan Taylor,there is still Andrew Quarrless and Tom Crabtree and 1 or both can be released to free up cash as well.( and i didnt include a few youngsters on the roster at TE who may have a say in some of this by playing well and earning a spot..There are plenty of options to free up cash,obtain some Draft picks and Have a replacement players on the roster already so the damage would be minimal ( as can be).Ive been concerned about the huge deals coming up myself GBPmies,believe me,but, again it can be doable and in HUGE PART to Ted Thompsons ability to find young talent who can produce at a young age and can replace these vets making a statement that Ted Thompson has to be considered among the best GM's in the game today and every year of young talent producing is more proof of that.
eric

Marshfield, WI

#7 Jun 24, 2012
The interesting thing is Minnesota has a ton invested in Adrian Peterson ( IMO the best back in Football and id LOVE to have in wearing green and gold!)Chicago will have a ton invested in Matt Forte when he eventually signs to stay in Chicago (assuming he will but,im pretty sure he stays)
as far as i remember Det.doesnt have a lot invested in the RB/FB position and neither does GB,YET GB and Det are 1 and 2 in the division and Chi and Minn ar 3 adn 4 ( from last years standings) so it will be interesting to see if that continues to be the case in 2012.Chicago gets Cutler back until he gets hurt again,Minn. should be much better with a year under Ponders belt,Det. broke ground and theres no reason to expect them to be anything but better and GB should be better then last year if their pass rush can pick it up and produce and the team gets its tackling fundamentals in order

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

James Starks Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lacy, Starks lead Packers past Cowboys 28-7 Dec '15 Fart news 4
News Starks replaces slumping Lacy as Packers' No. 1... Nov '15 Sam Testicle 5
News Shy of the Packers' Run Game, Team Limiting Gro... (Dec '14) Dec '14 Pete SamprAssfarts 2
News Green Bay Packers at Buffalo Bills: Packers' Ke... (Dec '14) Dec '14 Phil Latus 2
News Eddie Lacy Concussion a Potential Huge Blow to ... (Sep '14) Sep '14 Junior Seau 1
News 5 Reasons Why the Green Bay Packers Will Win th... (Jul '14) Jul '14 cara murphy 5
News Green Bay Packers tabbed as 'winners' in free a... (Apr '14) Apr '14 Spielman 2
More from around the web