Three major factors in the Ravens' loss

Full story: Baltimore Sun 35
In the aftermath of Monday night's devastating, 27-24 loss to the unbeaten New England Patriots, the Ravens refused to say they were outplayed. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Rich

Finksburg, MD

#1 Dec 4, 2007
Jamison: I can't believe you didn't list the # reason for the loss last night...PENALTIES!(13 for 100 yards!) Sure you can lump discipline and behavior in this, but it's not just the 100 yards, but also the extra set of down after each penalty. This is the # reason by far for the defeat.
Pats FAN

Auburn, MA

#2 Dec 4, 2007
You were robbed, I love the Pat's and want a Super Bowl win, but we do not need any help to get that. We won our division prior to a game with you and really have no need to go undefeated to get another Parade. Our rivals are Jets, Miami and Buffalo. Baltimore and the Giants or the Eagles are just games to us. You have a right to be upset, I thought the only 1 sided calls happened in Indy. Best to you and your back up QB was great. (V/Good Team)
John

Columbia, MO

#3 Dec 4, 2007
While there is no coubt the Ravens probably blew this game, you have to give the Patriots credit for putting the Ravens in a position to blow it and for being able to take advantage. This was the best team in the NFL we were facing not the Dolphins. It was, by far the most enjoyable and entertaining game all year and I have no doubt that the Ravens' adrenaline meters were maxed out. Sometimes, teams just lose, get over it.
Maxx

United States

#4 Dec 4, 2007
The only thing that saved the Patriots from going 11-1 was an ill timed time out called by the Ravens.
Except for penalties. The Ravens outplayed the Patriots in every way.
The sacks on Brady, the dropped passes and the 3 and outs showed that the Patriots are unlikely to remain unbeaten this season. And are not the greatest team to ever play the game. Despite what some of the "experts" might think.
Ed from Baltimore

AOL

#5 Dec 4, 2007
There were so many chances the Ravens could have put this game away, but bad play calling, bad decisions and undisciplened football led to this loss.

You give Brady so many chances and you will get burned. He has been the best at late game winning drives since 2001 (21 in Total).

Stop blaming the ref's and look at many opportunities lost.

And the end of game 'unsportsmen' calls and post game comments just embarrass them more.
Bobby

Gettysburg, PA

#6 Dec 4, 2007
I hate how people say that the touchdown is a big deal...if they overturned the touchdown, those unsportsmanlike conduct penalities wuold've moved the pats to the 1 yard line, given them a first down, and had a 1st and goal at the one.....

Yeah...doubt they'd stop the Pats there
docford

Sykesville, MD

#7 Dec 4, 2007
Pats FAN wrote:
You were robbed, I love the Pat's and want a Super Bowl win, but we do not need any help to get that. We won our division prior to a game with you and really have no need to go undefeated to get another Parade. Our rivals are Jets, Miami and Buffalo. Baltimore and the Giants or the Eagles are just games to us. You have a right to be upset, I thought the only 1 sided calls happened in Indy. Best to you and your back up QB was great.(V/Good Team)
That was a very classy and objective post, and it is much appreciated after such a tough loss. I see you were watching the same game that most of us were watching. Baltimore sportswriters have a long tradition of piling on their own teams, usually to secure better jobs in larger markets, especially the one 35 miles down I-95. To be fair, Jamison normally writes better articles then this one. Good luck in the playoffs. You have an outstanding team. PS - I did my undergrad work in your neck of the woods and I remember very well the loyal fans and the long football and baseball famine before your recent successes. Enjoy them. They come and go (like our local sportswriters).
Rob

Las Vegas, NV

#8 Dec 4, 2007
99 percent of everything wrong with this team is a direct result of a coach who is all image and no substance... this is clearly an undisciplined, unorganized, unprepared, unfocused, uncoached team ..all their previous success is due to very good defensive coordinators, the quality of players drafted and their talent alone.They have always won on talent, if they were well coached this team would have atleast made it to 2 more superbowls.They have been the most consistently dominant defense for the last 7 years...if you give up less than 17 point's for more than 5 years how can you possibly win only 1 playoff game..it makes no sense, it's stupid, it's ridiculous, uncalled for... a tremendous injustice to these great players.. it is a waste of talent, careers and fan support...and Newsome and Busciotti have put their stamp of approval on it..Raven fans your money... your team ..and your support are all being taken for granted and wasted.
X Ray Vision

Bradenton, FL

#9 Dec 4, 2007
League rules
The coach (not defense coach) and players on the field are allowed to call time out.
COACH PROBLEMS
Fantastic Game
Jimmy

Miami, FL

#10 Dec 4, 2007
I live in Florida and to a person, they all say the Ravens were robed. This being said we have several Pat fans where I work and hey all said what a great game it was, and it was a shame the way the refs influenced the outcome. They went so far as to say Moss always pushes off and no one calls it. They did say they will keep the win but feel the NFL needs to employ Full Time Refs, so they will be more responsible . In general ,the whole area loved the game and just want the NFL to get this racial mess cleared up.
Alf Bergan

Middletown, CT

#11 Dec 4, 2007
The Ravens could have iced this game with a first down or two in the 4th quarter. Execute on offense when necessary and we have no talk of refs, discipline problems, etc. Although the discipline problems under Billick would remain, they'd have been ignored after a huge upset.

The bottom line was made clear to me this morning when an acquaintance summed it all with the comment "losers find ways to lose". The Ravens choked away a game, and their record indicates what they are this season.

Time for Billick to either get out of town or fix the attitude problems on this "team".
X Ray Vision

Bradenton, FL

#12 Dec 4, 2007
By the way!
Notice the Humble Pie from the Pats.
Marcus

Henniker, NH

#13 Dec 4, 2007
Thank you Jamison for mentioning the 3rd and 14, it was a horrible play call, all we needed to do there was get closer for Stover so he could kick a FG and put us up by 10. Yet we throw it deep and it gets intercepted, thank you Billick you actually had a good game plan until you pulled that out of your ass!!
geo

Copenhagen, Denmark

#14 Dec 5, 2007
What a bs, the playcalling was very good overall! and the 3rd and 14....

If anyone remember there was a wind! And Billick did talk to Gantz before that play, so obviously they needed more than two or three yards. So it had to be a pass, blame Boller if any. Boller though did a good game so stop blaming any.

We played a very good game against a very good team. And for the first time this season we played very good in 60 minutes. Let it be!
Nonamesunderthew ater

Zalaegerszeg, Hungary

#15 Dec 5, 2007
Pats FAN wrote:
You were robbed, I love the Pat's and want a Super Bowl win, but we do not need any help to get that. We won our division prior to a game with you and really have no need to go undefeated to get another Parade. Our rivals are Jets, Miami and Buffalo. Baltimore and the Giants or the Eagles are just games to us. You have a right to be upset, I thought the only 1 sided calls happened in Indy. Best to you and your back up QB was great.(V/Good Team)
the ref calls wereright ones during the final game. the Ravens robbed themselves.
Nonamesunderthew ater

Zalaegerszeg, Hungary

#16 Dec 5, 2007
X Ray Vision wrote:
League rules
The coach (not defense coach) and players on the field are allowed to call time out.
COACH PROBLEMS
Fantastic Game
but if they do: delay of the game and 5 yards penalty. Wich would have mean automtacly a first down for Pats. So it was better this way for the Ravens.
patsfan111111

Lady Lake, FL

#17 Dec 5, 2007
Maxx wrote:
The only thing that saved the Patriots from going 11-1 was an ill timed time out called by the Ravens.
Except for penalties. The Ravens outplayed the Patriots in every way.
The sacks on Brady, the dropped passes and the 3 and outs showed that the Patriots are unlikely to remain unbeaten this season. And are not the greatest team to ever play the game. Despite what some of the "experts" might think.
it wasnt the only thing, it was just one. the turnover by boller earlier in the quarter was another. they could have drove the field again and put the game out of reach but that turnover gave the pats their first chance late. then yes, the timeout, but thats the ravens fault. they also broke a rule doing it because only the head coach or player on the field is allowed to call timeout and rex ryan, the d-coordinator called it. they are lucky they didnt get penalized for that as well. that would have given the pats first and 10. thats another call that actually favored baltimore in this melee of blaming the refs for being bias against them. then the 10 yard hold on watson during his entire route. it wasnt phantom holding, it actually happened, just watch the tape.
bottom line is the ravens knew, like every other team knows, to beat the pats you have to play mistake free football and they didnt. you give a team like new england that many extra chances and you have noone to blame but yourself. of course they are a bunch of whiners so this weeks excuse is black racist refs and a league determined to let the pats go undefeated. cant wait for the excuses next week when indy beats them. maybe it will be the curse of the colts moving out of town. why not go supernatural if you really want to blame someone for your pathetic, immature play?
Nonamesunderthew ater

Zalaegerszeg, Hungary

#18 Dec 5, 2007
Jimmy wrote:
I live in Florida and to a person, they all say the Ravens were robed. This being said we have several Pat fans where I work and hey all said what a great game it was, and it was a shame the way the refs influenced the outcome. They went so far as to say Moss always pushes off and no one calls it. They did say they will keep the win but feel the NFL needs to employ Full Time Refs, so they will be more responsible . In general ,the whole area loved the game and just want the NFL to get this racial mess cleared up.
1. false sztart was fals start
2. TO: the refs had to call
3. holding: it was holding or illegal contact: you canargue about that, but nothing more. And both brings you back to the same point.

+1Gaffney: most players, experts, refs said: the call was irreversible after the video evidence.(Even if it was, thank to the undisciplined defender: 1st down and inches would have com for Pats.

and during the first 3 quoters, the Ravens survived series of illegal contacts, holdings and PIs they defenders made(on Welker, on Moss, on Kyle Brady )

Watched the game 3 times, the last minutes 10 times. I get opinions from different countries, and everybody said: Raven can blame themselves,, the refs gave nothing to the Pats.
Pats4life

New York, NY

#19 Dec 5, 2007
Look the Ravens beat themselves. They had them on the ropes and perstied to give body shots instaed of going for the knockout. Whay would you try to throw a 40 yd pass into triple coverage against 20 mph winds? STUPID! The refs didn't beat them they beat themselves. The ravens defense has no self control they are a bunch of trash talking thugs. Reminds me of another team in that dividion the bangels except for non of them have been jailed yet.
CommonSense Man

Mechanicsville, VA

#20 Dec 5, 2007
geo wrote:
What a bs, the playcalling was very good overall! and the 3rd and 14....
If anyone remember there was a wind! And Billick did talk to Gantz before that play, so obviously they needed more than two or three yards. So it had to be a pass, blame Boller if any. Boller though did a good game so stop blaming any.
We played a very good game against a very good team. And for the first time this season we played very good in 60 minutes. Let it be!
MEMO TO RAVENS FANS

this post above is one of the reasons the Ravens will still be plagued by an inadequate coach and a lame duck QB in Boller.

Far too many fans think it's no big deal for some of the most bonehead coaching i've ever seen and some of the basic QB intangibles and smarts any decent QB should have.

Boller needs billick to hold his hand on every single play, you ever notice how in his ENTIRE career as a Raven Boller doesn't have the smarts or leadership to to call HIS OWN PLAYS in the huddle? Do you really think only Brady and Manning are the only QB's in the NFL that can do that? NO, only Boller is the ONLY QB in the NFL that needs to be spoon fed EVERY LITTLE THING just to be average, and the guy spoon feeding him is a world class MORON. But I guess since Boller is dating Billicks daughter it's all good!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

James Sanders Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Headline goes here (Aug '11) Aug '11 Avant 2
Could Ryan Mathews change things? (Apr '10) Apr '10 Bullfarts 2
Second-ary chance taken (Jan '10) Jan '10 big dog 1
Major test for Patriots (Sep '09) Sep '09 Tony 7
Patsa young secondary to be tested again (Sep '09) Sep '09 kevin 15
Pats young secondary facing another solid young QB (Sep '09) Sep '09 Spy Cameras 2
Jones: Cowboys need fresh start (Mar '09) Mar '09 Cowboyfansince75 3
More from around the web