Big Ten favorites? Big deal. Now abou...

Big Ten favorites? Big deal. Now about that USC game a

There are 45 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jul 28, 2009, titled Big Ten favorites? Big deal. Now about that USC game a. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

The "news" landed in my e-mail box with a thud, not so much like a bomb as a bag of wet leaves.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Dave

Westerville, OH

#1 Jul 28, 2009
It's not fair that Jim Tressel and the Buckeyes get attacked because they look bad and lose one prime time game a year to an excellent team but continually win or share the Big Ten championship.(EX. 41-14; 38-24; 35-3 in prime time) All us Buckeye fans are sure, absolutely sure, that the Trojans would surely lose to the Badgers or the Wildcats at least once a year if they had to play in this mean old mid west weather like our glorious Bucks do. We are absolutely sure the coaching staff is the best because of their success in the Big Ten and we are sure that nobody could coach better and beat Michigan in the big game like our Hall-of- Fame coaching staff does. It's just not humanly possible is it? It is completely understandable that the Buckeyes could lose to the Trojans this year 35-14 yet we Buckeyes still know deep in our hearts that only the Buckeyes are truly Number One.
cowboy

Wyoming, MI

#2 Jul 28, 2009
it will be an interesting year, lets just hope the coaches can put all of the best offensive skill position players on the field together. Saine needs to be out there every down, along with herron,berry,small
OVERRATED

Columbus, OH

#3 Jul 28, 2009
Dave... Excuses are like armpits. They all stink. Until the Buckeyes can beat a real team, they will still be second class.

What's their BCS records again?
West Side

Columbus, OH

#5 Jul 28, 2009
3-3 in the BCS under Tressel.
Canukeye

Calgary, Canada

#6 Jul 28, 2009
Idiots like this one have zero appreciation for Buckeye football, Big Ten football or college football in general. What's Tress' record against Michigan? Ya, Michigan may be down, but I firmly beleive that you can attribute that to tressel's regime. No there is nothing wrong with the Buckeyes, and a rebuilding Buckeye squad with a sophmore Quarterback is the preseason Big Ten favorite jus shows how great this program is. And what idiots the media and the bloggers are.
John in Worthington

Lewis Center, OH

#7 Jul 28, 2009
The rest of the country doesn't just mock us when we lose. They mock us when we win too.

Look, even if the Buckeyes were to run the table and win the National Championship - until The Big Ten becomes a respectful conference, people are going to scoff at any success OSU has.

As much I despise Michigan like everyone else, it doesn't help the conference OR Ohio State's image when the Wolverines are down like they are. It also doesn't help that everyone is already placing an asterisk next to Penn State's high ranking due to their criminally weak schedule this year?

Bottom line (as they say)... OSU's reputation is intertwined with that of the Big 10. Beating USC will be therapeutic for us, but won't mean squat to the rest of the country.
claw71

United States

#8 Jul 28, 2009
Tressel's record against Michigan doesn't matter. Big 10 titles don't matter. College Football has gone national. It's a big picture world. Beating up on mediocre conference foes, non conference cream puffs and losing to ranked opponents makes for a lousy program.

Tressel is overrated. Ohio State barely gets by weaker opponents and struggles against the better teams in the country. Tressel regularly gets outcoached.

Ohio State will finish 3rd in the conference this year behind Illinois and Penn State. They will also get rocked by USC at the Shoe. But we'll beat Navy. That's got to count for something.
EAB

Fairfax, VA

#9 Jul 28, 2009
Again let me state that i am the BIGGEST BUCKEYE FAN IN THE UNIVERSE. However, lets be real. Tressel is old school, he will not change his offense and defensive schemes. They are BIG 10 Bullies. On the National scene we are nothing. Again, unless Tressel becomes unpredictable on offense and defense we will always lose in BIG games.

Speaking of USC. OSU and USC reloads every year. USC is in the same boat at OSU...replacing prolific players....However, USC's players are hungrier that OSU's players to prove themselves. OSU needs speed and attitude on its offense especially at the Receiver position....But noooo...(sarcastically) Tressel does not believe in Playing Freshman athletes with speed. If James Jackson (speed), Stoneburner (speed as a slot), Thomas (speed), are not used in a constant Five Reciever set to have the USC DEF on their heals (Pryor can either run or throw or hand off)(a little offesive scheme for ya)....they will lose... they need to stretch USC def like Oregon St did...Voting them favorites does not mean anything..the Big 10 absolutely Sucks and they are SLOW. thats why they are the BIG 10. we are big and SLOW. compared to the SEC who are BIG and Fasssst.

The Line can get nasty because of the addition of Boren (that is if Tressel have not turn him into a little puppy)...like he tried to do a beast like clarett. Hopefully his mean streak can rub off on some of those Offensive Line girls i mean Men...line men who cannot block... If OSU defense does not show up against USC, they will get Burn...and get Burn quite easily, especially on Seam Routes. I guarantee it...(another Insider for Def)

The Buckeyes are not learning from their mistakes in close games...a prime example in the Fiesta Bowl, blitz, Blitz....common sense (LSU u did it the year before)Quick slant for 6...Blitz, Blitz, maybe a show blitz then drop off (DUHH)...or even a Zone blitz to see where the route may go...again another helper on Def schemes.

KEEP voting them favorites that dont mean a thing when they cannot compete on the national stage...what they need to do is play good competition and stop playing big brother in the state of Ohio...IF OSU want National titles and not Champion Ships....they need to play people and stop trying to be foster parents to toledo, akron, Young st, etc...Play a VTech, South Car, a Aub...or a real good one Ole Miss... See how good our Big 10 favorites stack up against an offensive mind like THE REAL NUTT, Houston NUT.

It is tiring and sickening to here they are favorites and cannot compete out of there own conference....just like COOPER LOST his job for Losing to Michigan and Llyod Carr too...Tressels Job should be put on the line for losing Nationally...remember he only won with Coopers Players and a beast at Running back...who he tried to tame....All the players there are puppies who need to be fully grown Pit bulls on the national stage....

Constantly getting RAPE and embarrass nationally does not look good to anyone...Until you win one and i dont mean playing KSU, OKst, ND in Fiesta Bowls I mean playing TX, USC, OKLA, FL LSU AL GA...real teams.. in Bowl games..and wining emphatically then we can constantly brag or choose them as favorites domestic and nationally.
perry county

United States

#10 Jul 28, 2009
First off hand, whoever knocks the Buckeyes pack your bags and head north cause you my friend are not a true Buckeye fan.
We have a great program at Ohio State plus our coaching staff is owsome.
And so what if we lose a bowl game now and then at least we can say we were thier, where was your team at the end of the season?
A true Buckete fan sticks with them thick and thin, and doesnt cry cause we lost a game or twoThe Buckeyes are no dought in a rebuilding mode, but that will not stop us we just reload and come out fighting like always.
So if you want to bad mouth the Buckeyes, head north and dont turn back. Buckeye fan
claw71

United States

#11 Jul 28, 2009
perry county wrote:
First off hand, whoever knocks the Buckeyes pack your bags and head north cause you my friend are not a true Buckeye fan.
And so what if we lose a bowl game now and then at least we can say we were thier, where was your team at the end of the season?
A true Buckete fan sticks with them thick and thin, and doesnt cry cause we lost a game or twoThe Buckeyes are no dought in a rebuilding mode, but that will not stop us we just reload and come out fighting like always.
So if you want to bad mouth the Buckeyes, head north and dont turn back. Buckeye fan
I'm a football fan. I want the Buckeyes to be the best but the reality is that they aren't. Not by a long shot. I'm not going to sit around and praise Tressel for simply aspiring to be the best in the Big 10. If that's good enough for him he's not good enough to coach this team. Ohio State should be a national powerhouse. Florida, USC and Texas should be terrified to play Ohio State. They all see the Buckeyes as a paper tiger. They know the truth. Ohio State is all hype, but when it comes to Xs, Os, heart and effort on the field the Buckeyes leave too much to be desired.

Sorry, but I'm too good to cheer for mediocrity. Tressel needs to step it up or take his Mr. Rogers act back to Y-town.
EAB

Fairfax, VA

#12 Jul 28, 2009
Well said CLAW71

" I'm a football fan. I want the Buckeyes to be the best but the reality is that they aren't. Not by a long shot. I'm not going to sit around and praise Tressel for simply aspiring to be the best in the Big 10. If that's good enough for him he's not good enough to coach this team. Ohio State should be a national powerhouse. Florida, USC and Texas should be terrified to play Ohio State. They all see the Buckeyes as a paper tiger. They know the truth. Ohio State is all hype, but when it comes to Xs, Os, heart and effort on the field the Buckeyes leave too much to be desired.

Sorry, but I'm too good to cheer for mediocrity. Tressel needs to step it up or take his Mr. Rogers act back to Y-town. "
EAB

Fairfax, VA

#13 Jul 28, 2009
PERRY you are an IDIOT...No Rather an OXYMORON...No one is turning there backs on OSU...or Defecting to the North...We are generating criticism that OSU nation can use.
Ask yourself these questions and see if my answers make sense...
1. What is every college football program goals?
Either wining their conf and going to a bowl game.
or wining their conf and win a national championship...No team goal is to win their conf, get to a National championship and get embarrass...
Come on be real...we were no. 1 heading to the Ntl vs FL..everyone said is was going to be close but we lost emphatically...the following year people talk about redemption...we were Raped...we put up a good fight against TX and we did not learn from our past BLITZ mistakes and lost...The same year all the Hype leading up to the USC games and USC was BOLD enough during the game saying that they can score 100 or score anytime they cannot stop us...come on man...is that what we come to? are we the door mat for the national stage? are we such are great program academically, and athletically and cannot compete on the national stage?
2. What is Tressel record in bowl
west side said it 3-3... what are the Wins?
Miami (ntl chp game), KSU, and ND...OK the Miami win was great...Loses...FL, LSU...TX...What is the Diff between the wins (excluding miami) and Losses...ATHLETIC AND HUNGRY TEAMS...COOPER RECRUITED HUNGRY FREAKISH ATHLETES THAT COULD COMPETE...was ND athletic to compete?..no..what about KSU? yes but unfortunately the QB had a RAPE charge on his mind, the game was close...otherwise...
3. Why can't we play real competition to see where we are nationally? Forget about schedules are made 5 years in advance...
IF OSU play great competition away from home or invite great competition to their house...it gives them 11 or so weeks to re-evaluate themselves...but they rather blow out their fellow state univ and think they are that good...if i was OSU Ath Dept i would invest 2 mill some where and give those Ohio schools 700,000.00 for not harassing us on playing them. We are still big brother..but do not bother us..they are not good...and tressel have to be so self righteous saying that those teams are good...come on...Play a Oregon St or Oregon or OLE MISS, who will spread us out..let see how our DBs and Safeties play...when they have to be all over the field... seeing different styles to prepare them for anything in the future...instead of playing scripted BIG 10 offense when u are only spread out on 3rd and long... come on be real..
4. Why we dont put real athletes on the field...and give them a chance?...Open the so call play book that is so "hard" to learn but it took USC a week to learn it?...Surely our recruits that have to meet STRICK entrance requirements are NOT THAT DUMB...are they or is it tressel's way of control? it is sickening so see speed sit on the bench...with a red shirt because of seniority...or players who were in the "system" for a long time...
5. Ask your self why we are always the best man but not the groom (would use bride and brides maids cause that is what we are when we play real competition)...PLAY competitive teams early to make u better when u go through the scripted big 10 schedule.
6. Why is it we seem so unprepared when we are on national TV? If all our loses were close loses i would not be saying all these things about OSU...but the fact that we were DUB to be so great because of inferior opponents played...when we get our AZZes handed to us by good teams we have much to be desired...
7. Do u think it is coaching that cause us to be like this? I am only asking...cause i guarantee if Houston NUT, Saban or Meyer took over OSU with the talent that is there...OSU would have National Championships...
JAR

Dayton, OH

#14 Jul 28, 2009
perry county wrote:
Wow! Oh so eloquently stated. Ever heard of a dictionary, or better yet hooked on phonics. IMO you lose all credibility if you are unable to spell beyond a third grade level. And no those are not typos, that is idiocy on display.
EAB

Fairfax, VA

#15 Jul 28, 2009
Check this information out...

In regards to Ohio State, head coach Jim Tressel has mixed feelings about playing games later in the season.

"As far as playing later and those kinds of things, you know, part of me is an old traditionalist that I always enjoyed Thanksgiving weekend because my dad was a football coach, and typically his season had just ended," Tressel said. "We got to see him for the first time since the massive Ohio Conference media day that he would head out to, so that was a special time.

"I also have an affinity for our players who really train all year-round in our conference setup, they have a chance to be home for an extended Thanksgiving weekend, which really there's nothing more important in any of our lives than our family and having a chance to be with them."

Though it may seem that Tressel is for ending his season early, he also sympathizes with the other side of the spectrum.

"On the other side of things, certainly the arguments about the exposure later in the year with the conference championship games and all those kinds of things, I am sure there's validity from that standpoint," Tressel said. "The whole picture is bigger than just football, whether it's the discussion of a 12th team or a conference championship or the calendar and all that. You know, we're on board with whatever is best for the conference, whatever is best for the institution, all the while keeping in mind what's student-athlete."

Michigan's Rich Rodriguez does see a definitive difference.

"I do agree with the coaches that having six weeks as opposed to four weeks before you play another game does make a difference," Rodriguez said, "because there is a difference of execution and rhythm and just playing the game."

One of the biggest knocks on the conference has been its lack of attempting to schedule respectable opponents in the non-conference slate. Even with that, nobody disagreed that scheduling quality teams in the non-conference is beneficial in the long run for programs.
Davenport Cole

United States

#16 Jul 28, 2009
NO need to comment here.

Go Buckeys

Nuff said
the SCARLET BRUTUS

New Albany, OH

#17 Jul 28, 2009
THe HORSHE Shoe will be alive and the ghosts will be dancing on the field the time USC comes to meet their demise in Columbus! 1 out of 3 National Championships in 7 years ain't too bad in my book, I don't care what the national media says! GO BUCKS!!!
Harold

New Albany, OH

#18 Jul 28, 2009
OVERRATED wrote:
Dave... Excuses are like armpits. They all stink. Until the Buckeyes can beat a real team, they will still be second class.
What's their BCS records again?
Sounds like words truly spoken by either an Irish or Wolverine fan. Now there are two strong programs. At least the Buckeyes get there.
OHIO BUTTFACE

Whittier, CA

#19 Jul 28, 2009
USC HAS IN THE LAST 7 YRS PERFORMED WELL ENOUGH TO BE RATED AHEAD OF OSU. i'M NOT A FAN OF USC, BUT REALLY THINKING WITHOUT MY HEART AND EMOTIONS I CAN'T SAY OSU SHOULD BE RANKED HIGHER THAN USC. USC IS A SCARY TEAM! IT SHOULD BE A CLOSE GAME AT THE U. WE HAVE TO PLAY A PERFECT GAME TO WIN. USC IS NOT GOING TO MAKE MISTAKES AND PETE CARROL IS ONE OF THE BEST COACHES IN THE BUSINESS
Go Bucks

Wooster, OH

#20 Jul 28, 2009
I would rather OSU not receive pre-season awards. Being the media favorite makes you a target, provides motivation for the other teams to prove the media wrong. I'd rather see OSU quietly fly under the radar, no major pre-season expectations, and at the end of the year, come out on top (witness 2002-2003 national title).

Go Bucks!
claw71

United States

#21 Jul 28, 2009
Go Bucks wrote:
I would rather OSU not receive pre-season awards. Being the media favorite makes you a target, provides motivation for the other teams to prove the media wrong. I'd rather see OSU quietly fly under the radar, no major pre-season expectations, and at the end of the year, come out on top (witness 2002-2003 national title).
Go Bucks!
Beating up on inferior opponents only to lose the big games makes you a target. Ohio State's supposed to be able to handle the pressure of high expectations. I guess Tressel and his charges don't have the heart for it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

James Laurinaitis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Will The Rams Secondary Doom the Defense? (Jun '14) Jun '14 Rambotron 1
News 2013 NFL Preview: St. Louis Rams (Jul '13) Jul '13 Cam cisneros 1
News Rams announce Rob Ryan won't be defensive coord... (Jan '13) Jan '13 brent0025 1
News Pro Bowl has No St. Louis Rams Playersa This Se... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Tiffani 1
News Feldman: What would Rams defense look like unde... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Juanito 2
News NFL Rams at home in London after sharing Arsena... (Oct '12) Oct '12 John Paz 1
News NFL Notebook: Suspension extended for Broncos' ... (Oct '12) Oct '12 rdshu 1
More from around the web