Buckeyes stack up well in BCS | Bucke...

Buckeyes stack up well in BCS | BuckeyeXtra

There are 160 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Dec 23, 2009, titled Buckeyes stack up well in BCS | BuckeyeXtra. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Ohio State has been the most frequent player in the series, including the national-title win over Miami Wednesday, December 23, 2009 3:12 AM THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH Highlights DVD From Navy to Michigan, the best of OSU football from the 2009 regular season Ordering info More football When Ohio State plays Oregon in the Rose Bowl on Jan.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

big D

Sunnyvale, CA

#21 Dec 23, 2009
Brobama 08 wrote:
1-USC
2-Florida
3-Texas
4-LSU
5-Oklahoma
My opinion is based on strength of schedule,performance against ranked opponents and big game wins.
OSU would be in my top 5 for the first half of the decade but not the second half.The only big win the Bucks have had since the championship is the Michigan game in 2006.
And the only team to lose more big games than Ohio STate is Oklahoma... yet they are in your top 5???
O S You

Defiance, OH

#22 Dec 23, 2009
JStewBearcat05 wrote:
You know tOSU is in deep do-do when its hometown newspaper has to invent news stories to prop up its image. They know OSU is in for another beatdown so they have to prop up its history.
Unlike in Cincinnati, where, because the football team has no history of success, it went unnoticed by the newspaper and city's residents for decades and decades.
Le Dude

Columbus, OH

#23 Dec 23, 2009
For those who slam the bowl wins of USC and FL and LSU because they were "home" wins ... keep in mind, they were WINS. OSU can't claim the same degree of success in recent years. Quite frankly, not sure if that trend is going to change this year
big D

Sunnyvale, CA

#24 Dec 23, 2009
JStewBearcat05 wrote:
Just like the New York Yankees, Notre Lame can buy all the talent it wants. Sometimes it gets lucky and actually wins. With their payroll, they should win every year.
I really don't care if UC wins against Florida or not. All they need to do is keep it within 26, and THE Ohio State will be the laughingstock of Ohio, which will fit in well with your joke of a program that is a total laughingstock in the other 49 states.
Try rocking the Bucks gear outside of the 614 and you'll get laughed at the way people used to laugh at dwarfs.
<quoted text>
Now that the Gators lost and all of the bandwagon fans packed away their t-shirts... There are more Buckeye shirts being rocked than any other team here in Orlando... and no one is laughing.

As for keeping it within 26... good luck with that... Florida's defense is better than the entire first team all Big East defense... Cincy will be lucky to score 17... Florida scores at will against your "Defense" (in quotes because I'm not sure it can really be called a defense)
Ally bakk

Defiance, OH

#25 Dec 23, 2009
What can you say about a football program whose coach leaves it weeks before it is to play in a BCS bowl game? Poor Stew. Poor Bearcats. Poor Cincinnati.

Do not mock them. Pity them.
Pam

Chicopee, MA

#28 Dec 23, 2009
JStewBearcat05 wrote:
Just like the New York Yankees, Notre Lame can buy all the talent it wants. Sometimes it gets lucky and actually wins. With their payroll, they should win every year.
I really don't care if UC wins against Florida or not. All they need to do is keep it within 26, and THE Ohio State will be the laughingstock of Ohio, which will fit in well with your joke of a program that is a total laughingstock in the other 49 states.
Try rocking the Bucks gear outside of the 614 and you'll get laughed at the way people used to laugh at dwarfs.
<quoted text>
Hey buddy, come up to 212,201,609,732 and see just how many of rock Buckeye gear. 4,000 of us living in the NYC/NJ area. Wear Cincy gear and nobody will laugh since they will have no clue who the Bearcats are.
Gator Gary

Marietta, GA

#29 Dec 23, 2009
Just 9 days until the BUCKEYES get DOORMATED by Oregon and again prove to the Nation that they are again the most over-ranked college football team of all time. By the way the Buckeyes did not beat the CANES, the officials did. The only reason the BUCKEYES play in so many BCS Bowl games is that they are the CHAMPIONS of a very weak conference, the "WEAK 11" and they get an automatic BCS bid. It is fun though for us GATOR, SEC fan and the rest of the nation to laugh at the ineptitude of OSU and the "WEAK 11", when they play in BCS Bowl Games.
GO GATORS!!! GO SEC!!!
john

Willoughby, OH

#30 Dec 23, 2009
Everyone else knows this but I will explain it for Jstew just so we have it on record. The Florida team that beat the Buckeyes is not the Florida team that the Bearkittens will be playing this year, so keeping it within 26 is really irrelevant. Next, the Florida team that beat the Buckeyes is far superior to this year's Florida team both defensively and offensively. It's a real shame tOSU didn't play the Bearkittens so you would understand how REAL football is played. Saying "you will be happy if your team keeps it within 26 points of Florida" is just sad. That type of thinking comes from your programs long history of being irrevelant. Maybe you should take this time to enjoy the Bearkittens success instead of wasting it being jealous of the Buckeyes. You won't have many successful years like this one, so sit back and enjoy it.
gbmachine

Delaware, OH

#31 Dec 23, 2009
Didn't read, but I think the advertisement has gone a bit over the top Dispatch. The OSU Men's BBall article was 1/5th of the left hand of the screen with HUGE ads to the next.

Can I get just a plain .txt file to read w/o all the distractions?
gbmachine

Delaware, OH

#32 Dec 23, 2009
getoutofcbus wrote:
<quoted text>
God you people really are delusional, Now I know why the world laughs at us here in Cowlumbus!!!!! Trust me pal, it's really not all that!!!
I'd rather have cows than riots.
Bill

Columbus, OH

#33 Dec 23, 2009
JStewBearcat05 wrote:
<quoted text>
What a loser!! Enjoy your little moral victory, if you even get that lucky. By the way, enjoy the next ten years of 6-6. Looking forward to the beatdowns the Buckeyes put on UC down the road.
Bill

Columbus, OH

#34 Dec 23, 2009
JStewBearcat05 wrote:
<quoted text>
Must be fun living in Fantasyland. So if Ohio State beats Oregon and Florida beats UC by only 25 you will be jumping for joy, screaming "We're #1" and Ohio State will still be the laughing stock of college football? Now I'm seeing why Brian Kelly really left for Notre Dame.

Gator Gary, please lay a thumping on JStew. Although you're an equally annoying little twit at least your team actually has a history of winning.

GG - Enjoy your grueling "road game" across the street in LSU's "BCS home field advantage". Sure wish the Buckeyes could play 4 BCS games in Cleveland.

I hope both of you spend an equal amount of time on the Oklahoma boards seeing how they are more pathetic than the Buckeyes could ever be. By the way, ten years from now, when I'm wearing an updated National Championship shirt I hope your faded "2008 Nat Champ" and "2009 Big Least Champs" shirts are not too tattered to wear in public, as those will be your last fond memories.
portlandduck

Portland, OR

#35 Dec 23, 2009
Another beat-down on the way for the cement-ankled little 11. Will OSU have any eligible players left for the game? OSU will look like a deer in the headlights as the Ducks speed past them again for another score. Only way OSU competes if the sweater-vest takes the wraps off of Pryor and opens it up.....and is that going to happen based on his history?
CA buckeye

Santa Rosa, CA

#36 Dec 23, 2009
How do you ever have OK in a top five. They blow big games more than OSU.
Brobama 08 wrote:
1-USC
2-Florida
3-Texas
4-LSU
5-Oklahoma
My opinion is based on strength of schedule,performance against ranked opponents and big game wins.
OSU would be in my top 5 for the first half of the decade but not the second half.The only big win the Bucks have had since the championship is the Michigan game in 2006.
big D

Sunnyvale, CA

#37 Dec 23, 2009
Gator Gary wrote:
Just 9 days until the BUCKEYES get DOORMATED by Oregon and again prove to the Nation that they are again the most over-ranked college football team of all time. By the way the Buckeyes did not beat the CANES, the officials did. The only reason the BUCKEYES play in so many BCS Bowl games is that they are the CHAMPIONS of a very weak conference, the "WEAK 11" and they get an automatic BCS bid. It is fun though for us GATOR, SEC fan and the rest of the nation to laugh at the ineptitude of OSU and the "WEAK 11", when they play in BCS Bowl Games.
GO GATORS!!! GO SEC!!!
The only thing the refs did wrong was fail to call defensive holding against Miami (Gamble on an out pattern), then ruling a completion incomplete (before the days of replay) which forced an OSU punt, allowing Miami to send it to overtime.

I understand your bitterness, however, since you are a bandwagon Gator fan who used to be a bandwagon Canes fan.
CA buckeye

Santa Rosa, CA

#38 Dec 23, 2009
You know, I was worred a bit about Oregon's offense, but after watching an Oregon State team that gave Oregon fits get mauled by BYU I'm not nearly as concerned. Oregon's offense played against a PAC 10 that was down defensively this year and as BYU showed, a little defense goes a long way against these supposed high octane offenses. How did Oregon State's offense do against the Ducks? Oh yeah, nearly 400 yards and 33 points. I'm suddenly feeling much better.
portlandduck wrote:
Another beat-down on the way for the cement-ankled little 11. Will OSU have any eligible players left for the game? OSU will look like a deer in the headlights as the Ducks speed past them again for another score. Only way OSU competes if the sweater-vest takes the wraps off of Pryor and opens it up.....and is that going to happen based on his history?
Elwood

Columbus, OH

#39 Dec 23, 2009
How does Texas have four appearances and a record of 3 - 0?
GETFOOTOUTOFMOUT H

United States

#40 Dec 23, 2009
Gator Gary wrote:
GO GATORS!!! GO SEC!!!
Again, the win against Miami shouldn't have even went to overtime we should have won in regulation if not for the refs. So your argument that the refs gave the game away is stupid. Also because it has been reviewed multiple times and the call was a good call. So the pass int. call was good, and the calls that took it into overtime were bad, so no matter what OSU deserved the win. UF will be shown that after you lose Tebow you are done in the SEC. Can't wait.

Jstew....I wear my Buckeye gear proudly in Gator country and noone has ever had the balls to say anything. Wear UC gear and they would ask, "Who is that team". That is until after this year when they beat down UC in the Sugar bowl. At least our loss was in a NC game, a game in which UC will never get to experience. While we come back next year with a lot of returning starters in the hunt for a NC, you will be struggling against teams like Rutgers and Louisville with your MAC coach.
GETFOOTOUTOFMOUT H

United States

#41 Dec 23, 2009
CA buckeye wrote:
You know, I was worred a bit about Oregon's offense, but after watching an Oregon State team that gave Oregon fits get mauled by BYU I'm not nearly as concerned. Oregon's offense played against a PAC 10 that was down defensively this year and as BYU showed, a little defense goes a long way against these supposed high octane offenses. How did Oregon State's offense do against the Ducks? Oh yeah, nearly 400 yards and 33 points. I'm suddenly feeling much better.
<quoted text>
I agree completely...Oregon St. looked pathetic last night once they played a team with a halfway decent defense. The brother WR/RB tandem was shut down, something which UO was completely unable to do. This should be a good Rose Bowl game and I think our Bucks just might pull it out!
Just saying

Columbus, OH

#42 Dec 23, 2009
Gator Gary wrote:
GO GATORS!!! GO SEC!!!
Gator Gary, one last time I will attempt to spare you from further self-embarrassment by suggesting you spell your smack correctly.“Doormated” is not a word, even if you add the extra “t” as I believe you intend because a) adding a suffix to a noun does not automatically make it a verb (for example, I could suggest that your posts are “boneheading” this comment board, but while this might be accurate it would not be correct) and b) because “doormated” seems to suggest lascivious interaction between a human and a door. If this is actually what you mean instead of “doormatted”(again, not actually a word) then I suggest you seek counseling.

On the plus side, I commend you for being amusing as well as actually expressing some positive sentiments in your comments about your team and your conference (misguided as they may sometimes be). This is in stark contrast to our JStew visitor, who – unless I missed it somewhere – has brought nothing but stark resentment and even hatred through belittling comments directed at the OSU fans he finds so arrogant. JStew, if you read this I can only hope you find joy in something this holiday season that does not involve misfortune or negativity aimed at someone else. Perhaps remember the excellent game your team gave OSU in 2002, something I’ve never seen you mention.

Frankly, I’m frustrated by the lack of respect along with the sheer amount of negativity posted by several (not all) of those commenting these days. When the Rose Bowl match-up became official, I looked forward to some spirited but ultimately friendly interaction between OSU and Oregon fans. Personally, I respect the Oregon program and the team's accomplishments in recent years, particularly on offense. Sadly the well thought-out analysis and speculation about the game itself posted by some seems to have been outweighed by arrogance and smack - from both sides, mind you - perhaps fueled by the anonymity provided by these comment boards. One of my favorite things about football season is the personal interaction we Buckeye fans share with visiting fans in the tailgate lots over legal beverages, wings, whatever. I’m guessing it’s much the same in Oregon, but ultimately there will be some who believe the tiny percentage of fans who post degrading content on these boards represent all fans from either school…even if we know intellectually that’s not the case.

After I hit “post comment” today I choose not to participate further on these boards, which have long since passed the boundaries of good-natured ribbing. Unfortunately I will miss the nuggets of sanity posted by some of you, but I can’t allow myself to be brought down any further by negativity. For the record, I predict Oregon will gain yards on our defense (which often aligns itself to not give up the big play) and will score 21-27 points. If OSU’s offense can keep the time of possession battle close with some ball control, I believe OSU prevails 34-24. If, on the other hand, our offense runs a lot of 3 and outs, our defense will wear out and the result could well be the blowout some Ducks fans predict.

Merry Christmas, all - OSU and Oregon fans alike. Please remember this is just a game played by college kids. This is supposed to be fun.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

James Laurinaitis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Will The Rams Secondary Doom the Defense? (Jun '14) Jun '14 Rambotron 1
News 2013 NFL Preview: St. Louis Rams (Jul '13) Jul '13 Cam cisneros 1
News Rams announce Rob Ryan won't be defensive coord... (Jan '13) Jan '13 brent0025 1
News Pro Bowl has No St. Louis Rams Playersa This Se... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Tiffani 1
News Feldman: What would Rams defense look like unde... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Juanito 2
News NFL Rams at home in London after sharing Arsena... (Oct '12) Oct '12 John Paz 1
News NFL Notebook: Suspension extended for Broncos' ... (Oct '12) Oct '12 rdshu 1
More from around the web