Steelers LB Harrison penalized for ro...

Steelers LB Harrison penalized for roughing QB

There are 40 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Nov 28, 2010, titled Steelers LB Harrison penalized for roughing QB. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Pittsburgh Steelers hard-hitting linebacker James Harrison has incurred a costly roughing-the-passer penalty against Buffalo's Ryan Fitzpatrick on Sunday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
ffrank

Wyoming, PA

#1 Nov 28, 2010
NFL will be looking at a suspension for this guy. He was warned now
this should lead to a suspension. Goodell made that a rule so this will
be the last straw.
Yep

United States

#2 Nov 28, 2010
agreed. suspend him for being ignorant.
Yep

United States

#3 Nov 28, 2010
how many thousands of dollars will this guy be out before the league sits him down?
Yep

Tacoma, WA

#4 Nov 28, 2010
dont lead with the crown, simple as that

Since: Dec 08

Latrobe, PA

#5 Nov 28, 2010
Yep wrote:
dont lead with the crown, simple as that
It was a clean hit. There was nothing wrong with it, the helmets didn't hit.
Nope

Chandler, AZ

#6 Nov 28, 2010
To all you "Two-Hand-Touch" fans, recognize great text-book tackling by Harrison. When will the NFL fine referees for getting it wrong, as in this case and last week against the Raiders. Pent up frustrations by NFL players are now manifesting as REAL unnecessary roughness outside the whistles, like Seymour and Texans vs. Titans, finnegan vs. A. Johnson.
Give you the Bird

El Paso, TX

#7 Nov 28, 2010
The league is going to apology to the steelers and Harrison. It was a God Awful call!! It was clean hard hit.
Robbie

Edenton, NC

#8 Nov 29, 2010
The problem I have is that he has said he does not plan to change his style of hitting. Now the hit on Sunday may have been a clean shot but he has deserved on a number of cases, the fines incurred for illegal hits. When he states he's going to continue leading with his helmet, disregarding previous warnings then next time it happens sit his azz for 3 games and see if that catches his attention.......

Latrobe, PA

#9 Nov 29, 2010
Robbie wrote:
The problem I have is that he has said he does not plan to change his style of hitting. Now the hit on Sunday may have been a clean shot but he has deserved on a number of cases, the fines incurred for illegal hits. When he states he's going to continue leading with his helmet, disregarding previous warnings then next time it happens sit his azz for 3 games and see if that catches his attention.......
I think there is a severe misinterpretation from what the league wants and what the officials are calling, along with what the players are being told to do. The league sent each team video of legal versus illegal hits, and one of the was of Bart Scott tackling Kerry Collins a year or so ago, it is identical to how Harrison tackled Fitzpatrick.

In addition, Harrison was not leading with the crown of his helmet as the ref identified. His head was up, although he was coming in on an angle, and used his shoulder into Fitzpatrick's chest area. That technique is exactly what is taught when you are training and using 5-Man and 7-Man sleds. You are hitting the opponent in the chest area, in addition you are protecting yourself by keeping your head upwards so that your neck doesn't buckle underneath you.

Last week Harrison was cited by the ref for 'applying his body weight during a tackle,' so this time he adjust and does not land on Fitzpatrick and is cited for 'leading with the crown of his helmet.'

A week before against the Patriots, Casey Hampton was cited by the refs for hitting Brady below the knee's (although every replay show Hampton was losing his balance and actually still managed to hit him ABOVE the knees.

With that, where again is a player suppossed to tackle a quarterback? Its gone too far, at this point let's just make the quarterback off limits.

What I really don't understand is why Quarterbacks like Joe Flacco, Ben Roethlisberger, Colt McCoy and David Garrard can be thrown around like rag dolls all game long with no calls, but similar hits on other QB's are flagged and in most cases draw fines.
triumpth

United States

#10 Nov 29, 2010
The NFL is being "chickified" by a bunch of hypocrites.
Concusions are and always have been a result of the game. Troy Aikman, Bradshaw and Y.A. Tittle all went through it. If you don't want the danger then take up synchronized swimming or soccer, but leave this game alone.
There are helmet to helmit hits all the time and most, are iniciated by running backs. "Leading with the crown" is the surest way to keep your eye on the ball carrier and it has always been taught by coaches as the way to tackle. Anyone who disagrees has never played the game. Taking this action away from the defender is why you're seeing all the sissy pisspoor arm tackling going on.
They threaten Harrison with suspension for playing ol' school football, but don't suspend the two idiots from the Titans and Texans who decided to play Hockey during their game.
They threaten Harrison for his hits, but the league doesn't mind making big bucks selling their "NFL GREATEST HITS" DVD.
Hypocrites!!....
Go Steeeelers!!!

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#11 Nov 30, 2010
Ok question guys!(The ones with a working brain only please)

You are not supposed to lead with the helmet…okay got that!

Can’t hit the other guy in the helmet…cool, got that!

How are they supposed to hit?

I thought arms and shoulders….BUT if you don’t bend down how are you suppose to reach anything except the shoulders, neck and helmet, but isn’t that illegal too?

I was always told to bend and hit top of shoulder to the mid-torso of the other player…..but wait isn’t THAT leading with the helmet????

HOW ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO HIT?

Wait!!! I know throw your hand up and push…..that’s not right either, if you can’t bend (because of leading with helmet)…… but if you don’t, you are pushing into the face mask, neck, or helmet (another illegal hit)!

I have seen so many hits that were identical to Harrison’s hit without penalty or fine. Why is Harrison getting penalized?

The hit Hines Ward suffered was pretty darn close to the hit suffered by Massaquoi, why was Harrison fined 75,000 and penalized during the game, but the guy that hit Ward in the helmet received nothing?

OH! I GET IT!!!!!!! IF YOU’RE HARRISON YOU CAN’T HIT AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, I have gone over Harrison’s hit and he hit him with his shoulder…textbook!
Bob Roberts

Butler, PA

#12 Nov 30, 2010
littleone6714 wrote:
Ok question guys!(The ones with a working brain only please)
You are not supposed to lead with the helmet…okay got that!
Can’t hit the other guy in the helmet…cool, got that!
How are they supposed to hit?
I thought arms and shoulders….BUT if you don’t bend down how are you suppose to reach anything except the shoulders, neck and helmet, but isn’t that illegal too?
I was always told to bend and hit top of shoulder to the mid-torso of the other player…..but wait isn’t THAT leading with the helmet????
HOW ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO HIT?
Wait!!! I know throw your hand up and push…..that’s not right either, if you can’t bend (because of leading with helmet)…… but if you don’t, you are pushing into the face mask, neck, or helmet (another illegal hit)!
I have seen so many hits that were identical to Harrison’s hit without penalty or fine. Why is Harrison getting penalized?
The hit Hines Ward suffered was pretty darn close to the hit suffered by Massaquoi, why was Harrison fined 75,000 and penalized during the game, but the guy that hit Ward in the helmet received nothing?
OH! I GET IT!!!!!!! IF YOU’RE HARRISON YOU CAN’T HIT AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!
BTW, I have gone over Harrison’s hit and he hit him with his shoulder…textbook!
harrison is marked man and imo the steelers are a marked team. the league doesn't like the way they jack people up. this is all a bunch of BS.

Location hidden

#13 Nov 30, 2010
Bob Roberts wrote:
<quoted text>
harrison is marked man and imo the steelers are a marked team. the league doesn't like the way they jack people up. this is all a bunch of BS.
Am I right or wrong on the rules? Put that away does it make sense?
Ben Rapistburger

El Paso, TX

#14 Nov 30, 2010
Thugs and rapists...stay classy Steelers!

Location hidden

#15 Nov 30, 2010
Ben Rapistburger wrote:
Thugs and rapists...stay classy Steelers!
Would you prefer throwing punches? Classy that! NOT! That’s thugs!

Wanna talk rapist? If you are talking about Ben then I hate to tell you, you can’t rape the willing!

Now, if you’re talking about bad taste…YEAH Ben is guilty as hell, but the boy cleaned up his act for now…let it go. You’re kicking a dead horse!
Bob Roberts

Butler, PA

#16 Nov 30, 2010
littleone6714 wrote:
<quoted text>
Am I right or wrong on the rules? Put that away does it make sense?
I don't know what the league wants and I don't think the player do either. how can you tackle someone without hitting them with your helmet? that's the million dollar question. it doesn't make a lick of sense to me. i expect to be cussing at the refs this sunday night that's for sure.

The Geno

“"What I tell ya?"”

Since: Mar 10

Geno the Troll Buster

#17 Nov 30, 2010
Nope wrote:
To all you "Two-Hand-Touch" fans, recognize great text-book tackling by Harrison. When will the NFL fine referees for getting it wrong, as in this case and last week against the Raiders. Pent up frustrations by NFL players are now manifesting as REAL unnecessary roughness outside the whistles, like Seymour and Texans vs. Titans, finnegan vs. A. Johnson.
the league is fining guys for playing good football with good technique as they were taught since day one BUT fail to suspend that Houston Texan WR for throwing clearly not one but 2-3 punches???!! Man I thought that was grounds for a suspenion REGARDLESS of who started it??

This league is upside down right now. A catch isn't a catch but wait, later in the year it is......too many strange things to even mention here
Ben Rapistburger

El Paso, TX

#18 Nov 30, 2010
littleone6714 wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you prefer throwing punches? Classy that! NOT! That’s thugs!
Wanna talk rapist? If you are talking about Ben then I hate to tell you, you can’t rape the willing!
Now, if you’re talking about bad taste…YEAH Ben is guilty as hell, but the boy cleaned up his act for now…let it go. You’re kicking a dead horse!
Harrison, Polamalu, and Ward are thugs. Rosenberger is a rapist. A drunk coed is NOT willing. Just cause the Steelers are winning doesn't make his act "cleaned up". Wonder what your feelings of him, and the team as a whole, would be if the Steelers were losing. Classless organization.

Latrobe, PA

#19 Nov 30, 2010
Ben Rapistburger wrote:
<quoted text>
Harrison, Polamalu, and Ward are thugs. Rosenberger is a rapist. A drunk coed is NOT willing. Just cause the Steelers are winning doesn't make his act "cleaned up". Wonder what your feelings of him, and the team as a whole, would be if the Steelers were losing. Classless organization.
How many 'victims' do you know that brag on facebook about the alleged incident? How many 'victims' do you know, that their sorority sister confirms the trail events of the alleged attacker?

Polamalu and Ward have done what to quantify them as thugs? Harrison? What?

Fix your team and stop worry about ours.
Ben Rapistburger

El Paso, TX

#20 Nov 30, 2010
Biff 33 wrote:
<quoted text>Polamalu and Ward have done what to quantify them as thugs? Harrison? What?
Dirty players! Open your eyes for a change!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

James Harrison Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Steelers Mock Draft: Predicting All 7 Rounds (Mar '13) Mar '13 Hiroshi 4
News Ravens, Steelers interested in Elvis Dumervil, ... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Rodney 1
News AFC North: James Harrison not Ready to Leave Di... (Mar '13) Mar '13 bigd 1
News Why Has Pittsburgh Steelers Guard Willie Colon ... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Mike 1
News Why I'm rooting for the Steelers to win in Week... (Dec '12) Feb '13 Black Is back 19
News 7 Questions the Pittsburgh Steelers Must Answer... (Jan '13) Feb '13 steelersfan1 3
News Pittsburgh Steelers Mock Draft: Full 7-Round Pr... (Dec '12) Jan '13 wondering 2
More from around the web