Holmes' TD with :35 left makes Steelers champs

Full story: Newsday 61
The Iron City has its six pack of Lombardis. In front of a crowd of mostly Steelers fans - just about all of them waving black and gold Terrible Towels, turning Raymond James Stadium into a Florida version of ... Full Story
Busey

Melville, NY

#22 Feb 2, 2009
Will wrote:
Watching the same game and yeah Woodley and Warner caused the ball to go five yards. It was not caused by Warner alone which negates the rule. Anyway there was 5 seconds left, if you think they would have scored, means nothing now. <quoted text>
No, I'm not saying they would have scored. It would have been a million to one...

But they deserved the chance.
Rex J Steelman

Slippery Rock, PA

#23 Feb 2, 2009
Busey wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I'm not saying they would have scored. It would have been a million to one...
I thought the fumble at the end was much more of an incomplete pass than the first one. The first one looked like an arm spasm from getting hit in the ribs, so maybe the second was a "make-up" non-call.

Since: Dec 08

Latrobe, PA

#24 Feb 2, 2009
Busey wrote:
<quoted text>
What? So if you fumble, you should get the ball back, to what, make it more interesting?

Latrobe, PA

#25 Feb 2, 2009
GHT wrote:
<quoted text>you're right, it happened very fast. There was 2:03 left, whihc means it wasn't an automatic review, it had to be a red flag coaches challenge. I swear I heard a commentator say, "but there are no reviews left". Meaning Whisenhunt had no red flags left after using them. Anyone? It was NOT reviewed by upstairs, that didn't happen. With that said, it looked like a fumble anyway
You must have missed something...while I can't recall the exact time, it was about :18 seconds left. The booth signaled to the crew on the field that the play is in review and then signaled back that the call should stand. On the radio broadcast, you could clearly hear the official say the play is under review and then about 15 seconds later say that the call stands. Ballgame.

It was infact a fumble, the only replay they needed was the one shown. Woodley his Warner and his elbow from behind and it goes foward. He was not in a forward throwing motion and his hand was clearly not at a point where he'd be releasing for a pass.

Latrobe, PA

#26 Feb 2, 2009
should say "Woodley hits Warner..."
Will

Forest Hills, NY

#27 Feb 2, 2009
They had the chance and Warner couldn't avoid the rush because no one was open. Steelers deserved th win and got it!
Busey wrote:
<quoted text>
Will

Forest Hills, NY

#28 Feb 2, 2009
That's exactly what I saw.. I never cared for the silly tuck rule that handed the Pats the playoff game against Oakland in 2001.
Biff 33 wrote:
<quoted text>You must have missed something...while I can't recall the exact time, it was about :18 seconds left. The booth signaled to the crew on the field that the play is in review and then signaled back that the call should stand. On the radio broadcast, you could clearly hear the official say the play is under review and then about 15 seconds later say that the call stands. Ballgame.
It was infact a fumble, the only replay they needed was the one shown. Woodley his Warner and his elbow from behind and it goes foward. He was not in a forward throwing motion and his hand was clearly not at a point where he'd be releasing for a pass.
Busey

Melville, NY

#29 Feb 2, 2009
Biff 33 wrote:
<quoted text>What? So if you fumble, you should get the ball back, to what, make it more interesting?
huh?

No, I'm saying he didn't fumble.

Every news radio station and media outlet also agrees that it was an incomplete pass.

the refs blew it... again
Busey

Melville, NY

#30 Feb 2, 2009
Will wrote:
They had the chance and Warner couldn't avoid the rush because no one was open. Steelers deserved th win and got it! <quoted text>
I'm not knocking the Steelers, but the refs blew that call...

Fact.
Busey

Melville, NY

#31 Feb 2, 2009
Biff 33 wrote:
<quoted text>You must have missed something...while I can't recall the exact time, it was about :18 seconds left. The booth signaled to the crew on the field that the play is in review and then signaled back that the call should stand. On the radio broadcast, you could clearly hear the official say the play is under review and then about 15 seconds later say that the call stands. Ballgame.
its just funny how every review during the course of a 16 game regular season takes anywhere from 2-4 minutes to look at....

But this play, the last play of the Super Bowl..

takes 15 seconds... interesting...

“I own a mansion & a yacht”

Since: Jul 08

Saint Paul, MN

#32 Feb 2, 2009
STEELERS CHEAT wrote:
Why wasn't there a replay of Warner's incomplete pass incorrectly ruled a fumble by the refs? All replays in the last 2 minutes are automatically reviewed by the replay official?
When the play was overturned as it should have been, ARIZ would have been given the ball on the 35 yd line due to penalty called on dopey, out of control PITT player.
Steelers will repeat as long as they keep paying off the refs.
Yeah, I'm a Giants fan so didn't care too much and I don't gameble, but man the refs really handed that SB to the Steelers. Unbelievable calls all against the Cards. Maybe the league wanted the Steelers and their coach to win?
Rex J Steelman

Slippery Rock, PA

#34 Feb 3, 2009
Jugdish wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I'm a Giants fan so didn't care too much and I don't gameble, but man the refs really handed that SB to the Steelers. Unbelievable calls all against the Cards. Maybe the league wanted the Steelers and their coach to win?
All this tells us is that the Giants have whining, stupid conspiracy-theorists in their fan-base, just like the Cards. Interesting.
LZ-Steel

Monroe, LA

#35 Feb 4, 2009
Jugdish wrote:
<quoted text>
Unbelievable calls all against the Cards. Maybe the league wanted the Steelers and their coach to win?
Huh? Lets not forget the Arizona DB that ran out of bounds, came back in, and tackled Harrison at the end zone when he made his 100 yd pick six? No flag. Or Woodley and Harrison being held all night, and during the rest of the playoffs, and the whole regular season...but no holding calls. Or Big Ben's rushing TD being overturned with NO VISUAL PROOF.

The officiating was bad, but downplaying a fans' dedication in watching their favorite team all season long, then finally seeing them beat opponents to get to the SB, then have a spotty whine-ass like you crying about a game that you obviously weren't watching closely...is less than fair.

Bottom line: The Steelers took advantage of the opportunities they had. The Cardinals could not. The AZ defense didn't stop the Pitt offense on the last play. The whole game came down to that one drive. If Arizona could have stopped Pitt, Arizona won. As it were, Ben had a huge drive...capped off with an awesome throw and catch to Holmes. Two feet down. Had possession. TD. Game over. Steelers win sixth.

LZ

Latrobe, PA

#36 Feb 4, 2009
Busey wrote:
<quoted text>
its just funny how every review during the course of a 16 game regular season takes anywhere from 2-4 minutes to look at....
But this play, the last play of the Super Bowl..
takes 15 seconds... interesting...
You must have selective memory, during that play there was a penalty in which the refs were busy spotting the ball (excessive celebration on Woodley, helmet removed), during which time the UPSTAIRS official looked at the play and signaled down to the head official on the field and stated it didn't garner a 'booth review.' Ball spotted and play resumes. Time elapsed 1 minute 28 seconds.

So either you have selective memory or you need a new watch. I'll leave that determination up to you.

Latrobe, PA

#37 Feb 4, 2009
Busey wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not knocking the Steelers, but the refs blew that call...
Fact.
Not a fact, that would be fiction. The call was correct, not matter which replay you look at, its a fumble.

Latrobe, PA

#38 Feb 4, 2009
Busey wrote:
<quoted text>
huh?
No, I'm saying he didn't fumble.
Every news radio station and media outlet also agrees that it was an incomplete pass.
the refs blew it... again
What news radio station and media outlet are you listening to or watching. I would adjust your dial. There is no other way to slice it, it was a fumble.

Latrobe, PA

#39 Feb 4, 2009
Will wrote:
That's exactly what I saw.. I never cared for the silly tuck rule that handed the Pats the playoff game against Oakland in 2001. <quoted text>
I would agree with that, I think the tuck rule is a bit ridiculous, how many more ways can we protect a quarterback and make it more difficult for a defense to acquire possession? I think they need to revert back to 'its either a pass or a fumble, nothing else.'
Swamprat

AOL

#40 Feb 4, 2009
Y I hate the media wrote:
First off all, the media tells us that the Steelers have won 6 Super Bowl titles, making them the most succesfull franchise in NFL history. Never mind that the NFL existed many years before the Super Bowl, so therefore they compeletly forget about the Packers, Bears, and Giants Championships from 1926 until 1966. I heard one clown say, "well there wasn't a Super Bowl then so you can't really compare those championships."

Tell that to a Yankee fan that all of those championships don't count because they were played before the advent of division play, interleague play, the DH, etc. They would have a fit.
Ot the advent of letting black guys play!!

“TOO STRONG TO BE BROKEN”

Since: Nov 08

PITTSBURGH

#41 Feb 4, 2009
Here let me do all you haters a favor. Since hatin is such hard work I'll take this shift. This is how you cry..........

Big Ben sucks I hope he smashes his head into a bigger windsheild

http://www.yo utube .com/watch?v=qS7nq wGt4-I&feature =related

Y'all paid the refs y'all cheated

Fck STEELER NATION

I hate them mofos

“TOO STRONG TO BE BROKEN”

Since: Nov 08

PITTSBURGH

#42 Feb 4, 2009

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

James Harrison Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Steelers Mock Draft: Predicting All 7 Rounds (Mar '13) Mar '13 Hiroshi 4
Ravens, Steelers interested in Elvis Dumervil, ... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Rodney 1
AFC North: James Harrison not Ready to Leave Di... (Mar '13) Mar '13 bigd 1
Why Has Pittsburgh Steelers Guard Willie Colon ... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Mike 1
Why I'm rooting for the Steelers to win in Week... (Dec '12) Feb '13 Black Is back 19
7 Questions the Pittsburgh Steelers Must Answer... (Jan '13) Feb '13 steelersfan1 3
Pittsburgh Steelers Mock Draft: Full 7-Round Pr... (Dec '12) Jan '13 wondering 2

James Harrison People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE