Steelers' Harrison fined 3rd time for...

Steelers' Harrison fined 3rd time for hard hit

There are 10 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Oct 31, 2010, titled Steelers' Harrison fined 3rd time for hard hit. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Steelers linebacker James Harrison's hard hits on the field keep getting matched by the NFL's hits to his paycheck.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Vikes fan in WI

Stevens Point, WI

#1 Nov 6, 2010
He has no right to complain, he chose to continue his dirty hits, he needs to man-up and accept the consequences. If he choses to retire from a million dollar a year job because he has to face the consequenses of his behavior, big deal. Adios to the big baby.
Robbie

Edenton, NC

#2 Nov 6, 2010
The hits to millionares pocketbooks obviously isn't working. How many times do you have to be fined before you start sitting out games---that will not only sting the player but the team as a whole. Then lets see if Tomlin cares what they think or not.................

Since: Feb 08

Harrisburg, PA

#3 Nov 6, 2010
Vikes fan in WI wrote:
He has no right to complain, he chose to continue his dirty hits, he needs to man-up and accept the consequences. If he choses to retire from a million dollar a year job because he has to face the consequenses of his behavior, big deal. Adios to the big baby.
All sounds real good except there is a few big problems:

All players are not policed the same-
All hits of the same nature are not given equal punishment-
Some illegal hits go completely unpunished-
There is almost no set standard on the amounts players are fined-
There is currently no known qualification as to what will definitely cause a player to be disqualified from playing for any set amount of time or the amount of time it will be. Yet we are now 9 weeks into the season and only 2 weeks into the new punishment system.

Fining players and suspending is not like throwing a penalty flag. Flags that are missed or are incorrectly thrown (which there are many), can for the most part, be overcome during a game. Penalties though, on the field are a must.
Giving out substantial fines and suspenions, if not done to perfection,(as in all things that should be fined- get fined, all players derserving of suspension get suspended, and no player is incorrectly fined or suspended), are game altering actions. Taking a player off the field or fining a player so much he has to play different, while not doing the same to all, is an unfair advantage to the player and team that benefits from the (missed or incorrect) call.
Amounts have been handed out thus far with very little rhyme or reason. One players progression goes 5,0000 then 75,000, then 20, 000. Another goes 10,000 then 20,000. Another 5,000, then 7,500. Looking at the various hits, some of the lesser hits cost more than the more vicious hits, and on and on.

Harrisburg, PA

#4 Nov 6, 2010
Robbie wrote:
The hits to millionares pocketbooks obviously isn't working. How many times do you have to be fined before you start sitting out games---that will not only sting the player but the team as a whole. Then lets see if Tomlin cares what they think or not..........
Somehow, I feel that if you ever get to experience the joy of seeing one of the players you root for, suspended for a hit, then watch the same hit on another team go unpunished, here's betting your not gonna be to chippy. Especially if it's a rival team within the division, and you watch the losses pile up against your team- while the other team benefits from not having their player suspended.
Robbie

Edenton, NC

#5 Nov 7, 2010
Jopa-n wrote:
<quoted text>Somehow, I feel that if you ever get to experience the joy of seeing one of the players you root for, suspended for a hit, then watch the same hit on another team go unpunished, here's betting your not gonna be to chippy. Especially if it's a rival team within the division, and you watch the losses pile up against your team- while the other team benefits from not having their player suspended.
I know the Steelers are the only ones who ever get that call against them, poor babies. He can always quit and get a real job at McDonalds handing out fries but he'd proably mug one of the customers.....

Harrisburg, PA

#6 Nov 7, 2010
Robbie wrote:
<quoted text>I know the Steelers are the only ones who ever get that call against them, poor babies. He can always quit and get a real job at McDonalds handing out fries but he'd proably mug one of the customers.....
Did you see the play where Collie got hurt? Flag was thrown after the ref saw Collie was hurt (which is what the ref had to do to avoid punishment from the league). There was no foul, as the CBS halftime crew stated. Yet the penalty was key in getting 7 points for the Colts as you could see all the Eagle players backed off on the next throw down the middle. Colts scored in two plays after the flag was thrown. This is exactly the problem with implementing these rules and going ahead blind week to week.
manosteel

Muscle Shoals, AL

#7 Nov 7, 2010
The thing I have a problem with is many of these hits for which players are fined do not even draw a flag. Maybe the officials should be fined when they don't flag a "dirty" hit.

Harrisburg, PA

#8 Nov 7, 2010
manosteel wrote:
The thing I have a problem with is many of these hits for which players are fined do not even draw a flag. Maybe the officials should be fined when they don't flag a "dirty" hit.
At first I thought that would be O.K. but then think about it:
Your the ref. You just have been informed to be more proactive in throwing flags on what 'could' be flagrant hits. If you miss any, as deemed by the league, you will be punished by fine or suspension. One thing I know- that ain't happening to me.
You just made me quick draw McGraw. If I see a guy go down hurt, I'm throwing the cloth. If I see a guy get close to the line, I'm not taking any chances- the fabric is flying high.
In a game of one play or another deciding so many, how is my new found need to heave the hanky not going to affect the outcome of the game?
Robbie

Edenton, NC

#9 Nov 8, 2010
Jopa-n wrote:
<quoted text>Did you see the play where Collie got hurt? Flag was thrown after the ref saw Collie was hurt (which is what the ref had to do to avoid punishment from the league). There was no foul, as the CBS halftime crew stated. Yet the penalty was key in getting 7 points for the Colts as you could see all the Eagle players backed off on the next throw down the middle. Colts scored in two plays after the flag was thrown. This is exactly the problem with implementing these rules and going ahead blind week to week.
Did you happen to watch the NFC championship game last season??? How would you like to go through an entire game with cheapshots being thrown and the refs standing with their heads up their backside while it costs your team a trip to the SB. Then you have dips#!t Sean Peyton telling the press that the Saints will continue to take the shots and pay the fines if it means winning the game. Suspensions not fines..........

Harrisburg, PA

#10 Nov 8, 2010
Robbie wrote:
<quoted text>Did you happen to watch the NFC championship game last season??? How would you like to go through an entire game with cheapshots being thrown and the refs standing with their heads up their backside while it costs your team a trip to the SB. Then you have dips#!t Sean Peyton telling the press that the Saints will continue to take the shots and pay the fines if it means winning the game. Suspensions not fines..........
I will say you have a point on the NFC Championship game last year. I never thought the refs would let the Saints players tee off on a 40 year old future Hall of Famer.
Then, to say if your shadow touches the QB the next year, is a little too far the other way. Let the refs make more calls based on the play in it's totallity. Where was the player hit + when + how hard + the responsability of the offensive player = if it's fair or foul.
Most people can get a pretty clear idea by keeping everything in perspective to the play, not just the result. Maybe they won't always get it right, but let it be their call on the field. If they feel a player deserves to be ejected, then do so. Let it end there though. Player goes out then and there but returns for next game. Don't send tapes to NY offices and have people stare at the play for two days then throw a dart at a board on how many days it should be. Keep it on the field.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

James Harrison Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Steelers Mock Draft: Predicting All 7 Rounds (Mar '13) Mar '13 Hiroshi 4
News Ravens, Steelers interested in Elvis Dumervil, ... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Rodney 1
News AFC North: James Harrison not Ready to Leave Di... (Mar '13) Mar '13 bigd 1
News Why Has Pittsburgh Steelers Guard Willie Colon ... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Mike 1
News Why I'm rooting for the Steelers to win in Week... (Dec '12) Feb '13 Black Is back 19
News 7 Questions the Pittsburgh Steelers Must Answer... (Jan '13) Feb '13 steelersfan1 3
News Pittsburgh Steelers Mock Draft: Full 7-Round Pr... (Dec '12) Jan '13 wondering 2
More from around the web