Vikings' Percy Harvin: NFL's crackdown on hits to the head is 'ridiculous'

Full story: TwinCities.com

Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Percy Harvin called the NFL's crackdown on helmet-to-helmet tackles "ridiculous" even though it could protect him and other offensive players.
Comments
1 - 11 of 11 Comments Last updated Oct 22, 2010
Read My Title

United States

#1 Oct 21, 2010
"I don't think the rule will work," Harvin said today. "There are guys playing full speed. Some of those hits are just good tackles that are accidental. I don't think it's going to change the game."

The title of the story leaves you to believe he is condoning the hits. I think the kid did a great job of telling it like it should be that the NFL will one day be full of rules and regulations that no player will be willing to touch another player for fear of being find or suspended. What sport is this anyways.....badminton?
Left Out

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Oct 21, 2010
NFFL. National Flag Football League.
Backwards We Go

United States

#3 Oct 21, 2010
The hitting and crunching and action is why I upgraded from my old 1980's tube t.v. to the 50 inch L.E.D.$10,000 high def flat panel t.v.

Are they saying I might have to watch paint dry on it? No action, no fun, just boring flag football?
dum dums

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Oct 21, 2010
They don't want to eliminate good hits. That is why we watch. They just don't want the cheap stuff. Duh! BTW,$10,000 for a 50 inch? Double duh!
No fun league

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Oct 21, 2010
Might as well give everyone flags and play flag football instead then. You can keep everyone real healhty that way. Its a contact sport. People are gonna get hurt, thats just the way it is. I think they are making it next to impossible to play defense. This will discourage defensive players from playing an agressive style which I like. Players like Ray Lewis, Troy Polamalu are gonna have to think twice now about playing the way they've played all their lives and that style they play is what makes them great. Pretty soon we'll start seeing flag football, where no one can tackle anyone. Its all about they money. NFL wants their star offensive players on the field because star players generate interest which generates money.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#6 Oct 21, 2010
What a crock of sh*t! Go ahead and ruin football!
Just saying

Tampa, FL

#7 Oct 21, 2010
Percy Harvin is a black guy with little skinny girls ankles......

he would rather be hit in the head than around the ankles.

“We've been Norv'ed”

Since: Nov 09

Erie

#8 Oct 21, 2010
What the league could do to possibly eliminate some of these concussions is mandate one helmet-THE SAFEST ONE. CURRENTLY THE PLAYERS USE 3 OR 4 DIFFERENT TYPES, PERHAPS THIS WOULD HELP.
LOL

Tampa, FL

#9 Oct 22, 2010
erie-vike fan wrote:
What the league could do to possibly eliminate some of these concussions is mandate one helmet-THE SAFEST ONE. CURRENTLY THE PLAYERS USE 3 OR 4 DIFFERENT TYPES, PERHAPS THIS WOULD HELP.
wrapping ten layers of bubble wrap around players heads won't stop injuries from purposely directed hits for the purpose of causing injuries.

using the helmet as a weapon is just as wrong as using a clothesline or horsecollar tackle and clipping.

when the teams coaches and owners won't enforce common sense then the league will have to step in.
Mark

Bristow, VA

#10 Oct 22, 2010
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
wrapping ten layers of bubble wrap around players heads won't stop injuries from purposely directed hits for the purpose of causing injuries.
using the helmet as a weapon is just as wrong as using a clothesline or horsecollar tackle and clipping.
when the teams coaches and owners won't enforce common sense then the league will have to step in.
A fix suggested by Joe Paterno is to remove face masks. I'm not sure that's the solution or if it would lead to way more injuries. Interesting idea, though. There were no face masks before the early 1950's. What else? Leather helmets?

“We've been Norv'ed”

Since: Nov 09

Erie

#11 Oct 22, 2010
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
What about the possibility that if the league DOES start suspending players for these types of plays it will cause the defenders to go to the knees more often, a knee injury can be much more severe and prolonged compared to a concussion.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

James Harrison Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Steelers Mock Draft: Predicting All 7 Rounds (Mar '13) Mar '13 Hiroshi 4
Ravens, Steelers interested in Elvis Dumervil, ... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Rodney 1
AFC North: James Harrison not Ready to Leave Di... (Mar '13) Mar '13 bigd 1
Why Has Pittsburgh Steelers Guard Willie Colon ... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Mike 1
Why I'm rooting for the Steelers to win in Week... (Dec '12) Feb '13 Black Is back 19
7 Questions the Pittsburgh Steelers Must Answer... (Jan '13) Feb '13 steelersfan1 3
Pittsburgh Steelers Mock Draft: Full 7-Round Pr... (Dec '12) Jan '13 wondering 2
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

James Harrison People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••