Mark Purdy: Raiders could stand to learn a lesson from JaMarcus Rus...

Full story: Marin Independent Journal

JaMarcus Russell has swallowed his own medicine. In more ways than one. After his arrest this week in Alabama on suspicion of possession of codeine syrup that often is used to make a narcotic "purple drank," the former Raiders quarterback will be playing defense.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 4 of4
kseeley

Fairfax, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2010

Judged:

still a good judge of talent? Do you have any significant coaching background whatsoever to make that naive remark? I think you lost most of your readers at that juncture...
Fillmore Jr High Coach

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2010

Judged:

this reader found the article refreshing. So what you are saying is that the writer of the article requires "significant coaching background" in order to comment. Don't think Mel Kiper has coached a down of football, is he qualified to comment...are you? I have coached football for 15 years, and have an opinion, but i'm not a journalist, nor would i feel qualified to evaluate talent for an NFL team. ONly thing naive here is your highly uninspired post, thinking coaching has anything to do with drafting or talent evaluation. Mike Ditka - good coach, buried a franchise with his talent evaluation and decision to trade 11 picks for 1. Bobby Beathard (google if u don't know him) is considered one of the best evaluators of talent in NFL history and has a solid case for NFL hall of fame. He drafted Ryan Leaf. It's an inexact science, and Al and the Nation blew the JaMayonnaise pick. Instead of bashing the dinosaur, you should appreciate the history and what he has done for the sport. He is an icon, whether u love him or hate him. Whiners are just as horrid, and hats off to Al for admitting mistakes, and putting together a great offseason.
Captain Canada

Brandon, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2010

Judged:

Fillmore Jr High Coach wrote:
this reader found the article refreshing. So what you are saying is that the writer of the article requires "significant coaching background" in order to comment. Don't think Mel Kiper has coached a down of football, is he qualified to comment...are you? I have coached football for 15 years, and have an opinion, but i'm not a journalist, nor would i feel qualified to evaluate talent for an NFL team. ONly thing naive here is your highly uninspired post, thinking coaching has anything to do with drafting or talent evaluation. Mike Ditka - good coach, buried a franchise with his talent evaluation and decision to trade 11 picks for 1. Bobby Beathard (google if u don't know him) is considered one of the best evaluators of talent in NFL history and has a solid case for NFL hall of fame. He drafted Ryan Leaf. It's an inexact science, and Al and the Nation blew the JaMayonnaise pick. Instead of bashing the dinosaur, you should appreciate the history and what he has done for the sport. He is an icon, whether u love him or hate him. Whiners are just as horrid, and hats off to Al for admitting mistakes, and putting together a great offseason.
Well stated. JaMarcus was the overwhelming consensus #1 pick in his draft year. It is most definitely not an exact science. Interesting that Al's many detractors attempted to credit his "advisors" for this off-season's moves. Can't wait to see Mr. Davis hoist his fourth Lombardi.
wow

Oroville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2010

Fillmore Jr High Coach wrote:
100% agree, and once you make it to pro sports of past collage for that matter arn't you supposed to be a grown up, your employer is not a baby sitter, if you need one then your road will lead the same place as russell although probably not as rich but still a loser. although i never agreed with him being drafted i am glad he rectified the situation. and if you are a true fan you take the good with the bad, we have definitely had some good and way more then our share of bad but a true fan stays with his or her team you don't just look at the standings to decide who you are going to root for.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 4 of4
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••