Have Bears tuned out Lovie Smith?

Have Bears tuned out Lovie Smith?

There are 58 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Sep 23, 2008, titled Have Bears tuned out Lovie Smith?. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Tuesday's two-minute drill ... Charles Tillman taking a swing at Tampa Bay wide receiver Michael Clayton was the most impulsive, indefensible punch in Chicago sports since former Cub Michael Barrett slugged ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“Want Your Extra Time And Your ”

Since: Sep 08

USA

#1 Sep 23, 2008
The only "fire" from Lovie that will do any good is the kind where he gets a pink slip. Along with Angelo and the McCaskeys. Every last McCaskey.

Mark Cuban needs to buy the Bears. Unless Jerry Jones has a twin.
cause n effect

Elk Grove Village, IL

#2 Sep 23, 2008
i normally dont agree with dhaugh but he is right LOVIE ALWAYS LOOKS CONFUSED ON THE SIDELINES. he doesnt show any emotion or coaching skills when they show him during the game. i dont like the ditka approach but please make it look like your doing something and not leaving it to all your coordinators.
Mike Carasotti

Chicago, IL

#3 Sep 23, 2008
I have never seen a coach worse at clock mgnt than Lovie Smith. It's a mess. He should be fired, but he's black and the Bears would be called racist.
Vic

Gastonia, NC

#4 Sep 23, 2008
Firing Lovie couldn't be soon enough! Yesterday would ne too late for Babich!
cause n effect

Elk Grove Village, IL

#5 Sep 23, 2008
Mike Carasotti wrote:
I have never seen a coach worse at clock mgnt than Lovie Smith. It's a mess. He should be fired, but he's black and the Bears would be called racist.
i dont think its because he's black. its because the organization doesnt wanna look wrong like they did with benson and grossman. but on the flip side of that if grossman was black instead of white he wouldve been gone a lot sooner
Curly

Bloomington, IL

#6 Sep 23, 2008
What a stupid article. All that matters is winning. If Lovie is to change his personality then it will come across as disingenuous and desperate and will not be effective. Just as it would be if Lou and Ozzie all of a sudden became quiet reserved managers. Where was this article in a couple of years ago when the Bears were on their way to the Super Bowl?
dan o

Lakeland, FL

#7 Sep 23, 2008
hey lovie get your act together,any other coach would have ran onto the field. you teach passion for the game, show it! even your mentor tony showes it time to time.
Pantherfan

Charlotte, NC

#8 Sep 23, 2008
Let's face it the Bears need to part ways with Mrs. Howell. Like your Obama, he is an affirmative action hire, that did not work out.
We sucked against the Vikes, but you girls had us down 17-3, and we ended up owning you.
staggerlee

Richmond, IN

#9 Sep 23, 2008
In the immortal South Side way of putting things....Lovie?... He Gone!
Ed from Hoffman

Roselle, IL

#10 Sep 23, 2008
Noone seems to be putting together the fact that the defense has been struggling ever since Ron Rivera left.
WTF

United States

#11 Sep 23, 2008
Lovie should have never been extended he was a one shot wonder for the super bowl and he let it slip because he had no offense and was not bright enough to coach a few points from his offense. So he ran the the defensive coordinator out to get his own guy (who has ruined the defense) and kept an offensive coordinator that couldn't win in the Big 10.

He thinks Hester will score all of the points he needs they should have offered Hester to Greenbay for Farve and then not kicked to Hester when they played him ( had to throw that in because Lovie would kick to him). So you would have given up 8 TDs for a guy that could have gotten you 15 - 20???

Lovie is the Dexter Manley of the coaching world.

Since: Dec 07

DuPage County

#12 Sep 23, 2008
I just want to see a new head coach with previous head coaching experience. Enough of the bargain basement pricing.
GL Jeff

Aurora, Canada

#13 Sep 23, 2008
Time for Lovie to show fire or be fired? I opt for the 2nd option - fire Lovie and Jerry Angelo. They dismantled a once great franchise while doing their Wanny imitation.
Pelon

Chicago Heights, IL

#14 Sep 23, 2008
He got us to the Super bowl!

He deserve more respect than this!
GL Jeff

Aurora, Canada

#15 Sep 23, 2008
Pantherfan wrote:
Let's face it the Bears need to part ways with Mrs. Howell. Like your Obama, he is an affirmative action hire, that did not work out.
We sucked against the Vikes, but you girls had us down 17-3, and we ended up owning you.
Wow, you do nothing to dispell the notion of southern racism.

Lovie was the best available when hired. But, he has demonstrated he is too stubborn or incompetent to bring this team to the next higher level.

Lovie is too entrenched with surrounding himself with his 'buddies', rather than the best. Enough evidence with Archuleta instead of C Harris, Babich instead of Rivera, etc., ad nauseum.

Time for Lovie to go because of his track record and nothing more.

Professional sports is about winning today. Not what you did yesterday.
GL Jeff

Aurora, Canada

#16 Sep 23, 2008
Ed from Hoffman wrote:
Noone seems to be putting together the fact that the defense has been struggling ever since Ron Rivera left.
Amen, Ed.

I ran into Rivera at The Silo in Lake Bluff right after he signed with San Diego. I congratulated him and said at that time that the Bears would regret their decision about him. Rivera was very courteous and seemed genuine in his appreciation of the support.

Rivera has worked his magic with SD. He will be a head coach before long. Perhaps with the Bears? That would be fitting.
Believer

Schaumburg, IL

#17 Sep 23, 2008
It's obvious the Bears have talent but the wrong leadership. Lovie needs to demonstrate strength with his players now. They need a strong leader to rally around and Lovie just isn't showing it.
Shut up Haugh

Chicago, IL

#18 Sep 23, 2008
Give it a rest already!!!! Lovie must remain who he is. If he comes out all fire and brimstone in public, then we will look like a phony. He should do what he has been doing and let the results speak for themselves. Championships are not won in September, anyway. Haugh and the Chicago sports "writers" seem to have an overinflated sense of their own importance. As soon as any of those clowns make a tackle, throw a touchdown pass, make an important block, or kick a game winning field goal, then they can criticize. Otherwise shut up! None of these "experts" whines so much about Lovie when he took the Bears to the Super Bowl!
Believer

Schaumburg, IL

#19 Sep 23, 2008
Ed from Hoffman wrote:
The defense struggled when Rivera was with the team. They started out great that year and progressively faded with every game.
Believer

Schaumburg, IL

#21 Sep 23, 2008
Pelon wrote:
He got us to the Super bowl!
He deserve more respect than this!
The only reason he made the Super Bowl is because Grossman played 7-8 games out of his mind. Once he came back to reality, they were a very average team and it showed in the Super Bowl.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jamar Williams Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Chicago Bears' defense looks good on film, coul... (Dec '09) Dec '09 Coach Hawkins 1
News Chicago Bears nixing Plaxico Burress no surpris... (Jul '09) Jul '09 Favre 55
News 5 Chicago Bears who better watch draft (Apr '09) Apr '09 _DiMz_ 43
News With mini-camp completed, Chicago Bears switchi... (Mar '09) Mar '09 USMC Bears Fan 55
News Bears should offer Brian Urlacher for Cardinals... (Feb '09) Mar '09 a GIANT forever 250
News Babich finally gets aggressive-in postgame lock... (Nov '08) Dec '08 Al Weis 64
News Bears' Charles Tillman, Mike Brown healthy enou... (Dec '08) Dec '08 Just Win Baby 1
More from around the web