Broncos vs. Chargers Preview: AFC Wes...

Broncos vs. Chargers Preview: AFC West rivalry renewed

There are 138 comments on the Fox 31 KDVR story from Oct 14, 2009, titled Broncos vs. Chargers Preview: AFC West rivalry renewed. In it, Fox 31 KDVR reports that:

With the win over the Patriots now in the rearview mirror, the Denver Broncos set their sights squarely on the Chargers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox 31 KDVR.

icewolf

Denver, CO

#21 Oct 17, 2009
Proud Veteran USA wrote:
I have one question.
Who will Phillip Rivers heckle, now that Jay Cutler is no longer on the team?
He can always use a mirror. He's a joke.

Since: Oct 09

Denver, CO

#22 Oct 17, 2009
Sadly, LT is yet another example of how short a running back's life is in the NFL. Terrell Davis saddened me when his hall of fame career was cut short by injury.
Sadly, LT will be lost in a legacy of a short career.
That being said, time to show the rest of the AFC West who is boss.
GO BRONCOS!
Tony

Denver, CO

#23 Oct 17, 2009
Hey Proud Vet: Damn good question! IMAO
scsuperchargers

San Clemente, CA

#24 Oct 17, 2009
Proud Veteran USA wrote:
I have one question.
Who will Phillip Rivers heckle, now that Jay Cutler is no longer on the team?
don't worry, i'm sure the next chargers vs. bears game will provide alot of entertainment.

and you know that EVERY broncos fan now CONVENIENTLY hates jay cutler!!! broncos fans just finally opened your eyes wide enough to see what the rest of the nfl saw.

one more thing, RIVERS HAS WON 5 OF 6 MEETINGS VS. DENVER.
MOST RECENTLY 56-21 AT HOME (9 MONTHS AGO). 6 of 7???

go chargers
Tony

Denver, CO

#25 Oct 17, 2009
Statistically Broncos should win... Here is why! But of course that doesn't mean they will. But they should win!:) Hopefully

Broncos SD Line
TakeAway +6 +2 +B
Tot Off AFC 3rd 13th +B
1st Downs AFC 101 75 +B
Pass Yards 1189 1182 even
REC yards 1236 1245 even
Rush Yards AFC 695 215 +B
Rush Yards LG 4th 32nd +B
KO Returns 168YD 544YD +SD
Sacks 16 4 +B
FG,Punts, Tackles +B
Points/Gm allowed 9.8 27.6 +B

There could be only three reasons why SD has 3.5 pt advantage by odds makers.

1. Homefield
2. Lost 2 in row which is rare for SD
3. Broncos let down after win over Pats
scsuperchargers

San Clemente, CA

#26 Oct 17, 2009
Tony wrote:
Statistically Broncos should win... Here is why! But of course that doesn't mean they will. But they should win!:) Hopefully
Broncos SD Line
TakeAway +6 +2 +B
Tot Off AFC 3rd 13th +B
1st Downs AFC 101 75 +B
Pass Yards 1189 1182 even
REC yards 1236 1245 even
Rush Yards AFC 695 215 +B
Rush Yards LG 4th 32nd +B
KO Returns 168YD 544YD +SD
Sacks 16 4 +B
FG,Punts, Tackles +B
Points/Gm allowed 9.8 27.6 +B
There could be only three reasons why SD has 3.5 pt advantage by odds makers.
1. Homefield
2. Lost 2 in row which is rare for SD
3. Broncos let down after win over Pats
4. SD is coming off a bye week
5. Rivers has 5 wins & 1 loss career vs. the Broncos

on the other hand, SD's defense has been swiss cheese. so it all depends with chargers defense shows up.
socals finest bronco fan

United States

#27 Oct 17, 2009
Broncos ftw...were 5-0 and for people saying we haven't had any good competition I'm sorry, the patriots and cowboys were both overturned as we were down 10-0 in the 1st. I don't wanna sit here and say the broncos have it in the bag but really the numbers show the broncos will win. But hey you never know what can happen in a game. Numbers aren't everything, and with the chargers coming off a bye week well rested and prepared for this rival game both the broncos and the chargers fans are in for a great game.

Stop talking shit about how good the chargers have whipped the broncos in the past and stop talking about how the broncos are gunna beat the shit out of the chargers this year...

Let's just sit back and appriciate this wonderful game and may the best team win.=D
Agreed?

Denver, CO

#28 Oct 17, 2009
scsuperchargers wrote:
<quoted text>
d...EVERY broncos fan now CONVENIENTLY hates jay cutler!!!
WRONG!
My allegiance to Jay Cutler began when he was at Vanderbilt. I almost dropped a left nut when the Broncos traded up for him at the draft. I've never felt anything but great regard for him and am still a proud fan of his, as well as other Bronco players that have been traded off to other teams. Just because the Broncos let him go doesn't mean that we should hate the guy. THAT is just redneck mentality and sure signs of a broad hatred towards many things.
I, personally, hope he has an all-pro year. It doesn't mean that the Broncos will struggle because we lost him. As a matter of fact, we'll end up with as good a record as the Bears.
Tony

Denver, CO

#29 Oct 17, 2009
I don't hate cutler. Wish the best for him! However, if the Broncos ever play Chicago, I'm rooting for the Broncos.

Although sad that Shanahan was terminated, I thought that he should go 3 or 4 years earlier.

If Cutler didn't like the new coach he should go. And Marshall sat out the whole season because of his attitude and that was ok too.

I thought from the time Shanahan was terminated, that everything was good and again I don't hate Cutler. He has a great arm, but I don't think he could handle the new Bronco offense. I suspect he doesn't have the maturity. I think Cutler needs the type of coach that appeases instead of mentors. To Cutler, an appeasement type coach is a mentor.

Denver, CO

#30 Oct 17, 2009
My crystal ball tells me that....

1) The Broncos will win the AFC West
2) Lose in the AFC Championship game to the inevitable winners of the super bowl
3) Chicago will make the NFC playoffs as a wild card but will fold before the Super Bowl, even though Cutler has an outstanding year.

Mark my words.
scsuperchargers

San Clemente, CA

#31 Oct 17, 2009
my crystal ballS say:

-orton will throw 2 int's monday night.

-chargers win on monday by 7+. i'm thinking 33-24.

-our records will be even in a little over a months time.
MATHEW

Chula Vista, CA

#32 Oct 18, 2009
The chargers well win this game at home and the score well be 28 chargers and 17 broncos the broncos cant take the chargers offense.Chargers Rock!!!!!!!!!!
MATHEW

Chula Vista, CA

#33 Oct 18, 2009
the chargers will blow out the broncos or at least when the game the score will be 28 chargers and 17 broncos the broncos cant take the chargers super offense!!!!!!
Mathew

Chula Vista, CA

#34 Oct 18, 2009
the chargers by win by 250 rushing yards by sproles or even more all i know is that the chargers are going to win the game.Good luck!
raysmom

Pueblo, CO

#35 Oct 18, 2009
Well, I'm a Broncos fan, but I have to agree with one thing Ssuperchargers said, actually, two: he has Fishing for Haters (littleton) pegged (but be careful not to sound too much like him, S)- and this game will depend a lot on how our D holds up against Rivers (I really don't like that guy- no class, but he's pretty good). Norv Turner is just good enough to get you beat, though, c'mon. And this isn't last year's or even the last 3 or 4 year's Broncos- a new formula, a new energy, a new focus. The stats don't lie. They have far surpassed expectations, and they have earned it. They are still a little raw, and have their weak spots, for sure- and being in SD doesn't help, but I think they are better than SD, overall, and will win. It's going to be a barn-burner, for sure!
scsuperchargers

San Clemente, CA

#36 Oct 18, 2009
raysmom wrote:
Well, I'm a Broncos fan, but I have to agree with one thing Ssuperchargers said, actually, two: he has Fishing for Haters (littleton) pegged (but be careful not to sound too much like him, S)- and this game will depend a lot on how our D holds up against Rivers (I really don't like that guy- no class, but he's pretty good). Norv Turner is just good enough to get you beat, though, c'mon. And this isn't last year's or even the last 3 or 4 year's Broncos- a new formula, a new energy, a new focus. The stats don't lie. They have far surpassed expectations, and they have earned it. They are still a little raw, and have their weak spots, for sure- and being in SD doesn't help, but I think they are better than SD, overall, and will win. It's going to be a barn-burner, for sure!
"he has Fishing for Haters (littleton) pegged (but be careful not to sound too much like him, S)"

...thank you for the post (& the reminder/advice...)
i can't argue much with your assessment raysmom. well said! except for one thing--> that whole 'rivers has no class' argument.
uh-oh, my philip rivers apologetic side has now taken over:
i agree that the whole rivers/cutler exchange from a few years back was childish, but it was heavily media driven. the viewers only saw one side of the story. i am 100% positive that if the cameras were following cutler's every word throughout the entire game (as well as probably 90% of the other players), he would not have been seen as some innocent angel.
furthermore, were you aware of the fact that philip rivers DOES NOT SWEAR? so all of that smack talk is 100%'G' rated. in my opinion, that's pretty genuine in this era.

alright, back to monday's game:
i am just hoping/praying/pleading that the bye week will help kick start this team! i can't stand the slow starts to the season under norval. so far our d sucks and running game is void.

last thing, and i must admit it, i AM starting brandon marshall & k. orton on my fantasy team against my beloved team...

scsuperchargers

San Clemente, CA

#37 Oct 18, 2009
tjschweb wrote:
You know superchargers, you really need to wake up and smell the coffee, because yes the chargers have had denvers number in the past, but that is the past, before the 2004 season the broncos had san diegos number for years before that, in fact elway would usually make quick work of you every single game. Now quit living in the past because you really need to look at the numbers being put up right now. Denver is number one in the entire league in defense, where is san diego, nowhere in the top 5. San diegos general manger, even said that they cant run the ball, and cant stop the run. Sorry but that has been your bread and butter for some years now. Now what, are you going to say that we haven't played quality teams, right, new england is very good and the only other game they lost was to a well playing new york team, and the bengals just got done beating the mighty ravens. Have we gotten lucky? yes, but if that is what wins football games than so be it, san diego just hasn't much luck at all. So supercharger get over yourself and let the men decide who is the better team, and stop telling how good the chargers aren't. Its rediculous, and insulting to all of bronco nation out there!
the trend has been very slow starts for the chargers under norv turner. to put it simply, the chargers must win this game. and they have done pretty well (in the reg. season, at least), with must-wins, as i know you have witnessed in "recent" games.
and btw, you're kind of foolish with your requests for me to "stop living in the past" when your quoting denver's performance from PRIOR games. isn't that the past too?
let's focus on the present/future: i look forward to a fun game.
go bolts.

raysmom

Pueblo, CO

#38 Oct 18, 2009
Super- I didn't know that about Rivers- that's unheard of! Yes, I guess you have to take this stuff with a grain of salt- I'll take that advice, too!

And my husband and son have been running a fantasy league for years, so I know about "rooting for" players you are up against, team-wise. It's not treasonous- just making a silk purse out of a sow's ear! LOL! Good luck!
Bronco

Loveland, OH

#39 Oct 18, 2009
Supercharger, you are living for last year, while the chargers got into the playoffs, they choked.
If you want to talk about yesteryear, what about the Broncos Superbowl back to back victories?
However, we are not resting on yesteryear's successes or failures. This is 2009 and the mediocre Chargers are trying to stay alive this early in the season. Denver can loose this game, and go on to win the division, easily, while the Chargers fans may as well just stay home if they loose this one. This is not a must win for Denver, its a must win for Chargers. While we realize the Chargers are desperate, they are also in disarray, and the Horse will kick the bolts, 17-7
scsuperchargers

San Clemente, CA

#40 Oct 18, 2009
Bronco wrote:
Supercharger, you are living for last year, while the chargers got into the playoffs, they choked.
If you want to talk about yesteryear, what about the Broncos Superbowl back to back victories?
However, we are not resting on yesteryear's successes or failures. This is 2009 and the mediocre Chargers are trying to stay alive this early in the season. Denver can loose this game, and go on to win the division, easily, while the Chargers fans may as well just stay home if they loose this one. This is not a must win for Denver, its a must win for Chargers. While we realize the Chargers are desperate, they are also in disarray, and the Horse will kick the bolts, 17-7
we'll see bronco. chargers will take it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jamal Williams Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fox predicting quick turnaround (Mar '11) Mar '11 Foxfarts 5
News The Josh McDaniels Experiment Has Failed in Denver (Oct '10) Oct '10 Bullfarts 4
News The Perfect Team: AFC West Style (Aug '10) Aug '10 RAIDER MISTERIO OG 2
News Early scouting report: Denver Broncos (Jul '10) Jul '10 Rocketman 1
News Broncos add former Cowboys center Procter (May '10) May '10 Bullfarts 4
News Former San Diego star to visit the Saints (Mar '10) Mar '10 Mookie 1
News Sproles staying put (Mar '10) Mar '10 Smartypantz 1
More from around the web