Veering toward veterans

Full story: Chicago Tribune
The draft is to free agency what a suburban outlet mall is to a Gold Coast boutique. Full Story
HLz

Pittsburgh, PA

#1 Feb 29, 2008
Jerry Angelo: "I would love to have all veteran offensive linemen".

Guess what, Jerry??? You did, until you cut them last week.

Wish lists and platitudes and "market sobriety" are all wonderful things, but they don't win ballgames. I'm not against dropping Brown and Miller, but if it means we're going to start 2 rookies on the O-line, or pick up free agents that are no better than Brown or Miller, all we've done is waste time and signing bonuses. Get Faneca, or at least get a solid vet without the big name (and big paycheck), but don't try to turn a career backup into a starter like we did with Qasim Mitchell.
Chad

Schaumburg, IL

#2 Feb 29, 2008
There were points last year where I thought garret Wolfe would be a better RT than Drive Killer Miller. So replacing him is not a hard task. I just hope Jerry has the sack to put this line together right. We could use two G's and Draft a solid Tackle like Otah or Williams. He could even trade down (a fetish of his) in the first and one of those two should still be there.
BillATL

Atlanta, GA

#3 Feb 29, 2008
It seems as though the Browns O Line is one of the best in the NFL.... which they may be. They allowed among the fewest sacks in the NFL, helped a resurgent Jamall Lewis rush for over 1,300 yards (3rd in the NFL) and helped Cleveland become one of the NFL's offensive powerhouses. All of this had come rather suddenly to a team with the worst offense in football over the last 15 years. Hail the O'Line seems fair, but wrong.
The O'Line gave up 5 sacks in the first half of the first game of the season with Charlie Fry at QB. I think Lewis rushed for like 30 yards that day. In comes Derick Anderson!!!!
Through the next 15 games he only gets sacked 5 times... and you know the rest.
The problem with Cleveland is they didn't see this coming so they traded their 1st pick this year for Brady Quinn last year. Now the Brown's have too many QB's and no defense.
We have some defensive talent and some draft picks but no QB and an average O'Line. I say we upgrade both positions by giving up the first that we always screw up anyways and bring in Anderson. He's tall, young, proven and can still be had for a bargin price now. This reminds me too much of the Brett Farve situation to pass up this time around.
fmfan

Cypress, TX

#4 Mar 1, 2008
I believe the Bears made a big mistake by letting Fred Miller go. When he is a 100% healthy he is a great player. Good Luck Fred we will miss you!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jake Scott Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Arizona Cardinals' Blueprint for Winning Free A... (Mar '13) Mar '13 alex casillas 1
Bottom Line Might Not Be Bottom Line In NFL Talks (Mar '11) Mar '11 dcp 3
Some Baltimore fans not ready to forget (Dec '07) Sep '10 Stop Ignoring Eve... 139
Titans appear optimistic heading toward camp (Jun '10) Jun '10 mwgfret 1
NFL Preview - N.Y. Jets (Nov '08) Nov '08 bigchainy 1
Colts Take Pollak With 1st Draft Pick (Apr '08) Apr '08 colts fan 4
2 Colts visit Titans (Mar '08) Mar '08 Larry W 37

Jake Scott People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE