Bears' Israel Idonije hopes for new contract

Full story: Chicago Tribune

MOBILE, Ala. - Israel Idonije has been a key contributor for the Bears without being a regular starter.
Comments
1 - 20 of 93 Comments Last updated Jan 30, 2009
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Evan

Libertyville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

I hope Izzy signs again, hes a good player.
imp

Round Lake, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

i would'nt give ANY Bears players more money! Especially after the way they "packed it in" in Texas. Those players were thinking about where they were going to go on vacatiob by the 2nd quarter!
Losers!
Creighton

Evanston, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

Thet should trade Izzy for a draft pick, he's a natural 5 tech end and belongs in a 3-4. The Bears don't use him all that much and could probably get something for him from the chargers who will need an end and Rivera knows Izzy pretty well. Izzy would be in a better situation to make more money and the Bears could probably get a 3rd rounder for him.
WI Bear

Baldwin, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

Adewale got this one right --- after the way most of them played, they don't deserve squat. But Izzy is one of the few who gives his best effort out on the field. Just wished he didn't have "NEXT QUESTION!" representing him (blech!)
Fact-o-life

Mesa, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

Odinije...Good Move! Shut up and play. Actually, I respect you more know. Now, of course, if the Bears wouldn't have given in to Urr-lacher and Tommie Harris' demands...maybe they would have shown up this past season to play and maybe made the playoffs and than rightly so everyone on defense would have gotten a pay increase. Odinije, good luck with that money sucking Hoover of an agent...hope you get what u deserve. Maybe after next year, you'll get a one way ticket out of town with Lovie, Babich, Marinelli, Urlacher, Vasher, Tillman, Harris, Adrian P., Booker, and R. Davis...maybe you should get a charter all together, it be cheaper!
Stephen

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

Well by God, the Bears should just open up their wallets again for everyone on defense. They played a good season and earned every penny and deserve a nice fat raise.
Go Lovie-Go Away

Boise, ID

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

What a class guy Adewale Ogunleye is. Even though he had an off year, he's still a good guy. And he is very honest.
WrecksAlwaysSux

King Of Prussia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

Maybe Urlacher should pay for Idonijie's raise. You know, with all the same old sorry excuses that he (as an MLB) sucks at playing the run because the Bears don't have Ted Washingtons in front of him and all.
sweet34

Pleasanton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

"When you have two seasons where you don't make the playoffs, you have to keep your mouth shut and just hope you'll be here."

unless you're a few assistant coaches that truly sucked and shouldn't have been here ...and your mentor, Bob Babich was incompentent, and the head coach decided only now they needed his help.
or a GM and a Head Coach that talk sideways about priorities.

It's good, keep the rest of the NFL guessing, then snatch a great one PLEASE .... ruff !!!
sweet34

Pleasanton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

the constant princess

Libertyville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2009

Go Lovie-Go Away wrote:
What a class guy Adewale Ogunleye is. Even though he had an off year, he's still a good guy. And he is very honest.
He is a Prince among men.
Tom

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2009

Great, another under performer that the Bears will grossly overpay.
Jim

Dolton, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2009

To hold Idonije evn on the team would be a mistake! That's the Bears Achilles heel, the inside defensive line. They need somebody bigger and stronger to take on a double team. Idonije is a good special teams player, NOT a starter! It all starts on the line!
Igg

Plano, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2009

"If we win and you advance to the playoffs," Ogunleye said after the Bears' season ended, "I'm sure anybody here can go upstairs and say,'Hey, what are you going to do?'

"When you have two seasons where you don't make the playoffs, you have to keep your mouth shut and just hope you'll be here."

Isn't that the truth, lets just see if he stands by that.
dimitri007

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2009

Jerry better sign Idonije and in a hurry!! His stats are all while playing partially on the line in a new position..not to mention his special teams play and his ability to stay healthy.....unlike the rest of the Defensive linemen we pay big dollars to. Big mistake if we don't get an athlete like Idonije signed for another 4 years......BIG MISTAKE!
dimitri007

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2009

Jim of Monee couldn't tackle my grandmother.....try going from 275 pounds as an end and get up to 306 and be asked to play tackle per the coaches request...and keep your blazing speed for a man that size........ then cover kicks, block on returns, block field goals, and block for Robbie Gould......Hmmm? Izzy or Divorcek..Izzy or part time Tommie....Izzy or get blown out Harrison??? He should be starting...he'll show up every game and play for his pay.....wake up people!
Sterilize u deserve it

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2009

I agree, keep Izzy he's a beast.
firefly

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2009

on word after last season......c'ya!!

Since: Jul 08

Windsor, Ontario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2009

Why not pay Izzy?
He was one of the few players to actually earn his paycheck this year.
I agree that he should be starting but, we need him on special teams too!
Eddie from Texas

Edinburg, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2009

Jerry Angelo has to be one of the worst GM's outside of Matt Millen. Kyle did such a great job for us as QB without anyone really notable while passing to. While I love Devin, Rasheid, Marty, and Brandon, none of those three are really standout receivers. Devin's a standout because he's more famous for special teams play. Not starting Brandon Rideau who was by far their best receiver in the pre-season just because he wasn't drafted by Angelo is stupid. Angelo needs to put his ego in check and listen to his coaches. Lovie and Ron both already said they need a good wideout, Angelo is quite simply being stubborn and will probably give us another first three picks that will simply end up being cut two years from now (Benson, Grossman, Bazuin, Okwo, Bradley, gave away Thomas Jones for that 2nd round pick which Angelo then gave up to washington who would trade it to SD who ended up getting the awesome Eric Weddle. By the way the player they traded 2nd round pick that got Eric Weddle was ADAM ARCHULETA.). For the love of God, Jerry, trade our 18th round pick (I say our pick because you are not the ruler of the team) and try to trade up to draft Michael Crabtree. Angelo is quite simply on his way to becoming Matt Millen.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Israel Idonije Discussions

Search the Israel Idonije Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Chicago Bears' Defense Has Top 10 Potential Onc... May '14 Rosemarie Fiore Roberts 1
Lions' Suh growing up, and he's better than ever (Sep '13) Sep '13 BillInKeyWest 1
Without Nick Fairley, Detroit Lions' Defensive ... (Sep '13) Sep '13 alvan buck 1
Countdown To Kickoff71 Days Until Chicago Bears... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Bleeds Purple 1
Bears give Marquess Wilson a second chance in d... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Vulcans Rath 3
Bear Bites: Is Idonije Tennessee-Bound? (Apr '13) Apr '13 Wallace hunter 1
New York Jets Potential Free Agent: Israel Idonije (Mar '13) Mar '13 Laughing Bear Fan 3
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••