Bears question penalty call after scuffle

The day after an unnecessary-roughness call on Charles Tillman affected the outcome in a 27-24 loss to Tampa Bay, the Bears still wondered why an offsetting penalty wasn't assessed on Buccaneers offensive ... Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
RamRod

Saint Paul, MN

#23 Sep 23, 2008
Malcolm wrote:
allchifan must be watching a different team than me if he thinks Lovie is an idiot. That man is one heck of a coach. His teams have performed all but last year when they were all hurt.
AllChiFan saw the same game I did and we're both sick of watching a scripted game plan that gets no adjustment, even at halftime. A loyalty to a staff enthused about mediocraty and a whole team sanitized of the killer instinct.

Mike Ditka would be out of his element, in today's game, but, his go-for-the-throat brand of team inspiration, needs to be revisited.

I'd like to hear other poster's candidates for a revival coach.
sean

Englewood, CO

#25 Sep 23, 2008
maybe the call was bad...but the defense still looked like old men as the bucs drove the other 80 yards for the score...Im just sayin'
Bek-Down State Illinois

United States

#26 Sep 23, 2008
We should not have even been in overtime!!! Winning with 3 minutes to go, and they tie the game!!!! For the love of God!! Bonehead play by Tilman?? Sure---but we should have been in the locker room. Bears lost this game as a team, not on one play. Can't wait until Sunday with the Eagles--did you see their defense "kill" Big Ben? It's gonna be a l-o-n-g season.
Jimmy P - East Village

Chicago, IL

#27 Sep 23, 2008
Hey, it happened and it just wasn't their day! I could never fault a player for defending a member of his team. Especially Tillman, one of the few true role models in football today. Its just that he was caught! However, any post game review ought to warrant a fine on Trueblood who basically admit what he did after the game.
Chris R

United States

#28 Sep 23, 2008
One of the oldest saws in the NFL is that the second player is the one that gets called for a personal foul. The refs see the guy that retailates, not the instigator. Everyone knows this. The solution is simple: replay. It was very obvious on the very first replay ran on TV what happened. Penalize ther person that deserves it. Sounds so simple, I wonder why its not being done already.
Mike

Oak Park, IL

#29 Sep 23, 2008
'"We say don't get them, it's no more than that", Smith said.' What a great coaching style... the next time I see Lovie say something to a player on the sideline after a dumb penalty or blown assignment, it will be the first time. Instead of a slap on the wrist, maybe he should start slapping some backsides onto the bench. Does Lovie even say anything into his headset microphone during the course of a game? From his total lack of expression, let alone emotion, one might surmise he only uses the headset to listen to some soothing New Age musical tripe. Hey, Lovie, THE FANS pay you millions to coach... at least try not to look like you're only waiting for the game to end so you can jog over and shake the other coach's hand.
noneoftheabove

United States

#30 Sep 23, 2008
Lovie is a horrible coach and the whole team
lacks discipline. Most fans know that it's always the
player the retaliates that gets the penalty.
Tillman should have put his team before his ego.
It was a good penalty, if the refs didn't see the initial
infraction, they can't call it - can they.
The officiating in football is horrible. If they are going to let teams use technology, then they should overhaul how the game is officiated also. My solution is to have 11 ref's in the booth - each assigned to one offensive player, any infraction they detect is immediately told to the official on the field.
The game is suffering - I find myself watching other things because of too many commercials, all the delays and reviewing replays, and the players acting like animals ( ie. goofy celebrations, taunting after tackles, dirty players), horrible calls or noncalls etc. My wife asked me about a pass interference call - which I could only explain as " sometimes they call it and sometimes they don't" Ridiculus.
joe kirk

United States

#31 Sep 23, 2008
The Bears got totally screwed sunday by the ref's. Week to week im so sick of seeing games determined by the officials!!!! If anyone should be fined it should be the officiating crew.
Lovie Smith stands there like nothing happened?!? Mike Ditka wouldve put his foot in the refs you know what!
Joe

Chicago, IL

#33 Sep 23, 2008
Exactly. Why aren't these reviewable?
Refs could look at the replay and then decide. Even without that, bad call. Should have been offsetting.
I wouldn't call Lovie a bad coach, but the fact that they STILL don't have a viable QB and refused to draft one from all that was available this year....well, that could be a factor in a year or two. The organization could decide to "go in a different direction." Right now, the Bears have two backup QBs and a rookie (who's probably better than both of them, but won't get a chance to show it as the coaching staff won't admit it's made a big mistake).
You think that's not the most crucial factor in the Bears' losses this year?
Ask New England how important a QB is.
oak park Mike

Chicago, IL

#34 Sep 23, 2008
The Tampa receiver said he taunted Tillman into the fight. Tillman took the bait. The Bears problem is mental, since they play with passion, it must be mental. That points to Smith. He stubbornly sticks with the cover 2 D, that Greise picked apart. They are too predictable on D and O, which puts your team in big trouble. Time for Smith to be more authoritative and creative.
JBN

Chicago, IL

#35 Sep 23, 2008
Tillman ran in from 20 yards away and started throwing punches. Doesn't matter who started it or what Tillman's objectives were, the retailiator always gets called for the penalty. I'm glad he wants to stand up for his teammates but that was just stupid.

Since: Sep 08

Elkhart, IN

#37 Sep 23, 2008
I agree, when the showed the replay, it obvious that at least 2 or three PUNCHES had been thrown in the area of the offensive lineman. The NFL has TWO officials assigned to watch that area of the field for the ENTIRE play, and they both missed the punches? That said, it was still TOTALLY STUPID for Tillman to fall for Clayton's admitted "extra" shot, but the thing that everyone is overlooking is that if Rashid Davis was really the #1 receiver he keeps claiming to be, he wouldn't have watched an easy catch fly through his hands, and defense might never have been on the field again in the game.
Susan wrote:
YAY!! I have been unhappy ever since that call was made on Tillman, and then some crummy columnists called for his head.
The call was garbage. The loss was a team effort. I am happy to see my favorite Bear vindicated.
ACJ

Woodridge, IL

#38 Sep 23, 2008
Let's face it, both teams got the short end from the refs in several instances on Sunday and for better or worse, it's part of the game. Tampa got flagged for intentional grounding after the officials watched a replay on the jumbotron (which isn't allowed), the Bucs got away with a horse collar in OT, and then this play (which Tillman deserved the flag, but from the sound of it Tampa did too).

Fact is, this play occurs in the 3rd quarter, nobody cares, but since it was in OT everyone cares. Maybe if the Bears could have stopped Tampa once in the last 6 minutes of regulation, we wouldn't be talking about this!
fireplug

United States

#39 Sep 23, 2008
Uh, Mr. Trueblood,

Isn't it kind of ridiculous to scream that someone on the other team is "grabbing your genitals" when it seems pretty obvious from watching the melee that you are totally lacking in that particular body part?

Fireplug
Tom P

Valparaiso, IN

#40 Sep 23, 2008
It was a dumb penalty, and I wish cooler heads would have prevailed. I still will root for Da Bears and not be a fair weather fan who has resigned them to a 6 - 10 record. You should be glad you don't watch the games with us. You would be missing a lot of Mondays at work. Actually, a lot of Tuesdays too !!! Go Bears . I may not always agree with coaching decisions, but you are my team.
Tom P

Valparaiso, IN

#41 Sep 23, 2008
McLovin : Go jump on another band wagon since we are 1 - 2. We don't want your kind around here. Bears 28 Sparrows 13.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Israel Idonije Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Former Bears player Idonije headed to Geneva Ba... Jul '14 Jason Prometheus 2
Chicago Bears' Defense Has Top 10 Potential Onc... May '14 Rosemarie Fiore R... 1
Lions' Suh growing up, and he's better than ever (Sep '13) Sep '13 BillInKeyWest 1
Without Nick Fairley, Detroit Lions' Defensive ... (Sep '13) Sep '13 alvan buck 1
Countdown To Kickoff71 Days Until Chicago Bears... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Bleeds Purple 1
Bears give Marquess Wilson a second chance in d... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Vulcans Rath 3
Bear Bites: Is Idonije Tennessee-Bound? (Apr '13) Apr '13 Wallace hunter 1

Israel Idonije People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE