Steelers cut Maddox, Williams in expected moves

Full story: Nfl.com

PITTSBURGH -- Tommy Maddox , who lost his starting quarterback's job shortly after Ben Roethlisberger 's arrival in 2004, was released by the Pittsburgh Steelers in a long-expected salary cap move.
Comments
1 - 20 of 28 Comments Last updated Jun 12, 2006
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Patrick Lebowitz

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Mar 5, 2006
 
Tommy sucks they should of never put him in. He never should of ben a steeler player. I hope they get rid of him.
Nick

Easton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Mar 5, 2006
 
So true! They waited too long to get rid of this guy. It sucked paying $13000.00 a year for season tickets and having to watch him play. Win or lose with Ben or Charlie I can accept but not with this ass.
brad

La Veta, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Mar 6, 2006
 
Tommy sucked he might win a few games but never the big one as the same for neil o'donnell, what jokes these guys are
Arrogant Bastard

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Mar 8, 2006
 
So ... there is a god? he heard my plea for maddox to never play in pittsburgh again inless someone is stupid enough to sign him and then their star qb gets sidelined and he loses here!??! yay .. Tommy .. yeah .. he was alright when he actually had some confidence in himself .. but he cracks under pressure like a egg under my shoe .. you see him out there and he looks like a little girl ... i'd have more poise then him sitting in the middle of East Liberty with some racial slur etched across my naked body .. geez tommy .. go sell some insurance your days here are over .. just be happy we let you stick around and get a ring even though when you put it on you'll feel like a smuck .. heh .. comeback qb my ass .. he'll be lucky if we let him comeback to the city as a citizen if he ever leaves .. mwa hahah
ICEMAN86

Wadsworth, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Mar 12, 2006
 
HEY FOLKS Tommy Gun has the club record for most passing yards in a game! Remember 475 against atlanta? Also he lead us back in the wildcard game against the Cleveland Clowns. Remember down 3 touchdowns in the 4th Quarter and we came back and beat the CLOWNS!! R u going to BOO BEN at the end of his career too?
Kaze

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Mar 13, 2006
 
Iceman,

I agree people forget and turn too quickly! Tommy brought us some great moments, to bad it was at the end and not the beginning of his career.
Angel B

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Mar 14, 2006
 
I couldn't of said it any better!!!!
Arrogant Bastard wrote:
So ... there is a god? he heard my plea for maddox to never play in pittsburgh again inless someone is stupid enough to sign him and then their star qb gets sidelined and he loses here!??! yay .. Tommy .. yeah .. he was alright when he actually had some confidence in himself .. but he cracks under pressure like a egg under my shoe .. you see him out there and he looks like a little girl ... i'd have more poise then him sitting in the middle of East Liberty with some racial slur etched across my naked body .. geez tommy .. go sell some insurance your days here are over .. just be happy we let you stick around and get a ring even though when you put it on you'll feel like a smuck .. heh .. comeback qb my ass .. he'll be lucky if we let him comeback to the city as a citizen if he ever leaves .. mwa hahah
95Molton

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Mar 18, 2006
 
So Shitsburgh won't have Tommy Maddox to kick around anymore. Well I for one and certianly not the minority do not suffer from collective amnesia like the current crop of Maddox detrators. I'm sure you bone smoking Kordell Stewart fans would of gotten to Tennessee in 03 with #10 playing grab ass with Harting behind. Thank God we never found out.
95Molton

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Mar 18, 2006
 
Give me East Liberty or give me death! Give me a break!
pitt

State College, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Mar 23, 2006
 
Kaze wrote:
Iceman,

I agree people forget and turn too quickly! Tommy brought us some great moments, to bad it was at the end and not the beginning of his career.
tommy maddox was important to the steelers, but not anymore. He is a crappy starting qb but a solid veteran backup. I heard he might go to miami...
Solid Steeler Fan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Mar 24, 2006
 
Only people who watch Steeler games with heart would know that Tommy Maddox, had something that all you naysayers don't and that is heart.. oh and btw.. he's still a frigin QB in this league.. and will catch on with a team and probably kick the snot out of us.. You better be careful steeler fans.. If you are a Charlie Batch backer you'd better remember when he was in Detroit (Lions)... I don't think the guy ever had a winning season there.. Maddox, led us to the playoffs and mentored Big BEN.. so if he sux so badly.. then why was Big BEN always talking to him on the sidelines.. huh?? Tommy...I wish you good luck in your future endeavors. Oh.. and one more thing.. for all the shotty steeler fans out there that trash someones house after a loss... Please MOVE to CLEVELAND!!!!!!!!!!
Don't think that stuff happened to Big BEN when he lost last year to New England in the AFC championship game...
One more thing..
WildCard

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Mar 25, 2006
 
Big Ben is the best quarterback we have had in 18 years. We should appreciate his value. Also though look the steelers past 3 drafts in first round were Ben, Troy, Heath all who are huge assets to our team. Not to many other teams last three years first rounders are starting and playing at a competitive level.
mark Zangara

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Mar 28, 2006
 
Tommy wasnt the best QB in the world, sure- but he was good until he took that hit. I am glad he was a Steeler. I miss the days when he could actually throw a ball. he was a great influence/teacher for Ben as well. Good luck no matter where you end up Tom!

Neil O? He was a great QB in his time. I think he was actually bought off in the 95 bowl- those werent mistakes he would normally have made.
Bill Roach

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Apr 2, 2006
 
Tommy was the underdog. I enjoyed watching him play a great deal. I know many fans are ready to put a dagger in the heart of any player that fails them. No second chances for anyone. It must be so lonely to be a fan like that. I like believeing in someone and pulling for THEM and the TEAM! I keep looking for Tommy "news" and really hope he gets another chance somewhere, he WILL make them glad!!
James Leitholf

El Cajon, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Apr 4, 2006
 
In 2002, Maddox was named NFL Comeback Player of the Year after setting a team record for pass-completion percentage (62.1). He also set a Steelers record for passing yards in a game (473).

In 2003, Maddox completed 298 passes on 519 attempts -- both team records -- for 3,414 yards, which is second on the Steelers' single-season passing yardage list. He also set a team record for 300-yard games with six.

That dont suck

GO Tommy I hope you get picked up soon. I'll miss ya.
Doug Charley

Manassas, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Apr 5, 2006
 
Tommy Maddox has been a great Steeler. Didn't fight to renegiotate his contract...was happy the Steelers gave him a second chance. Do you really think that Big Ben is the main guy? That offensive line is the best in football...receivers with Randal was the best in football..defense is the best in football...special teams were the best in football....offensive coordinator did the best play calling in football...Their QB stunk in the Super Bowl...and they won because of their team!
Wes Hyers

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Apr 12, 2006
 
ICEMAN86 wrote:
HEY FOLKS Tommy Gun has the club record for most passing yards in a game! Remember 475 against atlanta? Also he lead us back in the wildcard game against the Cleveland Clowns. Remember down 3 touchdowns in the 4th Quarter and we came back and beat the CLOWNS!! R u going to BOO BEN at the end of his career too?
How true!!!
Wes Hyers

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Apr 12, 2006
 
How true. Yes Ben is Better, but you gotta give Tommy some props. Hey, this guy is too old to be called Tommy! Can we call him Tom?
GDG09

Halstead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Apr 18, 2006
 
Patrick Lebowitz wrote:
Tommy sucks they should of never put him in. He never should of ben a steeler player. I hope they get rid of him.
HOW SOON THEY FORGET!
MaddoxFan

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Apr 27, 2006
 
Wow how quickly fans become so ungrateful. I know Tommy Maddox personally and I believe he has more courage and guts than most Pittsburgh fans deserve. He never gave up on his dreams to play again and he definitely deserves more credit than any of you could possibly bestow. What amazes me is that nearly lost his life on the field and several weeks later he put his armour back on and battle back on the grid iron. Tommy is a class act and a real hero regardless if he ever gets to play again. By the way, I was one who thought he would never make it back to the NFL but he proved me wrong. We could learn much from Tommy and learn how to chase our dreams. So long Pittsburgh.
Solid Steeler Fan wrote:
Only people who watch Steeler games with heart would know that Tommy Maddox, had something that all you naysayers don't and that is heart.. oh and btw.. he's still a frigin QB in this league.. and will catch on with a team and probably kick the snot out of us.. You better be careful steeler fans.. If you are a Charlie Batch backer you'd better remember when he was in Detroit (Lions)... I don't think the guy ever had a winning season there.. Maddox, led us to the playoffs and mentored Big BEN.. so if he sux so badly.. then why was Big BEN always talking to him on the sidelines.. huh?? Tommy...I wish you good luck in your future endeavors. Oh.. and one more thing.. for all the shotty steeler fans out there that trash someones house after a loss... Please MOVE to CLEVELAND!!!!!!!!!!
Don't think that stuff happened to Big BEN when he lost last year to New England in the AFC championship game...
One more thing..

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••