League rejects 'Hester rule' -- Sports, Super Bowl, National Fo...

Full story: Chicago Tribune

The NFL has no interest in doing Devin Hester any favors, so there will be no "Devin Hester rule" passed any time soon.
Comments
1 - 10 of 10 Comments Last updated Apr 3, 2008
Now Wait a Minute

Lansing, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2008

It would be nice if you could explain the performance based bonuses. This is the first I have ever heard of such a thing.
Who gets picked for compensation and why?
Greg

Costa Mesa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2008

Judged:

I think more teams are starting to try to convert 4th downs against da Bears rather than punt to Hester or shank one out of bounds.
BrownBomber

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2008

Judged:

Now Wait a Minute wrote:
It would be nice if you could explain the performance based bonuses. This is the first I have ever heard of such a thing.
Who gets picked for compensation and why?
It is for players making league minimum or some higher percentage of it (say lm + 50%)who are out playing that contract. You pay a guy like McBride a league minimum contract to basically be a filler for practices and special teams. When they are logging heavy minutes in games, they are deserving of compensation for contributing.

Since: Apr 08

Brookfield, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2008

Judged:

Players become eligible to receive Performance Based Pay in any season during which they play at least one down of the regular season.

Under the system, Performance Based Pay is computed by using a “Player Index.” To produce the index, a player’s regular season playtime (total plays on offense, defense and special teams) is divided by his adjusted regular season compensation (full season salary, prorated portion of signing bonus, earned incentives). Each player’s index is then compared to those of the other players on his team to determine the amount of his pay.

example is “Player A” in 2006 earning a salary of $600,000, playing in 50 percent of his team’s plays. His bonus would total approximately $60,000.“Player B” has a salary of $6 million and took part in a similar percentage of plays. His bonus would be approximately $6,000.
Bob Zani

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2008

Judged:

A rule I'd like to see- regardless of Hester- a team should be penalized if a punt does not land inbounds.It's done on kick-offs, why not on punts?
Now Wait a Minute

Lansing, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2008

Judged:

_DiMz_ wrote:
Players become eligible to receive Performance Based Pay in any season during which they play at least one down of the regular season.
Under the system, Performance Based Pay is computed by using a “Player Index.” To produce the index, a player’s regular season playtime (total plays on offense, defense and special teams) is divided by his adjusted regular season compensation (full season salary, prorated portion of signing bonus, earned incentives). Each player’s index is then compared to those of the other players on his team to determine the amount of his pay.
example is “Player A” in 2006 earning a salary of $600,000, playing in 50 percent of his team’s plays. His bonus would total approximately $60,000.“Player B” has a salary of $6 million and took part in a similar percentage of plays. His bonus would be approximately $6,000.
thanks for the explanation. It sounds ludicrous to me to do this. You sign a contract, you agree to it.
In Baseball they are cutting back on giving perfomance clauses for winning awards.
i guess i'm in the wrong business...
anyone wanna watch me sit at a computer and type?
newanarchy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2008

Bob Zani wrote:
A rule I'd like to see- regardless of Hester- a team should be penalized if a punt does not land inbounds.It's done on kick-offs, why not on punts?
Because punts and kick offs are different and always have been, I wish the great kickers of the past could show these new guys how to kick a "coffin corner kick" like the good old days, why has this skill been pushed to the wayside? In a game of field position you would think more guys could do it better.
Steven Wagner

Bradenton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2008

I would like some help with getting this to the NFL to consider changing the over time Rule.
Instead of havng the first team score to win the game I would like to see the clock set for another 15 min or 10 min and run the game out and who ever wins then wins the game. If it ends in another tie then set the clock to 1/2 of the orginal time set.

I would like to see this because first of all these guys are making TONS of money, 2nd it makes the game more interesting and exciting and it creates a level playing field for all teams instead of the odds going with one team. I just don't like the first team score concept and changing it could give any underdog team a chance to win the game.

I don't know of any other sport that has such a rule to win in a Professional Sport. With the kind of money these guys make they should earn that win.

Thank you for your time and I would appreciate anyones help with getting this to the NFL for review.
Steven Wagner

Bradenton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2008

I lived in Wisconsin and moved to Florida and now live here in Florida. I wanted to see if you can help me reach the NFL to consider changing the over time Rule.

Instead of havng the first team score to win the game I would like to see the clock set for another 15 min or 10 min and run the game out and who ever wins then wins the game. If it ends in another tie then set the clock to 1/2 of the orginal time set.

I would like to see this because first of all these guys are making TONS of money, 2nd it makes the game more interesting and exciting and it creates a level playing field for all teams instead of the odds going with one team. I just don't like the first team score concept and changing it could give any underdog team a chance to win the game.

I don't know of any other sport that has such a rule to win in a Professional Sport. With the kind of money these guys make they should earn that win. Also, my cousin Mike Wagner 23 who played for the Steelers grow up in the Chicago Area... great area... Thank you for your time and I would appreciate your help or direction on getting this to the NFL for review.
newanarchy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2008

Steven Wagner wrote:
I lived in Wisconsin and moved to Florida and now live here in Florida. I wanted to see if you can help me reach the NFL to consider changing the over time Rule.
I don't know of any other sport that has such a rule to win in a Professional Sport. With the kind of money these guys make they should earn that win. Also, my cousin Mike Wagner 23 who played for the Steelers grow up in the Chicago Area... great area... Thank you for your time and I would appreciate your help or direction on getting this to the NFL for review.
Sorry, I like it just the way it is. I'd be afraid that they would make overtime like the College game, I truly hate how they decide tied games.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Hunter Smith Discussions

Search the Hunter Smith Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Redskins cut holder who mishandled extra point (Dec '10) Dec '10 Josh McDaniels 3
Suisham in danger? (Dec '09) Dec '09 Jomama 1
Ex-Colts P Smith to join Redskins (Apr '09) Aug '09 TMD 6
Redskins' Punting Woes Could Get the Boot (Aug '09) Aug '09 Jeff 1
Peyton, Colts, come up empty (Jan '09) Jan '09 tone christine 7
Off on the right foot (Nov '08) Nov '08 Raider Nation 6
Colts starter goes down with injury (Aug '08) Aug '08 charles stone 6
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••