Change isn't always good

Change isn't always good

There are 15 comments on the The Morning Call story from Dec 23, 2007, titled Change isn't always good. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

For the first eight years of the Andy Reid era, the Eagles made nearly all the right moves when it came to keeping or parting with veteran players.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

John Welbourn

Bethlehem, PA

#1 Dec 23, 2007
Maybe Larry O'Rourke forgot why there is no John Welbourn on the Eagles anymore.
SmokersAreLosers

AOL

#2 Dec 23, 2007
....like getting rid of Garcia!!
Braxton

Ormond Beach, FL

#3 Dec 23, 2007
Eagles will have a better season next year and they shouldnt release or trade McNabb
Tom Glancey

Glen Allen, VA

#5 Dec 23, 2007
In a pass happy offense, I do not understand the resistance to having 2 solid WR's on the same roster. Our best WRs are good #2's - it seems the trend is to favor a WR core full of good 2's over a solid playmaker. Imagine how sick we would be if we had someone to draw doubles? Hopefully the address the WR position this offseason (again...).
Tom Glancey

Glen Allen, VA

#6 Dec 23, 2007
... oh, and anyone who thinks McNabb should go elsewhere (including front office, media, ...) I ask if you remember the following names: Bubby Brister, Ty Detmer, Koy Detmer, Rodney Peete, Bobby Hoying, Mike McMahon... Yeah, I know, we are all trying to forget them. Let's not go backwards, we should be so lucky as to have McNabb play his entire career in Midnight Green - healthy or not.
Huh

Allentown, PA

#7 Dec 23, 2007
Tom Glancey wrote:
... oh, and anyone who thinks McNabb should go elsewhere (including front office, media,...) I ask if you remember the following names: Bubby Brister, Ty Detmer, Koy Detmer, Rodney Peete, Bobby Hoying, Mike McMahon... Yeah, I know, we are all trying to forget them. Let's not go backwards, we should be so lucky as to have McNabb play his entire career in Midnight Green - healthy or not.
Absolutely. I just cannot understand the McNabb-haters. It's just way to hard to get/find top quality players... Eagle's inability year after year after year to solve the WR problem is evidence. Garcia was a starting QB...good, not great. Do these people think the front office can send a nice Christmas card to Brett & get him here?
Big D

Belton, TX

#8 Dec 23, 2007
Great article send it to Reid !!!!
Jake

Virginia Beach, VA

#9 Dec 24, 2007
One word to describe letting Donovan walk after this season would be INSANE. Who is going to come in a take the reigns? Kolb? Please give me a break...he is not the future of this franchise. Prediction: Kevin Kolb will amount to nothing more than a footnote in Eagles history the likes of Bobby Hoying...

All Donovan needs is a solid #1 receiver who can legitimately draw double coverage to free up Curtis and Brown. Don't forget the years when DMac actually had someone to throw to i.e. Owens or Stallworth...

We must find a way to get hold of Chad Johnson next year!
Kamarie

Rocky Mount, NC

#10 Dec 25, 2007
Braxton wrote:
Eagles will have a better season next year and they shouldnt release or trade McNabb
I agree 100%. McNabb is now healthy. If they trade him, they will go into a rebuilding process for three to four seasons. Plus, there are no available good quarterbacks out there to trade for. The organization will be really stupid to do that, and if I was Westbrook, I would be really pissed off. That would be a slap in his face. Add to this talent, get rid of the freak and Howard which was a waste of money.There will be plenty of teams out there that will take McNabb like Chicago or Minnesato. McNabb is Philly only answer now.

“ROLL TIDE”

Since: Dec 07

Rayville, LA

#11 Dec 25, 2007
I like the way the young Eagles have looked the last couple of weeks. A TE that can catch, Curtis has looked good, young LBs are very athletic and fast. I actually have hope for this team in the near future. I don't think we have to look for a QB, Kolb will be fine when he gets his chance. I say, keep McNabb and work Kolb in during the season to get some playing time. I'm not giving up on next season by no means, we have a good enough team to beat anybody. We do need a WR with SPEED. I bet Steve Smith will be looking for a way out of Carolina.
buzzsaw

Cape Coral, FL

#12 Dec 25, 2007
I agree, Donovan needs to see the Eagles get a #1 wide receiver, which would open the field for Curtis and Brown, and probably reduce the number of blitz's by the other team.

On another note, it's a little too easy for writers to list a free agent who is successful for another team, like Hood, and blame the team for not keeping that player. Name me one team that hasn't lost a key player to free agency that they would have like to kept. If the writes want the Eagles to go out and sign impact free agents from other teams, then it's only logical that they are going to lose impact players to other teams due to the salary cap.

It's the draft that seperates the good teams from the bad, and why the Eagles lack of production from their players first year has largely contributed to the birds not winning a super bowl. It seems Reid's picks always sit the bench their first year, yet other teams rookies start and make plays. Look at this years draft, while it may help down the road, isn't doing anything for this year, and we're not even going to the playoffs. The Eagles draft well enough to keep us close, just not good enough to get us a ring.

Since: Feb 07

Pen Argyl, PA

#13 Dec 25, 2007
The Eagles have been masters of keeping a player until just the right time, then cutting them loose. Burgess and ND Kalu looked good but both were injury concerns and also they had good depth. Rod Hood wanted to start, just like Al Harris. Neither would have stayed unless overpaid. All the others are inconsequential, except Stallworth. He is the only one they may have been wrong on.

Then look at the veterans they chose to keep: McNabb, Jon Runyan, Brian Dawkins, David Akers, Tra Thomas. That is their core and they did a great job there. All those guys deserve to retire as Eagles some day. Dawkins has one more good year left and that will be a really really tough decision.

Now they have to pay up for Westbrook and they had better get that done, now. As for draft picks, Winston Justice, Patterson, Shawn Bradley, and Bunkley are finally stepping up and proving themselves.

It will just take one more WR, another year of seasoning for our LB corps, one healthy year out of the secondary, one solid year out of McNabb, and just a little more depth. None of those are out of the question, and the Eagles should be contending next year.
Mel from Newport News Va

Omaha, NE

#14 Dec 26, 2007
We give up too many players and get little in return. We have lost Tyrell Owens, Dante Stallworth and Jabar Gaffney in the last 2-3 years. Donovan is not the problem Philly look at your front office. A town that lets Moses Malone go. Allan Iverson go. That dismantled the Phillies atfer a championship. They dealt Wilt away. Stop blaming the players for your failures. Stop buying cheesesteaks and booing Santa and open up your wallets
EXXXXXEADLES fan

Emmaus, PA

#15 Dec 26, 2007
It is time for Mcnabb and Reid to leave Philly....
It does'nt matter how they finish 2007....
it's time!!!!!!!!!!
Mel from Newport News Va

Omaha, NE

#16 Dec 26, 2007
Another twisted Philly fan. Andy Reid is one of the best coaches in the NFL. Donavan McNabb is one of the premier QB's in th NFL. Who makes personnel decisions? Get rid of this person. We need a deep threat w/o one no matter who the coach or QB is we will be saying the same things about them next year this time. Wake-up dude!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hollis Thomas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New Orleans Saints beat teams to the punch for ... (May '09) May '09 Mookie 2
News New Saints defensive tackle Rod Coleman said he... (Mar '09) Mar '09 Q-ROCK 1
News Saints Head Coach Discusses the Saints and Falcons (Nov '08) Nov '08 Q-ROCK 6
News Garcia out; Bucs turn to Griese (Sep '08) Sep '08 Joe Smith 5
News Saints' doc backs Hollis Thomas, but NFL bans him (Dec '06) Dec '06 HT FAN 1
News Give the Birds' draft a 'B' so far (May '06) Sep '06 LOU 2
News McNabb returns to the field feeling healthy (May '06) May '06 Michael Nathaniel... 2
More from around the web