Green Bay Packers receiver James Jone...

Green Bay Packers receiver James Jones looks to shake drops

There are 7 comments on the Oshkosh Northwestern story from Aug 7, 2011, titled Green Bay Packers receiver James Jones looks to shake drops. In it, Oshkosh Northwestern reports that:

James Jones wanted to be somebody's No. 1 receiver. Had the right situation presented itself in free agency, Jones almost certainly wouldn't be back in Green Bay now.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Oshkosh Northwestern.

PackerBacker-Wic hitaKs

Wichita, KS

#1 Aug 7, 2011
Sounds like JJ made the right decision for himself and for the Packers. I think he is set to have a big year. If his off-season work on trying to eliminate or minimize the dropped balls pans out. AR has confidence in him and often went back to him after a dropped pass. Keeping JJ and the return of Finley with the addition of Cobb, I believe, makes this the top recieving corp in the NFL. Should be enjoyable to watch.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#2 Aug 7, 2011
The Packer's receiving corp should certainly be among the NFL's best. If the offense hits on all cylinders this season it will be fun to watch. Better yet, if the defense stays (relatively) healthy and the young guys continue to improve, the team can go far again.
Jeremy

Mooreton, ND

#3 Aug 8, 2011
McCarthy has said he has the best hands on the team, but I think its mental thing.
eric

Arpin, WI

#4 Aug 8, 2011
I wonder if Randall Cobb will break the top here
Make the others better.Be the punt returner/kick returner they need,become a number 3 WR behind Jennings/Driver.
GJ and DD
Cobb,Nelson nd James Jones at a 5th? Hows that for depth!
thanks Ted Thompson!
TE.Someone on here had an article of preparing for J.Finley to leave after this year? interesting...
Do you let him go,knowing he will prob.have a career year and theres no reason to sign him as we won it last year w/o him and we are deeper at WR and should be better on the Oline.Ryan Grant may be in that catagory as well.
Josh Sitton ( 1 of the top 3 RG in the game)
BJ Raji if hes not the top NT,hes 2 maybe 3
Clay Mathews,see above
SO,do you let Finley go and use his money to help sign 1 of the above ( same with Ryan Grant,esp if Starks proves himself and Green plays well)
and i didnt throw in Ryan Pickett who i believe will be at that point as well
All FA either after this year or next but big bucks coming up and as far as i know the Packers are a decent amount under after cutting 5 vets for 19M freed then signing J.Jones and J.Kuhn
Jones 3 yrs 9+M
Kuhn 3 yrs 7.5m
so the cap used isnt a real lot depending on bonuses ect
eric

Arpin, WI

#5 Aug 8, 2011
I suppose they can Release Chad Clifton after the 11 season and free up a ton of money if Marshall Newhouse impresses or they find a legit LG and Sherrod can learn behind him or Sherrod kicks tail at LG and learns LT as well.
As ive stated,im a big Chad Clifton fan,he has been a tough sob and has played very well for GB at LT for over a decade and he has stated hes retiring after his contract ends ( 2012) and DD wants to play until hes 40,so theres a few big contracts that may go,or maybe TT lets them play it out,but,he did trade Brett Favre ( arguably a fan favorite at the time he was traded)so who knows.
Jeremy

Mooreton, ND

#6 Aug 8, 2011
eric wrote:
I wonder if Randall Cobb will break the top here
Make the others better.Be the punt returner/kick returner they need,become a number 3 WR behind Jennings/Driver.
GJ and DD
Cobb,Nelson nd James Jones at a 5th? Hows that for depth!
thanks Ted Thompson!
TE.Someone on here had an article of preparing for J.Finley to leave after this year? interesting...
Do you let him go,knowing he will prob.have a career year and theres no reason to sign him as we won it last year w/o him and we are deeper at WR and should be better on the Oline.Ryan Grant may be in that catagory as well.
Josh Sitton ( 1 of the top 3 RG in the game)
BJ Raji if hes not the top NT,hes 2 maybe 3
Clay Mathews,see above
SO,do you let Finley go and use his money to help sign 1 of the above ( same with Ryan Grant,esp if Starks proves himself and Green plays well)
and i didnt throw in Ryan Pickett who i believe will be at that point as well
All FA either after this year or next but big bucks coming up and as far as i know the Packers are a decent amount under after cutting 5 vets for 19M freed then signing J.Jones and J.Kuhn
Jones 3 yrs 9+M
Kuhn 3 yrs 7.5m
so the cap used isnt a real lot depending on bonuses ect
I was kinda baffled why GB chose two TE's in the draft. Is GB maybe gonna use Finely more as WR seeing as DD isn't getting any younger, Cobb has a long way to go missing rookie training camp. You could rest DD a little more often. I read an article stating that McCarthy has added 40 new plays for the offense. Put him in the slot and cross past the LB's with Finely. Oh the possibilities with this guy. I think GB would be wise to keep him if he breaks out into that kinda player this year. TT has done a wonderful job as far as cap space, and releasing the right players. I think GB will be just fine resigning their own stars in the future. I believe TT signed a three year extension.
eric

Arpin, WI

#7 Aug 8, 2011
Its been said GB signed 2 TE because they released Donald Lee ( so need a new one to replace him) and the other is the fact Finley is already barking about being the best TE in the NFL,the Packers believe he will go to break the bank and he does ( according to whats been said in papers ect) rub some the wrong way.Plus add the fact,they have some big time FA coming up very soon.( see above post) and not really a lot of money,( i fiqure without looking 15M or so) and losing Finley is better then losing Mathews,Sitton,Raji.Ryan Pickett is getting older and can be replaced IMO but i dont think Pickett will cost GB a ton of cash to resign.Ryan Grant is very consistant and a hell of a locker room guy but again,GB won the SB w/o him and hes a FA after this year and if James Starks proves to kick ass and Alex Green proves ok,Grant may be available,but, like Pickett i think he can be had a nice price and of course Donald Driver has 2 years left and hes a nice cap number and im thinking Cobb or Jones ( if he can stop the drops)will replace DD.TT is a very good GM as signing his own for sure and IMO amung the better GM's in the game and is good at setting up for not only the year coming but knowing whos a FA the coming up years and has that knack of finding guys to draft who will be there to replace the ones leaving, a great aspect to have.PITTSBURGH comes to mind as a great team in replacing lost FA players with their own drafted ones! NE is great at drafting but also grabbing players with picks trade back and forth.We Packer fans i would suspect are excited to get this going and go for the repeat,but, Philly ( on paper) as improved greatly and NE always has that knack of signing certain personality FA and having it work to perfection.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greg Jennings Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Which QB Is Under More Pressure in 2013, Andy D... (May '13) Feb '16 Fart news 38
News Miami Dolphins: What will be the role of Greg J... (May '15) Jun '15 tom wingo 37
News Dolphins hosting free agent WR Jennings (Apr '15) Apr '15 Finpoo 2
News Minnesota Vikings Rumors: Brandon Marshall a Po... (Feb '15) Feb '15 Soupoop 5
News Minnesota Vikings Would Be Wise To Part Ways Wi... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Tanked Johnson 1
News Rick Spielman's "8 Specific Needs" For The Offs... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Tug O Purple Wienerz 8
News Vikings Fall to 4-7, Where Can We Point The Fin... (Nov '14) Nov '14 Larry 6
More from around the web