Murphy: NFL owners want to continue t...

Murphy: NFL owners want to continue talks with players

There are 12 comments on the Kewaunee County story from Mar 15, 2011, titled Murphy: NFL owners want to continue talks with players. In it, Kewaunee County reports that:

Green Bay Packers president Mark Murphy said Tuesday the NFL owners' offer to the players union... - 7:32 pm A request by NFL players to keep the league and its teams from locking them out will be heard by a... - 5:54 pm Video: Greg Jennings Day in his hometown of Kalamazoo - 10:13 pm Green Bay Packers president Mark Murphy says NFL owners want to ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Kewaunee County.

GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#1 Mar 16, 2011
“The proposal we made was not a full collective bargaining agreement,” Murphy said.“It was the basis for future discussions.”

The owners indicated YEARS ago that they were going to opt out of the CBA. Yet they waited until a week after they started a lockout to make the first proposal that was NOT "a full collective bargaining agreement." Are we supposed to be impressed that they only demanded an extra $320 million above the billions they already receive? So that we all can pay for their new stadiums? Aren't the taxpayers already doing that for them? I can see why the players feel disrespected. The owners must think they can treat everybody like an idiot.
Tom Brady

Brooksville, FL

#2 Mar 16, 2011
Bull-shit !!!

The players have nothing to be worried about. We all have our college degrees to fall back on.
eric

Arpin, WI

#3 Mar 16, 2011
They need each other,BUT, there wouldnt be any football if not for the owners.Yes, there wouldnt be NFL without the millionaire players but,its the owners that make it possible.Both sides have their points,but,in the end,if there is no football next year, the biggest losers will be the many folks who work at the stadiums trying to support their respective families and that is the shame of it all.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#4 Mar 16, 2011
eric wrote:
They need each other,BUT, there wouldnt be any football if not for the owners.Yes, there wouldnt be NFL without the millionaire players but,its the owners that make it possible.Both sides have their points,but,in the end,if there is no football next year, the biggest losers will be the many folks who work at the stadiums trying to support their respective families and that is the shame of it all.
Good point. The owners aren't only breaking contracts with the players by locking them out. The owners are also locking out many others that rely on the NFL season for an income. Of course, the owners have also locked out the fans in the processm but let's all feel sorry for the billionaires that have locked everybody out because record profits aren't enough for them.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#5 Mar 17, 2011
Why did there ever need to be talks? The current system was extended multiple times. The players only receive a fixed percentage after the owners take the first billion. As long as the NFL continued to increase in popularity (and it has) EVERYBODY kept making more and more money. The existing arrangemnet has given NFL owners record profit and record popularity. The ONLY reason for talks is that the owners said that record amounts of money were not enough. This lockout is completely unnecessary. The owners need to end this now.
eric

Arpin, WI

#6 Mar 17, 2011
Record profits mean what later on though? Plenty of companies made money hand over fist for years and are broke ( telecom industry,silicon valley companies,many of whom are or have been closed or taken over ect)
Like i said,i can see both sides,but,if someone falls at the stadium,who pays for that? Not the players,the owners do.
point is expenses skyrocket and a huge profit now,may be shit in a few years.
Like is said,either way, the ones who suffer are the workers at teh stadium trying to support their families and i didnt include bar/resturant owners around the stadium, Motel./Hotel industry,rent a car and in some cases shopping malls and other retail plus taxes in the state/local area for folks gassing up and taxes on products sold
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#7 Mar 17, 2011
WTF? Later on? What does that matter? Lots of industries have had down times and the unions have made concessions then. Why not worry about that then? The NFL is at record high levels of profitability and popularity.

The oil industry is currently making record profits. Should we pay $6 a gallon because the poor owners need more? Should we say "Record profits mean what later on though?" and then pay $8 dollars a gallon?

The owners aren't hurting. And the Packers have 120,000 owners that contribute whenever the team needs money. I know. I'm one of them. I've done it before and I'll do it again. You worry about paying your rent and let people like me worry about the Packers finances.

As you said the ones that suffer the most are the regular people that rely on the NFL for their income. The owners have locked out those people and the fans also. There is no justifiable reason for the owners to screw everybody over this way. The taxpayers didn't build the owners all these new stadiums so that the owners would lock everybody out at times of record profits!

If and when the NFL starts losing money, I'll support the owners in an action like this. However, it's grossly and ridiculously greedy for the owners to do this at this time.
eric

Arpin, WI

#8 Mar 17, 2011
well, oil is at 100+ per barrel correct?They are making record profits,YET,some of YOUR DEMOCRATS say they would like 10 per gallon thinking it will stop the use of oil and kill the economy,well, it will kill the economy,but,people are still going to us gas for their cars wont they?
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#9 Mar 17, 2011
Is that your response? Lies? It figures. That's what you do best. Obviously you Republicans want the NFL owners to screw over every fan and all the people that need an NFL season to earn a living. Congratulations. You must be very proud.
eric

Arpin, WI

#10 Mar 18, 2011
Im not taking any side as i stated,the only ones screwed are the workers as i stated many times.Lies,Guess you werent paying attention when some of your dems stated,we wont get rid of oil until we get our oil prices at the pump up to 8-10 per gal.like it is in Europe and even the president ( when trying to push his carbon emmision plan) Admitted it would skyrocket utilities and fuel prices.
Is that your response when faced with actual facts and or common sense,calling someone a liar?,typical GBPfraud,cant stand the truth so call someone a liar or twist the words to fit your needs.
PackerBacker-Wic hitaKs

Wichita, KS

#11 Mar 18, 2011
eric wrote:
Im not taking any side as i stated,the only ones screwed are the workers as i stated many times.Lies,Guess you werent paying attention when some of your dems stated,we wont get rid of oil until we get our oil prices at the pump up to 8-10 per gal.like it is in Europe and even the president ( when trying to push his carbon emmision plan) Admitted it would skyrocket utilities and fuel prices.
Is that your response when faced with actual facts and or common sense,calling someone a liar?,typical GBPfraud,cant stand the truth so call someone a liar or twist the words to fit your needs.
Boys, boys, boys. I don't know all the ins and outs and all the arguments that you two do so I'll look at this as Joe Average fan. The owners have made a great investment in their prospective teams. The players make a great deal of money to perform for these investors. Shouldn't those who spend the up front investment make the most money off of that investment? I understand that the players are the product and bring fans to the stadiums and they are well compensated for that. I also understand that the players, especially those who retired long ago, need to have way better pensions and medical benefits. The players of the 60's thru the 90's built the NFL and made it the very popular sport it is today. It has made it so the players of the last 10-15 yrs. to make a living beyond their wildest dreams. This is a very big business that effects a lot people other than the owners and the players. Both sides are dealing with an astronomical amount of money, more than at anytime in the history of the league. Common sense will tell them not to screw up a good thing. Joe Average fan wants to see you all get this figured out. As investors the owners should receive the larger percentage of the profit like any owner of any business would. Their employees (players) are paid very well. Quit haggling and figure it out.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#12 Mar 18, 2011
MY POINT was that industries that have record profits don't need their owners making more. That includes the NFL and oil industry. You are the one that defended owner greed by saying "Record profits mean what later on though?"

Unlike you I'm not an ignorant sheep that is led by morons at the top of a political party. I think and reason for myself. That's why I don't do stupid and inconsistent things like claiming to care about the people that are locked out AND defending the lockout at the same time. It's simple for reasonable and intelligent people. Either you support the lockout or you don't. Typical eric BS of trying to have things both ways and displaying zero consistency or logic in the process.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greg Jennings Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Which QB Is Under More Pressure in 2013, Andy D... (May '13) Feb '16 Fart news 38
News Miami Dolphins: What will be the role of Greg J... (May '15) Jun '15 tom wingo 37
News Dolphins hosting free agent WR Jennings (Apr '15) Apr '15 Finpoo 2
News Minnesota Vikings Rumors: Brandon Marshall a Po... (Feb '15) Feb '15 Soupoop 5
News Minnesota Vikings Would Be Wise To Part Ways Wi... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Tanked Johnson 1
News Rick Spielman's "8 Specific Needs" For The Offs... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Tug O Purple Wienerz 8
News Vikings Fall to 4-7, Where Can We Point The Fin... (Nov '14) Nov '14 Larry 6
More from around the web