Green Bay Packers president Mark Murphy, general manager Ted Thompson ...

Jul 29, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Green Bay Press-Gazette

The Green Bay Packers raised the standards for their fans and followers last season, and they know it.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of56
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
GBPfan

Fountain, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2010

Judged:

It's about time that the Packers have some high expectations. I've been encouraging Packer fans to have high expectations for 5 years. It's been nothing but excitement about nothing since Ted Thompson became GM. Ted has turned many fans into copies of Viking fans. Like Viking fans, they usually have low expectations and get excited about minor accomplishments. Hopefully, the fans won't only have high expectations, but will also hold management accountable if they produce the usual failure.
Danger

Sioux Falls, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2010

It's going to be a tough year. We have a hell of a schedule (as does everyone in the North). We won't be able to bank on a Wild Card berth this year, given the higher level of competition, so we've got to come to play every week.
I am excited about the possibilities, though. We didn't do much to improve the D off-season, so that's a concern. Hopefully the rookies from last year (Jones, Raji, Mathews) will mature as should be expected. Also, we should be stronger in the early part of the season since we're not learning a new D this year.
Go Pack!
BigGil

Madison, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2010

GBPfan, why do you hate on Ted so badly? And be precise please. A broadbrushed answer of "he sucks" is not suffice. He's not Ron Wolf, but I just don't understand the hate on the man that you have....
eric

Monroe, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2010

Judged:

Well coach Mc, stated this is the best team ive had here,so hes drawing attention there and if they dont go12-4, 13-3 ect who knows and hes mentioned Super Bowl,so if the Packers dont get there,they obviously underachieved in McCarthys mind. He seems optimistic big time,so again if they underachieve,it could be his job and maybe Ted;s who knows.
Problem is the Packers profits have dropped each of the last few years,as player costs have gone up and the Packers cant draw cash from adeep pocket like others do,so id imagine thats part of the reason why the Packers didnt go out and sign a big time FA.
2 years ago the Packers profit was 30M or so
last year it was 9M or so. Just an opinion of mine of some of the reason why Green Bay or Ted wont sign big time FA although he has in the past and hit on them big time.
Charles Woodson
Ryan Pickett
Brandon Chilar
Ryan Grant ( he was a trade but for a 6th round pick,not a bad deal at all )
there has to be a concern to a certain degree about costs ect.

Since: Aug 10

Madison, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2010

Judged:

Most teams are optimisitic at this time of the year. If they are to keep their players pumped they have to be optimistic.

If the team flails and fails, then maybe Mike's head rolls. If TT fails to do something about the failure, then TT may roll as well.

But when I look at TT's drafts, trades, and signings, I just cannot hate on the guy. This team is not the Rams. They're 5 or 6 in power rankings, went to the playoffs last year even after the OLine got killed in the 1st half. They are considered a good team where some even have predicted them winning the division. Why would we then gamble on firing TT to pick up who knows who who could bury the team with bad management. I don't get the hate on a man who has managed his team to be competitive.
GBPfan

Fountain, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2010

Judged:

BigGil wrote:
GBPfan, why do you hate on Ted so badly? And be precise please. A broadbrushed answer of "he sucks" is not suffice. He's not Ron Wolf, but I just don't understand the hate on the man that you have....
I've said it many times. I don't hate Ted Thompson. I imagine he is a decent guy that has tried to help the Packers. I no more hate Ted Thompson for being a poor GM than I hate Jeremy Kapinos for being a poor punter. However, because I am a Packer fan I want the Packers to do better. Whether the Packers need a better punter or better GM I want it for the PACKERS!

Ever since Ted Thompson took over it seems the expectations are low and the hopes are high. This is because nobody really expects the Packers to accomplish anything under TT's mismanagement. We all hope that TT's crappy management style will miraculously work. Then when it doesn't, many fans have ready excuses for the failure that they clearly anticipated.

High expectations mean that real results are anticipated and expected. Have Packer fans really anticipated or looked forward to losing the division to the Vikings and Bears 4 of 5 seasons? Have Packer fans expected usually missing the playoffs? Accepting such failure does not meet the definition of having HIGH EXPECTATIONS!

It is time that the Packers and fans have HIGH EXPECTATIONS! I'm tired of the culture of losing created by Ted Thompson where expectations are low, few people expect real results, and excuses are much more plentiful than results.

The facts are that the Packers are 43-40 under TT's mismanagement. The Packers have lost the division 4 of 5 seasons and have usually missed the playoffs. That is Ted's record. By an reasonable measure that is failure and Ted has moved the team backward. The people that think the Packers will turn things around under TT's mismanagement are engaged in wishful thinking. Hoping won't make it so. If you want change you need to change things and it starts at the top. That is why I want Ted replaced.
GBPfan

Fountain, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2010

Judged:

BigGil wrote:
See Eric's post above for a perfect example of low expectations. See how he already anticipates failure and has begun building excuses for the failure he anticipates. Oh the poor, poor Packers can't afford to be competitive. Yet other small market teams (without 30,000 on the season ticket waiting list and without shareholders to periodically restock the coffers) have very effectively utilized trades and free agency. The Vikings have done very well and, of course, the current Super Bowl champs used trades and free agency to build a champion in the small market of New Orleans. I doubt that Saints fans are stockpiling excuses for failure this season. They shouldn't and no team should.

Perhaps a good GM can bring high expectations back to Green Bay.
GBPfan

Fountain, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2010

Judged:

Nitschke_Nightmare_66 wrote:
Why would we then gamble on firing TT to pick up who knows who who could bury the team with bad management.
Of course, there is always the possibility that the team moves backward when a new GM is hired. The Packers and their fans saw that happen the last time we hired a new GM. Hiring a better GM than Ted should be easy. This time we may get a GM capable of doing well in the postseason instead of one that only does well in the offseason power rankings. However, if you want the failure to continue it is simple: DO NOTHING! If you want change it will only happen by changing things.

Madison, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2010

Judged:

I've always held high expectations. I've never met anybody with low expectations either. Not one, unless they're a fan of another team. Who are these people with low expectations? The team has improved over time, not the other way around. A lot of injuries have hurt us over those years, but GB is not only hoping to be a good team this year, they're EXPECTED to be a good team this year, again. I'm not sure where you're getting this pessimism from. TT didn't take a great team and make them bad. The pack had a bad 2005 and 2008, but we also were shorted by significant injuries like Nick Barnett, Bigby, Clifton, Woody, to name a few. Took a team over the cap and brought them under the cap. Remember, he had the youngest team in the league in the NFC Championship game. And even after that terrible INT, he gave the diva 3 chances to come back which he was told "NO", ended up drafing more QB's and low and behold made the right move on the diva problem as the QB that he drafted to replace Brent ended up being a really good QB at a bargain in the draft.

Madison, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2010

Judged:

A GM capable of doing well in the post season???
Are you saying Thompson is doing nothing???
Woodson just showed up one day to play?
Thompson injured Barnett?

Are you only capable of holding TT responsible for everything?

If you're gonna make the claim that getting a good GM is easy, then you for surely are holding the wrong guy accountable...
FUNNY

Marshfield, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2010

A-The-Rod stat boy. Puts up numbers and wins nothing.Remember you guys say the same of Cutler. Its The Rods 3rd year starting so no more excuses. Injuries happen to every team. Teddy just failed to have good enough back ups. Last year as the GB paper said they got full of themselves sounds like its happening again. And when they dont win we all will hear the same excuses injury, new this or that, or they are young, only his 3rd year. LMAO

Madison, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2010

Judged:

So you're angry at Ted, not the guy who hired Ted.
When big time players are injured, it's again, Ted.
You're silent on the good trades and drafts done by Ted. I have not read one example where a trade was wrong, where a draft pick was wrong. You have not given one example of what he did wrong, only generalized that he sucks with excuses of fans having low expectations, which itself isn't true.

All you have are issues that are caused by a broad range of causes. Instead of pinpointing those, lets just point the finger at Ted and be done with it. That is very, very weak...

The reason you were asked not to broadbrush because too many Favre-fanatics blame Ted for that mess when in reality Ted did everything in his power to do it right. Too many times Ted is hated only for the Diva episode. In the end he did what he had to do. And it really must hurt those haters when Aaron turned out to be a great QB and proved Ted wasn't the loser they want him to be.
GBPfan

Fountain, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2010

Judged:

First, the Packers made the playoffs 10 of 12 seasons prior to TT, including the 4 seasons immediately prior. The 3 seasons prior the Packers won the division. A 43-40 record, losing the division to the Vikings and Bears 4 of 5 seasons, and usually missing the playoffs is failure by any objective standard.

If you and others truly EXPECT a Super BOwl this year, are you going to REALLY expect it? Or is it merely hope? The difference is that you will not tolerate the continued failure if you really have high expectations. If it is merely hogh hopes, you will continue to make excuses for the failure. And we'll be back next year with people again saying: "This is a make or break year for Thompson and McCarthy ." This pattern has grown old.

BTW the Packers team that played in the NFC Championship was made up of players drafted by TT's predecessors. All of the veteran team leaders on that team were drafted prior to TT's arrival. The notion that TT's players have greatly improved the team is clearly not true. That was amply displayed last year when the team was sinking like a rock until Tauscher and Clifton returned.

Having the youngest team year after year is proof of poor drafting, not the reverse.

Also, don't point to one good decision by TT to support the failure. A GM's job is to build a championship TEAM. It is not merely to keep the QB position strong, which TT has clearly done. If you have any doubts about that, I suggest you have a conversasion with Dan Marino, Fran Tarkenton, Dan Fouts, or any of the many other great QBs that never were Champions.

Madison, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2010

Judged:

Again, "Funny" right there with another meritless post. Injuries do happen to every team. Injuries will cause a team to flail too regardless of team. Depite Aaron getting the shit kicked out of him for the 1st half of the season, he still only threw 7 picks by seasons end. Aaron has proved his worth as a legit QB, so not sure why he needs these excuses you're referring to. Funny, you're a terrible troll with very thin knowledge of what you're discussing... Can I laugh at my own post now? LMMFAO!!!
FUNNY

Marshfield, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2010

Draft picks. All of ted's O-Line picks that were suppose to take over. Of which just 2? are playing. Not sure of the number but the ones he picked over the years very very few have taken over like he drafted them to do. That was the reason for the mess there 2 years in a row. And NOBODY ON THIS STORY HAS MENTIONED FAVRE BUT YOU. GET OVER IT!
GBPfan

Fountain, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2010

Judged:

The reason you were asked not to broadbrush because too many Favre-fanatics blame Ted for that mess when in reality Ted did everything in his power to do it right. Too many times Ted is hated only for the Diva episode.
I totally agree. The change in QBs has worked out well. A change had to made at some point. I don't see how TT can be faulted at all! Not for THAT decision. However, too many fans support Ted and his failure also based on nothing more than the Favre situation. That is equally ridiculous. As I have pointed out, no one decision should substitute for winning and success.

Broadbrush? How much more specific can I possibly be? I have been clear that I expect better results for the Packers and I have detailed why. Why don't you specifically state why you support Ted and his failure? Can you do it without mentioning Favre?

Madison, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2010

Judged:

As you yourself has said GBPfan, they have high expectations. And that equates to a poor GM how?

His team, the youngest in the league, went to the NFC Championship game. That equates to a poor GM how? That means a majority of his moves have worked out.

In my eyes, he's putting a winning team on the field for the smallest market in professional sports. That's all that's needed to justify why I support him. It's because of that high expectation which is why your disapproval is being called out. If we were the Rams you'd have little argument for your views, and then you could call me out for my support over him. But that's not the case here...
FUNNY

Marshfield, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2010

Lets use the IF'S like they like to. They use the Favre thing to support Ted. What would they be saying IF it would have turned out badly. These want it both way fans would be b****ing then. They like to pick and choose to support what they want. And brush the bad things (like GBPfan states under the rug). Last year from GB all we heard was we like it under the rador. Now they are yapping super bowl. Sounds like the vikings Super bowl or bust.

Madison, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2010

Judged:

FUNNY wrote:
Draft picks. All of ted's O-Line picks that were suppose to take over. Of which just 2? are playing. Not sure of the number but the ones he picked over the years very very few have taken over like he drafted them to do. That was the reason for the mess there 2 years in a row. And NOBODY ON THIS STORY HAS MENTIONED FAVRE BUT YOU. GET OVER IT!
Yeah, so in your eyes, every single pick has to be star quality to be a good GM? Really? Why am I wasting my time with you?

Very few???
Greg Jennings, Jermichael Finley, Aaron Rodgers, Clay Matthews, Nick Collins, Jolly (when healthy and not in legal trouble, but I suppose Ted was supposed to know this too), Jordy Nelson, and BJ Raji looks to be a good pick up too. I suppose there's an argument that Pickett and Woodson were terrible trades too...

And explain to me what I need to get over about the Favre trade? I'm not the one hung up on him or that trade. But there are plenty of TT haters who are... Please start making legitimate arguments any time now...
GBPfan

Fountain, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2010

Judged:

As you yourself has said GBPfan, they have high expectations. And that equates to a poor GM how?
His team, the youngest in the league, went to the NFC Championship game. That equates to a poor GM how? That means a majority of his moves have worked out.
In my eyes, he's putting a winning team on the field for the smallest market in professional sports. That's all that's needed to justify why I support him. It's because of that high expectation which is why your disapproval is being called out. If we were the Rams you'd have little argument for your views, and then you could call me out for my support over him. But that's not the case here...
Again, don't confuse high hopes with high expectations. Prove that you have high EXPECATIONS by expecting and demanding results this season.

And again, it wasn't the young players that led the team to the NFC Championship game. Half the starters and all of the veteran leaders were drafted by previous GMs. The next season when TT's young players became the majority(and only a handful of pre-TT players remained) the Packers won 7 fewer games.

If 2007 is your only reason to support TT, perhaps you should reevaluate your "expectations" and whether they are really being met.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of56
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••