Worthy choice wasn't the right choice

Worthy choice wasn't the right choice

There are 305 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Dec 13, 2008, titled Worthy choice wasn't the right choice. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

NEW YORK T he Heisman Trophy is supposed to go to the "Most Outstanding Player" in college football.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 16
Next Last
Tebow is a JOKE

Debary, FL

#1 Dec 13, 2008
Tebow is not the greatest, he did not deserve it last year nor did he deserve it this year. Just like in 2006 how can the number 3 ranked team play the number 1? I'll tell you they did not want a rematch between Ohio and Michigan, same goes for this year, it should be Texas NOT Florida, you writers in this state are SOOOO bias to the state its sick, learn about SPORTS, reports them this is not a high school news paper were you have to share the love about the team. Bottom line Florida ROBBED to teams out of the BCS national game.
Carl

Atlanta, GA

#2 Dec 13, 2008
If you were a high school senior and got an 890 on your SAT's, would you get into the University of Florida?
Mr Man

Winter Haven, FL

#3 Dec 13, 2008
ummmm Mike, Tebow was aided by his ENTIRE offensive line when he scored that TD against FSU... don't act like he did it all by himself
Keith

Woodway, TX

#5 Dec 13, 2008
Okay...a couple of quick thoughts....First, you said, "Bradford won because of his gaudy passing numbers, many of which were accumulated at the end of blowout victories against outmanned Big 12 defenses." But, in reality most of his stats came in the first two quarters of games. In fact, I believe the 4th quarter was the worst quarter statistically for the OU offense and Bradford sat out quite a bit in the 4th quarters of games. I might be wrong, but that is my guess. It is still to be seen if Big 12 defenses are really that bad, or SEC offenses are really not that good. Secondly, why would Tebow not come back? Where does he fit in at the pro level? Please do not say QB, because Tebow is not a QB at the pro level. The defenses at that level are faster than Tebow, bigger than Tebow and do a good job of reading telegraphed passes, which he appears to like to throw. He is a great college player and an even greater person, but I'm not sure the next level really has a spot for him to excel. I would agree with you that the Tebow lovefest backfired and cost him the Heisman and I can't say I'm sorry about that. He is a great college player, but I'm not sure it extends much past that.
TDM

Sherman Oaks, CA

#6 Dec 13, 2008
Bianchi...

You continue to be an example of why the Orlando Sentinel is a horrible newspaper. Sure, you write a column and are expected to bring your voice to that column, but to imply that Tebow got screwed out of the Heisman is absurd.

You're a hack of a columnist. Just once write something positive about UCF instead of always shilling for the Gators. GFY.

TDM
Jerry

United States

#7 Dec 13, 2008
"The Heisman is not about stats, but about moments and memories?" WOW!!!
"Bradford got his stats at the end of Big XII games?"

How about 4th qtr points?
Florida: 134
Oklahoma: 93
Looks like UF scored more "end of game points" than OU to me. Did you do any research?
Jerry

United States

#8 Dec 13, 2008
Oh yeah, and Bradford sat out 10 quarters. That equals 2 1/2 games.

I guess Barry Sanders should NOT have won the Heisman because he only had tremendous stats. No "moments and memories." I smell a bigtime UF homer bias.
Tallynole

Tallahassee, FL

#9 Dec 13, 2008
Good grief Mike, you act as if there is no other player on earth besides Timmy. You say Bradford got it because of gaudy numbers, okay, then why did Tebow get it last year? Did he make any tear jerking speeches after his losses to Auburn or LSU? Did he LEAD the team or did he just lead the team in unbelievable stats. Truth be told, I was hoping Tim would have won. Two things, the QB who wins and the faces the loser in the NC, loses'. Secondly, maybe he would take his surgeon assistant skills to the next level and leave my poor Seminoles alone. Mikey, Tebow is a great player, but he's not the only player. What cracks me up about you UF folk is that you think if something doesn't go your way or if the fans "boo" a popular player when he gets hurt, that it is blasphemy. Well get over yourselves, not everyone is a Florida Gator.
jdj

Oklahoma City, OK

#10 Dec 13, 2008
i absolutely hate texas and equally dislike tim tebow. but texas,usc, and texas tech deserve to be in the nc game before the gators. you all lost to ole miss at HOME. the worst loss of any one loss teams in this discussion. sure u play in the sec. sure u play tough defenses. the only reason. the defenses look good is because the offenses suck. florida is the only school that has one and it started with spurrier. when he spreaded all those teams out during his tenure and meyer is the only person smart enough in that good ole boy conference to do the same. florida would be 3rd place in the big twelve south. texas has better players and athletes than florida. and tebow is a joke qb. a gimmick if i may. dude cant read a defense to save his life. floridas coaching staff knows that. thats why they run all that misdirection crap. what is harvin a reciever or running back? he'll go to the nfl but will be a special teams return man at best. dont talk about the big twelve not having defense either. sam,colt,graham,zac,chase,rees ing,the kid robert griffin out of baylor,and josh freeman out of ksu all be at the next level. crabtree, maclin, and dez bryant, dezmond briscoe, chase coffman, jermaine gresham.all first day picks whenever they leave. florida would be 50-60th if they played in the big 12 easy. and plus this guy is talking about sam padding his stats. if your seeing 8-9 man fronts like sams seeing how come u dont play little pitch and catch? im sure he was singing a different tune last year when tebow had some 20-20 td season last year. is tebow supposed to win all the heismans? im sick of the gators. just show up in miami.
Jack

United States

#11 Dec 13, 2008
When certain people left Tebow completely off their ballots, it is obvious that they were trying to scew the vote. There ballots should have been disqualified. Either that, or the ballots should have only contained the top three people so that the voters would have been compelled to vote for each of the candidates either 1st, 2nd or 3rd.
Bob

Phoenix, AZ

#12 Dec 13, 2008
I love how Tebow's one touchdown performance in a loss to an Average Miss. State team at home suddenly becomes a positive because of his speech afterword. In Bradford's one loss to Texas he threw 5 touchdown passes.
Jack

United States

#13 Dec 13, 2008
By the way, I read some of these posts. It seems that some people have made an idol out of football and worship it. How else can you explain all the sour grapes. Can you believe that they are saying Florida didn't belong in the 2006 NC game after it demolished Ohio State? I think some of these commentors are hopeless drunks.
Dick Hertz

Wichita, KS

#14 Dec 13, 2008
Jealous much Bianchi? I am a Sooner fan and Colt McCoy was more worthy than Tebow and Bradford. Tebow is a great player for a great team and is a great kid, heck they all three are. What got Tebow to NYC to begin with was his squalling after Ole Miss whipped them at home which was the worst loss of all three teams. Fla is lucky OU and Texas aren't playing. If you looked at all three teams with one loss the Florida loss was by far the worst. We will see on January 8th.
parker

Crofton, MD

#15 Dec 13, 2008
Bianchi....you're an idiot. You shouldn't even be writing for a high school newspaper.
Eli

Atlanta, GA

#16 Dec 13, 2008
Jevon Snead was robbed!!
KilroyFSU

Pueblo, CO

#17 Dec 13, 2008
Stop it Bianchi. Nobody cheered Harvin's injury. I was in the FSU student section. We cheered the tackle for loss. Then silence. Then we (not me, but alot of people) booed Tebow for jumping around and using the injury to motivate his teammates. Nobody cheered the injury, though, and to say otherwise is a lie.
michael

Port Orange, FL

#18 Dec 13, 2008
Something smells fishy when Tim gets the most 1st place yet comes in 3rd. Sounds like some folks left him off the ballot entirely...

Clearly the best player this year, at the least among those 3. Doesn't appear to be much difference among Harrell, McCoy or Bradford really. They all do the same things. They are all products of their respective systems (a lot of QBs can do what they do). Tebow is the system.

“Gators: 06, 08 Nat'l Champions”

Since: Dec 06

New Port Richey, Florida

#19 Dec 13, 2008
Well I was there too and sure sounded like you were cheering. For a long time. All the way until he got off the field at which point quite a few booed.

Trying to cover up the classlessness doesn't usually work. We were a bit mad at that and so was Tebow.

But you've taken your beating. And the one coming next year as well.

Go Gators!

Oh, and Tebow did deserve the Heisman. But who cares? He'll be back next year and an NC ring is much better than a Heisman.
michael

Port Orange, FL

#20 Dec 13, 2008
McCoy, Harrell and Bradford are cookie-cutters.

How many games did Tebow sit out the 4th quarter rather than trying to pad his stats?
Jimmy

Windermere, FL

#21 Dec 14, 2008
Bianchi,
I used to defend your rabble-rousing. That was until the O'Leary firing article. That column was flat-out ludicrous and the only reason I will ever click on a link of yours again is to tell you what a hack of a writer you are. I hope you get laid off because your company went bankrupt. I don't just say that to make a point. I am dead serious. I hope you lose your job.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Graham Harrell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mike McCarthy: He should be Coach of the Year (Jan '14) Feb '14 40for60 25
News Green Bay Packers: Ted Thompson says approach w... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Laughing bear Fan 5
News Bob McGinn: Green Bay getting left behind by NF... (Jan '14) Jan '14 GBPfan 1
News Green Bay Packers: Team needs a backup for the ... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News Battle for backup quarterback job isn't over yet (Aug '13) Aug '13 Laughing Bear Fan 6
News Packers cut Graham Harrell; Vince Young moves t... (Aug '13) Aug '13 GBPfan 1
News Jeff Falconio: Packers-Seahawks: Early analysis (Aug '13) Aug '13 GBPfan 2
More from around the web