Greatness and inconsistency - Hawaii ...

Greatness and inconsistency - Hawaii Sports

There are 21 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Jul 15, 2009, titled Greatness and inconsistency - Hawaii Sports. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

What is the legacy of Timmy Chang? Do you focus on the career passing record, and leave it at that? Maybe you embrace him for being synonymous with University of Hawaii football for the better part of five years.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
elijahhawaii

Easley, SC

#1 Jul 15, 2009
So he is using that cell phone he stole to text from OCCC ??? The article is not clear.
ESPI

Honolulu, HI

#2 Jul 15, 2009
Us fans watching Timmy,I think we can all agree he was a local real charismatic passing quarterback who hold the all time passing record. He made us proud!!!
alice

Wahiawa, HI

#3 Jul 15, 2009
whats the follow up story on his assault charge?
Timmy Chang Fan

Honolulu, HI

#4 Jul 15, 2009
Here's the thing about Timmy Chang .... He was the BIG TIME LOCAL BOY BLUE CHIPPER that Hawaii fans want to keep here in the islands and not sign to go to the mainland. So he does and what Hawaii fans did when they booed him several times when he struggled showed how pathetic TOO MANY people are in Hawaii. So when an "amatuer status" athlete who is young 19-21 yrs playing college football struggles, HAWAII WILL TURN ON THEIR OWN? UNBELIEVABLE !!! Hawaii fans need to understand LOYALTY because Timmy was not a professional athlete playing for Hawaii. He was a college student who was a GREAT Quarterback who stayed home to play for the home team. He was always a role model who made some mistakes like anyone else. He was always AWESOME TO FANS.
alice

Kahului, HI

#5 Jul 15, 2009
ESPI wrote:
Us fans watching Timmy,I think we can all agree he was a local real charismatic passing quarterback who hold the all time passing record. He made us proud!!!
He never made me proud. He was just another football thug using the uH to get his way. He played in the minors and showed it when he went to the pros and bombed out.
Alice b

Hilo, HI

#6 Jul 15, 2009
alice wrote:
<quoted text>He never made me proud. He was just another football thug using the uH to get his way. He played in the minors and showed it when he went to the pros and bombed out.
Football thug? Threw a cell phone on a roof when the bi t ch kept filming? Why was she filming in the first place? Because she doesn't have a life. Waterloo, Canada? Local? haha. Canuck. Eh, eh.
Demander

AOL

#8 Jul 15, 2009
Timmy was the local boy who stayed home and played for his State! He put Hawaii on the map,(has Michigan State returned to Hawaii?) I still shed a tear when I remember those boos at Aloha Stadium. That was a simple act of pure "no class" from those fans who booed. I still have my Timmy Chang jersey. He will always be one of my UH all time favorites. He had many options, he stayed home and played for the people of Hawaii. I respect and appreciate Timmy Chang. Timmy's accomplishments made it is easy for Colt Brennan and those who will follow to attend the University of Hawaii and play football.
Oahu Portagee

Aiea, HI

#9 Jul 15, 2009
Timmy provided for some great moments - no doubt about that. But #16 greatest UH player??? I don't think so. One simply CANNOT be the number one interception leader of all-time (regardless of his yards) and be considered a top 20 player. And remember, many of Timmy's "yards" were compliments of Chad Owens, who took short passes, and busted them open for another 20 yards. Timmy simply lacked the field vision that Colt had, and he simply was not as accurate.

Like I said, he was a decent QB, and he provided some exciting times. But #16??? I think not.

“s'up”

Since: Sep 07

Davis, CA now King City, CA

#10 Jul 15, 2009
Oahu Portagee wrote:
Timmy provided for some great moments - no doubt about that. But #16 greatest UH player??? I don't think so. One simply CANNOT be the number one interception leader of all-time (regardless of his yards) and be considered a top 20 player. And remember, many of Timmy's "yards" were compliments of Chad Owens, who took short passes, and busted them open for another 20 yards. Timmy simply lacked the field vision that Colt had, and he simply was not as accurate.
Like I said, he was a decent QB, and he provided some exciting times. But #16??? I think not.
People often vote out of sentimentality. Then again, if they rate him #16 all time UH, that tells volumes of what the overall talent base has been at UH considering he threw more INTs than any other college QB. Exciting, yes. Accurate passer? Not so much. He did accomplish quite a bit given the tools at his disposal.
NUMBER ONE

Honolulu, HI

#11 Jul 15, 2009
Tim Chang is the number one ranked quarterback as far as not to cerebral. After 4 years, he still made bad decisions and threw into coverages.
Couldn't read defenses and made up his mind (telegraph) where he was going to throw before he took the snap.
Rolovich exposed him and JJ...Good guy but not #16.
I agree with portagee.
Robin Hood

Honolulu, HI

#12 Jul 15, 2009
Chang should be best known for still being able to fling a camera on a hot tin roof in Pearlridge. Still got the arm, brah.
Tim Chang-- INT King

Honolulu, HI

#13 Jul 15, 2009
All time passing leader, what a joke. Scoring is what counts, not yardage. Chang threw for so many yards because his teams were always losing and playing from behind.
The *record* number of interceptions is his true legacy- demonstrates his inconsistency & poor decision making.
Bottom line: A QB with average skills, not particularly bright, who just is not a winner.
Those of you who think he's a hero need to raise your standards.
warriorfan

Honolulu, HI

#14 Jul 15, 2009
Timmy Chang is so overrated. I don't know what was so great about him, Colt was way better!!!!!!!!
Lizzie

Honolulu, HI

#15 Jul 15, 2009
COLT BRENNAN is the best!
Bob

AOL

#16 Jul 15, 2009
T. Chang and Colt are both examples of running up great stats against weak teams and faultering against good teams. Chang did not make it and neither will colt. Lou Holtz said it best refferin to Colt.........."I AM NOT IMPRESSED" Jones will not make it at SMU either.........they demand the best and Jones does not have it.
Blue Bomber Fan

Winnipeg, Canada

#17 Jul 15, 2009
This guy could have been a star. Much like Flutie was in the CFL.
He just never looked like he cared. Too bad. He had all the talent in the world
but when it counted, he never delivered.
We look forward to seeing Colt here next year as well.
Loser

United States

#18 Jul 15, 2009
"Chang Greatness and inconsistency"

"Incosistency" was the major factor of him not making it in the NFL and those who thought he had an arm? please... since retiring from Football(what career)? if he had one...so now he came back home got arrested...he might get hired at UH or Stevedores (were the rest of the UH football players works who couldn't make it in the NFL).
Lizzie

Honolulu, HI

#19 Jul 15, 2009
alice wrote:
whats the follow up story on his assault charge?
What assault charge? He's in for something much worse...than an assault charge. And I don't know why it's not on the news!
jay

Honolulu, HI

#20 Jul 16, 2009
Timmy would have been great at Kaiser HS. Actually would have been a legend at Nanakuli!! Lucky OIA he was a Crusader and won twice against Kamehameha.
dropped pass

Honolulu, HI

#21 Jul 16, 2009
Oahu Portagee wrote:
Agree, he was good, not great - more of a pretty boy who looked good when there was no pressure. His failure to deliver on crucial third downs drove coaches and fans crazy. His low tolerance to pain and questionable work ethics and lack of true leadership qualities added to his woes. He had hard time holding on to his starting job even when JJ begged him to. Just look at how many games he actually DIDN"T start or play in his 4 seasons. If Robinson had another year of eligibility or Rolovich didn't start off so bad, Tammy "pretty boy" Chang would have been just another footnote. Yes, he did good as a local boy and he didn't desrve the boos from the obnoxious crowd, but he certainly doesn't deserve to be in top 20 of greatest UH players

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Graham Harrell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mike McCarthy: He should be Coach of the Year (Jan '14) Feb '14 40for60 25
News Green Bay Packers: Ted Thompson says approach w... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Laughing bear Fan 5
News Bob McGinn: Green Bay getting left behind by NF... (Jan '14) Jan '14 GBPfan 1
News Green Bay Packers: Team needs a backup for the ... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News Battle for backup quarterback job isn't over yet (Aug '13) Aug '13 Laughing Bear Fan 6
News Packers cut Graham Harrell; Vince Young moves t... (Aug '13) Aug '13 GBPfan 1
News Jeff Falconio: Packers-Seahawks: Early analysis (Aug '13) Aug '13 GBPfan 2
More from around the web