3 QBs are Heisman finalists

3 QBs are Heisman finalists

There are 21 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Dec 10, 2008, titled 3 QBs are Heisman finalists. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

NEW YORK Tim Tebow will go for two against a pair of talented quarterbacks from the Big 12 when the Heisman Trophy is handed out Saturday night.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“NCBred/FLAcciden tal”

Since: Jul 08

Asheville

#1 Dec 11, 2008
This article doesn't begin to tell you how special Tim Tebow is to us down here. He was a sophmore when he received the trophy last year. He was home schooled along with his siblings and that included a huge presence in the volunteer community. I know very little of football, but I am an active volunteer in the community and this is how I met Tim. He is sincere and a damn nice kid.
Pete

Texarkana, AR

#2 Dec 11, 2008
I am officially sick of the fBCS.
you can guess what the f is for

Harrell had the better stats than Tebow and Colt.
As a matter of fact, with two TDs in the Cotton Bowl, he will break the career passing TDs record!!!!

Tech is snubbed by the fBCS bowl games, and now also the Heisman. Our best year yet and the three way tie dimishes it.

To us, it was great! Keep on making the progress!

With success comes press, pressure, disappointment

GUNS UP
Jim Greenwood

AOL

#3 Dec 11, 2008
I'm an avid fan of college football. IMHO, Tebow is in a class by himself.
GO GATORS!!
Personally

Grimesland, NC

#4 Dec 11, 2008
Tim Tebow may be a damn nice kid, but personally, I don't think he should have received the Heisman nomination over Graham Harell. My vote definitely goes to Sam Bradford!
Pete

Texarkana, AR

#5 Dec 11, 2008
NC Bred - FL Accidenta wrote:
This article doesn't begin to tell you how special Tim Tebow is to us down here. He was a sophmore when he received the trophy last year. He was home schooled along with his siblings and that included a huge presence in the volunteer community. I know very little of football, but I am an active volunteer in the community and this is how I met Tim. He is sincere and a damn nice kid.
i agree with you. i am sure the other two candidates are also great guys. so is harrell.
it is just a shame that he wasn't even invited to NYC or the big 12 game.
at least he can break a record

“NCBred/FLAcciden tal”

Asheville

#6 Dec 11, 2008
Pete wrote:
I am officially sick of the fBCS.
you can guess what the f is for
Harrell had the better stats than Tebow and Colt.
As a matter of fact, with two TDs in the Cotton Bowl, he will break the career passing TDs record!!!!
Tech is snubbed by the fBCS bowl games, and now also the Heisman. Our best year yet and the three way tie dimishes it.
To us, it was great! Keep on making the progress!
With success comes press, pressure, disappointment
GUNS UP
are you speaking of fAB Tech!!!???

“NCBred/FLAcciden tal”

Asheville

#7 Dec 11, 2008
:)

Like I said, I really don't follow FB, I watch the games but I don't rearrange my schedule for them (except for home games in Gville I will shop when the game is one because everyone is 'stationary') I was just jerkin' your chain. My brother went to AB tech and we always just called it "Tech" out of the side of our mouths to rib him about it!!
I'm sure all these kids are great. I just had to stick it in there for Tim - such a great kid - he is a real sweetie, and his whole family is very unaffected by this and down to earth.

“TO Is Now a Buffalo Bill?!?!?!”

Since: Apr 08

Is That Good?

#8 Dec 11, 2008
Ya screw Crabtree, ok, hes a recever. Screw Harrel, now come on.
Pete

Texarkana, AR

#9 Dec 12, 2008
for everyone giving props and consolation to Texas, what about Tech?

Texas Tech had a phenomenal year. The 11-1 season is one for the books in Lubbock. I realize it doesn't mean much to non-tech alumn but i sincerely feel kicked while i am down with all the hate for the program. such lack of respect.
i could be referring to the BCS, Big 12, Heisman, Maxwell, Obrien and such. But really we never cared about that until thie year. it just happened to be the year of the three way tie. we aren't whining. but come on, why rub everything in?
Texas gets so much love. They get all this charity attention and press' apologetic favor. Tech is a good school. The kids there are good kids. The team is the best we have had since before I ever went there in the 90s. I only wish that the DJs, reporters, and bloggers would leave the comments to themselves.
Its not fair that Tech receives the least respect of ANY of the top 10 one loss teams.
You should be ashamed of yourselves.

it must have bee a tough night at the awards for Graham Harrell. He sat there, happy with his Golden Arm award, being chastised by the political and BCS rated agendas about the Heisman, Maxwell, Big 12, Oklahoma letdowns. Seriously, Leach and the rest of the team surely would have still been proud of their season. But you have all the negative about ONE game (yes a very bad loss) and it never ends. Very few have expressed a subjective view on Tech's side. It is such a disgrace to college football that the whole nation can't move passed the Longhorn's point of view.
Give credit to the Red Raiders. They earned every bit of respect and success that any other team that played their hearts out had.
Stop the hate. Its awfully disgraceful.
Ward

Morristown, TN

#10 Dec 12, 2008
Dont it seem kind of odd that 3 of the 4 QB,S in the running for the heisman are in the big 12???..That tells me that the big 12 defences are very weak compared to others...What if tebow was in the big 12 conference what would his numbers be??...Food 4 thought
Ward

Morristown, TN

#11 Dec 12, 2008
By the way we will get our wish JAN. 8.....go gators!!!
nctxnc

Inman, SC

#12 Dec 12, 2008
Let's break this down:
Harrell - Was exposed by OK defense as a systems qb. Beat TX only because defensive back dropped an interception two plays before the final TD.
Tebow - Great COLLEGE player. Won't be a pro qb. If in the Big 12, stats wouldn't be any better and FL would not have lost just 1 game.
Bradford - Good qb but, like Harrell, a systems qb. I will be interested in seeing what he can do when FL defense gets after him.
McCoy - No runnning game at TX (he rushed for 576 yards). Suspect offensive line at times. Defenses keyed on him on every play. Will be best pro qb of the lot. Should, but won't, get the trophy. Too bad.
Hook 'em Horns!!
OklahomaNative

Chesnee, SC

#13 Dec 12, 2008
Tebow is more than a little admirable as a human being. He walks his faith talk, so I have enormous respect for him. His stats are not nearly what they were last year when he won the Heisman. No doubt he is a great QB, but there are other great QB's in the Heisman race as well.

I agree that Texas Tech earned their share of kudos and respect this year, even though my beloved Sooners anhilated them. My Sooners didn't play their best game against the 'horns either. TTech deserves respect.

It is always amazing to me that some teams get much more positive airtime and comments than others. The Gators are a good team. BUT, there are lots of good teams, and it cracks me up that "Ward" thinks it odd that 3 of the 4 Heisman candidates are from the Big 12, and that MUST mean the Big 12 is full of lousy defenses. Ward, sir, you might want to check out the stats, and even the several of the sports media folks, who love the SEC, have noted that this year the powerhouse conference is the Big 12, NOT the SEC. Both conferences are terrific conferences. NOT just one.

Sam Bradford and the Sooners have a terrific team, and so do the Gators. I, for one, am very excited that these 2 terrific teams get to play one another. It should be a fabulous game! BOOMER!!! GO SOONERS!!!
Pete

Texarkana, AR

#14 Dec 12, 2008
i give my props to all the other team in the top 10, except maybe USC (easy sked)
i wouldn't take anything away from them. i only wish there was less bad press on my team
OklahomaNative

Chesnee, SC

#15 Dec 12, 2008
Yep, Pete, the Raiders vs.'Horns game was AWESOME! They played their hearts out! TTech has definitely stepped up in my book.
Pete

Round Rock, TX

#16 Dec 12, 2008
go big 12
OklahomaNative

Chesnee, SC

#17 Dec 13, 2008
3 QB's were finalists, but only ONE SOONER, Sam Bradford won it!!! BOOMER!!!!!!!!

I must admit I felt a bit badly for Colt McCoy. Tim, well, he is an amazing young man, but then he already holds that amazing Heisman honor.

Still, after the dust from the voting settled, Sam Bradford became the 5th Sooner to win this hallowed award. Congrats to all 3 finalists, and my hat is off to Graham Harrell, whom should have been invited to the event in NYC.
Pete

Texarkana, AR

#18 Dec 14, 2008
Tebow isn't playing with his ego. He is a team player and that's why he gets such good press. The press makes the individual look good when he works so hard with others.
Same with (my congrats to) Heisman winner Bradford's gratitude and dedications to his teammates anc coaches.
All were gracious. Besides the fact that Colt Mccoy was "left out" of the championship games, Heismans don't go to someone with chips already on their shoulders. Not that he wasn't deserving.
Harrell didn't get invited because Heismans don't go to someone with a 44 point loss on their season record.(not with the numbers on the other guy's stats)

“NCBred/FLAcciden tal”

Asheville

#19 Dec 14, 2008
Tim took it well, but that's not surprising, he's an amazing young guy. Congrats to the Sooner tho!!
OklahomaNative

Chesnee, SC

#20 Dec 14, 2008
Yes, from what I've seen all 3 finalists are very fine and bright young men. It seems there are fewer and fewer really good role models these days, so it's always a joy to see young men that have so much of what many think is so important (power, position, accolades, fame, etc.), but their focus is on their gratitude to God. Wow. Very refreshing!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Graham Harrell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mike McCarthy: He should be Coach of the Year (Jan '14) Feb '14 40for60 25
News Green Bay Packers: Ted Thompson says approach w... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Laughing bear Fan 5
News Bob McGinn: Green Bay getting left behind by NF... (Jan '14) Jan '14 GBPfan 1
News Green Bay Packers: Team needs a backup for the ... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News Battle for backup quarterback job isn't over yet (Aug '13) Aug '13 Laughing Bear Fan 6
News Packers cut Graham Harrell; Vince Young moves t... (Aug '13) Aug '13 GBPfan 1
News Jeff Falconio: Packers-Seahawks: Early analysis (Aug '13) Aug '13 GBPfan 2
More from around the web