What must happen for Tim Tebow to mak...

What must happen for Tim Tebow to make history with 2nd Heisman?

There are 50 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Dec 11, 2008, titled What must happen for Tim Tebow to make history with 2nd Heisman?. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Before last week's SEC Championship Game, many experts said Tim Tebow needed a monster game to stay in the Heisman Trophy race.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
yeagators

Pompano Beach, FL

#1 Dec 11, 2008
Gators by 14...
Reb

Germantown, TN

#2 Dec 11, 2008
It won't make history if Tebow wins a second Heisman Tropy. It has been done before, by Archie Griffin of Ohio State. You never mentioned it in your article, so I am left to believe you didn't know. Of course, he would be the first WHITE boy to win a second one., so maybe it would be historic. Morons.
Nicolas Naranja

Lansing, MI

#4 Dec 11, 2008
There's nothing left for him to do, and while he was much better this year than last, I don't think he deserves to win it twice.
Rastis

Stuart, FL

#5 Dec 11, 2008
he needs to pray
Tebow blows Spikes

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#6 Dec 11, 2008
Haha. Gators fans are so cute...they're like little loser kids in grade school who suddenly become popular: They just don't know how to handle it. But don't worry, even if sharing your pudding cups at lunchtime made you a couple new temporary friends, you'll come crashing down to earth soon enough.
The Gators have exactly one title this decade. They've played for exactly one title this decade. They've finished outside the top 10 six times this decade. They spent much of this decade wallowing in the Zook years, yet they pretend that never happened.
And sorry, but Tebow's Heisman doesn't change a 4-loss season last year. Of course, any other 4-loss QB *not* in the SEC who put up the same stats would've been lucky to get an honorable mention, much less win the thing (see: Smith, Paul).
But that's okay. The era of being able to get away with anything simply by bleating, "But the SEC is so haaaaard!" is coming to an end. Now that writers and voters realize the SEC is rotting, I wonder if they'll be so quick in giving you the automatic benefit of the doubt.
GO GATORS

Lake Worth, FL

#7 Dec 11, 2008
Reb wrote:
It won't make history if Tebow wins a second Heisman Tropy. It has been done before, by Archie Griffin of Ohio State. You never mentioned it in your article, so I am left to believe you didn't know. Of course, he would be the first WHITE boy to win a second one., so maybe it would be historic. Morons.
Here's what has to happen for Tebow to be the first repeat Heisman winner since Ohio State running back Archie Griffin (1974-75).

Wow, you dumb idiot, it looks like I took that from the article. Learn to read you ignorant loser!!!!!
Pago Pago Trojan

Toledo, OH

#8 Dec 11, 2008
Tebow has earned his second Heisman.
ABC

Pompano Beach, FL

#9 Dec 11, 2008
Tebow blows Spikes wrote:
Haha. Gators fans are so cute...they're like little loser kids in grade school who suddenly become popular: They just don't know how to handle it. But don't worry, even if sharing your pudding cups at lunchtime made you a couple new temporary friends, you'll come crashing down to earth soon enough.
The Gators have exactly one title this decade. They've played for exactly one title this decade. They've finished outside the top 10 six times this decade. They spent much of this decade wallowing in the Zook years, yet they pretend that never happened.
And sorry, but Tebow's Heisman doesn't change a 4-loss season last year. Of course, any other 4-loss QB *not* in the SEC who put up the same stats would've been lucky to get an honorable mention, much less win the thing (see: Smith, Paul).
But that's okay. The era of being able to get away with anything simply by bleating, "But the SEC is so haaaaard!" is coming to an end. Now that writers and voters realize the SEC is rotting, I wonder if they'll be so quick in giving you the automatic benefit of the doubt.
I'll take the bait.

Using the grade school analogy, you sound like the jealous girl, who wishes she was pretty and had friends.

Use whatever timeframe you want, but playing for 2 championships in 3 years is awesome.

To say the Gators have spent most of this decade wallowing in the Zook years in simply inaccurate. Zook was there for 3 mediocre years, and Meyer won in his second year. Because of Zook, the Gators ended up with Meyer.

While you may argue the SEC is down this year, for the most part is has the best conference, by most measures. Who is better? At least the SEC fills their stadiums.

Tebow deserves the Heisman, but so do Bradford and McCoy. It is not only about stats either. I would argue Tebow's numbers would be the same or better if the Gators were in the Big 12. Bradford and McCoy's numbers would both be a lot worse. We have seen plenty of QBs do what they do, very few can do what Tebow does.

Also, everyone should look up Archie Griffin's stats for the years he won, they were not that special even for those times.
Mother of a Marine

Pompano Beach, FL

#10 Dec 12, 2008
Good Luck Tim, win or lose we in Gator Nation Love You!
Tebow blows Spikes~~~ You seriously are the most hateful, negative person to post on these blogs. Sour grapes is very unbecoming! GO GATORS!!!!!!!!!!
Cody

Grand Ledge, MI

#13 Dec 12, 2008
I though Graham Harrell, should be the winner of the Heisman,it was his to win or lose. But Oklahoma knocked his chances out. I think Tebow will win by a very close margin. Four great QB's in the running.
Reggie

Valrico, FL

#14 Dec 12, 2008
ABC wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll take the bait.
Using the grade school analogy, you sound like the jealous girl, who wishes she was pretty and had friends.
Use whatever timeframe you want, but playing for 2 championships in 3 years is awesome.
To say the Gators have spent most of this decade wallowing in the Zook years in simply inaccurate. Zook was there for 3 mediocre years, and Meyer won in his second year. Because of Zook, the Gators ended up with Meyer.
While you may argue the SEC is down this year, for the most part is has the best conference, by most measures. Who is better? At least the SEC fills their stadiums.
Tebow deserves the Heisman, but so do Bradford and McCoy. It is not only about stats either. I would argue Tebow's numbers would be the same or better if the Gators were in the Big 12. Bradford and McCoy's numbers would both be a lot worse. We have seen plenty of QBs do what they do, very few can do what Tebow does.
Also, everyone should look up Archie Griffin's stats for the years he won, they were not that special even for those times.
Let's not forget that in most games this year, Tebow did not play in the 4th quarter. His stats would be much better had he done so. With that said, I wish Tim luck but the other two QBs are worthy of the Heisman also.
Mark

Valrico, FL

#15 Dec 12, 2008
Gayturds Suck wrote:
Tebow is a shoe in for the Heisman. With all the Gator fans blowing the judges, how could he lose ..........
Wow, such a brilliant, insightful yet ironic comment. Have fun out there in San Francisco at the Emerald (s..u..c..k)nuts bowl you loser.
REV AL

West Palm Beach, FL

#16 Dec 12, 2008
Who gives a crap about Tim Tebow?
better than you

Chipley, FL

#17 Dec 12, 2008
REV AL wrote:
Who gives a crap about Tim Tebow?
According to a recent ESPN poll, 41% of college football fans care enough to want him to get the Heisman. That's 41% of the whole country...not just SEC land.
D-Man

Hallandale, FL

#18 Dec 12, 2008
It is a two man race...Tebow of Florida and Bradford of OU. Again the Texas player will get the shaft much like his team did this year. Tebow should win the Heisman if he shows up in New York. For many well documented reasons people respect the SEC players more in college football....not to mention the NFL. Just take a look at the NFL rosters and that speaks volumes. Look at what the the SEC have done in BCS National Championship games. The last SEC team to lose a Championship game of any short was Florida when they were blown out under the leadership of "The Ole Ball Coach - Steve Spurrier; by Nebraska 62 - 24. That has been a while....Nebraska has not been mentioned in a National Championship conversation since Tebow entered Middle School. The SEC appears to have the more competetive league in college football. With that being said, OU should be a hand full for Florida. Both teams will be rusty, so we really will not see the best two teams playing on Jan. 8th. The best two teams will probably play around Christmas. Have you ever noticed the BCS National Championship game sucks....too much time off between games. LETS HAVE A PLAYOFF!!

TEBOW is who I feel will win the Heisman...Not an NFL QB, but a great college QB
yeagators

Pompano Beach, FL

#19 Dec 12, 2008
i love timmy
DL Gator

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#20 Dec 12, 2008
This is going to be a tough one - to close to call, for me anyway, although I would state my case for Tebow. Yes, his stats aren't nearly as impressive as McCoy's or Bradford's, although it's not entirely fair to make the 4th quarter comparison because McCoy and Bradford did their share of sitting out as well. However, as was previously mentioned, a QB like Bradford or McCoy with a great arm and lots of yards and lots of touchdowns isn't something we haven't seen before. Tim Tebow IS something we haven't seen before he came on the scene, and what he has been able to do to his team since the Ole Miss loss is nothing short of amazing, as is his ability to utilize all of the weapons that the impressively-deep Gators have this year, which is another reason his stats aren't up there. They don't need to be when he has Harvin, Hernandez, Demps, Rainey, et al. For his leadership, his intangibles, his all-around skill, and the fact that he's had to play against quite a bit more DEFENSE this year, my vote goes to Tim Tebow.
zzzzz

Pompano Beach, FL

#22 Dec 12, 2008
yawn
Cane Mutiny

United States

#23 Dec 12, 2008
Tebow blows Spikes wrote:
Haha. Gators fans are so cute...they're like little loser kids in grade school who suddenly become popular: They just don't know how to handle it. But don't worry, even if sharing your pudding cups at lunchtime made you a couple new temporary friends, you'll come crashing down to earth soon enough.
The Gators have exactly one title this decade. They've played for exactly one title this decade. They've finished outside the top 10 six times this decade. They spent much of this decade wallowing in the Zook years, yet they pretend that never happened.
And sorry, but Tebow's Heisman doesn't change a 4-loss season last year. Of course, any other 4-loss QB *not* in the SEC who put up the same stats would've been lucky to get an honorable mention, much less win the thing (see: Smith, Paul).
But that's okay. The era of being able to get away with anything simply by bleating, "But the SEC is so haaaaard!" is coming to an end. Now that writers and voters realize the SEC is rotting, I wonder if they'll be so quick in giving you the automatic benefit of the doubt.
Greatest post ever. I have no problem with the Gator fans loving their team, they just need a little perspective. There is really no logical criteria for which Tebow should win the Heisman.
Aubie

Newport, RI

#24 Dec 12, 2008
Tebow is a great QB and a even more importantly, a class individual.

IF he wins the trophy and wins a second National Championship - he's gone (to the NFL).

Two National Championships and two Heisman Trophy's...what else is there to do - besides risk a career-ending injury and millions.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Graham Harrell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mike McCarthy: He should be Coach of the Year (Jan '14) Feb '14 40for60 25
News Green Bay Packers: Ted Thompson says approach w... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Laughing bear Fan 5
News Bob McGinn: Green Bay getting left behind by NF... (Jan '14) Jan '14 GBPfan 1
News Green Bay Packers: Team needs a backup for the ... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News Battle for backup quarterback job isn't over yet (Aug '13) Aug '13 Laughing Bear Fan 6
News Packers cut Graham Harrell; Vince Young moves t... (Aug '13) Aug '13 GBPfan 1
News Jeff Falconio: Packers-Seahawks: Early analysis (Aug '13) Aug '13 GBPfan 2
More from around the web