A return to NFL by Michael Vick supported by many players

There are 20 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from May 20, 2009, titled A return to NFL by Michael Vick supported by many players. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

If Michael Vick is seeking support for an NFL comeback, he would get it from many of his former peers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 61
Next Last

“Stimulate THIS!”

Since: Aug 08

West Frankfort, IL

#1 May 20, 2009
Of course they do...its a thug-driven league.....only thing saving this league is the commish. He runs a tight ship. If Goodell wants o keep his reputation going, he's gotta suspend this createn for at least 4 games.
NANA PALIN

Atlanta, GA

#2 May 20, 2009
ESPN sportsnation poll:

With Michael Vick ready to resume his playing career, what further penalty should the NFL impose?

None 66%
4 games 9%
8 games 9%
Indefinite ban 16%
(119,645 votes)

hi haters!
not sorry

United States

#3 May 20, 2009
What HSUS doesn't realize is that these "thugs"won't give a penny.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/stop-NFL-fro...
NANA PALIN

Atlanta, GA

#4 May 20, 2009
not sorry wrote:
What HSUS doesn't realize is that these "thugs"won't give a penny.
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/stop-NFL-fro...
So? They'll get more naive people like you to give.
The Truth Detector

High Springs, FL

#5 May 20, 2009
Mike Vick should be banished from the NFL for life. If he plays again in the league, I hope his team is met by PETA protestors to the max at every game. The State of Virginia should have never reduced their charges and Vick should still be in jail, where he belongs. His 'Hood supporters in the league want to give him another chance. Their contracts should be pulled for moral clause infraction, "associating with a convicted felon and casting disgrace of the NFL". Let a couple of those bums go and see how much support Vick has left then. All of that being said, Vick will play again because that is what the Liberals want. The sport's media is all over themselves crying for poor Vick.
Watch the NFL Channel and hear the likes of Warren Sapp go on and on about how "the man did his time, so it's time to let him play". Remember Pete Rose? He has been banished from baseball for decades now. He only made a few bets on baseball games and didn't slaughter any helpless dogs. Where is all the forgiveness and understanding for Pete Rose? Oh, I forgot. Rose is only a White guy. BIG difference!
Kornback Rattler

New Orleans, LA

#6 May 20, 2009
The Truth Detector wrote:
Mike Vick should be banished from the NFL for life. If he plays again in the league, I hope his team is met by PETA protestors to the max at every game. The State of Virginia should have never reduced their charges and Vick should still be in jail, where he belongs. His 'Hood supporters in the league want to give him another chance. Their contracts should be pulled for moral clause infraction, "associating with a convicted felon and casting disgrace of the NFL". Let a couple of those bums go and see how much support Vick has left then. All of that being said, Vick will play again because that is what the Liberals want. The sport's media is all over themselves crying for poor Vick.
Watch the NFL Channel and hear the likes of Warren Sapp go on and on about how "the man did his time, so it's time to let him play". Remember Pete Rose? He has been banished from baseball for decades now. He only made a few bets on baseball games and didn't slaughter any helpless dogs. Where is all the forgiveness and understanding for Pete Rose? Oh, I forgot. Rose is only a White guy. BIG difference!
USA COX swears in another member of the Dixie Klan Klub.
Vick is Slime

United States

#7 May 20, 2009
You R 100% correct.
The Truth Detector

High Springs, FL

#9 May 21, 2009
Kornback Rattler wrote:
<quoted text>
USA COX swears in another member of the Dixie Klan Klub.
Are you really that stupid, or just pretending to be? I certainly hope that you are not spreading your gene pool via reproductive quest. The world already has more than enough morons to deal with. The only other possible explanation for your mindless attitude is from your disadvantage of being produced from weak sperm and a half-rotted egg. Sometimes nature makes a poor excuse for bringing certain cretins into this world. Along with everything else being a given, you're probably ugly, as well. Don't be remiss and forget to send Vick some money. He can use it, after having lost 45 million in contracts and endorsements because he wanted to impress his Bro's in the 'Hood by killing helpless dogs. You sound like the kind of friend he still wants. Vick is in Hampton today. Be sure to give him my regards. Thanks.
Pound

Little Rock, AR

#10 May 21, 2009
Let me start by saying I do not agree with or condone dog fighting. That said, he was convicted of a crime and did his time. He missed two years of football already. I donít think he even needs to be sorry for what he did he just should not do it again. Bringing up Pete Rose is comparing apples to oranges. He actually bet on his own team. That has to do directly with the sport and its outcome. Dog fighting has nothing to do with football. Its not Vicks responsibility to be a role model for your kids. Thatís your responsibility. Right now in Tampa there is a story about a person who committed a hit a run and killed a person but is getting off the hook because they are rich. Whereís the crusade involving that? I think itís despicable that people like you probably care more about a dog than a human being. If I owned a pit bull you probably wouldnít want me next door to you because you would be afraid. Thatís public perception. Now all of a sudden they are the sweetest dogs in the world. I do think pit bulls are sweet and get a bad rap but thatís not the point. If someone gets a DUI and kills someone while driving should they never be allowed to have a job? No, they shouldnít be allowed to drive. Vick should be able to play football but he should not be allowed to have any pets.
The Truth Detector

High Springs, FL

#11 May 21, 2009
Pound...So Pete Rose actually bet on his own team but he didn't beat anyone to death with a baseball bat. What I believe is that a helpless dog cannot speak for or truly defend itself against a monster such as Mike Vick, but I can and will speak-up for the true "under-dog", so to speak. I think that it is despicable that people like you are so cavalier about the life of a helpless animal while you run out the door to buy a ticket to a football game. Your world heroes are nothing more than mercenaries that play for the highest bidder; and sad sacks like you live vicariously through their sporting lives on a field of shallow dreams. You somehow truly believe that football is so very important. Certainly more important than some horribly tortured dogs. After-all, Mike Vick is such an outstanding paragon of virtue that when he throws a football, God is watching in Heavenly awe and so are you. You remind me of the guy with the big, fat belly hanging over the bar stool by the big screen TV; and the great player jumps up to catch a ball and drops the pass. You opine, "six million dollars a year and he dropped it. I've could have caught that pass"! Remember, "there is many a slip between the cup and the lip" as you swallow your next gulp of cheap, draft beer. So go back to reading your sport's page. That is just about the only happiness you have left. I'll bet just about now, you sure feel stupid! You're welcome.
Pound

Plant City, FL

#12 May 21, 2009
Pound...So Pete Rose actually bet on his own team but he didn't beat anyone to death with a baseball bat. What I believe is that a helpless dog cannot speak for or truly defend itself against a monster such as Mike Vick, but I can and will speak-up for the true "under-dog", so to speak. I think that it is despicable that people like you are so cavalier about the life of a helpless animal while you run out the door to buy a ticket to a football game. Your world heroes are nothing more than mercenaries that play for the highest bidder; and sad sacks like you live vicariously through their sporting lives on a field of shallow dreams. You somehow truly believe that football is so very important. Certainly more important than some horribly tortured dogs. After-all, Mike Vick is such an outstanding paragon of virtue that when he throws a football, God is watching in Heavenly awe and so are you. You remind me of the guy with the big, fat belly hanging over the bar stool by the big screen TV; and the great player jumps up to catch a ball and drops the pass. You opine, "six million dollars a year and he dropped it. I've could have caught that pass"! Remember, "there is many a slip between the cup and the lip" as you swallow your next gulp of cheap, draft beer. So go back to reading your sport's page. That is just about the only happiness you have left. I'll bet just about now, you sure feel stupid! You're welcome.
I donít feel stupid at all. You cant make a valid point. Your assessment of me is completely wrong. Iím not fat. I donít like beer and rarely drink at all. I'm very intelligent. Obviously your not because you missed my point entirely and decided to stay up on your confederate high horse. In no way did I condone dog fighting. I think its terrible and the thought of watching a dog fight turns my stomach but it has nothing to do with Vick doing his job which is playing football. It's not your place to pass judgment and deny someone their right to work. When someone kills somebody while driving drunk and gets to drive again are you as passionate about that? How about you try to address the issue and make a valid point instead of making false judgments. You proved how narrow minded you are. In case you cant see passed your own ego Ill say it again, I do not agree with dog fighting but it has nothing to do with football. Vick deserved to go to prison and did so. If you are looking for a role model for your kids then start with yourself. Pete rose didnít beat anyone with a bat but he did bet on his own team to win and that directly effects the integrity of baseball. Personally I think Pete Rose should be in the hall of fame for what he did as a player. A person can choose not to like or support Vick but that doesnít give someone the right to tell him he cant have a job. Thatís idiotic and I'm afraid so are you.
USA Rocks wife

Washington, DC

#13 May 21, 2009
PETA isn't gonna do squat. Their sister organization the HSUS has sold them out....or maybe the threat of an investigation over their donations made the HSUS change their minds to work with Vick..who knows? either way, PETA is about as effective as the GOP. LOL
The Truth Detector

High Springs, FL

#14 May 21, 2009
Pound...Don't get me wrong. I never said Vick couldn't work. There are many jobs available in the fast food industry. I hear Burger King is hiring and offering multi-task work. Flip the burger, shake the french fryer, clean the windows, mop the floors, and take out the trash, are just a few of the fulfilling opportunities to a former Dog Killer on probation. You mention that you are, "very intelligent". Well, Mr. Intelligent can you define for me what a "confederate high horse" is? You sound a little discordant to me (you can look discordant up, if you need to, I couldn't find confederate high horse in my New Oxford American Dictionary but discordant is there ). You say I can't make a valid point. Well, at least I don't have to make-up a name for an imaginary animal. So what does that say about your "validity"? Are you beginning to feel that you are way out of your "league" (no pun intended)? If you want some education from me, you could have said that I was taking the high ground, while wearing a high hat and I would have accepted that as a juvenile insult. I make a living with words. You use "words" like they are rocks. Good luck and a little more schooling on your part would help. You're welcome!
NANA PALIN

Atlanta, GA

#15 May 21, 2009
Vick's gonna be playing pro football, so you might as well quit your whining haters!
The Truth Detector

High Springs, FL

#16 May 21, 2009
NANA PALIN wrote:
Vick's gonna be playing pro football, so you might as well quit your whining haters!
Arthur Blank says, "not in Atlanta".

If Vick does play again, it will be for bargain basement prices. Not enough cash for him to start another dog fighting business. Oh, I forgot. Vick is now reformed. Amazing what time in Leavenworth will do for a fine young lad. At least he didn't come out of that prison having found God, like so many others before him. Too bad so many before him have worn out that old lie. To his credit, he never said the second big lie, "I was framed". Do you know what the third, all time biggest prison lie is? "I'm sorry and won't do it again". Yeah, sure. I know they had his parole hearing on video. Why not show the world and let the people judge? You Dog Killer supporters want so badly to see him play, don't you want to hear the "rest of the story"? I'll bet he squirt a few tears to the parole board. I'd pay good money to see that!
NANA PALIN

Atlanta, GA

#17 May 21, 2009
<quoted text>
If Vick does play again, it will be for bargain basement prices. Not enough cash for him to start another dog fighting business. Oh, I forgot. Vick is now reformed. Amazing what time in Leavenworth will do for a fine young lad. At least he didn't come out of that prison having found God, like so many others before him. Too bad so many before him have worn out that old lie. To his credit, he never said the second big lie, "I was framed". Do you know what the third, all time biggest prison lie is? "I'm sorry and won't do it again". Yeah, sure. I know they had his parole hearing on video. Why not show the world and let the people judge? You Dog Killer supporters want so badly to see him play, don't you want to hear the "rest of the story"? I'll bet he squirt a few tears to the parole board. I'd pay good money to see that!
You do know that a 7 season veteran getting the minimum in the NFL is still gonna be 7 figures right? LOL! Is that "bargain basement" enough for you?? Did you forget the NFL has unionized labor, Vick is guaranteed a certain salary. Now you can pretend like you don't see it coming, but you know you do...didn't Goodell just say today he would talk to Tony Dungy for his input? LOL

“Be Kind to Animals”

Since: Nov 07

Nelson, VA

#18 May 21, 2009
Pound wrote:
<quoted text>
I donít feel stupid at all. You cant make a valid point. Your assessment of me is completely wrong. Iím not fat. I donít like beer and rarely drink at all. I'm very intelligent. Obviously your not because you missed my point entirely and decided to stay up on your confederate high horse. In no way did I condone dog fighting. I think its terrible and the thought of watching a dog fight turns my stomach but it has nothing to do with Vick doing his job which is playing football. It's not your place to pass judgment and deny someone their right to work. When someone kills somebody while driving drunk and gets to drive again are you as passionate about that? How about you try to address the issue and make a valid point instead of making false judgments. You proved how narrow minded you are. In case you cant see passed your own ego Ill say it again, I do not agree with dog fighting but it has nothing to do with football. Vick deserved to go to prison and did so. If you are looking for a role model for your kids then start with yourself. Pete rose didnít beat anyone with a bat but he did bet on his own team to win and that directly effects the integrity of baseball. Personally I think Pete Rose should be in the hall of fame for what he did as a player. A person can choose not to like or support Vick but that doesnít give someone the right to tell him he cant have a job. Thatís idiotic and I'm afraid so are you.
Being in the NFL is not the same as having a "job". It is a privileged status endowed upon a select few individuals who happen to be gifted in their athletic abilities. This privileged status comes with a contract which includes a morals clause and those given this status are rightfully expected to conduct themselves in a manner befitting that status. Their lucrative salaries are paid by the fans and the fans have every right to expect these players to act like they have a brain.
Vick has a job...with a very nice construction company earning $10. an hour. He'll probably get his career back too so what are you bytching about?
My GGGeneration

Addison, IL

#19 May 21, 2009
While I see Truth's side as well as Pound's, I gotta go with Truth on this one. Like it or not, when Vick signed that NFL contract he also took on the job as role model, among other things. It's partly his job to set an example for those coming up the ranks behind him and how does he elect to do it? By becoming a convicted felon. Like so many others before him, it's become a joke really, and not a funny one at that.

The other day NASCAR suspended a driver indefinately. Why? Because he failed a drug test. In ten years he won't earn what Manny Ramirez earns in one, and he got a 50 gamer. The NFL would have given maybe 4 games or 8. But Mayfield is out until NASCAR decides he can come back, IF they decide he can come back because NASCAR runs a tight ship and recognizes their drivers are indeed role models. Vick should be glad he didn't get more time in the slam, and the NFL should wash its hands of this mope.
The Truth Detector

High Springs, FL

#20 May 21, 2009
NANA PALIN wrote:
<quoted text>
You do know that a 7 season veteran getting the minimum in the NFL is still gonna be 7 figures right? LOL! Is that "bargain basement" enough for you?? Did you forget the NFL has unionized labor, Vick is guaranteed a certain salary. Now you can pretend like you don't see it coming, but you know you do...didn't Goodell just say today he would talk to Tony Dungy for his input? LOL
What you know about NFL contracts isn't worth knowing. You think you're some kind of "Football Seer" predicting Vick will return. I don't have to read any writing on a subway wall. I'm looking forward to Vick's return. The entertainment factor of the distraction he will bring to any team foolish enough to sign him will be priceless. His very best chance is to sign with the Raiders. They have a history of taking anyone, no matter what their track record entails. Oops, I almost made a Freudian slip and wrote "entrails" instead on "entails". I must have been thinking about that message I saw on the subway wall. "Dog Entrails Cheap, Hampton House of Virginia".

“Be Kind to Animals”

Since: Nov 07

Nelson, VA

#21 May 21, 2009
<quoted text>
Vick said he "found Jesus" just before he went to jail. I think he left Him there. I would rather be a fly on the wall when Vick meets with Goodell the first time. He'll probably be wearing a diaper that day.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 61
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

George Wilson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Buffalo Bills News, 2/13: Looking For A Young T... (Feb '13) Feb '13 joker 1
News Five NFL Players Say Gay Is OK (Sep '12) Sep '12 Laughing Bear Fan 63
News NFL owners approve deal to end lockout; players... (Jul '11) Jul '11 Ownerfarts 4
News Owners agree; it's players' move now;NFL Labor (Jul '11) Jul '11 TexasRaider 1
News Bills players back NFLPA in decertification vote (Sep '10) Sep '10 retirepleaseschobel 1
News Miami Dolphins: Lloyd Mumphord's link to Vontae... (May '10) May '10 Dolpharts 2
News Paducah 7th-grader to sing at NFL game (Aug '09) Aug '09 His Friend 1
More from around the web