Huizenga shows confidence in Cameron ...

Huizenga shows confidence in Cameron -- South Florida Sun-Senti...

There are 194 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Aug 21, 2007, titled Huizenga shows confidence in Cameron -- South Florida Sun-Senti.... In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Dolphins owner H. Wayne Huizenga gave first-year coach Cam Cameron a glowing review after meeting with him Tuesday afternoon, but that doesn't mean he's willing to go too many more years without making the ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Woodstrock

Powder Springs, GA

#193 Aug 25, 2007
Scooter Libby Convicted F wrote:
<quoted text>
A bunch of years from what we can see as The Miami Dolphins under the watch of genius businessman and cursed owner Wayne Huipinga have become the Arizona Cardinals of the East.
I'm not exactly sure where to start. If these are honest questions - and there is no reason to doubt that they are - you have managed to couch them all as the 'haters' would. I've highlighted that statement above as an example. Where is this even a valid comparison? True, you may not be an 'expert' as you say, but even someone with even a general knowledge of the NFL - or even a casual Dolphins fan as you claim to be - wouldn't draw that conclusion. WH has owned the Fins for 16 seasons, not counting this one. In those years, Miami has had two losing seasons. That's all. They have also won the division twice, and been to the playoffs 6 times. True, this isn't what Dolphins fans are used to (I know I'm not!), but this is not 'Arizona East' either. Not even close. But the haters on this board seem to think so.
It is one thing to ask questions and have a decent conversation and an honest analysis of the team we like to follow. It is another thing entirely to foam at the mouth, spew garbage about firing a coach who has yet to actually coach a game, call him an idiot for drafting players who have yet to even play a 'real' game in the league, and demonize the owner who has been called by many in the NFL as the type of owner any coach would love to work for.
Broward Resident

AOL

#194 Aug 26, 2007
jahndoh wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems like he's mostly just tired of you. He's not alone.
You sound like one of those guys on the Mondays after the Dolphins go down that go into work all teary eyed looking for somebody to weep with you ...
Broward Resident

AOL

#195 Aug 26, 2007
Scott wrote:
PS Tim, after 9/11 I spent 3 months in the city donating my time to help in the clean up effort. I have never seen people come together and help eachother out like people from the city did. One day my crew and I were walking down a side street and a woman yelled down to us that we looked thirsty and offered us all some lemonade. She came down with 2 pitchers and some cups and while she was pouring she thanked each and every one of us for helping the city to recover. It was very heart warming and is not the only example of genorousity that I witnessed during my time. I was wrong when I said "a lot of them are rude",it's only some and as usual they ruin it for everyone else. So when you make a blanket statement about people and then back it up by saying, it was in a movie and everyone laughed, it is very ignorant and shows that you really don't know much about New Yorkers at all.
Seems like what your saying is that all the good New Yorkers stayed behind .. Your statements don't fit the New Yorkers down here ....
Broward Resident

AOL

#196 Aug 26, 2007
jahndoh wrote:
<quoted text>
You need a hankerchief fellar, cuz you're foaming at the mouth.
I want to know why you are accusing the fin backers here of yelling when the all caps posters and excamation point abusers are almost exclusively haters?
Cuz you're a hater too, and we don't care what you want to know.
Geez .. don't cry .. it was only an opinion...

You people get a little carried away with all the emotion .. I'll bet you would have really flipped out if you would have seen the Dolphin helmet sticker in the urinal
Mike 17-0

Youngstown, OH

#197 Aug 26, 2007
Who's getting emotional?
Broward Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
WOW ... Why get so emotional over a football team ?.. It's just another mans business .. Its a form of entertainment .. Just like these forums .. A form of entertainment here too ...
JRW

Hollywood, FL

#198 Aug 26, 2007
Since you run around and call people childish names, I would say you are to, uh, I mean too emotional.
Mike 17-0 wrote:
Who's getting emotional?
<quoted text>
AKKZ

Brookline, MA

#199 Aug 27, 2007
Broward Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
You people get a little carried away with all the emotion .. I'll bet you would have really flipped out if you would have seen the Dolphin helmet sticker in the urinal
lmao! Go Pats!
jahndoh

Goleta, CA

#200 Aug 27, 2007
Broward Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
I would encourage everyone to reread this post and the post he was responding too. I don't think there was a shred of emotion in what I said.

This response is pretty teenager-esque, I must've stumped him. You notice how he had nothing of football value to convey?
Woodstrock

Spartanburg, SC

#201 Aug 27, 2007
jahndoh wrote:
<quoted text>
I would encourage everyone to reread this post and the post he was responding too. I don't think there was a shred of emotion in what I said.
This response is pretty teenager-esque, I must've stumped him. You notice how he had nothing of football value to convey?
He was just looking for a way to work in the 'helmet sticker in the urinal' joke...

“Dad Cheney Loves to Whip Me!”

Since: Jun 07

CheneyTown, USA

#203 Aug 28, 2007
Woodstrock wrote:
<quoted text> I'm not exactly sure where to start. If these are honest questions - and there is no reason to doubt that they are - you have managed to couch them all as the 'haters' would. I've highlighted that statement above as an example. Where is this even a valid comparison? True, you may not be an 'expert' as you say, but even someone with even a general knowledge of the NFL - or even a casual Dolphins fan as you claim to be - wouldn't draw that conclusion. WH has owned the Fins for 16 seasons, not counting this.
Woodstrock (is this an combination of Woodley and Strock???)

You make a lot of good points and the only thing that I do not understand or see it the same way why you and a few others classify people who write in the forum as "haters" if they say anything that is not quite along the lines of rah rah rah corporate meeting cheerleading for the teams in town.
People get influenced by many things in their life and the way they see and write about things is usually a result of how life has touched them both inside and outside of sports. I not only think that I am a fan but one that lived in the shadows of 16th ave in the Orange Bowl as a kid during the 1971-74 time when the Dolphins were the king fish or "mammals" of the NFL. Ironically, I then went and spent a lot of time in Pittsburgh during the Chuck Knoll years and if you wanted to see optimism and fanaticism, Pittsburgh and the Three Rivers was the place. But I have gone to too many games and too many corporate meetings where I have seen a lot of the ugly aspects that I see in the local teams and the double talk, and the Saban speak and now what I see is not something that I am encouraged by. I just voice my opinion.
I have played sports and seen more games than a lot of people but have always been a bit of a "hater" as you call me in that I tend to sit back in my chair at home or at the stadium and say "yeah, that was a sweet play" rather than scream like crazy to the point of obnoxiousness. Yet I am the opposite with the pen and the writing where I make much more noise. But I enjoy the Dolphin victories, sure I have not had too much to enjoy lately because as I traveled around the country in my job over the years people used to tell me what a great team we had in Miami. That has not happened for a long time.
It is true that what you say that coaches love to work for Huizenga and why not, look what he did for a guy like Saban. He let him have hold of the organization and chew it up to the point that Saban was being condescending to the media and being a total jerk from the first day and Huizenga just stood by and let him do horrible stuff to people and create a circus around the team and I am not talking about his Alabama fling, I am talking about much before that, the first year, the first week, the first news conference. He had a coach that was insecure and treated people terrible and did not step in. Sure that if I was Saban I would like that.
Before that he allowed Jimmy J. trash the place and bring in his crony Wannstedt and that party lasted for 5 years or more and Huizenga just let this thing roll on and on. Sure if I was Jimmy and Wannstedt and Spielman I would have like to have Huizenga as the owner because other owners would not have allowed.
THEY MASSACRED THE ORGANIZATION.... if you add to that the idea that before that were the great Marino and Shula years that were opaqued by an even greater Buffalo team that always beat the Dolphins in the playoffs and then they lost themselves in the SuperBowl, well, you have to go say that this is not what I grew up in Miami accustomed to and that all these changes and 5 year plans remind me of the Mao Tse Tung years with the great leap forward and the 5 year plan and the cultural revolution of Cam Cameron.
Woodstrock....I appreciate your comments!
Woodstrock

New Orleans, LA

#204 Aug 29, 2007
Scooter Libby Convicted F wrote:
<quoted text>

Woodstrock....I appreciate your comments!
(yes,'Woodstrock' is the 1981 QB for the Dolphins - Woodley and Strock as the two-headed QB that year.)

First, the Arizona comparison, to be real, really doesn't work here. WH is considered to be a great owner just as you said - because he gives the organization over to his Head Coach and doesn't meddle. Arizona has been a loser franchise for so long because of their owner(s) the Bidwills. So the analogy isn't quite reasonable. That being said, I get your point - none of us are used to this.

But again, to be realistic, we've had two of the worst years of this franchise's history during the last three seasons. Of course we aren't used to this. But welcome to the NFL - the reason Miami is the winningest franchise in all of sports since the merger is because of a lack of these kinds of seasons. I agree, Miami was considered to be one of the model organizations in all of sports, but not now. Not when you can't win. Not when we've had two of the 'hottest' coaches that WH went out and hired, and both of them quit. They both had total control, and still couldn't make it work. Wanny was hired to hopefully maintain stability in the organization, and that worked for a little while as he peaked early, but couldn't make the personnel decisions keep it going. But that's what the rest of the NFL has been going through for decades, and as Dolphins fans, we were spared this. We've been spoiled.

My final point is this: in my opinion, to be a fan is to be inherently optimistic. If you don't have fun with the team, then why bother? If everything that is done is 'doom and gloom', and we write-off the new coach BEFORE he ever coaches a game, why bother even paying attention? Shula isn't going to resurrect the glory years, Marino's not coming off the bench, but lets see if the new coach can move the franchise back in the right direction. And I'll cheer for them and hope they win. But there is no reason at all to blast this new coach and GM when we have yet to even see the team in action.

Thanks for the post.
JRW

Hollywood, FL

#205 Aug 29, 2007
Dude, great posts! It's nice to see an intelligent post from a Dolfan. Most of us non-dolfans just look for some realistic conversations here. Saying the Dolphins will be a playoff team this year is not realistic. I rather just call em as I see em. Only 6 playoff appearances in 16 years? Wow.
Woodstrock wrote:
<quoted text> I'm not exactly sure where to start. If these are honest questions - and there is no reason to doubt that they are - you have managed to couch them all as the 'haters' would. I've highlighted that statement above as an example. Where is this even a valid comparison? True, you may not be an 'expert' as you say, but even someone with even a general knowledge of the NFL - or even a casual Dolphins fan as you claim to be - wouldn't draw that conclusion. WH has owned the Fins for 16 seasons, not counting this one. In those years, Miami has had two losing seasons. That's all. They have also won the division twice, and been to the playoffs 6 times. True, this isn't what Dolphins fans are used to (I know I'm not!), but this is not 'Arizona East' either. Not even close. But the haters on this board seem to think so.
It is one thing to ask questions and have a decent conversation and an honest analysis of the team we like to follow. It is another thing entirely to foam at the mouth, spew garbage about firing a coach who has yet to actually coach a game, call him an idiot for drafting players who have yet to even play a 'real' game in the league, and demonize the owner who has been called by many in the NFL as the type of owner any coach would love to work for.
jahndoh

Goleta, CA

#206 Aug 29, 2007
JRW wrote:
Dude, great posts! It's nice to see an intelligent post from a Dolfan. Most of us non-dolfans just look for some realistic conversations here. Saying the Dolphins will be a playoff team this year is not realistic. I rather just call em as I see em. Only 6 playoff appearances in 16 years? Wow.
<quoted text>
The only problem with you calling em as you see em is your inherent apparent vision impairment.

Why would a football fan go to a blog of a team they openly dislike for "realistic conversation"?

You sound like a real catch. I'm surprised you have any time to blog on the fins boards at all what with all those women that must be beating down your door.

BTW way to end your hate post with a haterism.

“Dad Cheney Loves to Whip Me!”

Since: Jun 07

CheneyTown, USA

#207 Oct 21, 2007
Woodstrock wrote:
<quoted text>
(yes,'Woodstrock' is the 1981 QB for the Dolphins - Woodley and Strock as the two-headed QB that year.)
First, the Arizona comparison, to be real, really doesn't work here. WH is considered to be a great owner just as you said - because he gives the organization over to his Head Coach and doesn't meddle. Arizona has been a loser franchise for so long because of their owner(s) the Bidwills. So the analogy isn't quite reasonable. That being said, I get your point - none of us are used to this.
But again, to be realistic, we've had two of the worst years of this franchise's history during the last three seasons. Of course we aren't used to this. But welcome to the NFL - the reason Miami is the winningest franchise in all of sports since the merger is because of a lack of these kinds of seasons. I agree, Miami was considered to be one of the model organizations in all of sports, but not now. Not when you can't win. Not when we've had two of the 'hottest' coaches that WH went out and hired, and both of them quit. They both had total control, and still couldn't make it work. Wanny was hired to hopefully maintain stability in the organization, and that worked for a little while as he peaked early, but couldn't make the personnel decisions keep it going. But that's what the rest of the NFL has been going through for decades, and as Dolphins fans, we were spared this. We've been spoiled.
My final point is this: in my opinion, to be a fan is to be inherently optimistic. If you don't have fun with the team, then why bother? If everything that is done is 'doom and gloom', and we write-off the new coach BEFORE he ever coaches a game, why bother even paying attention? Shula isn't going to resurrect the glory years, Marino's not coming off the bench, but lets see if the new coach can move the franchise back in the right direction. And I'll cheer for them and hope they win. But there is no reason at all to blast this new coach and GM when we have yet to even see the team in action.
Thanks for the post.
I was just passing through and saw this post from back in August when the Dolphins had not started their ways yet. Much water has gone under the bridge since then. No reason or point to rehash the miseries.

I just want to point out that you propose that anyone that is a fan has to have a positive outlook or be a cheerleader of sorts instead of a doubter or a devil's advocate or a "hater" as you call them.

It is impossible to look at it the same way as you or others. Everything relates to people's experiences in life and what they have been through and how certain personalities strike you and how their decisions hit you based on personal experiences a person has had. My experiences made me dislike this coach as soon as he started cutting loose established players rather than coming in and easing his way in trying to win 5 or 6 games or more. Then when they got Joey Porter and Trent Green I found too many parallels that brought back bad memories so I am a "hater" of what they are doing from an organizational standpoint. We can all be fans in different ways. Some other fans that I see at games like to drink at games and get blinded by alcohol because that is just another excuse to get drunk and to them they think that they are being great fans by consuming liquor and Huizenga hot dogs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fred Evans Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'Thankful' Joseph rejoins Vikings after shooting (Aug '14) Aug '14 Jake the Zoo Janitor 4
News MCM 2014 Community Mock Draft: The Minnesota Vi... (Apr '14) Apr '14 Laughing Bear Fan 19
News Vikings Still Have Chance At Henry Melton (Mar '14) Mar '14 Laughing bear Fan 5
News Ranking the Minnesota Vikings' Free-Agent Moves (Mar '14) Mar '14 Spielman 2
News Minnesota Vikings Express Interest In Paul Soliai (Mar '14) Mar '14 misterdro80 2
News Minnesota Vikings expect nearly every player to... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News Vikings could be patient players again in draft (Apr '13) Apr '13 old time viking fan 4
More from around the web