Griese, offense take big step backward

Griese, offense take big step backward

There are 24 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Oct 28, 2007, titled Griese, offense take big step backward. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

When Lions linebacker Ernie Sims knocked quarterback Brian Griese down after an incompletion in the fourth quarter of Sunday's 16-7 Bears' loss, Griese grabbed his knee.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Joe H

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#1 Oct 29, 2007
Lets face it you suck Griese! The entire club sucks! Cedric ,you should be arrested for stealing big money from Bears! & No I'm not from ST.Louis! Lets go about 1750 miles west .St.Louis? Give me a break. TRib folks must have a Joe H wannabe from Mo using my name?
Spurrier Consulting

United States

#2 Oct 29, 2007
So the other teams know the Bears signals better than the Bear players? Sounds like a coaching problem. I'm sure that wasn't a problem when Grossman was playing though, just like it wasn't the center's fault the snaps got dropped ...until Greise played.
Michele

United States

#3 Oct 29, 2007
I, for one, am tired of paying outrageous prices for over-inflated tickets to watch a team who lacks any kind of drive. At least last year we had a defense to cheer for but overall, the bears have been dismal for many years. But this team simply doesn't care! So we should just stop paying for tickets and maybe the McCaskys will get the hint. Papa Bear must be rolling in his grave. His baby girl has done a terrible job!
Somebody Wake Up Lovie

United States

#4 Oct 29, 2007
Now you know why Griese was released by this last two teams.. Only the Bears would go with a guy like this.

Why not give Orten a try? He won ten games as a rookie only to be replaced when Grossman's broken leg healed.
Lucas

Buffalo Grove, IL

#5 Oct 29, 2007
You know Haugh:

Your comment :

"The fourth [interception] can be forgiven because it was a desperate heave into the end zone with 52 seconds left."

is ridiculous and shows your lack of knowledge of the game of football. That throw was indicative of the type of pass Griese threw all day: lots of air under it and under thrown. And it is not forgivable since they needed TWO scores, not one. This wasn't a situation where a TD could win it. They could have played a little more to the vest, tried for a field goal, and then if they recovered an onside kick, go for broke. THEN the interception could have been forgiven, but not when you have to get two scores. They way he was throwing that throw was terrible and at a terrible time.

Come on Haugh!
Mike

River Grove, IL

#6 Oct 29, 2007
Just a guess here... they fixed Griese's helmet receiver, and Turner called all the plays yesterday?
Paul

Templeton, CA

#7 Oct 29, 2007
OK, Griese had his chance! Now let's try Grossman again. After being benched, he should be aware that he has to produce or leave the Bears. No Ortman, please!

Why hasn't anyone called for Griese's benching? Save for the last minute touchdown last week, he has done no better than Grossman who is still young and learning!
Beth

Florence, KY

#8 Oct 29, 2007
Kyle Orton, anyone?
Paul

Templeton, CA

#9 Oct 29, 2007
Lucas wrote:
You know Haugh:
Your comment :
"The fourth [interception] can be forgiven because it was a desperate heave into the end zone with 52 seconds left."
is ridiculous and shows your lack of knowledge of the game of football. That throw was indicative of the type of pass Griese threw all day: lots of air under it and under thrown. And it is not forgivable since they needed TWO scores, not one. This wasn't a situation where a TD could win it. They could have played a little more to the vest, tried for a field goal, and then if they recovered an onside kick, go for broke. THEN the interception could have been forgiven, but not when you have to get two scores. They way he was throwing that throw was terrible and at a terrible time.
Come on Haugh!
Where's Grossman now that we need him?
Bill

Sharps, VA

#10 Oct 29, 2007
If it wasn't for the fact that Packer fans are the most irritating, obnoxious and totally ignorant fans in football (next to Patriot fans), I'd nearly be willing to start rooting for the Packers. But, I just can't lower myself to the level of a Packer fan, so I guess I'm stuck being a "die hard Bears fan" like it or not. But, the Bears sure don't make it easy to be a fan. Let's fire the whole team (including the coaches and front office) and start all over next year.
Tim

Romeoville, IL

#11 Oct 29, 2007
Griese isn't awesome but he's still moved the ball better than Grossman did this year. There are so many failures in this game you just can't blame one player.

Benson gain of 3 and out.
Paul

Templeton, CA

#12 Oct 29, 2007
Tim wrote:
Griese isn't awesome but he's still moved the ball better than Grossman did this year. There are so many failures in this game you just can't blame one player.
Benson gain of 3 and out.
I agree Tim, but everybody blamed Grossman for the first three games!
Mike

River Grove, IL

#13 Oct 29, 2007
Joe H wrote:
Lets face it you suck Griese! The entire club sucks! Cedric ,you should be arrested for stealing big money from Bears! & No I'm not from ST.Louis! Lets go about 1750 miles west .St.Louis? Give me a break. TRib folks must have a Joe H wannabe from Mo using my name?
Grossman's apologists kept begging for him to get more chances. Griese has one bad game, and he sucks, a week after he was named NFC offensive player of the week? He still shows more intelligence and leadership than Rex, who preferred to sulk alone on the sideline after bad plays. I have to agree about Benson, he certainly was not watching Jones last year and learning how to be "the man" the Bears expected him to be this year. And if your ISP gateway is in St. Louis, that's where your post address shows up... I'm not in Elmwood Park, either.
Patrick

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#14 Oct 29, 2007
Blaming Griese and Grossman is a waste of time. Much like asking your girlfriend why she doesn't look like Cindy Crawford from 15 years ago. Jerry Angelo is the problem. He put these losers here asked them to perform on levels they are not capable. Angelo chose to look at the mountain of evidence last year that screamed Grossman was overmatched physically and mentally and disregard it. The truth was too difficult for him to accept. That he badly misjudged his talent and we are suffering and will suffer for years because he couldn't care less about the QB position. We could have had John Beck last year, but no...we have a slow, undersized DE from a small school who has a chronic knee problem and will be out of football in 2 years. Angelo's arrogance has driven this team into the ground. Thomas Jones, Archuleta, keeping your hopes on Mike Brown, Danielle Manning???? all huge mistakes. Has Danielle Manning done anything to justify playing in the NFL other than being a high draft pick?
Jack_C

United States

#15 Oct 29, 2007
At this point of the season, have Orton play the remainder. If people remenber, he took the Bears to the play offs as a rookie. He might not have the strong arm, but it was more accurate.
Biba22

Kamloops, Canada

#16 Oct 29, 2007
Looks like Bears have problems in strategy, tactics, execution at every level on both sides of the ball.
Lots of pet projects not panning out but give them full marks for persistence. Some teams are ruthless with their rosters. Out with the old or under performing and in with the new and often pricey. But that won't work , look at the mess it's created in New England.
Henek

Minneapolis, MN

#17 Oct 29, 2007
OK, with the season half over and a bye week, the Bears have two weeks to figure out the quarterback position and should think to the future. Griese is not the answer to put points on the board. Give Grossman or Orton the ball for the second half of the season and decide whether either of them should stick around, or pick up someone different for next year.
Harry

Paso Robles, CA

#18 Oct 29, 2007
Has anyone else noticed that when the defense is on the field, and we get a sideline shot of Griese ....... he's ALWAYS working ..... whether it's taking to people upstairs, or the sideline coaches, or studying game pictures, or talking to Orton.----- And, yes, Orton is almost always right next to Griese.

Did you see Grossman do this ??.....And where is he, now ??? He's not in the sideline shots.----- Probably sitting with Benson, sulking.

Orton is not even activated for the games, yet he constantly prepares.

Grossman is one good hit on Griese, from being put in the game !...... And how is HE preparing?

At least Griese and Orton are TRYING......And, actually, Griese has had only ONE truly terrible game.
Griese fan

Elburn, IL

#19 Oct 29, 2007
I agree with Mike (post #13). Prior to Benching Grossman, Griese had what, maybe 5 snaps in the last 2 years? Then after only his first game people started to ask for Orton?! Griese should get at least as much time as Grossman did to show what he can do--actually he'll be able to do it in a lot less time. The problem is they left Grossman in there way too long...
Rex P

Indianapolis, IN

#20 Oct 29, 2007
Why no comment about the 3rd and 10 where Griese slid down after a 9 yard gain. The punt ultimately led to a field goal. Shouldn't a 10 year vet know where the first down line is?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ernie Sims Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cowboys begin planning for life without Sean Lee (May '14) May '14 Darkness Falls 2
News Dallas Cowboys Should Stay Away From Rolando Mc... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Haleys Commet 2
News If The Price Is Right: 5 Affordable Free Agents (Mar '13) Mar '13 Cowboy fan 1 4
News Dallas Cowboys Add Veteran Depth to Defense (Mar '13) Mar '13 cornelius boulard 2
News Status of Tony Romo's contract extension (Mar '13) Mar '13 Brownie 1
News Dallas Cowboys Looking To Make More Meaningless... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Gstspkr 1
News Vick nestles into third-string QB role (Dec '12) Dec '12 genevalove 6
More from around the web