Tough break for Ravens

Tough break for Ravens

There are 103 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Sep 15, 2008, titled Tough break for Ravens. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

The postponement forced by Hurricane Ike has turned the Ravens' schedule into perhaps the most demanding in the NFL .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Scott G

Alexandria, VA

#1 Sep 15, 2008
I am heartened that the players and coaches are taking this in stride. Unlike many posters and bloggers (PRESTON).There was a time, oh, 10 years ago, when there were no byes. Its unfortunate, yes, but to listen to the posters suggesting this was some grand conspiracy (PRESTON) by the NFL against Balitmore, good gravy people. Its a game. It will still be played. If the Ravens have a good enough team to make the playoffs/Super Bowl, this little thing will not impede that.
Mr Football

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#2 Sep 15, 2008
That's where you're wrong, Scott. With an injury prone veteran team it's key to get the bye later in the season. Plus, you forget the little fact that 10 years ago EVERY team was without a bye. There was no competitive disadvantage because it was the same for every team. Now, when most teams get the week to recover both mentally and physically, the Ravens will be on a stretch of 5 out of 6 road games. BTW, are you on your way to Houston yet for the recovery efforts?
veedub

Englewood, CO

#3 Sep 15, 2008
Mr. Football, I honestly think you need to get over it. If you're the same person as the Mr. Football calling for Goodell's head over on PFT, then you could not be anymore over-the-top and reactionary. The NFL had no choice but to postpone the game, as Bob McNair did not want to lose home game revenue. It's unfortunate the players have to suffer as a result, but it is what it is. After all, the NFL is a business first.

The Ravens coaches and players have all seemed to move on, so why can't fans? People are saying the NFL hates Baltimore, and that Goodell is just a stooge of Tagliabue. Nonsense. The NFL had no choice but to cancel the game. The Texans refused to move the game. Period.

Let it go. We have an opportunity to bury the Clowns this Sunday, and it's time to focus on them.
Scott G

Alexandria, VA

#4 Sep 15, 2008
Mr Football wrote:
That's where you're wrong, Scott. With an injury prone veteran team it's key to get the bye later in the season. Plus, you forget the little fact that 10 years ago EVERY team was without a bye. There was no competitive disadvantage because it was the same for every team. Now, when most teams get the week to recover both mentally and physically, the Ravens will be on a stretch of 5 out of 6 road games. BTW, are you on your way to Houston yet for the recovery efforts?
Get a grip Baltimoron. Its a game. If the Ravens are worthy of a playoff spot, this makes no difference. All i have read from the ilk like you is "this is going to affect us so badly" think of the Houston players. If I was reading this rag from down there, I wouold be ready to cream our asses. You, like the dolt you are, are only feeding fuel to the flame.
RavenMad

United States

#5 Sep 15, 2008
veedub wrote:
Mr. Football, I honestly think you need to get over it. If you're the same person as the Mr. Football calling for Goodell's head over on PFT, then you could not be anymore over-the-top and reactionary. The NFL had no choice but to postpone the game, as Bob McNair did not want to lose home game revenue. It's unfortunate the players have to suffer as a result, but it is what it is. After all, the NFL is a business first.
The Ravens coaches and players have all seemed to move on, so why can't fans? People are saying the NFL hates Baltimore, and that Goodell is just a stooge of Tagliabue. Nonsense. The NFL had no choice but to cancel the game. The Texans refused to move the game. Period.
Let it go. We have an opportunity to bury the Clowns this Sunday, and it's time to focus on them.
I didn't see where Mr Football said anything about Tags or the NFL screwing Baltimore because they have it in for Baltimore. I have read the PFT posts as well and a lot of people make very valid point that self righteous people like Scott try to lump in to some kind of insensitivity regarding the citizens of Houston. I ask that you check out comments from the Houston Astros owner regarding them having to move their games to Milwaukee. Very classy and much more realistic then what most people are saying. He says it's a business and the show must go on and that playing games in a neutral stadium is nothing compared to what the citizens of Houston are going through. All people are doing is calling out Goodell for making a boneheaded decision. To try to make people look like they are insensitive by doing that is irresponsible and ignorant. The two thought processes are mutually exclusive.
pstroms

Concord, CA

#6 Sep 15, 2008
MLB did it right by moving the Astros/Cubs series. Kind of embarrassing for Goodell that Selig did the right thing and actually was the better commish in this situation.
Old Fan

Parkville, MD

#7 Sep 15, 2008
To those of you who are worried about the Ravens loosing their bye to hurricane IKE, shame on you. That these bunch of overpaid spoiled little brats have to work 15 straight weeks I say. TOO DAMN BAD !!! What about the days when there was no bye and they played 16 weeks straight. What happened, their little pinky hurts and they need a week off. Oh, I'm sorry. Go get a real job you cry babies. And the same goes for the sports reporters in this town who think it is a conspiracy against Baltimore, I say GROW UP. I've been a football fan since 1953 when the Colts first came here and I've never seen such a bunch of greedy, selfish bunch of athletes as there are is sports today. I think the well being of the people of Texas and those who were devastated by the events of hurricane IKE are far more important than a damn football game and the people that have to rearange their schedule because of it. So to the NFL and the sports reporters alike you can go to H***!
Mr Football

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#8 Sep 15, 2008
veedub wrote:
I'm not saying they screwed us because we're Baltimore. I think Goodell has done a very poor job of commisioner since he's taken over from Tags. Not that I like Tags but the few opportunities that Goodell's had to make an executive decision he's screwed up. I love the game of football and don't want to see it damaged. That is where my passion comes from on this. Last Thursday when Goodell made the call I knew it was a failed plan and stated so on several sites. It was so obvious back then that it was wrong which is so frustrating to me now. The only reason I'm keeping this up now is in response to those individuals that seem to want to make fans look like terrible people for being upset and trying to tie it into some sort of insensitive or inhumane attitude towards the hurricane victims. I consider them to be very ignorant and classless people. If this was a blog about supporting the hurricane victims and rebuilding the city and people were on here talking about football and not caring about the victims I would be the first to criticize, but this is a FOOTBALL post. Those types of people just want to feel better about themselves by putting down others. Very classless and petty.
Mr Football

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#9 Sep 15, 2008
Old Fan wrote:
To those of you who are worried about the Ravens loosing their bye to hurricane IKE, shame on you. That these bunch of overpaid spoiled little brats have to work 15 straight weeks I say. TOO DAMN BAD !!! What about the days when there was no bye and they played 16 weeks straight. What happened, their little pinky hurts and they need a week off. Oh, I'm sorry. Go get a real job you cry babies. And the same goes for the sports reporters in this town who think it is a conspiracy against Baltimore, I say GROW UP. I've been a football fan since 1953 when the Colts first came here and I've never seen such a bunch of greedy, selfish bunch of athletes as there are is sports today. I think the well being of the people of Texas and those who were devastated by the events of hurricane IKE are far more important than a damn football game and the people that have to rearange their schedule because of it. So to the NFL and the sports reporters alike you can go to H***!
Thank you for providing me an example of the classless people I was talking about. I'm sure you wrote a couple of checks already for the Houston Hurrican Relief fund, right? I didn't think so.
Josh

Royal Oak, MI

#10 Sep 15, 2008
Scott G wrote:
I am heartened that the players and coaches are taking this in stride. Unlike many posters and bloggers (PRESTON).There was a time, oh, 10 years ago, when there were no byes. Its unfortunate, yes, but to listen to the posters suggesting this was some grand conspiracy (PRESTON) by the NFL against Balitmore, good gravy people. Its a game. It will still be played. If the Ravens have a good enough team to make the playoffs/Super Bowl, this little thing will not impede that.
I agree, even though I was frustrated about how the NFL mishandled this situation, I still hope that the team will come together and play some good football.
Scott G

Alexandria, VA

#11 Sep 15, 2008
RavenMad wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't see where Mr Football said anything about Tags or the NFL screwing Baltimore because they have it in for Baltimore. I have read the PFT posts as well and a lot of people make very valid point that self righteous people like Scott try to lump in to some kind of insensitivity regarding the citizens of Houston. I ask that you check out comments from the Houston Astros owner regarding them having to move their games to Milwaukee. Very classy and much more realistic then what most people are saying. He says it's a business and the show must go on and that playing games in a neutral stadium is nothing compared to what the citizens of Houston are going through. All people are doing is calling out Goodell for making a boneheaded decision. To try to make people look like they are insensitive by doing that is irresponsible and ignorant. The two thought processes are mutually exclusive.
ROTFLMAO,, to call me self righteous, That made my day!!!

I have been called the most insensitive bastard over the course of this same weekend. LOL. Now I have trulty realized what retards are out there in the world. I have been called a heartless bastard in one forum, to a jerk know nothing in this. Well, so be it. But I will still speak my mind. This was the right move. Disappointing, yes, but I am not going to get my panties in an uproar because it was postponed, as many of you seem to have done. S*** happens. Deal with it. The Ravens seem to be taking it that way, why can't you?
Scott G

Alexandria, VA

#12 Sep 15, 2008
Mr Football wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not saying they screwed us because we're Baltimore. I think Goodell has done a very poor job of commisioner since he's taken over from Tags. Not that I like Tags but the few opportunities that Goodell's had to make an executive decision he's screwed up. I love the game of football and don't want to see it damaged. That is where my passion comes from on this. Last Thursday when Goodell made the call I knew it was a failed plan and stated so on several sites. It was so obvious back then that it was wrong which is so frustrating to me now. The only reason I'm keeping this up now is in response to those individuals that seem to want to make fans look like terrible people for being upset and trying to tie it into some sort of insensitive or inhumane attitude towards the hurricane victims. I consider them to be very ignorant and classless people. If this was a blog about supporting the hurricane victims and rebuilding the city and people were on here talking about football and not caring about the victims I would be the first to criticize, but this is a FOOTBALL post. Those types of people just want to feel better about themselves by putting down others. Very classless and petty.
Very clumsy backtracking. Dont quit your day job.
Scott G

Alexandria, VA

#13 Sep 15, 2008
Josh wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, even though I was frustrated about how the NFL mishandled this situation, I still hope that the team will come together and play some good football.
Amen. It was making the best of the bad situation. It sucks, no doubt, but we have to keep things in perspective.

GO RAVENS!!!!
Mr Football

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#14 Sep 15, 2008
Scott G wrote:
<quoted text>
Very clumsy backtracking. Dont quit your day job.
Backtracking, hardly. If you would actually read the posts and arguments instead of being so quick to judge then maybe you would learn something.
Ron

Hagerstown, MD

#15 Sep 15, 2008
To all those who think the NFL did the right thing take a look at the pictures of Reliant Stadium. The amount of damage that facility incurred will not only not be repaired by October 5 when the Texans are scheduled to play a game there, and not in November for the Ravens game it will be a lot longer than that! It took almost a year to repair the dome in New Orleans after Katrina and while the damage does not look as bad 90 days would represent a miracle at this time. So the schedule re-arrangement was a farce, the NFL just did not want to face the fact that they would have to move the games elsewhere and besides it was only the "Ravens" who they consider a second rate team in a second rate city.

Signed 35 years in construction!
veedub

Englewood, CO

#16 Sep 15, 2008
Whether you think it was right or wrong, the decision to postpone the game has been made. The coaches, team, and fans need to accept it and move on. The Texans owners did not want to lose the home game revenue, and Goodell evidently couldn't overrule him. You have already formed a negative opinion on Goodell, so you're simply not being objective in this case imo. I agree that it was a bit myopic to think that Reliant would hold up under Ike, but the Texans shouldn't have had to play football this weekend regardless. They have much bigger issues to deal with right now.

Also, just because you think the show must go on even though Houston is in shambles right doesn't necessarily make you insensitive, but you have to realize that football was the last thing on anyone's list.

It's true the Ravens lost their bye week, and it will put the team at a disadvantage for the rest of the year. It sucks, but what are you going to do? Cry about it, or move on and focus on the Browns. I chose the latter. The Ravens will be fine.
Jake

United States

#17 Sep 15, 2008
Scott G wrote:
HA,HA,HA,HA "good gravy". I have not heard that phrase in like 20 years.

Sorry, as much as I love the Ravens. I don't think they make the playoffs this year.
Go Ravens!
webster

Silver Spring, MD

#18 Sep 15, 2008
Have to agree with the players on this. They've accepted the change and will deal with it. The players probably understand that folks in Houston have it a lot tougher.

Let's not forget that football is a game played by way overpaid athletes. It's not real life, it's entertainment.
Mr Football

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#19 Sep 15, 2008
Ron wrote:
To all those who think the NFL did the right thing take a look at the pictures of Reliant Stadium. The amount of damage that facility incurred will not only not be repaired by October 5 when the Texans are scheduled to play a game there, and not in November for the Ravens game it will be a lot longer than that! It took almost a year to repair the dome in New Orleans after Katrina and while the damage does not look as bad 90 days would represent a miracle at this time. So the schedule re-arrangement was a farce, the NFL just did not want to face the fact that they would have to move the games elsewhere and besides it was only the "Ravens" who they consider a second rate team in a second rate city.
Signed 35 years in construction!
The real question is why would anyone build a stadium in a hurricane prone area that cannot stand up to the winds of a Cat. 2 hurrican? Before the Hurricane hit there was a quote from one on the property managers saying the roof was not designed to withstand 100mph winds. Whomever made that decision should be fired. Not that it would have made a difference this week because of damage to the surrounding infrastructure but have some common sense. Aren't buildings in hurricane prone areas supposed to be built to some kind of code, kinda like buildings are in California for earthquakes?
FireTrembley

United States

#20 Sep 15, 2008
Yeah tough break for the Ravens. They had their bye week moved. How about the thousands of people that just lost their homes in Galveston? Preston needs to get a clue.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ed Reed Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New England Patriots: Ed Reed A Possibility at ... (Nov '13) Jul '14 Flatulence Fred 29
News NFL: Houston Texans cut Ed Reed, put Arian Fost... (Nov '13) Apr '14 This is Jeopardy 4
News 2014 NFL Draft: Should New York Jets Draft a CB... (Apr '14) Apr '14 1969 Super Bowl 5
News Texans' Keo sees role increase (Sep '13) Sep '13 obidiah faletoi 1
News Safety depth becoming a concern for Texans (Sep '13) Sep '13 frank 1
News Predicting Every NFL Team's Record in 2013-14 (Feb '13) Aug '13 Realistic 14
News My thoughts and an overview of every Houston Te... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Buck 1
More from around the web