McClain helps carry load vs. Bengals

McClain helps carry load vs. Bengals

There are 19 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Sep 7, 2008, titled McClain helps carry load vs. Bengals. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Of all the surprises the Ravens sprung on the Cincinnati Bengals in their 17-10 season-opening victory Sunday, none was more unexpected than the emergence of fullback Le'Ron McClain.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

Since: Aug 08

Chestertown, MD

#1 Sep 7, 2008
Although our offensive line did a great job of creating holes, as did Lorenzo Neal, I believe that we must keep this in perspective. This is a big strong full back first guy against a Cincinatti Bengal's defense that has shown over past years that they cannot defend the run. Once McClain got through the first hole, he was a tough takedown though. This could give the offense more confidence, especially, because of McGahee's status. Most of us had a sense that Ray Rice would be alright, but with Willis hurt some questioned where a second punch could come from. Houston suffered a bad lost to Pittsburgh today and they may be a bit upset by the time we get to town. Nevertheless, I do not know how you can remedy giving up so much yardage so quickly. Especially when you know that a team such as Pittsburgh is going to be a run first team. I think that we can have yet another great performance with the running game next Sunday against the Texans and an even better attack if McGahee is out on the field. I say that because keeping Willis on the sidelines today showed that Harbaugh and Cameron will not put McGahee out there unless they know that he will be effective.
jokerRavenFan

United States

#2 Sep 7, 2008
love it! Great game! I'm whacko for Flacco!
RoryBellows

Cross River, NY

#3 Sep 7, 2008
"It wasn't clear to McClain and Rice that they would play a significant role in today's game because McGahee dressed for the game after despite being limited in practice last week after undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his left knee last month."

The Sun may want to edit that paragraph, it nearly caused a seizure reading it.
Cornell

Manchester, MD

#4 Sep 7, 2008
Great game with great results and the team is off and running. Willis should provide yet another weapon for flacco and the Baltimore leaving bruises all over you squad. Hats off to Coach as he didn't shoot his self int the foot like Billick would do in many of the those situations. Cam called an intelligent/logical game and Flacco knew he had support from all concerned. Kick butt and ask questions later. Whats up with Heap ?
DeeJay

Montgomery Village, MD

#5 Sep 7, 2008
The crowd was awesome! Wow the stadium was rocking! I said it weeks ago that the football gods are on this guy's side. Flacco was phenomenal! This guy had me thinking of Peyton and Brady. Cam called a great game. We cannot forget or take for granted our tremendous DEFENSE! The refs called a ticky tack call on the Figurs touchdown run. For years we have been waiting for a blue collar in your face coach and a special quarterback. Thank God Almighty that Jason Garrett turned us down. Flacco does not make stupid mistakes. Take a trip down memory lane Ravens fans. In 2000 we went to the superbowl with great special teams, incredible Defense, and Matt Stover as our offense. Something special is developing here this year guys. Go Ravens!!!
Rebuilding

Dundalk, MD

#6 Sep 7, 2008
Like I said coming into this game I was one of those people that had their questions about McGahee. But now i'm very optimistic because the way Cam worked the offense today using every weapon he had encourages me that he will find a way to utilize the best of McGahee's ability. This guy can cut well and has great speed. Go ravens.
billindel

Harrington, DE

#7 Sep 7, 2008
while joe did fairly well in managing the game he still missed those short passes in the flat.but something tells me he might just be the guy. cool and calm no matter what. that's half of what it takes to be the quarterback.if he can adjust and make all the throws it could get exciting.
jeffro

Pittsboro, NC

#8 Sep 7, 2008
McClain is a serious power back, looks like Jamal running over top of people. That just wears down defenses.
Long Time Fan

Baltimore, MD

#10 Sep 7, 2008
It was also good not see the team make so many stupid penalties -- although Samari Rolle throwing the ball after the interception is the same old knuckleheaded crap that we saw all too often under Billick. I hope Harbaugh puts a foot up his butt and takes care of the stupid penalties and grandstanding after making a tackle that has been so commonplace.

I remember the old-school ways, like the young player back in the day who scored a touchdown and got all excited in the endzone. When he got back to the bench, the other players on his team gave him the cold shoulder, and the coach came up to him and said, "Nice touchdown, kid, but you need to act like you've been in the endzone before."

Personally, I'm fed up with all the antics of the players when they are doing their job, and I sincerely hope this is one more area that Harbaugh brings to an end.

It's time for these guys to focus on the game and not on the show.
eddie

Miami, FL

#11 Sep 7, 2008
When u mention backs - don't forget Neal his blocking was awesome--great job
Long Time Fan

Baltimore, MD

#12 Sep 7, 2008
Todd Heap stunk up the place.
Peej

Corinth, MS

#13 Sep 7, 2008
Just saw the NFL.com highlights of the game - it looks like the team came to play serious Ravens-style football.

The offense only gave up turnovers (too much but when compared to last year...), and the defense brought both attitude and skill to shut down one of the premier QBs in the AFC.

Only one game is not a great "scientific sample" on which to judge, but I sure did like what I saw and heard!
Peej

Corinth, MS

#14 Sep 7, 2008
Long Time Fan wrote:
It was also good not see the team make so many stupid penalties -- although Samari Rolle throwing the ball after the interception is the same old knuckleheaded crap that we saw all too often under Billick. I hope Harbaugh puts a foot up his butt and takes care of the stupid penalties and grandstanding after making a tackle that has been so commonplace.
I remember the old-school ways, like the young player back in the day who scored a touchdown and got all excited in the endzone. When he got back to the bench, the other players on his team gave him the cold shoulder, and the coach came up to him and said, "Nice touchdown, kid, but you need to act like you've been in the endzone before."
Personally, I'm fed up with all the antics of the players when they are doing their job, and I sincerely hope this is one more area that Harbaugh brings to an end.
It's time for these guys to focus on the game and not on the show.
Great point. I can remember Paul Warfield, Jerry Rice and others who did just what you observed. They acted like they had been in the end zone before - and acted like doing their jobs was not a big deal!
Peej

Corinth, MS

#15 Sep 7, 2008
Another observation - I was greatly and pleasantly surprised to see the OTHER TEAM's defense act like they were not sure what was coming next!

We do not have to have a great offense - just one that can score some points and keep the ball on the other team's side of the field.

Perhaps this is the start of a great Ravens upward trend.

As an ex-Marylander, you guys deserve to enjoy games, not suffer through them.

Good luck!
Long Time Fan

Baltimore, MD

#16 Sep 7, 2008
Terrell Suggs is one of the worst showboats.

If he makes a tackle, he walks towards the sideline and does a double arm flex like he is Hercules or something.

He is another one who needs to knock it off.

(Hey, Terrell, you are just doing your job.)

Because if this stuff doesn't stop, it will lead to stuff like that meltdown last year in the last minutes against the Patriots.

The lack of team discipline shown in that game, including Billick blowing kisses to one of the Patriots players, is in my opinion, what cost Billick his job in Baltimore.

That game, and the later fiasco against Miami, were defeats that were the result of the lack of team discipline.

This area must be addressed by Harbaugh if the Ravens hope to contend.
Long Time Fan

Baltimore, MD

#17 Sep 7, 2008
I also think the defensive showboating has hurt the team's reputation across the country.

All those years of defensive excellence, and I think that they are disrespected across the country. I rarely hear much about them, despite the fact that they are turning out to have one of the better strings of excellence historically in the NFL.

That's because they act like a bunch of thugs and prima donnas. Except for Kelly Gregg and a couple of others.

They need to act like professionals.

That better attitude will carry over into the other intangibles of their game.
helllooo

Baltimore, MD

#18 Sep 8, 2008
Ray Rice was good, but there were some inside runs where Willis would have made more yards and you'd think he wouldn't have had that fumble and would've made that big catch which was about a 14 point swing. I'll be happy to have Willis back. The dude is a top back I hate the sun trashing him all the time. He's a lazy practicer, preseasoner. Last years 2.something carry average but portis and LT are "lazy" in the preseason too. Backs get pounded all year they need to pace themselves, mcgahee does just that.
KyleProBoller7

United States

#19 Sep 8, 2008
We'll need 20+ carries from Willis to stay competitive this year. We just played the worst defense in the league. If McGahee can come back and play well and Heap can stay healthy and hold onto the ball we will be a force on both sides of the ball this year. Good to see progress in Bmore.
Peej

Corinth, MS

#20 Sep 9, 2008
helllooo wrote:
Ray Rice was good, but there were some inside runs where Willis would have made more yards and you'd think he wouldn't have had that fumble and would've made that big catch which was about a 14 point swing. I'll be happy to have Willis back. The dude is a top back I hate the sun trashing him all the time. He's a lazy practicer, preseasoner. Last years 2.something carry average but portis and LT are "lazy" in the preseason too. Backs get pounded all year they need to pace themselves, mcgahee does just that.
Hey, relax! You cannot say that Willis would have done this or that...

Rice played a good game running inside. The fumble could be a rookie mistake, if it happens too many times then that will be another problem.

It's nice that Willis can have an extra week to get that knee stronger -nice to have FOUR backs that can run!

The O-line must be smiling collectively about that - anyone they put behind this line will run hard and punish defenders!`

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ed Reed Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New England Patriots: Ed Reed A Possibility at ... (Nov '13) Jul '14 Flatulence Fred 29
News NFL: Houston Texans cut Ed Reed, put Arian Fost... (Nov '13) Apr '14 This is Jeopardy 4
News 2014 NFL Draft: Should New York Jets Draft a CB... (Apr '14) Apr '14 1969 Super Bowl 5
News Texans' Keo sees role increase (Sep '13) Sep '13 obidiah faletoi 1
News Safety depth becoming a concern for Texans (Sep '13) Sep '13 frank 1
News Predicting Every NFL Team's Record in 2013-14 (Feb '13) Aug '13 Realistic 14
News My thoughts and an overview of every Houston Te... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Buck 1
More from around the web