Most Valuable Raven? Cameron's the right call

There are 20 comments on the Dec 12, 2008, Baltimore Sun story titled Most Valuable Raven? Cameron's the right call. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Is it Ed Reed? Or Ray Lewis? Or perhaps Joe Flacco? But there's no debate when choosing the team's Most Valuable Person - Cam Cameron.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Chi Chi

Towson, MD

#1 Dec 12, 2008
A. Billick was only offensive coordinator for about 1.75 years (12 games in 2006 and all of 2007).

B. If you want to compare apples-to-apples, how did Cameron fare in his first year as a head coach (one win with Miami last year) compared to Billick (8-8 with a franchise that never had a winning record)?

C. What is Miami's record this year without Cameron?

D. The Ravens "adundant" scoring this year is still lower than Billick's 2003 Ravens with Kyle Boller and Anthony Wright at quarterback.

E. Half of the story is devoted a gutsy call that ultimately resulted in...a field goal. Sound familiar?

F. This is the same writer who criticized Billick for throwing the ball on 3rd-and-short in the 2007 season-opener vs. the Bengals (Derrick Mason, like Heap vs. the Skins, was wide open on the play). Now he's praising "unpredictible play-calling"?

G. Joe Flacco is the difference in the offense. The X's and O's mean nothing without the John's and the Joe's.
Bob

Baltimore, MD

#2 Dec 12, 2008
I sure hope the Ravens don't lose Cam to another as a head coach...at least until 2010 season
SevernDave

Fort George G Meade, MD

#3 Dec 12, 2008
Chi Chi wrote:
A. Billick was only offensive coordinator for about 1.75 years (12 games in 2006 and all of 2007).
B. If you want to compare apples-to-apples, how did Cameron fare in his first year as a head coach (one win with Miami last year) compared to Billick (8-8 with a franchise that never had a winning record)?
C. What is Miami's record this year without Cameron?
D. The Ravens "adundant" scoring this year is still lower than Billick's 2003 Ravens with Kyle Boller and Anthony Wright at quarterback.
E. Half of the story is devoted a gutsy call that ultimately resulted in...a field goal. Sound familiar?
F. This is the same writer who criticized Billick for throwing the ball on 3rd-and-short in the 2007 season-opener vs. the Bengals (Derrick Mason, like Heap vs. the Skins, was wide open on the play). Now he's praising "unpredictible play-calling"?
G. Joe Flacco is the difference in the offense. The X's and O's mean nothing without the John's and the Joe's.
A. So what! Billick should've hired an offensive coordinator and LET HIM DO HIS JOB!!! That's my biggest complaint with him. His ego was too big to allow that, though. He always had to maintain control of the offense -- and it never worked!
B. Good point. Maybe Cameron is simply NOT a head coach. Could be. Or maybe he had zero talent to work with.
C. And their QB is Chad Pennington and NOT Cleo Lemon!! Might have something to do with it.
D - G. Anybody who's been watching the RAVENS over the last 10 years can see the difference in this year's offense vs. the last 9 --- whether the numbers reflect a huge difference or not. And you're right, Joe Flacco throwing the ball more accurately than Boller could ever DREAM of throwing it is a major factor. But the creativity and the unpredictability that we show now is really refreshing. And as the rookie QB and the young offensive line continue to grow, it's only gonna get better. Hope Cameron stays around for at least one more year!

Since: Nov 07

Baltimore, MD

#4 Dec 12, 2008
SevernDave wrote:
<quoted text>
A. So what! Billick should've hired an offensive coordinator and LET HIM DO HIS JOB!!! That's my biggest complaint with him. His ego was too big to allow that, though. He always had to maintain control of the offense -- and it never worked!
B. Good point. Maybe Cameron is simply NOT a head coach. Could be. Or maybe he had zero talent to work with.
C. And their QB is Chad Pennington and NOT Cleo Lemon!! Might have something to do with it.
D - G. Anybody who's been watching the RAVENS over the last 10 years can see the difference in this year's offense vs. the last 9 --- whether the numbers reflect a huge difference or not. And you're right, Joe Flacco throwing the ball more accurately than Boller could ever DREAM of throwing it is a major factor. But the creativity and the unpredictability that we show now is really refreshing. And as the rookie QB and the young offensive line continue to grow, it's only gonna get better. Hope Cameron stays around for at least one more year!
2nd post today I agree with 100%. I haven't seen Chi Chi post for a while, but his former posts were almost always pro-Billick drivel.
Fells Point Craig

College Park, MD

#5 Dec 12, 2008
Hensley my man, you are quite correct! Cam has the knack for the right play at the right time. Go Ravens!
Peej

Atlanta, GA

#6 Dec 12, 2008
SevernDave wrote:
<quoted text>
A. So what! Billick should've hired an offensive coordinator and LET HIM DO HIS JOB ... But the creativity and the unpredictability that we show now is really refreshing. And as the rookie QB and the young offensive line continue to grow, it's only gonna get better. Hope Cameron stays around for at least one more year!
Despite all the gimmicks, creativity, unpredictability, etc., the core of this year's Ravens offense is that it is playing fundamentally sound football. Without the fundamentals, the gimmick plays would not work.

For that I credit Cam, Harbaugh and the players. It seems like Harbaugh's "team first" mentality has wrought great changes in the Ravens.

For a fan, the biggest difference, other than the record, is that it is now fun to watch the Ravens on BOTH sides of the ball.
Peej

Atlanta, GA

#7 Dec 12, 2008
Chi Chi wrote:
B. If you want to compare apples-to-apples, how did Cameron fare in his first year as a head coach (one win with Miami last year) compared to Billick (8-8 with a franchise that never had a winning record)?
OK, Chi Chi, let's compare apples to apples: How does Harbaugh compare with Billick in the first year record?

Cam Cameron is recognized as having had great success as an offensive coordinator at San Diego and elsewhere. Oh, by the way, despite a horrible year, Cam did beat Billick head-to-head.
Chi Chi wrote:
D. The Ravens "adundant" scoring this year is still lower than Billick's 2003 Ravens with Kyle Boller and Anthony Wright at quarterback.
True. However, Billick's 2003 Ravens also had a veteran offensive line, Jamal Lewis, etc. They also had more turnovers that put the defense in poor field position.
Chi Chi wrote:
E. Half of the story is devoted a gutsy call that ultimately resulted in...a field goal. Sound familiar?
Yes. And after that call, the team chewed up another 5 minutes or so off the clock of a game in which they were ahead significantly. Maybe they only needed a field goal!
Chi Chi wrote:
G. Joe Flacco is the difference in the offense. The X's and O's mean nothing without the John's and the Joe's.
The difference is more than Joe. We now have a number of pieces we did not have before: 1) Flacco; 2) exciting running backs; 3) a good, young and athletic offensive line; 4) two good possession receivers (and one great one); 5) an OC that knows how to get the most from his players; and, last but not least, 6) a Head Coach who lets his coordinators do their jobs.
ocjohn

Berlin, MD

#8 Dec 12, 2008
Peej, I agree with your assessment. They spoke of the TEAM concept, so be it. The team for MVP.
Ravensman

Edgewater, MD

#9 Dec 12, 2008
I love Cam, but I think the offensive line coach, Matsco, should also get some credit. After all, you can't do much offensively if your QB is laying on his back all game.
kevin

Rosedale, MD

#10 Dec 12, 2008
If Cam's the MVP than John Matsko is the unsung hero for the work he has done with the offensive line. Even Chris Chester is starting to not look like a huge bust. What a difference solid coaching makes.
Rich

Marion, IA

#11 Dec 12, 2008
Chi Chi wrote:
A. Billick was only offensive coordinator for about 1.75 years (12 games in 2006 and all of 2007).
B. If you want to compare apples-to-apples, how did Cameron fare in his first year as a head coach (one win with Miami last year) compared to Billick (8-8 with a franchise that never had a winning record)?
C. What is Miami's record this year without Cameron?
D. The Ravens "adundant" scoring this year is still lower than Billick's 2003 Ravens with Kyle Boller and Anthony Wright at quarterback.
E. Half of the story is devoted a gutsy call that ultimately resulted in...a field goal. Sound familiar?
F. This is the same writer who criticized Billick for throwing the ball on 3rd-and-short in the 2007 season-opener vs. the Bengals (Derrick Mason, like Heap vs. the Skins, was wide open on the play). Now he's praising "unpredictible play-calling"?
G. Joe Flacco is the difference in the offense. The X's and O's mean nothing without the John's and the Joe's.


Well well here's Chi chi again, the Waverly idiot, pretending to be from Towson.. Here the Ravens give us a all around quality football season, the likes of which we have not seen since the '50's,'60's and in a small part the '70's. Good, hard nosed, intergerity laced football. What a season with prospects galore of great games ahead and maybe the play-offs. The Steelers at home with the division lead at stake. Then the Cowboys in Dallas all on national TV. What more can a fan ask of there football team? Chi Chi like I've said before, and it may be true, you sound like a old bitter woman. As Billick was blowing kisses to Rodney Harrison during the New England game last year, I can see you cheering from the sidelines fo your TV.
ehmannie

Baltimore, MD

#12 Dec 12, 2008
I have never been one who overly emphasised coaching over talent on the field, but I think you got this one right. Cam is a serious offensive mind. I hope Neuheisel and Canvenaugh and Fassell and Billick are watching the Ravens this season; so they can finally put that 8-year con game of an offensive strategy to rest. The problem with the old crew is that they may have understood offenses quite well, but it appears that Cam uderstands defenses too. Go Cam, you da man!
waspman

Towson, MD

#13 Dec 12, 2008
The biggest stat that supports Cam Cameron's contribution is rushing yardage. The Ravens are very near the top in rushing yards per game and very near the bottom in rushing yards per play.

You can only have this kind of quirky stat if the rushing play is used wisely. Obviously, it has been used enough to set up the successful play-action passes. Quite often, it has been used to gain first downs when only a yard or two was necessary. This keeps drives alive which enhances scoring opportunities, time of possession and field position. Typically, the larger gains in the rushing game come in situations when a rush won't probably work -- except it does.

The Ravens averaging 3.8 yards per carry will need to improve in the future but Cameron has squeezed out a ton of success with what he has been getting as well.

Oh, and he has done a fine job with a rookie QB as well (not to take away credit from the QB himself or the QB coach).
waspman

Towson, MD

#14 Dec 12, 2008
Can we evaluate Cameron, Harbaugh and whoever else without bringing Billick into the conversation?

No one is going to convince me the Ravens won 60-some percent of their games despite him and lost 30-some percent because of him any more than I am going to convince the Billick-detractors that anything breathing and wearing a headset is better than he.
Glenn Small

Arlington, VA

#15 Dec 12, 2008
Chi Chi forgot to nominate Billick as this year's most valuable Raven person -- for leaving!

He was a good coach in years one and two but after the Super Bowl and "Hard Knocks" Billick fell in love with himself. He single handedly denied the Ravens a second Super Bowl by refusing to play Randall Cunningham in the playoff loss to Pittsburgh, sticking with his boy Elis "give me a tissue" Cryback.

Billick fostered a crybaby mentality -- no respect, the refs are against us, etc.-- never his fault.

Hopefully, he can continue his career in Cleveland.
Steelers to Win 31-3

Jamaica, NY

#16 Dec 12, 2008
That is all.
larry g

Ellicott City, MD

#17 Dec 12, 2008
Peej wrote:
<quoted text>
Despite all the gimmicks, creativity, unpredictability, etc., the core of this year's Ravens offense is that it is playing fundamentally sound football. Without the fundamentals, the gimmick plays would not work.
For that I credit Cam, Harbaugh and the players. It seems like Harbaugh's "team first" mentality has wrought great changes in the Ravens.
For a fan, the biggest difference, other than the record, is that it is now fun to watch the Ravens on BOTH sides of the ball.
I agree

Since: Nov 07

Baltimore, MD

#18 Dec 12, 2008
Ravensman wrote:
I love Cam, but I think the offensive line coach, Matsco, should also get some credit. After all, you can't do much offensively if your QB is laying on his back all game.
BINGO!(Although it's Matsko, not Matsco. Matsco sounds like some discount warehouse store. LOL)

Since: Nov 07

Baltimore, MD

#19 Dec 12, 2008
kevin wrote:
If Cam's the MVP than John Matsko is the unsung hero for the work he has done with the offensive line. Even Chris Chester is starting to not look like a huge bust. What a difference solid coaching makes.
Absolutely. And it even includes getting Adam Terry to finally be able to play RT. Foerester was a total fraud.

Since: Sep 07

Fallston, MD

#20 Dec 12, 2008
Chi Chi wrote:
A. Billick was only offensive coordinator for about 1.75 years (12 games in 2006 and all of 2007).
B. If you want to compare apples-to-apples, how did Cameron fare in his first year as a head coach (one win with Miami last year) compared to Billick (8-8 with a franchise that never had a winning record)?
C. What is Miami's record this year without Cameron?
D. The Ravens "adundant" scoring this year is still lower than Billick's 2003 Ravens with Kyle Boller and Anthony Wright at quarterback.
E. Half of the story is devoted a gutsy call that ultimately resulted in...a field goal. Sound familiar?
F. This is the same writer who criticized Billick for throwing the ball on 3rd-and-short in the 2007 season-opener vs. the Bengals (Derrick Mason, like Heap vs. the Skins, was wide open on the play). Now he's praising "unpredictible play-calling"?
G. Joe Flacco is the difference in the offense. The X's and O's mean nothing without the John's and the Joe's.
I don't care how you compare it. Billick was always the 'O' and therefore always to blame. He had talent on the team but the inablity to use it. He showed us that for 9 years. My regret is that it took us that long to get rid of him. I often wonder how many SB we could have won if it were not for his incompetence. Oh Well. Water under the bridge. Now we have a legitimate offense to go with a dominant defense... let's see where it takes us. BTW - it is more than Flacco.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ed Reed Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New England Patriots: Ed Reed A Possibility at ... (Nov '13) Jul '14 Flatulence Fred 29
News NFL: Houston Texans cut Ed Reed, put Arian Fost... (Nov '13) Apr '14 This is Jeopardy 4
News 2014 NFL Draft: Should New York Jets Draft a CB... (Apr '14) Apr '14 1969 Super Bowl 5
News Texans' Keo sees role increase (Sep '13) Sep '13 obidiah faletoi 1
News Safety depth becoming a concern for Texans (Sep '13) Sep '13 frank 1
News Predicting Every NFL Team's Record in 2013-14 (Feb '13) Aug '13 Realistic 14
News My thoughts and an overview of every Houston Te... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Buck 1
More from around the web