Round 1 for rookie

Round 1 for rookie

There are 32 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Jun 17, 2008, titled Round 1 for rookie. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

As an amateur boxer, safety Tom Zbikowski had more than 70 fights, but none like the one he is about to enter when the Ravens open training camp July 21.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Dan

Gwynn Oak, MD

#1 Jun 17, 2008
Any insight into why he would get beat out by Nakamura or should we just take that comment at face value?
Big Fat Donut Licker

Silver Spring, MD

#2 Jun 17, 2008
What great insight! I can't wait to read the next Preston juggernaut. I'm sitting on the edge of my seat!!
Mike

Arlington, VA

#3 Jun 17, 2008
I dont understand how Nakamura could have passed him in just a couple mini-camps and OTAs. The Ravens probably saw something to use a 3rd rounder on him, so I cant believe they would all of a sudden cut him.
Tone

La Plata, MD

#4 Jun 17, 2008
He's getting beat out because he can't cover anyone and he couldn't in college. Nakamura can really play, not that Zbikowski can't but he's just not as fluent as most dbs. Maybe better adding weight and playing lb in the future
L D Smith

Baltimore, MD

#5 Jun 17, 2008
Dan wrote:
Any insight into why he would get beat out by Nakamura or should we just take that comment at face value?
Dan,
You took the words right out of my mouth. Why would a 6 rounder be that far ahead of a 3rd rouder?
ech

Baltimore, MD

#6 Jun 17, 2008
the round you are drafted in has a monetary effect only, you still have to beat out guys undrafted or drafted ahead of you. there is no lock on a job because you got drafted higher, ask brady quinn.
iam rooting for them both and may the best man win.
Confused

Bethesda, MD

#7 Jun 17, 2008
What's the point of a story about a guy who's last on the depth chart and probably not athletic enough to play pro ball (since pros run in more than straight lines)? Writing about Nakamura beating out Zbikowski would seem to have been the better story.
Harry

Rochester, NY

#8 Jun 17, 2008
Lets face it Landry and Reed will start and these other guys won't play unless injuries occurr therefore they are being carried on the roster to be back ups and mostly contribute on special teams. I felt at the time that selecting a S, Zbikowski, in rd 3 was too early esp since there were some very good and fast CBs or Wrs positions that the Ravens had much higher needs at than special teams players and back up S.
Billick

Hancock, MD

#9 Jun 17, 2008
I think they want this guy for special teams as a gunner and punt returner , that's what I would do...........I really like Mike............
jeffro

Morrisville, NC

#10 Jun 17, 2008
he is a special teams player.
BRIANA

Severna Park, MD

#11 Jun 17, 2008
To be honest completely I think that the ravens should pick the best man for the job and the best backups!!!!!!!!!! Because basely lets face it the best man should always get the starting job expecially in sports!!!!!!!!!! But I do wish everyone good luck!!!!!!!!!! And GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOO RAVENS!!!!!!!!!!111
Chris from Baltimore

Baltimore, MD

#12 Jun 17, 2008
Confused wrote:
What's the point of a story about a guy who's last on the depth chart and probably not athletic enough to play pro ball (since pros run in more than straight lines)? Writing about Nakamura beating out Zbikowski would seem to have been the better story.
The point of the story is that it's June 17th, and there ain't a whole lot of material to write about at this juncture. He's still got to submit a column. Tomorrow, he might write a thrilling piece on Mike Krasclik, the back-up practice-squad player trying to make the team for the fourth year in a row.

It's June 17th....do you know where your Ravens are?
double B

Baltimore, MD

#13 Jun 17, 2008
the ravens seems to be stocking up on safeties adn JH has complimented Landry, perhaps they are thinking of trading/dump Reed over teh next 2 years?
hellooo

Baltimore, MD

#14 Jun 17, 2008
I really doubt the Ravens are gonna trade/dump a former defensive MVP and future hall of fame safety. Maybe he gambles but the guy picked off 7 passes last year including Tom Brady and Peyton a few times in the playoffs in 06(Had two misses because Ray tipped the ball). He's widely regarded as the best safety in the NFL, but good thinking.
Dan in B-more hon

Plymouth, MN

#15 Jun 17, 2008
The Ravens could use a bit more European stock on the team.

Since: Nov 07

Baltimore, MD

#16 Jun 17, 2008
Tone wrote:
He's getting beat out because he can't cover anyone and he couldn't in college. Nakamura can really play, not that Zbikowski can't but he's just not as fluent (fluid?) as most dbs.
Exactly. From what I've read about both of them in college, and what's being said so far, I'd bet on Nakamura.
Nick

Mansfield Center, CT

#17 Jun 17, 2008
"The Ravens usually keep four on the roster, and if they had to start the season now, sixth-round draft pick Haruki Nakamura would probably beat out Zbikowski for the final spot."

Your out of your mind if you think on June 17th that the Ravens would cut a 3rd round draft pick. Now that the Kyle story is old and Billick is gone you have nothing else to write why not pick on one of the new kids...
Dan Cody

Baltimore, MD

#18 Jun 17, 2008
Why don't they write about me? It's June 17th and I'm still healthy. That's a big story isn't it? I'm usually done for the year by now.
Tim

United States

#19 Jun 17, 2008
Either Nakamura, Zbiby, or Leonhard is going to have a 'mysterious' season ending injury at the end of camp.
Tinsu

Mokena, IL

#20 Jun 17, 2008
Confused wrote:
The point my friend is that Notre Dame sells papers. You mention it and it's gold. Who cares about other schools when you can read about ND? That's why he put it in!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ed Reed Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New England Patriots: Ed Reed A Possibility at ... (Nov '13) Jul '14 Flatulence Fred 29
News NFL: Houston Texans cut Ed Reed, put Arian Fost... (Nov '13) Apr '14 This is Jeopardy 4
News 2014 NFL Draft: Should New York Jets Draft a CB... (Apr '14) Apr '14 1969 Super Bowl 5
News Texans' Keo sees role increase (Sep '13) Sep '13 obidiah faletoi 1
News Safety depth becoming a concern for Texans (Sep '13) Sep '13 frank 1
News Predicting Every NFL Team's Record in 2013-14 (Feb '13) Aug '13 Realistic 14
News My thoughts and an overview of every Houston Te... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Buck 1
More from around the web